TouchOSC for Android 3.1 XOOM??

Search This thread

TouchOSC

Jun 17, 2013
Digging up the grave ...

Hi there folks, and it's a noob's first post (your intro video works on so many levels). Just digging up this old post to save you all the hassle of hacking binaries etc. Hopefully most of you have already heard (as your users) that TouchOSC has been updated on Android and has the same feature set as it's fruity cousin. No more shall you hunch over a keyboard swearing as you try to cram your latest template onto your device.

Please make sure you grab the updated editor and bridge as well, as it features more options for your template creation.

I'll be lurking around on the forum if I can be of further help regarding TouchOSC.

Cheers,

Tony

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ok so finally i got the tutorial, in two parts cause it's kinda step by step. And please excuse me for my bad english :( but i really was kinda nervous to give all the step in a way i can express myself. Hope understand it, and works for you!

Please don't forget to leave a comment, give a thanx o gift me a candy lol.

Greetings!
    ---------------

P.S.1 - The video is on HD so you can view in fullscreen to see the names and actions.
    P.S.2 - As i wrote in the description in the video, (the video is private, just people with the link can see it) and please don't copy the link to other forum, before ask my permission. (but IMHO i think if the Dev fro Hexler.net see the video, he will find the way to take of this new method to have our custom layouts, so please be carefull with the Tuto.

Youtube - TouchOSC v1.2 Custom Layouts working Tutorial - PART 1

Youtube - TouchOSC v1.2 Custom Layouts working Tutorial - PART 2
    I'm putting up this guide just to help the community until we have a more feature rich version of touchOSC for our android devices.

I'll gladly pay the $5/$6 hexler charged for the iOS version of this app once the android version is there. this app far outshines anything even remotely similar.
    and it looks pretty :p

a combination of the following worked wonders for me.
    • Cremisis Layout encoder
    • Notepad++ (for windows. I'm sure there's equivalents for all OS types)
    • Virtuos Ten Studio (you'll have to use whatever equivalent you have on your system for building/signing apks.)
    • 7-zip

and a few Regular Expressions i wrote to help edit the generated index.html

here's a small tutorial. it's primarily for windows but easily adapted to other OS's :
    • create your touchOSC layout using the touchOSC editor.
    • save your template in any location.
    • Use 7-zip and select Open Archive to open your touchOSC layout.
    • Drag and drop the INDEX.XML file somewhere.
    • Open the INDEX.XML file in Notepad++ (or whatever editor you use that support Regular Expressions)
    • Search for NAME tags and delete using this Regular Expression.
    Be aware that there is a SPACE after that second quote. that is to ensure that everything gets pulled back into place.

• Save your INDEX.XML .
    • Your 7-zip should still be open. DELETE the INDEX.XML file inside the layout archive.
    • Drag and drop your new INDEX.XML into the archive and hit yes to all the prompts.
    • Close 7-zip.
    • Open Layout Encoder.
    • Load your touchOSC layout file into Layout Encoder, select the index number you wish to replace and press encode.

Since the steps to replace the layout within Layout.smali have already been covered by intensus, i won't be going over that here.

After everything is complete - build, sign and install your APK. on windows i suggest Virtuos Ten Studio. i've been using it for a couple of weeks and absolutely love it. it does have it bugs though and does get frustrating at times.

*****UPDATE*****
    i think there's another issue (i won't say bug since we're pretty much hacking around this program). aside from the NAME and LABEL. it seems that MULTI elements cause the force closes aswell, even with the offending tags removed.
    i setup a 56 push button grid last night one by one with no issues using the steps outlined above. today i tried the exact same thing using a multipush element. all i get using the multipush is a blank screen and force closes. shame too - it took me 2 hrs to assign individual notes to each of those buttons on my 56 grid. i thought i could make it easier with a multi element :p
    this also occurs when trying to use the iPad size layout.

Credits:
    intensus - for figuring out and posting his videos on the initial custom layout injection.
    Cremisi - for his layout encoder.
    SolFire777 - for figuring out what inside the XML file was causing the force closing.
    and everyone else involved with the tools used for this tutorial. if i forgot to mention or overlooked anyone i apologize.
    you wont see very many, if any, pro music apps on android. not until they fix the delay. (i believe there is a delay in the sound driver, or something of that nature)

i dont know how to explain in better detail, but thats why you wont see a better version of touchOSC, and hexler basically is ignoring questions til google fixes android.
    too much work!

all you have to do for custom layouts is...

1. make "yourlayout" in touchosc editor.
    2. create a new folder name "yourlayout".touchosc on desktop or somewhere else so it doesn't conflict with the original file
    3. open the "yourlayout".touchosc that the editor made as a .zip file
    4. extract the index.xml file to the folder created in step 2.
    5. copy this folder over USB/SD to Android device
    6. use a file explorer with root access to then copy the folder to /data/data/net.hexler.touchosc/app_touchosc_layouts/

it will show up in the list of layouts on touchosc for android without hacking/signing APKs and all this...
    Ok so, the post come back to life. Yesterday i got the TouchOSC v1.2 update, and finally we got:

Scale to fit screen (optional)
    Multitouch Support (diveces that support it)
    Wake lock and wifi lock to keep screen and network on

This great mayor to the update are incredible but now we have another problem...

theres no "app_Touchosc_Layouts" folder to "hack" the layouts we made :confused: now think this is a great step back, because when we dont have the fullscreen, we can at least make our personal layouts and figure out how to fit the screen. But now just let us with 5 layouts :eek:.

Somebody has an idea of what can we do to have our personal layouts again?

Thanks for read.
    Inensus!