Towelrooted, tripping Knox editing Build.prop?

Search This thread

xmguy

Sep 18, 2009
McMinnville, TN
I'm not new to Android or rooting. I am new to Knox with my S5. If I edit the build prop for S Health fix or edit anything with Root Explorer does that trip Knox (it's frozen in Titanium Backup), or is it only installing custom recovery and roms? I've installed Nandroid online backup..but this Knox stuff has made me anxious on that too.

fffft

Jul 16, 2013
If I edit the build prop for S Health fix or edit anything with Root Explorer does that trip Knox (it's frozen in Titanium Backup), or is it only installing custom recovery and roms?

You have not, nor can you freeze the important part of Knox because it's located in the bootloader. The bootloader checks the kernel & recovery signatures and so forth on boot. Failing the signature check there is what increments the Knox flag 99/100 times.

So custom kernels or recovery, some rooting exploits or perhaps attempting to downgrade to a JellyBean bootloader will change your Knox flag. And in rare cases, just splendidly bad luck e.g. having a bad kernel crash at just the wrong time or say from the corruption resulting from a power interruption during a firmware write.

Note that you do not need to edit build.prop to make S Health work and any unsound edits there may render your device unbootable until you remedy them. But we wouldn't expect edits there to increment Knox. Not that it's impossible, but it would be a rare thing where an edit spun a fatal error during the actual signature check or something of that nature.

Reactions: xmguy

xmguy

Sep 18, 2009
McMinnville, TN
You have not, nor can you freeze the important part of Knox because it's located in the bootloader. The bootloader checks the kernel & recovery signatures and so forth on boot. Failing the signature check there is what increments the Knox flag 99/100 times.

So custom kernels or recovery, some rooting exploits or perhaps attempting to downgrade to a JellyBean bootloader will change your Knox flag. And in rare cases, just splendidly bad luck e.g. having a bad kernel crash at just the wrong time or say from the corruption resulting from a power interruption during a firmware write.

Note that you do not need to edit build.prop to make S Health work and any unsound edits there may render your device unbootable until you remedy them. But we wouldn't expect edits there to increment Knox. Not that it's impossible, but it would be a rare thing where an edit spun a fatal error during the actual signature check or something of that nature.

Thanks.

How can I make S Health work without using the build.prop edit, other than disabling or removing Xposed?

Sent from my SM-G900V using XDA Free mobile app

fffft

Jul 16, 2013
How can I make S Health work without using the build.prop edit, other than disabling or removing Xposed?

You forgot to mention your requirement for Xposed framework earlier, you only mentioned S health.
Xposed is not a stock component. Using both on the S5 is a new theme importuning the antithetical ro.securestorage flag.

xmguy

Sep 18, 2009
McMinnville, TN
You forgot to mention your requirement for Xposed framework earlier, you only mentioned S health.
Xposed is not a stock component. Using both on the S5 is a new theme importuning the antithetical ro.securestorage flag.

My mistake, sorry. If I edit that ro.securestorage area will that trip Knox? So I can use Xposed and S Health?

fffft

Jul 16, 2013
If I edit that ro.securestorage area will that trip Knox? So I can use Xposed and S Health?

Lots of people have done that edit and it hasn't changed their Knox flag. Nor can I think of a rationale why it would, unless you have a bad crash. But then it wouldn't be the edit per se that increments Knox. It would be the crash.

Reactions: xmguy

xmguy

Sep 18, 2009
McMinnville, TN
Lots of people have done that edit and it hasn't changed their Knox flag. Nor can I think of a rationale why it would, unless you have a bad crash. But then it wouldn't be the edit per se that increments Knox. It would be the crash.

So as long as I don't flash a custom rom or a recovery then I'm ok? All other edits are free without worrying about Knox?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If I edit the build prop for S Health fix or edit anything with Root Explorer does that trip Knox (it's frozen in Titanium Backup), or is it only installing custom recovery and roms?

If I edit that ro.securestorage area will that trip Knox? So I can use Xposed and S Health?

So as long as I don't flash a custom rom or a recovery then I'm ok? All other edits are free without worrying about Knox?

Yup :) that's correct .

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk