[Q] Blank OS in HBOOT

Search This thread

RockStar2005

May 22, 2014
Hello everyone,

So I've looked around on this topic and it's still an issue, albeit a minor one. I have the T-Mobile HTC One M8 phone........ unlocked/rooted, and S-OFF'd. I am currently using ViperOne M8, which is awesome!

When I boot to HBOOT after installing new firmware the OS line is filled in, but after booting to Recovery and going back to HBOOT, the OS line is now blank. I've been told this is a bug in TWRP, and not a bug or issue anywhere else. I've tried 2 different approaches to fixing it. One entailed flashing a new ZIP (or flashing something), but the instructions stated that I needed to boot to Recovery while in Stock Recovery, which my phone does not do. It's only when I use a TWRP Recovery that I am able to go into any Recovery Menu. The other one had to do with flashing a zipped firmware, but even though that flash worked just fine, it still didn't resolve the OS issue. I have tried looking all around, but either I'm missing something, or it's just not knowing enough about what I'm reading to recognize the right answer.

So please, will someone tell me HOW do I get rid of that pesky TWRP bug that causes the OS line in HBOOT to blank out after only 1 visit to recovery post-firmware update?

I would appreciate ANY info you can give me.

Thank You,

RockStar2005

RockStar2005

May 22, 2014
The Answer!!

IGNORE this post!! Scroll down to my "2nd September 2014, 5:17 PM" post instead for what you're really looking for!

RockStar2005

Ok got it!

Download the modified TWRP from here:

http://xdaforums.com/show...php?p=54054835

You are going to have to flash your current firmware first before installing it for the OS info to show up again in HBOOT. You can use the Flashify app to install it or else just do it the PC/ADB way using command prompt like I did. It totally worked for me, so go ahead and try it!!

If you have questions on how to flash anything, lemme know.

RockStar2005

Last edited:

RealZac

Jun 15, 2009
near Stuttgart
Lenovo P11
Ok got it!

Download the modified TWRP from here:

http://xdaforums.com/show...php?p=54054835

You are going to have to flash your current firmware first before installing it for the OS info to show up again in HBOOT. You can use the Flashify app to install it or else just do it the PC/ADB way using command prompt like I did. It totally worked for me, so go ahead and try it!!

If you have questions on how to flash anything, lemme know.

RockStar2005

Unfortunately your link to the modified TWRP leads to a 404. :(
Is there a new thread?

RockStar2005

May 22, 2014
The True Fix

Is there a new thread?

Hey Zac,

Forget about that TWRP. It wasn't good. Please DELETE any backups you made using it and the twrp image file itself as they are all corrupted and won't boot up (I found this out after my initial post here). Read this post I put elsewhere for the real deal Holyfield lol:

So I ended up finding a RELIABLE fixed current version of TWRP on xda you may wanna check out. You can find it here: http://themikmik.com/showthread.php?16278-SPRINT-RECOVERY-TWRP-Recovery-(UNOFFICIAL)-v2-7-0-4 (Go to that link then Control + F this: "Downloads TWRP Recovery 2.7.1.0 (DH) | Mirror (AFH) - build date: July 13, 2014". I downloaded from the Mirror link.)

Don't worry about it saying Sprint...... the dev CONFIRMED it works for all variants/carriers. So after creating a new backup using the standard twrp, I went back to stock recovery, re-flashed my most recent firmware (2.22.401.5), and then switched over to that new version of twrp........ created a new backup and then restored it using that new version. Worked like a charm!! And the "blank OS" issue........... gone! I highly recommend it!!

If you have any other questions Zac, please post here and I will respond.

RockStar2005

Reactions: gadibob and RealZac

BerndM14

Apr 8, 2014
I needed to boot to Recovery while in Stock Recovery, which my phone does not do.

It does, when you reach the screen with the small phone in the middle(upside down exclamation mark in it) just press volume up(hold) and tap power button. That takes you into stock recovery menu.

Just for future references... :good:

RockStar2005

May 22, 2014
It does, when you reach the screen with the small phone in the middle(upside down exclamation mark in it) just press volume up(hold) and tap power button. That takes you into stock recovery menu.

Just for future references... :good:

Hey BerndM14,

I'm 99% sure I tried doing that when I got that screen you just described, and all my phone did was reboot.... and not to recovery either. I dunno. It's not a big deal as I've since resolved the issue by finding a newer "fixed" version of TWRP and/or firmware (whatever the issue was, I think it was with TWRP though).

Maybe next time I do a firmware upgrade and have to go back to stock recovery, I'll try it again.

Thanks!

RockStar2005

BerndM14

Apr 8, 2014
Hey BerndM14,

I'm 99% sure I tried doing that when I got that screen you just described, and all my phone did was reboot.... and not to recovery either. I dunno. It's not a big deal as I've since resolved the issue by finding a newer "fixed" version of TWRP and/or firmware (whatever the issue was, I think it was with TWRP though).

Maybe next time I do a firmware upgrade and have to go back to stock recovery, I'll try it again.

Thanks!

RockStar2005

I also had the phone reboot, problem I had was that I held volume up + power, which wasn't right. Just hold volume up and TAP power. Either way though.

For future references like I said :good:

Reactions: RockStar2005

RockStar2005

May 22, 2014
I also had the phone reboot, problem I had was that I held volume up + power, which wasn't right. Just hold volume up and TAP power. Either way though.

BerndM14,

Ok I see.........so TAPPING not holding Power and holding Volume+Up. Got it.

Thanks for the clarification!

RockStar2005

Reactions: BerndM14

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The True Fix

Is there a new thread?

Hey Zac,

Forget about that TWRP. It wasn't good. Please DELETE any backups you made using it and the twrp image file itself as they are all corrupted and won't boot up (I found this out after my initial post here). Read this post I put elsewhere for the real deal Holyfield lol:

So I ended up finding a RELIABLE fixed current version of TWRP on xda you may wanna check out. You can find it here: http://themikmik.com/showthread.php?16278-SPRINT-RECOVERY-TWRP-Recovery-(UNOFFICIAL)-v2-7-0-4 (Go to that link then Control + F this: "Downloads TWRP Recovery 2.7.1.0 (DH) | Mirror (AFH) - build date: July 13, 2014". I downloaded from the Mirror link.)

Don't worry about it saying Sprint...... the dev CONFIRMED it works for all variants/carriers. So after creating a new backup using the standard twrp, I went back to stock recovery, re-flashed my most recent firmware (2.22.401.5), and then switched over to that new version of twrp........ created a new backup and then restored it using that new version. Worked like a charm!! And the "blank OS" issue........... gone! I highly recommend it!!

If you have any other questions Zac, please post here and I will respond.

RockStar2005
    Thank you for this detailed answer!
    I will test it. :)

You're quite welcome! And make sure to check HBOOT (Bootloader) AFTER going to fixed TWRP to verify the OS line is NOT blank.

RockStar2005
    Every time I flashed the firmware I realized that "OS.." displayed the correct version.
    I double an triple checked that. ;)

So I did know that this blank OS only showed up after flashing the TWRP standard version.

Zac,

Ok cool.

Have a good one!

RockStar2005
    Hey BerndM14,

Thanks!

RockStar2005

BerndM14,

Ok I see.........so TAPPING not holding Power and holding Volume+Up. Got it.

Thanks for the clarification!

RockStar2005