[Q] So how many have Bootloop/Dead Earpiece Problems so far?

Search This thread

julschau

Mar 29, 2010
Hi there, both problems crop up more and more over the internets.

hmm wanted to post links to both motorola support forums and the german forum android-hilfe. but alas i can't. i'm too new here i guess.

Anyone yet?

danbutter

Feb 1, 2008
Supposedly use of the stereo jack aggravates the problem. I see this a lot in Europe and very little in the US. So far.

Yeah it would be helpful if you post saying you are having an issue if you would also say what version of the phone you have. US or UK or whatever else is out there.
Seems mostly like there are two hardware versions, but I could be wrong.

C

CSharpHeaven

less than a week of ownership and no issues so far

scrannel

Aug 27, 2007
Hi there, both problems crop up more and more over the internets.

hmm wanted to post links to both motorola support forums and the german forum android-hilfe. but alas i can't. i'm too new here i guess.

Anyone yet?

Honestly I only see the reboot on the non-US Motorola forum: three or four people in the UK. They are claiming it's related to loss of 3G?

julschau

Mar 29, 2010
i think it has something to do with specific SIM cards (3n or 5n). theres more info on the german forum of android-hilfe.de

necrolyte

May 16, 2007
Broken earpiece here. Phone wasn't even a week old. Had used the headset a few times.
Now I have my second Defy and hope that it doesn't happen again.

May 22, 2008
Madison Heights
Less than a week and no issues as of yet. I have had two random reboots so far but both were when my battery was under ten percent. Only issue I've had this far is battery life but I think its in part to me running launcher pro and not rooting yet, and the fact I use my phone ALOT. Overall I'm happy though, so much so that I will pay full price for a second one for the wife!

necrolyte

May 16, 2007
I am in Germany. They wanted to send it in for repairs first but i had them exchange it on the spot. The second one is on it's first week now. Didn't play around with the headset but am calling myself every now and then to check if the earpiece still works ;)

mindlessdrone

Dec 1, 2010
Must say it's a little worrying reading about this issue. I guess the advice ought to be to simply avoid using the headphones socket! Out of the question for some perhaps, but I would point out that bluetooth headphones/headsets are actually very affordable now. £20-£30 gets a fairly good pair of headphones, which will render this issue kinda harmless (if usage of the socket is indeed the culprit). Plus, who wants cables trailing out of their mobile phone anyway? Unless you absolutely need to use the onboard FM radio, you may as well just leave the 3.5mm socket alone, especially if there's a risk of breaking the earpiece speaker.

Despite this minor issue, I think the Defy is an awesome android phone, and highly recommended. Perhaps in the coming weeks Motorola will acknowledge this problem and sort it out completely - fixing the jack properly for future production, and maybe offering free bluetooth headphones to those who've bought a Defy with this weak socket/earpiece speaker issue (well it would only be fair, certainly cheaper than furnishing all early customers with new Defys... or would that seem to be a far-fetched dream? - help me out, I've no experience with Motorola's aftersales support! Lets hope they feel obliged to do the right thing for all of us who've decided to go for something a little different to the iphone/bberry/htc crowd)

;)

tim440

Dec 3, 2010
Sevilla
Must say it's a little worrying reading about this issue. I guess the advice ought to be to simply avoid using the headphones socket! Out of the question for some perhaps, but I would point out that bluetooth headphones/headsets are actually very affordable now. £20-£30 gets a fairly good pair of headphones, which will render this issue kinda harmless (if usage of the socket is indeed the culprit). Plus, who wants cables trailing out of their mobile phone anyway? Unless you absolutely need to use the onboard FM radio, you may as well just leave the 3.5mm socket alone, especially if there's a risk of breaking the earpiece speaker.

Despite this minor issue, I think the Defy is an awesome android phone, and highly recommended. Perhaps in the coming weeks Motorola will acknowledge this problem and sort it out completely - fixing the jack properly for future production, and maybe offering free bluetooth headphones to those who've bought a Defy with this weak socket/earpiece speaker issue (well it would only be fair, certainly cheaper than furnishing all early customers with new Defys... or would that seem to be a far-fetched dream? - help me out, I've no experience with Motorola's aftersales support! Lets hope they feel obliged to do the right thing for all of us who've decided to go for something a little different to the iphone/bberry/htc crowd)

;)

I love the phone too, but we shouldn't have to work around problems like this. What's the point in having a jack if you can't use it?

scrannel

Aug 27, 2007
Except I believe the radio (FM) will not work unless earphones are physically inserted because they act as antenna.