[SCRIPTS] Speedy v7 [UPDATED 11/24/2011]

Search This thread

0vermind

Apr 13, 2010
Salt Lake City, Utah
12816761.jpg

Update: I am now encouraging modifications. I strongly encourage anyone and everyone to play around with these scripts and modify them. If you modify it for a different device, awesome! Post it for everyone, please. :) If you find something interesting and you improve something, please post it. We should all be able to benefit from each others work.

I have created these scripts to help speed up the Droid x2 in all areas and to help conserve battery life. Not going to include a huge description this time. If you want to read the entire description behind these scripts visit my original thread for v1.

Installation
Depending on your comfort level, you may either unzip and move the scripts to init.d, or you may flash the zip file.
Speedy confirmed working on: Droid X2 all roms, Droid 3 all roms. Report if you have any problems. Please flash the universal if you are NOT coming from either of these two phones.

After installation, you should reboot at least twice, then check in /data for a ".ItWorks" file. If this file does not exist, check to make sure your file manager is showing hidden files (ES File Explorer has this issue!), also double-check to make sure you have the latest busybox installed, you could also try running Fix Permissions in ROM Manager.

If your system appears slow, you may need to boot back into recovery and wipe dalvik, and cache partition.

Any feedback you can provide will definitely help future development.

Disputes
See something you feel you should be credited for? PM me and we'll talk. Replies to this thread that are hateful, argumentative, or just plain trolling, will in fact be deleted. Yes this is my own work, except where I have given credit. :)

*** Download ***
See post #2.

Press THANKS! :)

Last edited:

0vermind

Apr 13, 2010
Salt Lake City, Utah
UPDATE (11/24/11)
Version 7! Said to be the best version of all! It's smooth! It's fast! It's awesome! 18+ hours battery life!

COMPATIBILITY: v7 has two versions. One is for the Droid X2 and Droid 3 specifically--and might work on the Atri and other blur phones. The other is UNIVERSAL, meaning it works with all devices as far as I'm aware.
If you have any problems let me know. Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated!

Note: Don't be alarmed by size difference of universal zip. It does not include the busybox binary which is an additional 1mb.

Changelog
Code:
[i] [/i]
v7
▪ DISABLES & REMOVED Android's/Motorola's useless User Tracking, Behavioral Analysis, and Statistics Reporting (Should save battery!)
▪ DISABLES Location Cache and Tracking (useless Android feature)
▪ DISABLES New & Gentle Kernel Sleepers--improving snapiness and responsiveness of system and reducing wakelocks
▪ Mounts partitions as data=writeback, causing the system to only write data when it needs to, which saves battery
▪ Optimized dirty page and dirty cache to only use 50% of inactive/unused memory
▪ Changed IO Scheduler to Completely Fair Scheduler (default)--works better for dual-core devices
▪ REMOVED Zepplinrox 3G Turbo Charge, ZipAlign, and Dalvik Cleaner (faster startup)
▪ Improved install script and how it functions
▪ Changed filesystem cache pressure to 40 to make things a bit snappier
-------------------------------------------------
--ALL PREVIOUS VERSIONS HAVE BEEN ARCHIVED--
v6
▪ REMOVED setRenice--Really didn't work really at all, guess it's a kernel thing
▪ Included Zepplinrox 3G Turbo Charge
▪ Optimized journaling commit times for /data and /cache [I]Thanks to pikachu01![/I]
▪ System will now not respond to icmp packets (pings) [I]Thanks to pikachu01![/I]
▪ Changed cache pressure back to 100 to help with slowness on some phones
▪ Added some 3G/wifi booster settings that I found back when I had the OG Droid
▪ Added prop settings for dalvik
▪ Included sqlite3 bin for db optimization (added in version 3, but did not include sqlite3 bin)
v5
▪ Modified TCP keep alive time from 30 seconds to 2.6 minutes. (Will help battery and reduce network congestion.)
▪ Reduced page expire to 1 second, seemed that pages were being kept in memory waaayyyyy too long. 
▪ Changed memory manager to prefer to keep data in memory rather than purge it for no reason (suggested by Zeppelinrox).
▪ Removed a bunch of crap scripts (not mine) from /system/bin, which helps startup time! :)
v4
▪ Fixed performance problem that plagued v3 for some phones
▪ Further increased battery life
▪ Made a cheese cake and ate it (It was delicious!)
v3
▪ [strike]Fixed flaw in how renice works. Now applications with a set value will always have that "nice" value.[/strike]
▪ Added a smart delvik cache cleaner that runs on boot
▪ Added SQL database cleanup function to 01tweaks. (Decreases db file size and increases performance. Which helps boot times, memory usage, and IO performance.)
▪ Removed unneeded logging
▪ Optimized more values
▪ Removed deepSleeper
v2
▪ Cleaned up scripts, and made some modifications, including a few to further improve battery.
▪ Added prioritizing using "renice."
 (Edit: Half works, lol)
v1
▪ Initial Release

THANKS!
Shout out to Motorola for the Droid x2, and our ROM, and to Google for making Android completely free and open-source.
I'd also like to thank the Sony Android Dev team for giving me a few pointers. Also thanks to Naven, his init.d hack/discovery is included, saving a few steps for everyone. Thanks to pikachu01 for his research and some awesome stuff I found in his threads! Thanks to everyone who has provided feedback and suggestions!

Months have went into these scripts. Let me know how well they work for you! Any and all feedback, good or bad, is very appreciated.

Attachments

• speedyv7_flashable.zip
    1.2 MB · Views: 5,996
  • speedyv7_universal_flashable.zip
    216.2 KB · Views: 2,412
Last edited:

nitwit

Feb 17, 2007
Glad to see your continued efforts, thank you!

Im doing a complete wipe tonight and going to Eclipse 0.5 so I'll try these out as part of that update.

Do you happen to know if the method of rebooting the phone to fix the battery life issue is really necessary if we have your scripts in place?

L2_n19h7m4r3

Aug 25, 2009
This is great! Mike, thanks!!! Glad to see your further development/tweaking of these scripts.

EDIT: Installed over v1 on Eclipse 0.5, had to download and flash your init.d re-hack, installed v2 and we're off to the races!

Last edited:

X0dus

Apr 17, 2011
Cornvoy
Busy Box 1.19 good to go for use with these scripts?

Sent from my DROID X2 using XDA App

donlad

Sep 23, 2010
I have installed RoadRunner and I am sad to report that now doubleTwist skips more than before with Speedy. :/

EDIT: I made sure the scripts were still running by deleting the zipalign log in /data/ and rebooting, and it reappeared.

Last edited:

MrWilliams2

Aug 4, 2010
I have installed RoadRunner and I am sad to report that now doubleTwist skips more than before with Speedy. :/

EDIT: I made sure the scripts were still running by deleting the zipalign log in /data/ and rebooting, and it reappeared.

Bummer. I've just flashed Eclipse v0.5 and flashed the new speedy scripts. I'm recalibrating my battery now. I'll test for skips with PowerAmp Pro tomorrow and report back. Thanks 0vermind!

Elite49

Jul 5, 2011
Thanks will deff. check this out later today. Deff. need that guide for making our own priority list since I use none of those.

I do notice I still get audio skips. I DO use Stock Music with Equalizer with its new version and it still skips.

As for NitWit, I think we still need too. I'm pretty sure that would of been a big feature if that was in this script. Hopefully someone can fix that crap.

L2_n19h7m4r3

Aug 25, 2009
This is great! Mike, thanks!!! Glad to see your further development/tweaking of these scripts.

EDIT: Installed over v1 on Eclipse 0.5, had to download and flash your init.d re-hack, installed v2 and we're off to the races!

cani just flash over v1?

Same question. Install over v1?

Sent from my DROID X2 using xda premium

Read above. Worked for me.

MrWilliams2

Aug 4, 2010
EDIT: Those are are running v2, please let me know if you notice any differences, good or bad. Any feedback you can provide will definitely help future development.

The phone is running superbly! Everything is extremely quick and lag free. However, the audio issues still remain. I would be comfortable saying the skipping isn't quite as bad, but it's still aggravating. I'm using PowerAmp Pro.

EDIT: Running Eclipse v0.5 and Speedy v2.

donlad

Sep 23, 2010
Those are are running v2, please let me know if you notice any differences, good or bad. Any feedback you can provide will definitely help future development.

There you go.

Reactions: steve2711

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    12816761.jpg

Update: I am now encouraging modifications. I strongly encourage anyone and everyone to play around with these scripts and modify them. If you modify it for a different device, awesome! Post it for everyone, please. :) If you find something interesting and you improve something, please post it. We should all be able to benefit from each others work.

I have created these scripts to help speed up the Droid x2 in all areas and to help conserve battery life. Not going to include a huge description this time. If you want to read the entire description behind these scripts visit my original thread for v1.

Installation
    Depending on your comfort level, you may either unzip and move the scripts to init.d, or you may flash the zip file.
    Speedy confirmed working on: Droid X2 all roms, Droid 3 all roms. Report if you have any problems. Please flash the universal if you are NOT coming from either of these two phones.

After installation, you should reboot at least twice, then check in /data for a ".ItWorks" file. If this file does not exist, check to make sure your file manager is showing hidden files (ES File Explorer has this issue!), also double-check to make sure you have the latest busybox installed, you could also try running Fix Permissions in ROM Manager.

If your system appears slow, you may need to boot back into recovery and wipe dalvik, and cache partition.

Any feedback you can provide will definitely help future development.

Disputes
    See something you feel you should be credited for? PM me and we'll talk. Replies to this thread that are hateful, argumentative, or just plain trolling, will in fact be deleted. Yes this is my own work, except where I have given credit. :)

*** Download ***
    See post #2.

Press THANKS! :)

UPDATE (11/24/11)
    Version 7! Said to be the best version of all! It's smooth! It's fast! It's awesome! 18+ hours battery life!

COMPATIBILITY: v7 has two versions. One is for the Droid X2 and Droid 3 specifically--and might work on the Atri and other blur phones. The other is UNIVERSAL, meaning it works with all devices as far as I'm aware.
    If you have any problems let me know. Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated!

Note: Don't be alarmed by size difference of universal zip. It does not include the busybox binary which is an additional 1mb.

Changelog
    Code:
    [i] [/i]
    v7
    ▪ DISABLES & REMOVED Android's/Motorola's useless User Tracking, Behavioral Analysis, and Statistics Reporting (Should save battery!)
    ▪ DISABLES Location Cache and Tracking (useless Android feature)
    ▪ DISABLES New & Gentle Kernel Sleepers--improving snapiness and responsiveness of system and reducing wakelocks
    ▪ Mounts partitions as data=writeback, causing the system to only write data when it needs to, which saves battery
    ▪ Optimized dirty page and dirty cache to only use 50% of inactive/unused memory
    ▪ Changed IO Scheduler to Completely Fair Scheduler (default)--works better for dual-core devices
    ▪ REMOVED Zepplinrox 3G Turbo Charge, ZipAlign, and Dalvik Cleaner (faster startup)
    ▪ Improved install script and how it functions
    ▪ Changed filesystem cache pressure to 40 to make things a bit snappier
    --ALL PREVIOUS VERSIONS HAVE BEEN ARCHIVED--
    v6
    ▪ REMOVED setRenice--Really didn't work really at all, guess it's a kernel thing
    ▪ Included Zepplinrox 3G Turbo Charge
    ▪ Optimized journaling commit times for /data and /cache [I]Thanks to pikachu01![/I]
    ▪ System will now not respond to icmp packets (pings) [I]Thanks to pikachu01![/I]
    ▪ Changed cache pressure back to 100 to help with slowness on some phones
    ▪ Added some 3G/wifi booster settings that I found back when I had the OG Droid
    ▪ Added prop settings for dalvik
    ▪ Included sqlite3 bin for db optimization (added in version 3, but did not include sqlite3 bin)
    v5
    ▪ Modified TCP keep alive time from 30 seconds to 2.6 minutes. (Will help battery and reduce network congestion.)
    ▪ Reduced page expire to 1 second, seemed that pages were being kept in memory waaayyyyy too long. 
    ▪ Changed memory manager to prefer to keep data in memory rather than purge it for no reason (suggested by Zeppelinrox).
    ▪ Removed a bunch of crap scripts (not mine) from /system/bin, which helps startup time! :)
    v4
    ▪ Fixed performance problem that plagued v3 for some phones
    ▪ Further increased battery life
    ▪ Made a cheese cake and ate it (It was delicious!)
    v3
    ▪ [strike]Fixed flaw in how renice works. Now applications with a set value will always have that "nice" value.[/strike]
    ▪ Added a smart delvik cache cleaner that runs on boot
    ▪ Added SQL database cleanup function to 01tweaks. (Decreases db file size and increases performance. Which helps boot times, memory usage, and IO performance.)
    ▪ Removed unneeded logging
    ▪ Optimized more values
    ▪ Removed deepSleeper
    v2
    ▪ Cleaned up scripts, and made some modifications, including a few to further improve battery.
    ▪ Added prioritizing using "renice."
     (Edit: Half works, lol)
    v1
    ▪ Initial Release

THANKS!
    Shout out to Motorola for the Droid x2, and our ROM, and to Google for making Android completely free and open-source.
    I'd also like to thank the Sony Android Dev team for giving me a few pointers. Also thanks to Naven, his init.d hack/discovery is included, saving a few steps for everyone. Thanks to pikachu01 for his research and some awesome stuff I found in his threads! Thanks to everyone who has provided feedback and suggestions!

Months have went into these scripts. Let me know how well they work for you! Any and all feedback, good or bad, is very appreciated.
    v7 released! Check OP!! Happy Turkey day everyone!
    Updated again! Version 6. See OP.
    So most of you are probably wondering where I have been. Well here's an update. Been working on a lot of things, business-wise, trying to grow my business, also working on Android stuff, got a replacement x2, but Verzion wanted to try sending me a Droid 3.. mixed feelings about it, didn't really like it, vibrator was weird, don't really use the slide out keyboard, heavy. Memory usage not so great. Worse than the x2, that's why they put 1GB in the Bionic (same OMAP dual-core as Droid 3).

Anyways, working on porting 1080p video on out x2. Won't be keeping the Droid 3, it's really not for me. With that said, out phones support 1080p just fine.