[REQUEST][IDEA]Shield TegraZone/Hub Homescreen mod

Search This thread

yackaro

Apr 27, 2014
If you don't like the original android launcher for using the controller to navigate your apps, you're definitely not alone. I've found that the Shield Hub, or TegraZone if you haven't updated it yet, is far more controller friendly than the official Google launcher. I know that they kept the Google launcher because they wanted to keep as much of the stock android experience as possible, but with a controller, it's easier to reach over the controller and use the touchscreen. My idea? Modify the TegraZone APK to work as a launcher. Then, after that, remove the filter on the "My Android Games" page, rename it to just "Android Apps", and remove the media tab if possible. This would help to separate/minimize/reduce the need of the touchscreen when choosing an app to launch.

psycho1200

Jun 20, 2012
Ecatepec
I agree with you, but what you are asking for is too dificult to do, and i dont mean changing the apk, the problem is that we dont have alot of developers for the shield, and most of the apks and code are not 100% accesible to create mods

leolawliet

Aug 7, 2011
New York, NY
www.facebook.com
It is possible. Either by decompiling the .apk and making the necessary edits, or downloading the sources and making the changes you need to make then recompiling it. If I knew more I would've started deving for this device. Our dev community is surprisingly small, I'm honestly surprised we don't have custom ROMs yet but I understand if the reason is fully voiding the warranty.

Sent from my SHIELD Portable using Tapatalk

yackaro

Apr 27, 2014
I would honestly do it myself if my warranty wasn't out yet, but unfortunately (and fortunately in other ways) i'm still in warranty, if spilling water all over the controller/body/main part doesn't void anything. Don't ask, I was trying to change the song in the shower,and the water ran down my arm. lucky for me no visible or functional damage was caused by the water, not even battery terminal shorting, which would cause heavily reduced battery life which I didn't get from the water. all's still workin well on this sturdy freakin' beast, I even dropped a book on it and it shot from the table 3 feet to the floor once and didn't even have a scratch. thing is a beast when it comes to sturdiness and apparently water tightness also, even in the thumbsticks.

Sent from my nVidia Shield using XDA Free mobile app