[MOD][GUIDE]Partition your internal SD for better App management 16GB & 32GB Models!

Which model do you own?

• Total voters
Search This thread

metalgearhathaway

Oct 6, 2009
Cookley
That's a shame :( But thanks a lot for giving it a go and testing it :)
Right here is your file, it should work as it did for my i9100. You may have to go into recovery and use the mount usb option and let your pc format the emmc area.

These are the changes:

Entry Memory Address: 0x5C8
----------------------------------------------------------

Binary Type: 0 (UNKNOWN)
Device Type: 2 (MMC)
Identifier: 11
Attribute: 1 (READ / WRITE)
Update Attribute: 0 (UNKNOWN)
Block Size: 2,293,760
Block Count: 8,388,608 - 4gb data partition
File Offset (Obsolete): 0
File Size (Obsolete): 0
Partition Name: DATAFS
Flash FileName: data.img
FOTA FileName:
Entry Memory Address: 0x64C

Identifier: 12
Attribute: 2 (STL)
Block Size: 10,682,368
Block Count: 20,043,824 - 10gb internal sd
Partition Name: UMS
Flash FileName: ums.rfs
FOTA FileName:

Entry Memory Address: 0x6D0

Identifier: 13
Block Size: 30,726,192
Block Count: 40,960 - 20mb Pre-load!
Partition Name: HIDDEN
Flash FileName: hidden.img
FOTA FileName:

This means we have now reclaimed an extra almost 500mb ( 1/2 GB) of storage from the dead!

IMPORTANT, THIS PIT ONLY WORKS FOR CUSTOM ROMS! SAMSUNG ROMS NEED PRE-LOAD! IF YOU NEED TO GO BACK TO SAMSUNG ROM PLEASE FLASH STANDARD PIT FILE ATTACHED ON OP!

Last edited:

nokiamodeln91

Jun 6, 2012
Does doing this improves phone performance??? Just asking

Sent from my GT-N7000 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Ha.. this will let you install more apps..
So what happens when you install a TW rom which has more than 20MB of apps in preload. Many custom roms have symlinked apps. Manually edit the zip? Great for AOSP/CM though... :)

Last edited:

ryomakun

Sep 15, 2011
just want ask in 4a have to flash with stock official samsung jellybean rom, where can i get that?? because i usually use custom rom. thank you

vuhothang

Jan 25, 2006
HCMC
i was odin pit with ur pit but always failt to mount emmc, i have 4GB data partition but don't have sdcard internal!!!!, may i much download pda 8xxMB on samfirmware to odin again?, i was chose pda with philz_touch_6.12.8-n7000.tar.md5 but always failt to odin, i was odin with pit only passed but don't have sdcard???
Now i pit odin to return 2GB data partition and down newset full pda to odin again.
But thank you very much!

maktama

Mar 12, 2011
i was odin pit with ur pit but always failt to mount emmc, i have 4GB data partition but don't have sdcard internal!!!!, may i much download pda 8xxMB on samfirmware to odin again?, i was chose pda with philz_touch_6.12.8-n7000.tar.md5 but always failt to odin, i was odin with pit only passed but don't have sdcard???
Now i pit odin to return 2GB data partition and down newset full pda to odin again.
But thank you very much!

After flashing 4gb pit file(with custom tar.gz kernel), go to cwm–mount and storage–mount usb storage , windows says something like "format to use bla bla partition". format with default choices, fat32 file system and uncheck fast format. Ta daaa... u have a internalsd :) Don't format mistakenly your external sd(plug out before that).

GT-N7000 cihazımdan Tapatalk 2 ile gönderildi

XxPixX

Dec 19, 2012
Warsaw
Right here is your file, it should work as it did for my i9100. You may have to go into recovery and use the mount usb option and let your pc format the emmc area.

Thanks a lot! I am backing everything up now and I will try and do it tomorrow in the morning.

EDIT: So I backed all my files up, smses, synced everything and created a nandroid. Then I flashed it in Odin but I also by accident flashed a samsung stock firmware... which of course wanted to probably use about 400MB of that preload partition but it didn't report any errors 0_o. Of course I got a bootloop afterwards (I tried a factory reset - that didn't work so the preload probaly is smaller).

Now I have got all my files back on the device and I will start restoring, I'll update this in about 1h.

Last edited:
Reactions: metalgearhathaway

metalgearhathaway

Oct 6, 2009
Cookley
Thanks a lot! I am backing everything up now and I will try and do it tomorrow in the morning.

EDIT: So I backed all my files up, smses, synced everything and created a nandroid. Then I flashed it in Odin but I also by accident flashed a samsung stock firmware... which of course wanted to probably use about 400MB of that preload partition but it didn't report any errors 0_o. Of course I got a bootloop afterwards (I tried a factory reset - that didn't work so the preload probaly is smaller).

Now I have got all my files back on the device and I will start restoring, I'll update this in about 1h.

Mistakes are how us mere humans learn :good:

Sent from my GT-I9100

Last edited:

XxPixX

Dec 19, 2012
Warsaw
Good news: the preload partition is exactly 20MB and the data partition is 4GB (just under).

Thanks a lot for all your help :)

Reactions: Hank87

vuhothang

Jan 25, 2006
HCMC
After flashing 4gb pit file(with custom tar.gz kernel), go to cwm–mount and storage–mount usb storage , windows says something like "format to use bla bla partition". format with default choices, fat32 file system and uncheck fast format. Ta daaa... u have a internalsd :) Don't format mistakenly your external sd(plug out before that).

GT-N7000 cihazımdan Tapatalk 2 ile gönderildi

Thanks!. I will again to have internal sdcard and report later! :)

---------- Post added at 12:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:36 AM ----------

Ok thanks! after just odin n7000 16gb variant - 4gb data - 20 pre load - untested.pit only now in cwm in kernel before (AryMod 4.5) use mount and storage-> mount usb storage my pc can format this partition 9,45MB. Now reflash AryMod 4.5!

Thank you so much maktama.

Kamy

Aug 29, 2012
Beijing
Thanks!. I will again to have internal sdcard and report later! :)

---------- Post added at 12:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:36 AM ----------

Ok thanks! after just odin n7000 16gb variant - 4gb data - 20 pre load - untested.pit only now in cwm in kernel before (AryMod 4.5) use mount and storage-> mount usb storage my pc can format this partition 9,45MB. Now reflash AryMod 4.5!

Thank you so much maktama.

I think you are not following what it is said.
Just remember if you go back to stock or to a custom rom that does use preload, you'll need to flash my regular files
AryaMod indeed is using preload folder so you would face some problem. That pit is for non-tw roms or tw roms which got few symlinked apps so that total size mustn't exceed 20 MB. I recommend flashing this pit: n7000 16gb variant - 4gb data.zip if you are on tw rom.

ShonkUK

Feb 26, 2011
United Kingdom
Something i would be interested in

Cache partition = 100M from 200M = -100M
Hidden partition = 1M from 512M = -511M
System partition = 1024M from 852M = +172M
that should recover 439M
recovered space added exactly to the data partition

I would then make an LTC image matching the parition layout that would be odin flashable
and would move anything that is still in hidden to system

Last edited:
Reactions: Hank87

vuhothang

Jan 25, 2006
HCMC
After odin with n7000 16gb variant - 4gb data.pit and ref lash AryMod 4.5 now screenshot from Partition Table.

6b7o.png

with n7000 16gb variant - 4gb data - 20 pre load - untested.pit 20MB for preload not enough !

farinacci_79

Dec 15, 2009
two question:

1.- is it possible to resize partition without data loss as on PC? It can be very useful

2.- is there any known issue using this partition "mod" and Asylum Omni Rom?

Thanks

Sent from my GT-N7000 using xda app-developers app

RivakDebbie

Dec 24, 2009
Hi metalgearhathaway

If you have the time, can you also make a 6gb data pitversion ?
Guess, I am a real appjunkie :eek::D

And again, I would be very grateful :cool:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [MOD][GUIDE]Partition your internal SD for better App management 16GB & 32GB Models!

***************************************************************************************************************
    UPDATE 19th July

I have added my donation details to my profile, following a request from @A-S who wished to donate and request a build.

I will always build for people, but he really wanted to donate so I set up the link!

You may thank him for the new versions he requested if they suit you! 10gb & 12gb now available!

32gb Model now supported! First tested and verified 6gb Data version attached, ask if you wish for different partition sizes! :) !

Beware #1 - Preload moddified version are NOT suitable for Samsung Stock Roms!

Beware #2 - Pre-Load moddified versions are for custom roms that do not use pre-load area! Please post on the respective thread for your rom and ask the author the question prior to using these versions if you are unsure! (I can tell you that SlimRoms & Cyanfox do not use preload, at present at least)

Beware #3 - If you want to go back to stock rom, you just need to flash my standard edition pit files, easy!

***************************************************************************************************************

Increase your data application partition and set your device free!

Are you bored of having to move apps to SD?

Bored of facing a stock issue of not even being able to move apps to your internal SD?

This thread will help you, currently only for n7000 16gb Model only.
    [/COLOR]

GUIDE - The usual rules apply, You will:

IMPORTANT: Please backup all your photos, videos and other important stuff on your PC, in the cloud or somewhere else where it is safe, as all your stuff on your internal SD card will be deleted!

1) Run compatible version of Odin, put your phone in to download mode (vol down/home/power button) and connect to PC via USB

2) Tick re-partition box

3) Click PIT button and select the pit file of your desired app partition size.

4a) Click PDA and select your stock official samsung jellybean rom - Edit- please remember if you use a rom that is not native to your region, it would be wise to flash the appropriate radio modem afterwards to ensure you get the signal strength you'd expect :)

4b) OR Flash your persnonal choice of kernel in *.tar format and pit file, reboot to CWM ( power button/vol up/home button) and install new rom or restore nandroid and boot as normal and skip to number 9 in this guide

5) Flash and wait for reboot

6) Let the phone reboot and wait until the android chap finishes his spinny wire ball belly animation and then remove the battery and do a factory reset using the usual power/vol up/ home trick.

7) Let it boot so you can check that you are happy with the result. ( I didn't, but you might want to)

8) Now flash your chosen rooted kernel and either stick with stock rom or enter CWM and flash your own custom rom.

9) When your phone boots, you may get a notification to format usb storage, say yes if prompted! If it that fails, connect you phone to your PC and format the the internal sd card manually.

10) Remember that Android likes automatically deciding where apps go, so sometime it tries to put stuff to SD itself (app requests it), it is worthwhile checking your installed apps to makes sure they went to internal app partition, you can tell this by either:

a) Look in Titanium back up, go to the move/integrate section and see if any apps show as moveable from SD to internal, if so run the batch process to put them on your nice new app partition, otherwise you may have issues running those apps.

b) If you don't have Titanium (why not?) then check the harder way by looking at app manager and swipe to the right to look at SD app, sort by size and then individually move ones back to internal storage.

11) That easy! Here is a shot of my resulting app manager

Files attached to post including original pit in case you want it back to stock values!

Enjoy!

Thanks to @RivakDebbie for testing this pit file on his own N7000 :good:
    OP UPDATED! NEW PITS ONLINE!

New PIT's up! 4gb, 6gb and 8gb now supported. I have also created special versions freeing up 450mb from preload, this is added to the internal SD card partition.

Please note - The preload modified version not suitable for Samsung Stock roms, it will work with many custom roms, but you need to check with the author of your custom rom first, as some do use preload, not many, but you are best to check first! I can tell you that Slim Roms and Cyanfox do not use preload.....

Enjoy!
    Welcome to the N7000 @metalgearhathaway
    Just as a matter of caution, an idea. Would you mind considering to add something like "please backup all your photos, videos and other important stuff on your PC, in the cloud or somewhere else where it is safe, as all your stuff on your internal SD card will be deleted!"
    Thanks again for your contribution ?

Sent via GALAXY NOTE N7000 // KitKat
    Done, would thank you, but only 8 allowed, needs extending a little I reckon :good:
    How to make your own custom PIT File

@TenzoNakami~ and all users wanting to continue this work for themselves and others :)

It is really easy, you simply have to be able to use a calculator and make sure you don't make an error putting the numbers in!

Download PitMagic from here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1916936

You are warned, if you do not feel comfortable doing this, please do not even try! It is only basic mathematics and everyone has access to a calculator, so no excuses and no contacting me if you make horrible mistakes! I am not being cruel here, if you get it wrong, then it means that you did something wrong, plain and simple, so be careful, triple check your sums! Even sleep on it and check the next day to be sure after a good nights sleep :)

How to make a custom PIT File

To work out your new values the following applies:

1) 1GB = 2,097,152 blocks (512mb is half that value etc.)

2) The Block Size and Block Count of the previous section equals the value you enter for the next sections Block Size Value

3) The Block Count is the amount of space you are allocating to that section

4) The partitions you may want to work with are:

a) FactoryFS - This is the system partition where your rom installs to

b) DATAFS - This is the application partition where all your user installed apps will install to

c) UMS - This is the partition that will be your internal SD card space, i.e. where you might place photos and music

d) HIDDEN - This is the partition that some roms will use as preload, some roms use lots, some a little and some not at all!

e) All other sections should remain untouched!

5) You MUST make sure that your values all add up to the total available space available, that value is the Block Size & Block Count added together from the Hidden partition entry towards the bottom of the pit file!

6) Take a look at the example below and you will now see that as you go down the partitions the block size and block count of a section equals the next sections block count value, everything adds up as you work down the list! By now you should be either understanding how this works, if you are not then my advice is go and do something fun instead and forget you read this :)

EXAMPLE:

This my n7000 pit file that has 2gb System (Factoryfs), 3gb data (DATAFS) and 512mb preload (HIDDEN) Ignore all that is shown in RED and only play with stuff coloured in GREEN!

PIT Magic v1.3.10 Copyright © Gaz 2012.
    Analysis for: n7000 16gb variant - 2gb System - 3gb data - 512mb Preload.pit

<<< Pit File Start >>>

<<< PIT File Header Information >>>

Header Magic: 0x12349876 (4 Bytes)
    Entry Count: 15 (4 Bytes)

Dummy Data #1 (In String and Hexadecimal Format):
    String:
    Hexadecimal: 00000000

Dummy Data #2 (In String and Hexadecimal Format):
    String:

Dummy Data #3 (In String and Hexadecimal Format):
    String:

Dummy Data #4 (In String and Hexadecimal Format):
    String:

Dummy Data #5 (In String and Hexadecimal Format):
    String:

Dummy Data Length: (4 Bytes Per Block, 20 Bytes In Total.)

Header Size: (28 Bytes)

<<< PIT File Entries >>>

Entry Memory Address: 0x1C

Identifier: 0
    Attribute: 0 (READ ONLY)
    Block Size:
    Block Count:
    Partition Name: GANG
    Flash FileName: emmc.img
    FOTA FileName:

Entry Memory Address: 0xA0

Identifier: 1
    Block Size:
    Block Count:
    Partition Name: BOOT
    Flash FileName: boot.bin
    FOTA FileName:

Entry Memory Address: 0x124

Identifier: 4
    Block Size: 8,192
    Block Count: 40,960
    Partition Name: EFS
    Flash FileName: efs.img
    FOTA FileName:

Entry Memory Address: 0x1A8

Identifier: 2
    Block Size: 49,152
    Block Count: 2,560
    Partition Name: SBL1
    Flash FileName: Sbl.bin
    FOTA FileName:

Entry Memory Address: 0x22C

Identifier: 3
    Block Size: 53,248
    Block Count: 2,560
    Partition Name: SBL2
    Flash FileName:
    FOTA FileName:

Entry Memory Address: 0x2B0

Identifier: 5
    Block Size: 57,344
    Block Count: 16,384
    Partition Name: PARAM
    Flash FileName: param.lfs
    FOTA FileName:

Entry Memory Address: 0x334

Identifier: 6
    Block Size: 73,728
    Partition Name: KERNEL
    Flash FileName: zImage
    FOTA FileName:

Entry Memory Address: 0x3B8

Identifier: 7
    Block Size: 90,112
    Partition Name: RECOVERY
    Flash FileName:
    FOTA FileName:

Entry Memory Address: 0x43C

Identifier: 8
    Block Size: 106,496
    Block Count: 409,600
    Partition Name: CACHE
    Flash FileName: cache.img
    FOTA FileName:

Entry Memory Address: 0x4C0

Identifier: 9
    Block Size: 516,096
    Block Count: 32,768
    Partition Name: MODEM
    Flash FileName: modem.bin
    FOTA FileName:

Entry Memory Address: 0x544

Identifier: 10

Block Size: 548,864
    Block Count: 4,194,304
    Partition Name: FACTORYFS
    Flash FileName: factoryfs.img
    FOTA FileName:

Entry Memory Address: 0x5C8

Identifier: 11
    Block Size:
    Block Count: 6,291,456
    Partition Name: DATAFS
    Flash FileName: data.img
    FOTA FileName:

Entry Memory Address: 0x64C

Identifier: 12
    Attribute: 2 (STL)
    Block Size:
    Block Count: 18,685,952
    Partition Name: UMS
    Flash FileName: ums.rfs
    FOTA FileName:

Entry Memory Address: 0x6D0

Identifier: 13
    Block Size:
    Block Count: 1,048,576
    Partition Name: HIDDEN
    Flash FileName: hidden.img
    FOTA FileName:

Entry Memory Address: 0x754

Binary Type: 1 (COM. PROCESSOR)
    Device Type: 1 (FILE / FAT)
    Identifier: 9
    Block Size:
    Block Count:
    Partition Name:
    Flash FileName:
    FOTA FileName:

<<< Pit File End >>>

Generated on: 02/03/2015 19:52:47

Next,how to input your values

1) First run pitmagic:

2) Click the PIT File Analysis tab and open one of my pit files and export to file and this will export a text file to the root of your pitmagic directory, open the document and make amendments and your calculation in there and double check you make no mistakes, you can then refer to that to enter the details into the main pit file editor tab!

3) Now that you have done that, on the pit file editor tab click open and select my pit file you are using as a base profile and then click save as and save it with a name of your own, now you are ready to start entering your values.

4) Navigate to the PIT Entry List pull down box to select the PIT Entry list address field you are going to alter.

5) Then enter the value for Block Size (which is the running total of memory allocated so far) and the Block Count (which is the value you are applying to the section.

6) Click save after each amendment!

7) Once you are done, go back to the pit file analysis tab and open you pit and export and check that the values were save correctly!

8) If you are happy, now try using your newly created pit file! :)

You are warned, if you do not feel comfortable doing this, please do not even try! It is only basic mathematics and everyone has access to a calculator, so no excuses and no contacting me if you make horrible mistakes! I am not being cruel here, if you get it wrong, then it means that you did something wrong, plain and simple, so be careful, triple check your sums! Even sleep on it and check the next day to be sure after a good nights sleep :)
    Special Lollipop Update as per user request!

This file is untested (I own a LG G3) so use at your own risk!

Requested details are:

System - 2gb
    Data - 6gb
    Preload - 512mb

Enjoy and please at least say thank you, I really had to think about this one, it has been a long time since I owned a device that used this structure! :)

NB: This is the last Pit file I produce, it has been way more hassle than rewarding to provide this service for people. The information is out there on XDA on how to do this, so do not worry, if you want it enough it can be done! :) :highfive: