S Note is Rubbish

Search This thread

colint3

Mar 20, 2009
I used to have a Note 8 and the S Note was great. Could start to write at the top and as each page filled up it would insert another page. I am talking about hand writing that is changed to type.

The S Note on the 10.1 2014 is utter rubbish. You cannot start typing at the top of a document and keep typing until a page is filled. You are FORCED to use text boxes. This means that if you just keep typing in the same box it does not overflow onto another page.

Does anyone have the Note 8 S Note .apk

Regards

Colin

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
The S Note on the 10.1 2014 is utter rubbish.

No offense, but your lack of investment in even trying to find out how to do what you're moaning about is rubbish. Did you really think Samsung would blow-away a highly used feature like ink-to-text? Moving to the new version of S Note was kind of jarring at first but it does everything the old version does/did with less clutter and easier access to highly used features. After time I've grown to prefer it.

Reactions: Elim and lsherif

nrage23

No offense, but your lack of investment in even trying to find out how to do what you're moaning about is rubbish. Did you really think Samsung would blow-away a highly used feature like ink-to-text? Moving to the new version of S Note was kind of jarring at first but it does everything the old version does/did with less clutter and easier access to highly used features. After time I've grown to prefer it.

While I had the Note 8 I did the hack that allowed the Snote from the Note 2014 to be used on the Note 8. I prefer the newer version of Snote also.

Sent from my SM-T320 using XDA Premium HD app

colint3

Mar 20, 2009

With respect you have not read my post right. I click on the "T" for text then write in the box below and my handwriting is changed into text up above as I am writing. It is in a damned box which I cannot find out how to change. I have searched this forum and youtube and found nothing. The little box you show on top doesnt give me the options you show the only option i get is lasso or rectangle. I do get the options if I write freehand then select the writing. I do not want to do it that way.
Can anyone tell me how to get rid of the dammed box.

Last edited:

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
With respect you have not read my post right. I click on the "T" for text then write in the box below and my handwriting is changed into text up above as I am writing. It is in a damned box which I cannot find out how to change. I have searched this forum and youtube and found nothing. The little box you show on top doesnt give me the options you show the only option i get is lasso or rectangle. I do get the options if I write freehand then select the writing. I do not want to do it that way.
Can anyone tell me how to get rid of the dammed box.

You mean the title box at the top of the first page? Long press it and these are your options...

As for the rectangle tool... Handwrite your full page of notes, select the rectangle tool, and drag it to cover the entire page. The transform options then present themselves.

colint3

Mar 20, 2009
This is what I mean. See the blue line around the text that is a text box and when you hit return the text box gets bigger. There is no way to get rid of the text box that I can find.

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
This is what I mean. See the blue line around the text that is a text box and when you hit return the text box gets bigger. There is no way to get rid of the text box that I can find.

That IS the title box. It's meant to be filled in with the keyboard. When the keyboard pops-up you're select handwriting mode which is fine but the title box is the only thing on a blank page that accommodates text; even if you choose to handwrite vs. type that text. All you need to do is handwrite whatever you want on an S Note page and when you're finished use the method I describe to convert it to text. The old S Note "insert text box" has been replaced with the method I've described.

Edit: I just deleted the title box. When I hit "text" it popped up another box just like the title box. So you CAN use boxes and the handwriting keyboard to create "on the fly" converted-to-text handwritten notes. That's pretty much the way the old S Note "insert text box" worked. Personally, with the introduction of "transform" I don't see a benefit of screwing around with real time conversion; it just slows down my note taking.

Last edited:

colint3

Mar 20, 2009
That IS the title box. It's meant to be filled in with the keyboard. When the keyboard pops-up you're select handwriting mode which is fine but the title box is the only thing on a blank page that accommodates text; even if you choose to handwrite vs. type that text. All you need to do is handwrite whatever you want on an S Note page and when you're finished use the method I describe to convert it to text. The old S Note "insert text box" has been replaced with the method I've described.

Edit: I just deleted the title box. When I hit "text" it popped up another box just like the title box. So you CAN use boxes and the handwriting keyboard to create "on the fly" converted-to-text handwritten notes. That's pretty much the way the old S Note "insert text box" worked. Personally, with the introduction of "transform" I don't see a benefit of screwing around with real time conversion; it just slows down my note taking.

How did you delete the text box. Never mind found it.
I am sorry but the method you suggest is consulted. Each time I want to convert text I have put a box around it and say convert. Why do that when I can convert on the fly. I repeat my request anyone got the Note 8 SNote apk it was much better.

Last edited:

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
I am sorry but the method you suggest is consulted. Each time I want to convert text I have put a box around it and say convert. Why do that when I can convert on the fly. I repeat my request anyone got the Note 8 SNote apk it was much better.

I really think you're just confused.

There are two ways to convert ink to text in the new S Note

1. Write your heart out on as many pages as you want and then select all or part of what you've handwritten and convert it to text after-the-fact; including translation in to multiple languages. Unless you have unbelievable penmanship and get a 90+% accuracy rate on the handwriting keyboard then it's a much better solution, at least it is for me. The way you're describing either slows me down considerably correcting misinterpretation of my handwriting as I write or if I go for speed tons of after-the-fact corrections I need to make.

2. Create text boxes (which are really designed for text-based graphical elements, not full-page notes) anywhere and everywhere you want and use the handwriting keyboard to convert ink-to-text on the fly. This works the same as I remember the old S Note working on my N10.1-12.
With the introduction of S Finder you can now search on handwritten notes so I don't need as many of my notes converted to text. If they are for my own personal use I'm fine leaving them in handwritten form. And the new method (transform) lets you pick and choose what you want converted. For example, of three pages of handwritten meeting notes there may be a couple of paragraphs or sentences I'll want to reference in a follow-up e-mail or document. I'll transform them, copy/paste them in text form where I want them, and then undo the transform which leaves the whole note handwritten.

With all that said, I still don't understand what you're trying to accomplish that any of the above doesn't address or that the old S Note did better or differently. The help file available in S Note has a great deal of info and a ton of shortcuts. You might want to read it. Also there's a Windows version of S Note that allows you to create new notes on your PC, view/edit notes from your device, and keep them sync'd. It only works with the new S Note format that was introduced starting with the N3. To each their own but I can't imagine going back to the old S Note.

http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/usefulsoftware/snote/

Reactions: Elim and colint3

colint3

Mar 20, 2009

1. Write your heart out on as many pages as you want and then select all or part of what you've handwritten and convert it to text after-the-fact; including translation in to multiple languages. Unless you have unbelievable penmanship and get a 90+% accuracy rate on the handwriting keyboard then it's a much better solution, at least it is for me. The way you're describing either slows me down considerably correcting misinterpretation of my handwriting as I write or if I go for speed tons of after-the-fact corrections I need to make.

2. Create text boxes (which are really designed for text-based graphical elements, not full-page notes) anywhere and everywhere you want and use the handwriting keyboard to convert ink-to-text on the fly. This works the same as I remember the old S Note working on my N10.1-12.
With the introduction of S Finder you can now search on handwritten notes so I don't need as many of my notes converted to text. If they are for my own personal use I'm fine leaving them in handwritten form. And the new method (transform) lets you pick and choose what you want converted. For example, of three pages of handwritten meeting notes there may be a couple of paragraphs or sentences I'll want to reference in a follow-up e-mail or document. I'll transform them, copy/paste them in text form where I want them, and then undo the transform which leaves the whole note handwritten.

With all that said, I still don't understand what you're trying to accomplish that any of the above doesn't address or that the old S Note did better or differently. The help file available in S Note has a great deal of info and a ton of shortcuts. You might want to read it. Also there's a Windows version of S Note that allows you to create new notes on your PC, view/edit notes from your device, and keep them sync'd. It only works with the new S Note format that was introduced starting with the N3. To each their own but I can't imagine going back to the old S Note.

That is exactly my Point. On the Note 8 you could write in the yellow box and it was converted into text as you went. Not in a text box just on the paper. You could if you wanted create a text box or you could just write and convert as you go. I want what the Note 8 could provide. I dont want to write freehand until I am finished then put a box around it to convert it to text. My hand writing is bad real bad but the Note 8 way I could see when I made a mistake. Waiting until all my writing was done would be a nightmare, trying to figure out what I really meant.
I have tried it your way and it was terrible.
I have found another app that will do it so am not going to try SNote any more.

But thanks for your patience.

Colin

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
On the Note 8 you could write in the yellow box and it was converted into text as you went.

It's been a while since I used the old S Note but if I remember correctly when you opened a new note there were two text boxes. One for the title and one below which could be used for body text. The only difference between the old and new S Note is that with the introduction of transform there's no longer a second text box that can be used for body text automatically present. If while the text "T" is highlight you touch the line underneath the title with the pen a text box will appear that looks and behaves exactly the way it did on the old version. So to make the new S Note behave like what you're used to now requires the extra step of creating a second text box. Am I missing something?

clouds5

Feb 8, 2011
If you're just typing stuff, why not use another app like the preinstalled polaris office? S note is meant for handwriting and it does a good job at it IMHO. But there are always options. Like lecture notes...

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
If you're just typing stuff, why not use another app like the preinstalled polaris office? S note is meant for handwriting and it does a good job at it IMHO. But there are always options. Like lecture notes...

He's talking about writing in the stock keyboard and having it convert to text that appears in S Note. I used it too before transform and S Search were introduced. It was pretty much the only way to get handwriting in to text.

Duly.noted

Dec 5, 2013
Your all such.........ugh.....he wants to do it on the fly similar to a text layer in lecture notes or the way the old snote did text notes. He also specifically pointed out the desire for snote to continue automatically adding pages as he continued writing which it will not do in the new version. One issue I find with snote on the 2014 is the lack of portrait oriented notes. I cant change mine to portrait no matter what I do.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

GeorgeP

Sep 19, 2007
One issue I find with snote on the 2014 is the lack of portrait oriented notes. I cant change mine to portrait no matter what I do.

Not sure I follow you. You know you can create a notebook using a portrait template, right? From main (Recent notes) screen, Menu > Use New Template, then choose one of the portrait templates.

Duly.noted

Dec 5, 2013
Mine doesnt have any portrait templates only landscape ones. Trust me I've looked. I even tried creating custom templates by putting them into the file system. Nothing. Can you post a screen shot showing a protrait template?

GeorgeP

Sep 19, 2007
Mine doesnt have any portrait templates only landscape ones. Trust me I've looked. I even tried creating custom templates by putting them into the file system. Nothing. Can you post a screen shot showing a protrait template?

Here.

SNoteTemplate.png

Reactions: Elim and BarryH_GEG

colint3

Mar 20, 2009
Your all such.........ugh.....he wants to do it on the fly similar to a text layer in lecture notes or the way the old snote did text notes. He also specifically pointed out the desire for snote to continue automatically adding pages as he continued writing which it will not do in the new version. One issue I find with snote on the 2014 is the lack of portrait oriented notes. I cant change mine to portrait no matter what I do.

I am going to give you a thanks because you are the only one to understand what I was on about. As the new Snote will not do what I want I have purchased Notes Mobile which allows me to do what I want.

Regards

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Because the interface is changed and cleaned but the functions are still there... maybe it is time to read the handbook?

Here's my take on the new S Note over the old. The old was dated looking from the day it was released. All the functions were in your face in tool bars and menus whether you used them frequently or rarely. Having all the tools, options, and rulers shown all the time also consumed a lot of screen real estate. The new version's cleaner and the functions used most are prominent with others either a menu or long press away. It's also infinitely faster when doing anything from saving to formula calculation.

To me, being able to use transform after-the-fact takes away the need to figure out in advance what I'm going to do with a specific note I'm creating. Not all my notes are equal and some end up being irrelevant so having to go through the gymnastics of turning them from ink-to-text in real-time which, with iffy handwriting, is time consuming and prone to error is a waste of time.

As said previously, now that S Search can search on handwriting I rarely convert my handwritten notes to text. Most of the time I'll convert excerpts if I need to reference them in an e-mail or more formal document. Before Scrap Book I used the old S Note to collect ideas and content. Now I use S Note almost purely for notes and Scrap Book to collect ideas and content to support them. Neither S Notes or Scrap Book files can be viewed on anything but a Samsung device so everything anyone here creates that's destined to be shared needs to be moved to a more accessible format. If I know I'm going to be using a bunch of content in a "real" document to be viewed by others I use a faux-Office app (Hancock's now my favorite) and a keyboard. Meeting notes, on the fly ideas, and Action Memos are great with handwriting as an input method. Other than that and for anything lengthy it's a BT keyboard for me.

Everyone uses their devices differently, has different views on handwriting for data entry, and different criteria for what they save/collect and how. So there's no wrong way really. I totally agree with you that the majority of "the new S Note sucks" posts are from people that haven't taken the time to figure out the changes or logic behind them. The OP's issue seems to be that with the introduction of transform as the primary way to convert ink-to-text he misses the direct text input that existed in the old version.

Other than OP's ink-to-text methodology change issue there's nothing I've noticed missing from the new S Note compared to the old. And being able to use S Note for Windows (which only works with the new S Note format) to copy and paste from my device-created S Notes in to desktop Word and Outlook is a God send. So to each their own but people not happy with the new S Note owe it to themselves to invest some time to figure out Samsung's changes and the logic, which is fairly consistent, behind them.
    The S Note on the 10.1 2014 is utter rubbish.

Here.

SNoteTemplate.png
    And don't forget the 138 portrait backgrounds too...