[Expert advice needed] [HELP Reqd] Wifi connecting but not working...why?

Search This thread

mathrania

Dec 5, 2009
Toronto
I updated my HOX to ViperX JB with hBoot 1.31.
But now, it connects to WiFi router but the internet doesnt work. It works sometimes, else the internet is not working. I tried on another router at a different place, but it is not working. Also i updated hBoot to official 1.39 also, but the problem persists. Restarting the router several times and clean install of the rom didnt help. The boot.img is also from the same rom and all else works fine . What could be the problem? please someone guide me.
After a few posts down, there is another person with same issue.....

Last edited:

Mr Hofs

Sep 10, 2011
Re: Wifi connecting but not working...why?

Did you confirm the question about the kernel in the aroma installer with

NO

Reactions: mathrania

mathrania

Dec 5, 2009
Toronto

Yes.... I selected NO....

Sent from my HTC One X using xda premium

Mr Hofs

Sep 10, 2011

Try to set the router in different WiFi stages, like only use WiFi type A, or B, or G.

mathrania

Dec 5, 2009
Toronto

Tried resetting wifi router.... Also tried a 3 rd hotspot via IPHONE, but there is no data transfer..... Please help here....

mathrania

Dec 5, 2009
Toronto

mathrania

Dec 5, 2009
Toronto

Well... Flashed the new viperX release... The wifi just worked for a minute and then stopped working... Is it a hardware failure?

walkerx

May 22, 2009
South Yorkshire
i have had similar issues since moving to official JB and HTC aren't that helpful, just say must factory reset the device and see what happens - have now installed viper 3.3.1 and get the same problem - never had the problem when i was on ics - get full signal - and using wifi analyser also shows full - tried on 2.4ghz and 5ghz - it just wants to stop transferring data - if i disable wifi and reset it then it works fine for a while before no data transfer again

i've even re-configured one of my access points with a different name and set the phone to auto-switch to strongest signal, but that don't work either

Last edited:

mathrania

Dec 5, 2009
Toronto

i have had similar issues since moving to official JB and HTC aren't that helpful, just say must factory reset the device and see what happens - have now installed viper 3.3.1 and get the same problem - never had the problem when i was on ics - get full signal - and using wifi analyser also shows full - tried on 2.4ghz and 5ghz - it just wants to stop transferring data - if i disable wifi and reset it then it works fine for a while before no data transfer again

i've even re-configured one of my access points with a different name and set the phone to auto-switch to strongest signal, but that don't work either

Almost tried everything which you did... Signal bars are full... But after a while.. Like a min or so, data transfer stops.... After i disconnect and reconnect wifi, it works.. Just for a while...
Any solution...

maxilick

Jun 27, 2008
Some routers will give you a bit of **** when trying to connect to them, had a similar issue when trying to connect to my Belkin N at home and fixed by:

1.Open command prompt on your notebook that is connected to your wireless network and type "ipconfig/all"
2.Make a note of your Default Gateway ie 192.xxx,.x.x
3. On your HOX whilst connected to your wireless network go into settings press on wifi.
3.Long press on your wireless network name.
4.select modify network and select "show advanced options"
5.Make sure "none" is selected in proxy settings.
6.Make sure "static" is selected in ip settings.
7.The default gateway you noted should be entered into IP address on your phone however change the last number so if the last number is 2 change it to a 3 to keep in your routers address range.(Make sure it isnt the same as DNS 2 on your phone)
7.Enter the Default Gateway you noted in gateway on your phone as is.
8.Set network prefix length to 24.
9.In DNS 1 on your phone enter the Default Gateway address you noted as is.
10.In DNS 2 on your phone enter the Default gateway settings you noted however the last number should be changed to the following number so if the number is a 2 change to a 3.

Last edited:

pappas99

Dec 1, 2010
Adelaide
I am having the exact same issue, was having it with ICS too! However i think its router dependant because here in my apartment in finland i get the issue, but back home on my router at home it doesn't happen at all! Its definately not a hardware problem it has something to do with software or configuration. Is there an official bug identified by HTC that we can track or something? Its so annoying having to disable wifi cause you know if you leave it enabled you won't get whatsapp notifications after a while :(

oh also for the record the same router that my OneX stops sending/receiving data from has no issues with my older desire HD, wifi works on it perfectly

Reactions: pradeepvizz

pradeepvizz

Dec 24, 2010
Dubai
@mathrania, Thank you for opening the thread. i have the same problem of yours and we live in the same city!

@all
I have the same exact problem of the OP's.

WiFi has perfect signal, Perfectly connected but data transfer just does not happen. I need to turn WiFi Off and then ON to get the connection working and then in a minute the problem comes back!

I am running stock JB 4.1.1 and my phone's mother board has been recently changed last week by HTC.

Adding to this JB 4.1.1 does not connect to Enterprise networks which is a well known issue in android 4.1.1 which makes me unable to connect my phone in office... so it's like completely un usable wifi.

---------- Post added at 06:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:52 PM ----------

I am having the exact same issue, was having it with ICS too! However i think its router dependant because here in my apartment in finland i get the issue, but back home on my router at home it doesn't happen at all! Its definately not a hardware problem it has something to do with software or configuration. Is there an official bug identified by HTC that we can track or something? Its so annoying having to disable wifi cause you know if you leave it enabled you won't get whatsapp notifications after a while :(

oh also for the record the same router that my OneX stops sending/receiving data from has no issues with my older desire HD, wifi works on it perfectly

I may not completely agree that it is a router issue because i have my nexus 7 which in-fact helped me to identify that my phone suffers a problem.

Even my Sony Xperia Arc works fine..

---------- Post added at 07:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:55 PM ----------

Yes it definitely is annoying, i too had the same issue with ICS ... but i took it so seriously, it was my nexus 7 which made me realize that i have a problem.. the notifications were there on the N7 and the HOX slept nicely without anything :-/

The service center before replacing my motherboard claimed that it works fine. i would not agree and sent it back, i had an unlocked bootloader and they took special approval to change the motherboard and still the same problem!

---------- Post added at 07:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:00 PM ----------

Some routers will give you a bit of **** when trying to connect to them, had a similar issue when trying to connect to my Belkin N at home and fixed by:

1.Open command prompt on your notebook that is connected to your wireless network and type "ipconfig/all"
3. On your HOX whilst connected to your wireless network go into settings press on wifi.
7.The default gateway you noted should be entered into IP address on your phone however change the last number so if the last number is 2 change it to a 3 to keep in your routers address range.(Make sure it isnt the same as DNS 2 on your phone)
10.In DNS 2 on your phone enter the Default gateway settings you noted however the last number should be changed to the following number so if the number is a 2 change to a 3.

Thanks for the advise.. i would definitely love to have a solution for the issue. If i remember correctly i had the problem even on my office network.. in other words, was just wondering if you had the problem in all networks ?

Again to make the issue more clear, the WiFi gets connected, however the data transfer dies in sometime, at the same point of time the signals are clear and strong.

i can be 100% sure that this issue is not the same as the famous manufacturing issue with HTC one X as i got my motherboard replaced last week for the same problem and still face the issue.

mathrania

Dec 5, 2009
Toronto

Thanks for advice... But i dont have a problem with connecting to wifi.... The problem is that data transfer stops after a while and its only after JB update......

mathrania

Dec 5, 2009
Toronto
@mathrania, Thank you for opening the thread. i have the same problem of yours and we live in the same city!
Again to make the issue more clear, the WiFi gets connected, however the data transfer dies in sometime, at the same point of time the signals are clear and strong.

i can be 100% sure that this issue is not the same as the famous manufacturing issue with HTC one X as i got my motherboard replaced last week for the same problem and still face the issue.

I have same problem.... Are you sure its not hardware related... For me it happens with all wifi connections.....

pradeepvizz

Dec 24, 2010
Dubai
I have same problem.... Are you sure its not hardware related... For me it happens with all wifi connections.....

I am not saying that this is not a hardware issue, i am saying that this is not the same issue as http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1688538 .. i think you would have already read the other thread.

For me also it happens in all connections.

---------- Post added at 09:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:14 PM ----------

Thanks for advice... But i dont have a problem with connecting to wifi.... The problem is that data transfer stops after a while and its only after JB update......

i should say that this problem has become more evident after the Jelly bean update. I think back and recollect that this problem was there in ICS but in Jelly bean it is noticeable very easily.

bigoliver

Aug 22, 2011
Bridlington
www.ostones.co.uk
I believe your right that you have a different issue to the infamous grip of life wifi issue.
If you did suffer the grip of life problem you would struggle getting a connection with your/any router, (unless you squeezed your phone) you don't struggle connecting to the router so don't do the "squeeze test" or it could damage the phone further.

I'm no expert with your issue, but if it happens on stock rom then it could be hardware related, but you already know this.

Best of luck and sorry I can't help further.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk 2

pradeepvizz

Dec 24, 2010
Dubai
I believe your right that you have a different issue to the infamous grip of life wifi issue.
If you did suffer the grip of life problem you would struggle getting a connection with your/any router, (unless you squeezed your phone) you don't struggle connecting to the router so don't do the "squeeze test" or it could damage the phone further.

I'm no expert with your issue, but if it happens on stock rom then it could be hardware related, but you already know this.

Thanks, no problems.. i am going to record a video to get the problem across to HTC and our forums for help :)

pappas99

Dec 1, 2010
Adelaide
pretty sure its not hardware related because it doesn't happen on all routers/networks. If you've only tested it on one or two then try on a couple others and see. for me it only occurs on one or two out of about a dozen wifi networks

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Did you confirm the question about the kernel in the aroma installer with

NO
    try another rom and look at this https://www.google.com.eg/url?sa=t&...=iE4QN-z9TWrcqS0p2kqaZw&bvm=bv.41524429,d.Yms
    and if your phone's signal is weak even beside the router you have the problem in the link above