[PROGRAM] Heimdall - Cross-Platform Open-Source Flashing Software (1.0.0 Available)

Search This thread

oquinones

Jul 31, 2010
Orlando
This is what i put down....

heimdall flash --pit /Users/HyeTech/Desktop/Eugene_2E_JK2_Froyo/Eugene_2E_JK2_Froyo/s1_odin_20100512.pit --factoryfs /Users/HyeTech/Desktop/Eugene_2E_JK2_Froyo/Eugene_2E_JK2_Froyo/factoryfs.rfs --cache /Users/HyeTech/Desktop/Eugene_2E_JK2_Froyo/Eugene_2E_JK2_Froyo/cache.rfs --dbdata /Users/HyeTech/Desktop/Eugene_2E_JK2_Froyo/Eugene_2E_JK2_Froyo/dbdata.rfs --boot /Users/HyeTech/Desktop/Eugene_2E_JK2_Froyo/Eugene_2E_JK2_Froyo/boot.bin --secondary /Users/HyeTech/Desktop/Eugene_2E_JK2_Froyo/Eugene_2E_JK2_Froyo/Sbl.bin --param /Users/HyeTech/Desktop/Eugene_2E_JK2_Froyo/Eugene_2E_JK2_Froyo/param.lfs --kernel /Users/HyeTech/Desktop/Eugene_2E_JK2_Froyo/Eugene_2E_JK2_Froyo/zImage --modem /Users/HyeTech/Desktop/Eugene_2E_JK2_Froyo/Eugene_2E_JK2_Froyo/modem.bin

It's not working....i put the heimdall file in the eugene file, it's not working...

am i doing something wrong??

Ok so you navigated to your froyo folder that has the heimdall program on it too correct?

So it would look like this:
/Users/HyeTech/Desktop/Eugene_2E_JK2_Froyo/Eugene_2E_JK2_Froyo/heimdall flash --pit /Users/HyeTech/Desktop/Eugene_2E_JK2_Froyo/Eugene_2E_JK2_Froyo/s1_odin_20100512.pit --factoryfs /Users/HyeTech/Desktop/Eugene_2E_JK2_Froyo/Eugene_2E_JK2_Froyo/factoryfs.rfs --cache /Users/HyeTech/Desktop/Eugene_2E_JK2_Froyo/Eugene_2E_JK2_Froyo/cache.rfs --dbdata /Users/HyeTech/Desktop/Eugene_2E_JK2_Froyo/Eugene_2E_JK2_Froyo/dbdata.rfs --boot /Users/HyeTech/Desktop/Eugene_2E_JK2_Froyo/Eugene_2E_JK2_Froyo/boot.bin --secondary /Users/HyeTech/Desktop/Eugene_2E_JK2_Froyo/Eugene_2E_JK2_Froyo/Sbl.bin --param /Users/HyeTech/Desktop/Eugene_2E_JK2_Froyo/Eugene_2E_JK2_Froyo/param.lfs --kernel /Users/HyeTech/Desktop/Eugene_2E_JK2_Froyo/Eugene_2E_JK2_Froyo/zImage --modem /Users/HyeTech/Desktop/Eugene_2E_JK2_Froyo/Eugene_2E_JK2_Froyo/modem.bin

Sent from my Froyo loving Vibrant!

HYE_TECH

Sep 22, 2010
Philadelphia
Ok so you navigated to your froyo folder that has the heimdall program on it too correct?

So it would look like this:
/Users/HyeTech/Desktop/Eugene_2E_JK2_Froyo/Eugene_2E_JK2_Froyo/heimdall flash --pit /Users/HyeTech/Desktop/Eugene_2E_JK2_Froyo/Eugene_2E_JK2_Froyo/s1_odin_20100512.pit --factoryfs /Users/HyeTech/Desktop/Eugene_2E_JK2_Froyo/Eugene_2E_JK2_Froyo/factoryfs.rfs --cache /Users/HyeTech/Desktop/Eugene_2E_JK2_Froyo/Eugene_2E_JK2_Froyo/cache.rfs --dbdata /Users/HyeTech/Desktop/Eugene_2E_JK2_Froyo/Eugene_2E_JK2_Froyo/dbdata.rfs --boot /Users/HyeTech/Desktop/Eugene_2E_JK2_Froyo/Eugene_2E_JK2_Froyo/boot.bin --secondary /Users/HyeTech/Desktop/Eugene_2E_JK2_Froyo/Eugene_2E_JK2_Froyo/Sbl.bin --param /Users/HyeTech/Desktop/Eugene_2E_JK2_Froyo/Eugene_2E_JK2_Froyo/param.lfs --kernel /Users/HyeTech/Desktop/Eugene_2E_JK2_Froyo/Eugene_2E_JK2_Froyo/zImage --modem /Users/HyeTech/Desktop/Eugene_2E_JK2_Froyo/Eugene_2E_JK2_Froyo/modem.bin

Sent from my Froyo loving Vibrant!

Yes but i can't get it to flash....

This is what it looks like in terminal

"Hye-Techs-MacBook-Pro:Eugene_2E_JK2_Froyo HyeTech$"

What did I do here?

type heimdall flash ?

Julianmgn

1. Download and install the libusb-1.0 v1.0.8 developer package, please refer to http://www.libusb.org/.

2. Open a terminal and navigate to the directory you extracted Heimdall to.

3. Type the following:

./configure
make
sudo make install

hey im new to ubuntu and im having trouble with step 2 lol can someone post an example of what it should look like :/

Benjamin Dobell

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 1, 2010
Melbourne
www.glassechidna.com.au
Oops sorry guys. I only just realised this thread exists.

I'm the creator of Heimdall. If you're in need of any official support I'm more than happy to help out. Of course community support is what makes the XDA forums such a great place. However, if you're interested in some of the nitty gritty stuff I'll gladly lend a hand.

Although, it is a bit difficult for me to keep track of multiple threads so I'll probably be able to get back to you quicker if you post in the Galaxy S Heimdall thread. All Vibrant users should feel free to continue using this thread if they wish. However I just thought I would let you know that I haven't abandoned you!

Keslynn

May 5, 2010
Dela-where?
I got Heimdall installed fine on my computer. I'm just having problems with libusb. I tried compiling libusb per the instructions on my Mac running OS 10.6 and it couldn't do it. Could someone help me out? Is there another program I need to get to compile the darn thing?

Benjamin Dobell

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 1, 2010
Melbourne
www.glassechidna.com.au
I got Heimdall installed fine on my computer. I'm just having problems with libusb. I tried compiling libusb per the instructions on my Mac running OS 10.6 and it couldn't do it. Could someone help me out? Is there another program I need to get to compile the darn thing?

Sorry Keslynn, I missed your message until now.

However I was just dropping by this thread to let everyone know that I've just released Heimdall 1.1.0 which among other things includes a graphical user interface (Heimdall Frontend), and a proper installer for OS X.

Keyslynn, hopefully the installer should sort out any problems you were having.

Keslynn

May 5, 2010
Dela-where?
The dev has started a post that lists firmwares with the updated secondary bootloader that will allow Heimdall to recognize your device on OS X. If you are running OS X and using Heimdall, could you please help contribute to this list? I have OS X and tried Heimdall but it wouldn't recognize my phone. It would help more than a few of us out if OS X/Vibrant users chimed in with a combo that works.

Please post in this thread. Thank you!

Reactions: RipRap

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey guys. I found this over in the I9000 forum. It's an alternative to Odin. For those of us who use Mac or don't have access to a Windows machine.

Link to program:
    http://www.glassechidna.com.au/products/heimdall/

Link to thread:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=755265

IMPORTANT: If you have a Heimdall alpha 5 or older do not run it.

What is Heimdall?
    Heimdall is a cross-platform open-source utility to flash ROMs onto Samsung Galaxy S phones.

How does it work?
    Heimdall uses the same protocol as Odin to interact with a device in download mode. USB communication in Heimdall is handled by the popular open-source USB library, libusb-1.0.

Why “Heimdall”?
    The flashing software Odin is named after the king of gods in Norse mythology. Loke, the software component on the Galaxy S that provides functionality to flash, may also to be named after an important character in Norse mythology, often translated as Loki. As such I have named my flashing software Heimdall, after the Norse god, and guardian of the Bifrost Bridge.

What platforms does Heimdall run on?
    Linux, OS X and Windows (XP, Vista, 7 etc.)

Why use Heimdall when we can use Odin?
    Odin is generally unreliable and only runs on Windows systems. Furthermore, Odin is leaked Samsung software that is not freely available or well understood by the community.

Is Heimdall safe?
    No matter what method you chose, flashing firmware onto your phone has a lot of potential for disaster. We have tested Heimdall with a variety of phones flashing several different firmware versions resulting in a 100% success rate. As such we believe that Heimdall is generally reliable. However keep in mind, just like any flashing software, Heimdall has the potential to brick your phone if not used correctly.

How do Galaxy S phones get bricked when flashing?
    Besides the inherent risks like power outs, accidental removal of the USB cable etc. The Galaxy S appears to be running extremely unreliable USB control software.

A failure to flash does not automatically equate to a bricked phone. However if you're extremely unlucky and the flash fails whilst transferring the primary boot-loader, secondary boot-loader or params.lfs (all quite small) than you've got yourself a paper weight that you're hoping Samsung will replace.

Please be extremely careful mixing files from different firmware releases. Don't do so unless you're certain it will work!

What Galaxy S variants has Heimdall been tested with?
    I've tested Heimdall with a Galaxy S GT-I9000 (8 GB) from the United Kingdom and Galaxy S GT-I9000 (16 GB) from Australia. I don't have access to any other devices to test with at present, but community members have confirmed it to also function correctly for the AT&T Captivate.

Enough talk, where can we get it?
    The latest release is available here. Please read the instructions and README files included in the archives.

I love you, man. Will you have my baby?
    No, but I will very gladly accept donations. If you appreciate my work and would like to support future development you can make a donation here. If you think you have something else to offer, then feel free to shoot me a PM or contact me via the contact form on the Glass Echidna website.
    The dev has started a post that lists firmwares with the updated secondary bootloader that will allow Heimdall to recognize your device on OS X. If you are running OS X and using Heimdall, could you please help contribute to this list? I have OS X and tried Heimdall but it wouldn't recognize my phone. It would help more than a few of us out if OS X/Vibrant users chimed in with a combo that works.

Please post in this thread. Thank you!