**Bootlooping Network Problem *FIX INSIDE*

Search This thread

Sax1031

Dec 29, 2011
thanks guys

2nd time I have had this happen. 1st time I pulled the sim out and did a factory reset.

this time I changed the mode back to CDMA + LTE/EVDO.

dalvear88

Dec 19, 2011
i'm getting something similar to this, but i'm getting it when i try to flash an ics rom. Every single one that i try seems to do the same thing to me, boots up like normal, but then has no signal, and gets stuck on an activation screen with a ring going around and around over and over, then it just happens to shut down and keeps doing that over and over, havent tried this, but about to, hope this works.......

dalvear88

Dec 19, 2011
i'm getting something similar to this, but i'm getting it when i try to flash an ics rom. Every single one that i try seems to do the same thing to me, boots up like normal, but then has no signal, and gets stuck on an activation screen with a ring going around and around over and over, then it just happens to shut down and keeps doing that over and over, havent tried this, but about to, hope this works.......

Yeah so this fix didnt end up working for this particular issue i'm having, not sure at all what would be directly related to this, but i'll keep searching. If anyone has any ideas, it would be much appreciated.

Reactions: aostl

joblabbo

Jun 11, 2010
Woke up today to see the phone bootlooping so I mailed it out for the HTC warranty repair. Lets hope they don't complain about the relocked bootloader..

Sometimes after a bootloop I would have widgets unable to load and also had the double screen glitch after doing an unlock http://youtu.be/n7YX-PrJkVQ it was infrequent but concerning.

and there were the gralloc_unlock warnings going crazy in the logcat logs. I was able to find a msm8660 file that disabled the error output but did not change anything.

W/msm8660.gralloc(27909): gralloc_unlock hnd->base 0x477c7000, hnd->offset 0x0

My guess is its either the gpu or mainboard/nand.

Last edited:

k1ng r4t

Feb 22, 2012
So what do you do if your phone doesn't stay usable long enough to dial this number or download an app from the market? I'm terrified of restarting my phone now, living in fear that I'll have to a FDR and enter in all my information for the umpteenth time and debate if I want to restore from TiBu or just start fresh.

Soooo frustrating, especially just coming from a Bionic, as this was offered as a replacement. Btw I'm on the OTA, unlocked, and rooted with AmonRa. Please help, I really don't want to go through the hassle of locking/unrooting this thing to send it in for ANOTHER replacement phone...

Sax1031

Dec 29, 2011
So what do you do if your phone doesn't stay usable long enough to dial this number or download an app from the market? I'm terrified of restarting my phone now, living in fear that I'll have to a FDR and enter in all my information for the umpteenth time and debate if I want to restore from TiBu or just start fresh.

Soooo frustrating, especially just coming from a Bionic, as this was offered as a replacement. Btw I'm on the OTA, unlocked, and rooted with AmonRa. Please help, I really don't want to go through the hassle of locking/unrooting this thing to send it in for ANOTHER replacement phone...

as far as I know the problem is the phone searching for the wrong network.

pulling the sim should buy you as much time as your battery would allow. you just have to change the network mode and put the sim back in to have service again.

k1ng r4t

Feb 22, 2012
Man, there's gotta be another way, I feel like I'm at a VZW store. I really appreciate your response, but I promise you, I have tried the SIM pull/SD card/Bat pull/"safe mode" in every combination possible with no success. I live in Atlanta so this thing is always on CDMA/LTE in the main settings. When I try to dial the numbers, it will ALWAYS give me the "Handcent has force closed" message while entering the numbers, and when i click force close, it goes away and erases what I've put in so far, and I can only get in another *# before it restarts again. I literally have tried this one way or the other maybe 30-40 times now since the first time it happened last night.

Edit: So I did another factory reset. This time when I restored apps from TiBu from my Bionic I went through and manually selected the important ones instead of just restore all. I tried to only restore apps that DID NOT require root access, just games and stuff with saved data. The other times it's happened was whenever I would reboot after doing a full restore. So this time immediately afterwards I rebooted, loaded up with 0 problems. Tried it again, no problems. Going to power off again and create a nand backup, then reboot through recovery. At this point, at least in my situation, it's a combination of apps/restored data (possibly issues with Moto files conflicting with HTC files?), so I'll just hang out a bit and keep rebooting to see if it happens again. The fact that it was always Handcent which prompted the FC and ultimately the reboot makes me think that's the culprit...

Last edited:

merlin66676

Jul 16, 2010
I received an email from HTC telling me to try running in safe mode for a couple days. Uhm. Duh. Runs fine until I restart. Guess ill try removing some apps and see if that makes a difference. I've tried rebooting twice today and both times went into a bootloop.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using XDA App

k1ng r4t

Feb 22, 2012
I received an email from HTC telling me to try running in safe mode for a couple days. Uhm. Duh. Runs fine until I restart. Guess ill try removing some apps and see if that makes a difference. I've tried rebooting twice today and both times went into a bootloop.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using XDA App

Yeah, instead of loading my Titanium Backup from my Bionic I decided to just start new and see if it still happened with every reboot. Nope. Definitely seems like more than just a network issue. The network is causing it, but the question is what's causing the network to go all screwy..

esheesle

Nov 30, 2010
Yeah, instead of loading my Titanium Backup from my Bionic I decided to just start new and see if it still happened with every reboot. Nope. Definitely seems like more than just a network issue. The network is causing it, but the question is what's causing the network to go all screwy..

I think your reboot issues might have been different than most of ours with this problem. You indicated it was every reboot and certain apps would cause it while booted. That sounds like an app restoring problem(titanium is nice but can cause these). The problem most seem to encounter is that on reboot the phone gets stuck in WCDMA mode and then bootloops until you pull off the back cover (which allows you to fix it).

k1ng r4t

Feb 22, 2012
I think your reboot issues might have been different than most of ours with this problem. You indicated it was every reboot and certain apps would cause it while booted. That sounds like an app restoring problem(titanium is nice but can cause these). The problem most seem to encounter is that on reboot the phone gets stuck in WCDMA mode and then bootloops until you pull off the back cover (which allows you to fix it).

Ah, I figured as much. Especially coming from a Moto phone to HTC, I knew there was bound to be some issue. I ended up only restoring like 60 of the 180 files to restore, avoiding anything that needed root access or messed with the system, mostly just getting games and save data. And yeah, no issues so far. At least when it comes to the boot looping, I'm having a few other random issues such as the bottom buttons not always lighting up or the home button not going to the home screen, just goes to whichever screen it was last on, but still doesn't go to the home from there. Weird.

Thanks for your response though.

Sax1031

Dec 29, 2011
Hopefully they have a fix soon.

working on the 5th boot loop now. boot lopped on me yesterday. and now doing it again today.

detroit123

Apr 13, 2008
These IDIOTS at HTC need to admit that there is design flaw with the Rezound
It is a High End Phone in many ways but too many people are having the Boot Looping issue. Until this phone, I never had that with any other phone; my last few phones were HTC EVO 3D and EVO 4G
I don't think any app is causing it; they have a problem with the way the phone connects between 3G and 4G and the back door also has an antenna and so it affects it. I had this happen to me a month ago while out of town in NYC;
no point in me calling HTC since they have no clue and will tell me this is the first time they have heard about even though 10 million people already complained about it

txkorm

Nov 24, 2007
San Antonio
Ok, here is another option. Forgive me if I'm repeating but I basically read page 1 and 12 to get my phone up and running and nothing in between. Take the cover off, turn the phone on. try as quick as possible to get to the settings and click on wireless network, then mobile networks, then network mode and change it to LTE/CDMA.

It's basically the same thing everyone else has been doing on the 1st and last page of this thread but it was the quickest option for me at least.

How I got into a bootloop.
I knew I was going to need a lot of battery life becaues I was going to be out at a bar for a good 8 hours so I turned LTE off the same way as above. My battery was practically dead so I shut it down before it died on me. Went to the car and got my extended battery, and bam! Bootloop. Before I read this thread I came to the conclusion that is was because the network had dropped to 1X before I shut it down. I don't know if this helps to confirm anything but figured I'd share it in hopes that someone smarter then me can use it to find a fix.

My advice , NEVER shut your phone down if you don't have LTE on.

Last edited:

detroit123

Apr 13, 2008
yes that is a great point. having the phone in 3G and then having to restart is where most people are having the problem
this is still unacceptable in terms of these fools at HTC; they still don't know about this. they blame 3rd party software and this and that but it is never their fault ! what a joke
but here is another bit of bad news; I have had the phone restart automatically twice on me this week. the phone was on and sitting right next to me and suddenly restarted without me touching it. Now I had it on 4G so the phone eventually came back on to normal but what if I had it in 3G and all of a sudden it does that? I know if I visit NYC I am putting in in 3G because I notice Verizon 4G coverage in that area is spotty so it drains the battery; if I keep in 3G the battery lasts all day easily
I am afraid of this sudden restarting that I have seen this week

Sax1031

Dec 29, 2011
The way I was using my phone before, and the only way I need to use it, was to shut it down at night. During the day I am either in clinic or at school mostly. I don't need my phone so I would keep it off and turn it on at lunch just to check for messages.

Now I am literally scared to turn the phone off. And that does frustrate me. Now I have just left it on.

I hate having to worry about the phone boot looping every time I turn the phone off.

Also mostly when I turned the phone on was when I was getting into the car and leaving to go home. If it starts bootlooping while driving I have to let it boot loop till I get to the house. And that takes a big chunk out of a fully charged battery.

txkorm

Nov 24, 2007
San Antonio
The way I was using my phone before, and the only way I need to use it, was to shut it down at night. During the day I am either in clinic or at school mostly. I don't need my phone so I would keep it off and turn it on at lunch just to check for messages.

Now I am literally scared to turn the phone off. And that does frustrate me. Now I have just left it on.

I hate having to worry about the phone boot looping every time I turn the phone off.

Also mostly when I turned the phone on was when I was getting into the car and leaving to go home. If it starts bootlooping while driving I have to let it boot loop till I get to the house. And that takes a big chunk out of a fully charged battery.

I think that your paranoia is ruining your experience of your phone. I'm not saying it's not justified but I hope you take my advice so you can build up more confidence in the phone and enjoy it for the reasons you purchased it. If you read my post, then you know not only how to resolve the problem but how to prevent it.

I personally don't use the LTE on/off switch anymore because I felt it was causing network issues, again maybe a coincidence, but after uninstall a lot less signal drops and 1X connections. Unlike the TBOLT, the Rezound has a setting in the network settings that will enable you to switch off LTE if you need to. Don't let your phone die, or turn off your phone if the LTE network is not checked.

So, turn your phone off and not worry about it as long as you abide by the above guidelines. If it turns out I'm wrong, then it's easy to get it back up and running. Since you're worried, go through a dry run of where to switch the LTE on and off so you'll be able to do it without frustration. Once I read the OP I knew what to do and it took me two restarts. One with the back off and then with the back on. Done!

Enjoy your phone dude! Worry about other things..... like when ICS will come to us. :D

KORM via the beast known as the Rezound.

esheesle

Nov 30, 2010
Just an added detail, I haven't had the issue at all over the past month. I've been shutting the phone down and then turning back on. In 3g at all times. No guarantees but seems promising that reboot could be tied to the problem.

In any case it is easy to fix, phone boots, bootloops, pull back cover, wait for boot, change setting, replace cover, phone works.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    A factory reset is NOT needed!!

---------------------------------------------
    i decided to do a fresh restart of my phone so i poewred it down, and did a battery pull after the phone was completely off. turned it back on, gets to lock screen, i unlock......sits..loading...screen goes black, and whattya know, white HTC splash screen. a few times. it's bootlooping!

Basically, with the cover off, it stopped bootlooping..therefore, it was a NETWORK ISSUE.

EDIT* this WORKED! anyone who has this issue please do the following: (source http://www.droidforums.net/forum/htc-rezound/184994-rezound-stuck-boot-loop.html)

STEP 1: TAKE BATTERY COVER OFF. this will prevent the phone from trying to connect to the network.

*#*#4636#*#* Under phone info you will find that the network is factory set to WCDMA Preferred... I guess the SIM card decides sometime along the way that it doesn't like that much... Setting the network to CDMA EVDO/LTE - Auto completely corrects the problem

another poster said that after you do this, hit home, power down the phone, pull sim card out, put it back in, then reset it. i didn't do this; i just went back, put the battery cover on, it froze like usual, reset itself, and now it's working perfectly.

**UPDATE** A few people are saying that along with taking off their battery cover, they have to REMOVE THEIR SIM CARD AS WELL! i did not have to do this, but some people did. take that into consideration!

(brockeverly stated:
    You may have to take your SIM out for this to work. I did even with the back off. Aside from that, this works fantastic.)

for some reason, this is what happens: under phone info, as it says, it will reset to WCDMA Preferred for NO reason whatsoever! this must have happened when i shut my phone down; other people are reporting that doing "reboot" does this frequently for them! this is the first time in my month of ownership i saw this happen, so this was new to me...but thankfully, we have a fix!

As another way of doing this, Marclile said:

"For anyone interested, you can download this app and get straight into that config menu.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.geoffreybuttercrumbs.lteswitch

I use it to switch from "CDMA + LTE/EvDo auto" to "CDMA auto (PRL)". The CDMA auto setting doesn't seem to have the reboot problem, so you should be able to put it on that if you don't want 4G turned on all the time."
    Latest response from HTC that I got yesterday.

Thank you for your response Mike.

HTC is aware of the issue with power cycling and our developers are currently assessing this important matter. At this time I do not yet have the ETA to provide you for an update, however it is an issue of critical importance and the development team is working diligently to correct this for all users of the Rezound.

In preparation for a possible maintenance release, make sure that your phone has the most up to date software available. This will ensure that when updates are available that your phone will be able to install them immediately.

To check your ROM version and see the details of the last update please visit the official HTC web portal at http://www.htc.com/us/support/rezound-verizon/downloads/ .

I deeply regret any inconvenience this may cause Mike, and hope that an update is available for you soon to correct this troubling issue. Thank you for your patience and cooperation while we help you to restore your phone to a fully functional state.
    http://www.droidforums.net/forum/htc-rezound/184994-rezound-stuck-boot-loop.html

EDIT* this WORKED! anyone who has this issue please do the following:

*#*#4636#*#* Under phone info you will find that the network is factory set to WCDMA Preferred... I guess the SIM card decides sometime along the way that it doesn't like that much... Setting the network to CDMA EVDO/LTE - Auto completely corrects the problem

another poster said that after you do this, hit home, power down the phone, pull sim card out, put it back in, then reset it. i didn't do this; i just went back, put the battery cover on, it froze like usual, reset itself, and now it's working perfectly. holy hell this god damn phone just gave me a heart attack!

for some reason, this is what happens: under phone info, as it says, it will reset to WCDMA Preferred for NO reason whatsoever! this must have happened when i shut my phone down; other people are reporting that doing "reboot" does this frequently for them! this is the first time in my month of ownership i saw this happen, so this was new to me...but thankfully, we have a fix!
    For anyone interested, you can download this app and get straight into that config menu.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.geoffreybuttercrumbs.lteswitch

I use it to switch from "CDMA + LTE/EvDo auto" to "CDMA auto (PRL)". The CDMA auto setting doesn't seem to have the reboot problem, so you should be able to put it on that if you don't want 4G turned on all the time.
    You may have to take your SIM out for this to work. I did even with the back off. Aside from that, this works fantastic.