Google Maps Navigation: I've got it but I don't know how

Search This thread

jamieyates79

Apr 7, 2010
That's great news. Just rebooted my Desire and checked and the Navigate option is now there.

I got so excited I just ordered a car holder and charger from Mobile Fun :p

EDIT: Anyone know how we'd go about enabling the 'Car Dock' mode which is mentioned on Googles official Navigation page?

Last edited:

landwomble

Jun 2, 2006
front page of engadget, dude

Hi all. I was one of the people moaning about the woeful volume levels on my T-Mobile UK Desire. I solved the issue by flashing with a generic ROM (although it seems to be a Virgin Media ROM judging from the bookmarks)

Anyway, being in the UK I didn't have access to the free Google Navigation...I even gave the Brut hack a try but uninstalled it due to it's unstable nature and lack of features.

Well, I've just been prompted to update to Maps 4.1.1 and I now have navigation. Fully functional, with the arrow and the street name (both missing in the hacked version)

Is this a general roll out by Google? Is this now available to everyone, even on branded ROMs, or is this an added bonus of flashing a generic ROM?

Let me know

I've done the sane Rom update and seen the same maps update.
this thread is linked to on the front page if engadget!

Aitese

Apr 15, 2010
London
I've done the sane Rom update and seen the same maps update.
this thread is linked to on the front page if engadget!

Yeah I know...I "tipped" them (they thank me under the story!)

It seems our flashing of a generic ROM had nothing to do with it. It's working on all Android phones with 1.6 up (confirmed so far)

gogol

May 20, 2005
Uh nice ... :)

Do you need to be connected to the internet when using this Google Maps Navigation?

If not, does the (UK) map downloaded somewhere in your sd-card or something?

Brut.all

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 27, 2009
As I said in other thread:

Hah, wrong informations spread like a plague. There is news on Engadget and a wave of tweets about 4.1.1 bringing navigation to UK, but... guys, it isn't client, but server dependent. It works for GM4.1.0 too, I guess it works for any GM which supports navigation...

gogol

May 20, 2005
Ah Ok, thanks :)

It is a bit useless then for traveling country-by-country, because crossing countries will be quite costly for data traffic (data roaming).

I do this quite often, traveling between BE-NL-DE-FR :)

It's been confirmed you need to stay connected to 3G for map data, yes.

friedgoldmole

Jan 10, 2009
I'm pretty sure when it downloads the initial route it generates a vector route so you can still follow directions without a signal as long as you don't go off course. You might not get the detailed map tiles in the background, but the route is still visible I think. (From limited testing)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    glad to hear you got the volume sorted... no navigation or update to maps here.. i cant even seen google maps in the market even though it cam pre installed on my phone.. .bummer