discussion of s-off

Search This thread

nerdyessence

Aug 23, 2012
Oklahoma, USA
I'm still a noob so I apologize for the stupid question I'm about to ask. I've finally decided to attempt to get S-Off. Would it be in my best interest to back everything and wipe everything before attempting to do the S-Off?

queenshawtii

Oct 31, 2010
re-root with s-off

I just got a rezound and the girl I bought it from un-rooted the phone before selling it but its s-off. I've been been trying to figure out how to re-root it with s-off. The instructions she gave was to first flash superuser and then add recovery (CWM or Amon-ra) but from what I've been reading, It seems like I need to flash recovery first, (I want to flash AmonRA) then add superuser am I on the right track?

torr310

Mar 26, 2011
My hboot version was 2.27 but after S-Off it became 2.25. Could someone please let me know if I should update to version 2.27? If so, how?

Thank you!

Last edited:

CharliesTheMan

My hboot version was 2.27 but after S-Off it became 2.25. Could someone please let me know if I should update to version 2.27? If so, how?

Thank you!

If it says juoponut bear on the hboot then you're fine, 2.27 and 2.25 seem to interchange fine. But if it doesn't have the jpbear across the screen its the stock hboot, and you need to flash one of vinylfreak or apophis's unlocked hboots for full access of fastboot and adb.

So the version number isn't the issue, it's if you have an unlocked s off hboot or the stock locked one that will block things like fastboot commands.

There's a thread for both, apophis made customized versions of vinylfreaks unlocked hboot, like for instance one of the custom ones says locked in order to trick your buddies at first glance into thinking the phone hasn't been modified. Other ones have custom phrases.

Whichever you choose, I would connect your phone to the computer in disc drive. Download the file, place on external sdcard (removable disc in windows) and then check the MD5 of the file on your sdcard against the one posted with the file you downloaded. Once they match, you can swap your phone to charge only, let the sdcard mount back to the phone and disconnect and then reboot to hboot and say yes to the update like any other PH98IMG.zip, press power to reboot when it's done.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using xda premium

Last edited:
Reactions: torr310

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    We were sworn to confidentiality until the exploit is released....

But yes, it works! I have seen it first hand.

But YES, S-OFF is coming your way once that team perfects the process. This I can assure.

This is all I can and will say. If I say too much HTC could close the loophole. Just like every other exploit... So dont be upset that I cannot give details.

-Scott
    The key word is hacked. If you don't want the risk of running hacked software then don't root. Or get an iphone. Otherwise grow a set of testicles or don't post.
    And Wtf is up with all this crying? They will release when they are ready. Otherwise figure it out for yourself. It's that simple.
    I notice the biggest problem makers on xda are people who contribute nothing and expect everything.
    Just saying..
    Rant over

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using xda premium
    Excellent. I just achieved s-off on the second try, after drinking since 2 this afternoon on the golf course. Was running the ICS Leak before doing the s-off method. Steps I took, if it helps anyone:

1. Downloaded the proper file for my situation.
    2. Unzipped contents, placed the 3 files in the same folder as ADB/Fastboot.
    3. Removed sd card I normally use, replaced with original Dinc sd card.
    4. With phone booted normally into BAMF Evita 2.0, hooked up USB cable.
    5. Went into folder containing s-off files and ran Controlbear as administrator.
    6. Watched it do its thing and did the "wire trick" when prompted.
    7. Phone rebooted a few times, ultimately booting into the rom I was using.
    8. Replaced SD card that I normally use, and wrote this post.

This is what worked for me, your experience may vary.
    I dunno con it probably would of been better if they sent out private invites to beta test this instead of making it public. You cant open a thread and expect people to not post. Plus we have members flaunting off s-off that doesnt help matters either.

I don't agree. They aren't members of the Rez community so they don't know who to invite. Plus, they wanted testers as soon as possible and waiting for people to respond to emails/PM would take alot longer. If you ask in a thread for people not to post, people should be able to listen. If you can't follow simple instructions you don't deserve S-OFF. I don't understand why it is so hard for people to sit down, shut up, and just wait. Most people are adults here. I am amazed that alot of people can't act like one. People flaunting S-OFF? They risked a $600 device to people they don't even know. You should be greatful that some people were willing to test and spend alot of time helping to improve the process. It is also nice to have several different people proving that it works. It is also important that people are starting S-OFF only threads like the splash screen thread. If work on that stuff doesn't start now, everyone is gonna S-OFF their device when the process is released and have nothing to do with it. It will be a hurry up and wait situation. It is also MUCH less annoying than your continued complaints about not having AOSP, the continued pestering of developers on how RIL is going, and the general vibe that I get from you about how you would have rather had a Nexus. Please just wait patiently. If you don't agree with me, please take it to PM, I am happy to talk with you there. However we need to get this back on topic.
    So i cleaned the thread.

I would rather not have to do it again.

So how about from here on out you take your trolling of one another to PM. If you have an issue that you can't get worked out or you think someone is doing something they shouldn't get a hold of a moderator. This is a much better idea than trying to prove people wrong or prove that you have the biggest e-peen.

The "issue" is currently handled, please continue with the rest of your evening.