[ADB/FB/APX Driver] Universal Naked Driver 0.73

Search This thread

1wayjonny

Jan 3, 2007
Universal Naked Driver 0.73
** Nvidia Shield ADB added (ADB & Fastboot Only)
** Will update with APX asap

Universal Naked Driver 0.72
** HTC One Added (HTC phones are pretty much future proof with my driver)
** Google Nexus 4 Added
** Google Nexus 10 Added
** Google Nexus Q Added
** Google Nexus S Added

32 & 64 Bit Windows 8 / 7 / Vista / XP - Attached to this post!
MD5: 5B9EA9C73066E8F655D14BBA8318C176

I am happy to release my Universal Naked Driver. This is to allow ADB, Fastboot & APX interfaces to work without installing any package much less multiples packages for users with multiple devices. Yes you can just install them and uninstall right away but why bother?

I was annoyed that I couldnt use my Transformer Prime and Galaxy Nexus without having versions and packages trip over each other. My previous post for the Sensation & Galaxy Nexus was helpful so I thought I would bring to XDA the newest Android driver available from source (which they call 4.0) and make it start talking.

Warning: Uninstall any previous driver package's you may have installed and also manually remove drivers by attaching your phone and going to Windows device manager and right click the entry for your phone and select "Uninstall" on the next prompt make sure to select "Delete the driver software for this device" then hit OK and reboot before installing these drivers

Code:
Google Nexus Devices ADB & Fastboot
Samsung Devices ADB & Fastboot
Asus Devices ADB, Fastboot & APX
HTC Devices ADB & Fastboot

Code:
[B]Windows 8 Instructions[/B]

How to Disable Driver Signature Enforcement in Windows 8:

From the Metro Start Screen, open Settings (move your mouse to the bottom-right-corner of the screen and wait for the pop-out bar to appear, then click the Gear icon).
Click ‘More PC Settings’.
Click ‘General’.
Scroll down, and click ‘Restart now’ under ‘Advanced startup’.
Wait a bit.
Click ‘Troubleshoot’.
Click ‘Advanced Options’
Click ‘Windows Startup Settings’
Click Restart.

Enjoy!

Attachments

• Universal_Naked_Driver_0.73.zip
    8.3 MB · Views: 200,441
Last edited:
D

Deleted member 5103593

Thank you very much! I just used your drivers and successfully unlocked my bootloader on my Nvidia Shield!

agrabren

Inactive Recognized Developer
Mar 28, 2011
Weld County, CO
You are welcome, glad to know it making things easier.

I will make an auto root batch job once a recovery is made for the device. Shouldn't be too long...

I used to have one (TWRP) but because touch will be much harder (or impossible) on this device, TWRP isn't a viable recovery for SHIELD. Instead, it looks like we'll need to use CWM, the dpad, and the A and B buttons. :)

AndrewNeo

Sep 12, 2008
www.neocodenetworks.com
I used to have one (TWRP) but because touch will be much harder (or impossible) on this device, TWRP isn't a viable recovery for SHIELD. Instead, it looks like we'll need to use CWM, the dpad, and the A and B buttons. :)

What's wrong with the touchscreen on the device? Or did you not know it had a multitouch screen? (I can't imagine a modern Android implementation without one, ick)

PR0XIDIAN

Dec 20, 2011
Colorado Springs
What's wrong with the touchscreen on the device? Or did you not know it had a multitouch screen? (I can't imagine a modern Android implementation without one, ick)

Nothing is wrong with the touchscreen, but its awkward to use when you have the controller attached to the screen. I'm very scared about the modding community for this device. It looks like the streaming might be broken by custom roms. That being said, I really want to root and put a custom rom on mine. We'll have to see how popular it gets here in the community.

agrabren

Inactive Recognized Developer
Mar 28, 2011
Weld County, CO
Nothing is wrong with the touchscreen, but its awkward to use when you have the controller attached to the screen. I'm very scared about the modding community for this device. It looks like the streaming might be broken by custom roms. That being said, I really want to root and put a custom rom on mine. We'll have to see how popular it gets here in the community.

The issue with the touchscreen is the driver. While it runs great in Android, it doesn't work in recovery, making a touch-based recovery a nightmare. Believe me, I already tried for a few days. I'm sure with enough time, I could get it working, but I didn't want to invest that much time with all the other things on my plate at the moment. I just don't expect recovery to come out this week with touch. :)

wwjoshdew

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Dec 30, 2008
Seattle
tinyurl.com
Last edited:

1wayjonny

Jan 3, 2007
Reactions: wwjoshdew

wwjoshdew

Dec 30, 2008
Seattle
tinyurl.com
Thanks for the video, I was testing something for Nvidia today and did 10 re-install without the SSD RAID 0 i have and it was killing me.

Once you have SSD you cant go back and yes daughters are LOUD! I have one ... =)

I will probably post the video in the OP of all my UNDriver threads.

haha. She's a trip though. Thanks a lot dude, you don't see to many "screen captures" that show the computer rebooting and everything! lol

Evo_Shift

Jan 17, 2011
Ok I'm clearly doing something wrong. I need to reinstall the fastboot driver. I had it working properly before but need to install them on a different computer.

I plug the shield in and Windows auto installs a driver. The device is identified as the SHIELD but it's an adb driver (but doesn't allow me to send fastboot commands). When I try to update the driver it says it is up to date. If I uninstall that adb driver that gets auto installed by Windows and try to navigate to the universal driver folder and click one of the inf files in there windows says it isn't a compatible and to make sure it is for an x64 system. If I browse to the i386 folder nothing comes up. I'm really getting irritated.

Is there just a normal fastboot driver somewhere that isn't a universal driver? Typically if I have a correct driver and choose "Have Disk" and browse to my driver it will install, but not this time.

I am not sure if I have a previous driver conflicting or something. I don't have like 4 Android devices I used to have any more so uninstalling those drivers isn't possible. I just don't understand why Windows can be so difficult on something so trivial.

I'm using Windows 7.

Last edited:

wwjoshdew

Dec 30, 2008
Seattle
tinyurl.com
Ok I'm clearly doing something wrong. I need to reinstall the fastboot driver. I had it working properly before but need to install them on a different computer.

I plug the shield in and Windows auto installs a driver. The device is identified as the SHIELD but it's an adb driver (but doesn't allow me to send fastboot commands). When I try to update the driver it says it is up to date. If I uninstall that adb driver that gets auto installed by Windows and try to navigate to the universal driver folder and click one of the inf files in there windows says it isn't a compatible and to make sure it is for an x64 system. If I browse to the i386 folder nothing comes up. I'm really getting irritated.

Is there just a normal fastboot driver somewhere that isn't a universal driver? Typically if I have a correct driver and choose "Have Disk" and browse to my driver it will install, but not this time.

I am not sure if I have a previous driver conflicting or something. I don't have like 4 Android devices I used to have any more so uninstalling those drivers isn't possible. I just don't understand why Windows can be so difficult on something so trivial.

I'm using Windows 7.

I had the SAME PROBLEM! I uninstalled the drivers, and chose from the list manually! Eventually you choose have disk and there is a long list of things. Find NVIDIA Fastboot from that list.

rojyCY2.png

6ZaeHOk.png

F4ZEoDv.png

57CTjoD.png

Evo_Shift

Jan 17, 2011
I swear I tried that. I think I may have unplugged my device and plugged it back in after uninstalling because I thought I couldn't find it in the device manager after I uninstalled it. I bet it was listed with a yellow exclamation point somewhere in there but I just skipped over it or something.

I wish my work computer didn't lock me out of everything so I didn't have to wait to get home to try it again...

And off topic...I wish I got those kind of speeds in your sig on Sprint. My LTE (Galaxy S3) is hardly faster than 3G in Minneapolis. Though it isn't officially launched yet.

Last edited:

wwjoshdew

Dec 30, 2008
Seattle
tinyurl.com
I swear I tried that. I think I may have unplugged my device and plugged it back in after uninstalling because I thought I couldn't find it in the device manager after I uninstalled it. I bet it was listed with a yellow exclamation point somewhere in there but I just skipped over it or something.

I wish my work computer didn't lock me out of everything so I didn't have to wait to get home to try it again...

And off topic...I wish I got those kind of speeds in your sig on Sprint. My LTE (Galaxy S3) is hardly faster than 3G in Minneapolis. Though it isn't officially launched yet.

HERE YOU GO @Evo_Shift! (And others having trouble running fastboot commands on their NVIDIA Shield!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSisjVwcPbE

@1wayjonny, (and @agrabren) what do you think? :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Evo_Shift

1wayjonny

Jan 3, 2007
HERE YOU GO @Evo_Shift! (And others having trouble running fastboot commands on their NVIDIA Shield!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSisjVwcPbE

@1wayjonny, (and @agrabren) what do you think? :)

I have seen this many times if the driver is correct and user is having issues its usually because of the following.

A) Cable is not good, try changing a few cable and all should be well. I have even seen OEM cables give issues with fastboot for some reason on multiple devices.

B) User is trying to use a USB 3.0 port, you can replace the microsoft stack with the intel stack allowing for communication over USB 3.0 - Some other USB 3.0 chipset may have issues as well such as Astek etc.

Its important to remember that not all cables are pinned out the same. For example the Xbox 360 FREE ethernet cable only was 100mbps because they choose to save the money by only using 4 of the 8 available wires to reduce cost.

** UPDATE **

After watching the video it seems like you are forcing the driver which is OK. The driver 0.73 will pick up the shield in adb or fastboot automatically.

If its not the devices is not registering to the computer correct and I would check the cable and avoid USB 3.0 port until you work this out.

Was this a USB 3.0 port? If no go right for the cable and try 3-5 different cables.

Last edited:

Evo_Shift

Jan 17, 2011
I finally got it. I am pretty sure it is because of incorrect adb drivers getting auto installed on me when I plugged in the Shield. I wish you could force Windows not to autoinstall drivers when you plug something in and instead always choose your own location. Once I deleted enough of the incorrect drivers and installed the correct drivers to the SHield again it seems to work.

wwjoshdew

Dec 30, 2008
Seattle
tinyurl.com
I have seen this many times if the driver is correct and user is having issues its usually because of the following.

A) Cable is not good, try changing a few cable and all should be well. I have even seen OEM cables give issues with fastboot for some reason on multiple devices.

B) User is trying to use a USB 3.0 port, you can replace the microsoft stack with the intel stack allowing for communication over USB 3.0 - Some other USB 3.0 chipset may have issues as well such as Astek etc.

Its important to remember that not all cables are pinned out the same. For example the Xbox 360 FREE ethernet cable only was 100mbps because they choose to save the money by only using 4 of the 8 available wires to reduce cost.

** UPDATE **

After watching the video it seems like you are forcing the driver which is OK. The driver 0.73 will pick up the shield in adb or fastboot automatically.

If its not the devices is not registering to the computer correct and I would check the cable and avoid USB 3.0 port until you work this out.

Was this a USB 3.0 port? If no go right for the cable and try 3-5 different cables.

Nope. A USB 2.0 port. That first video that I made (That you said "I will probably post the video in the OP of all my UNDriver threads."), did it correctly. But for some reason, it would work JUST FINE in ADB mode, but NOT in fastboot. I couldn't get "fastboot oem unlock" to work for the life of me, until forcing it to install after choosing "have disk". After that, it worked fine. Just showing that "manual" method for people that have their Shield working find while in android, but not in fastboot. I'm not saying anyone sole person is responsible for it not working, just showing a manual way around it.

Lord fiSh

Aug 10, 2009
Leipzig
hmm...
I have only "Nvidia Shield" not Nvida Shield ADB in my devices Manager - adb is enabled

Code:
adb devies
List of devices attached

(none)

themichael

Jul 15, 2011
New York
Nope. A USB 2.0 port. That first video that I made (That you said "I will probably post the video in the OP of all my UNDriver threads."), did it correctly. But for some reason, it would work JUST FINE in ADB mode, but NOT in fastboot. I couldn't get "fastboot oem unlock" to work for the life of me, until forcing it to install after choosing "have disk". After that, it worked fine. Just showing that "manual" method for people that have their Shield working find while in android, but not in fastboot. I'm not saying anyone sole person is responsible for it not working, just showing a manual way around it.
Had this issues so I installed the "manual" way and still commands wont work in fastboot

Edit: followed the video as opposed to the sceenshots above. Good to go now.

Last edited:
Reactions: wwjoshdew

Trooper_Max

Jan 27, 2011

Is APX mode available on NVIDIA Shield? I've used APX mode before on my Notion Ink Adam (Tegra 2), but I have read that the OUYA (Tegra 3) has APX mode encrypted or something so you would have to know the key to use it.

Would be nice to have APX mode on the Shield, but probably not necessary.

~Troop

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Universal Naked Driver 0.72
    ** HTC One Added (HTC phones are pretty much future proof with my driver)
    ** Google Nexus 4 Added
    ** Google Nexus 10 Added
    ** Google Nexus Q Added
    ** Google Nexus S Added

32 & 64 Bit Windows 8 / 7 / Vista / XP - Attached to this post!
    MD5: 5B9EA9C73066E8F655D14BBA8318C176

I am happy to release my Universal Naked Driver. This is to allow ADB, Fastboot & APX interfaces to work without installing any package much less multiples packages for users with multiple devices. Yes you can just install them and uninstall right away but why bother?

I was annoyed that I couldnt use my Transformer Prime and Galaxy Nexus without having versions and packages trip over each other. My previous post for the Sensation & Galaxy Nexus was helpful so I thought I would bring to XDA the newest Android driver available from source (which they call 4.0) and make it start talking.

Warning: Uninstall any previous driver package's you may have installed and also manually remove drivers by attaching your phone and going to Windows device manager and right click the entry for your phone and select "Uninstall" on the next prompt make sure to select "Delete the driver software for this device" then hit OK and reboot before installing these drivers

Code:
    Google Nexus Devices ADB & Fastboot
    Samsung Devices ADB & Fastboot
    Asus Devices ADB, Fastboot & APX
    HTC Devices ADB & Fastboot

Code:
    [B]Windows 8 Instructions[/B]

How to Disable Driver Signature Enforcement in Windows 8:

From the Metro Start Screen, open Settings (move your mouse to the bottom-right-corner of the screen and wait for the pop-out bar to appear, then click the Gear icon).
    Click ‘More PC Settings’.
    Click ‘General’.
    Scroll down, and click ‘Restart now’ under ‘Advanced startup’.
    Wait a bit.
    Click ‘Troubleshoot’.
    Click ‘Advanced Options’
    Click ‘Windows Startup Settings’
    Click Restart.

Enjoy!
    I made a very high quality tutorial (video) on how to do this! Thanks @1wayjonny!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--6OlA4agPo

How To Unlock the Bootloader: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Am5WYRojMs

How To Root the Nvidia Shield: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4-C0CzKoFs

Fix Fastboot issues on Windows 8: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSisjVwcPbE
    Thank you very much! I just used your drivers and successfully unlocked my bootloader on my Nvidia Shield!

You are welcome, glad to know it making things easier.

I will make an auto root batch job once a recovery is made for the device. Shouldn't be too long...
    Driver installation with Win7 x64

I followed previous instructions and never succeed installing the drivers.
    So I started to make a few mods here and there and here's what succeed for me :

1) First, the only way to suceed at this (for me at least) is to reboot Shield and let it wait in bootloader mode (press back+home, and tap Shield buttons) and connect it to PC with USB cable
    2) Then on PC go to Windows Device Manager /Right click, select update driver /Browse my computer.... /Let me pick from a list.... /Show all device (do not select anything) and press Next /Have Disk / Browse to driver location /Select Android_winusb.inf /Scroll down to Nvidia Shield ADB/Next.
    3) Go through "Driver not signed" ...Install anyway...
    Now I see a new item "Android Device/ Nvidia Shield ADB" in Device Manager

(I hope it helps others).
    You'd be better off in the Shield Tablet section. This section is for the Shield Portable.

Oh I see, my bad. I saw Shield and it's still a bit confusing with all the Shields around. At least they're not as bad as all the Kindle Fire models that have come out >.<