[APP] Stock CM Mms with sliding (hangouts) navigation 0.4.1

Search This thread

matt_stang

Mar 27, 2009
This is stock CM10 Mms with sliding conversation UI (Hangouts style). I made this because I like the interface of Hangouts but don't like the SMS integration. So, I prefer to have a dedicated SMS app and this is what came about.

Features:
Sliding conversation UI (hangouts style)
Pop-up reply (CM)
Quick reply from notification (CM)
Mark read from notification (CM)
Display who most recent message in conversation list is from
Breathing notification icon (enable in settings)
Contact picture widget regular, small, or gone

This is a work in progress so feel free to report any issues. That said, I've been working on this for a while and everything should run smoothly :D

Download from play store here (easier for me to detect/fix crashes, but slower updates) or attachment below.

To install:

Copy to device and install normally.

OR

Code:
adb install SlidingMms.apk

27bgN5dl.png
icgMMXkl.png
IyDlIj0l.png
VlFKOPZl.png
OstLjFwl.png
zi0ktgAl.png
OstLjFwl.png

Last edited:

ninjasalad

Dec 22, 2009
Awesome! I've been following this app for awhile, afraid it was discontinued. Its great to see official support for the n5 and that the project lives on!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

bodooo

Nov 3, 2013
Awesome! Just what I was looking for. Bug to report though. Whenever you want to send a message from the contacts/people app, it goes into the messaging app and force closes

ninjasalad

Dec 22, 2009
After using this app for a few hours, I've noticed that its at the top of my battery usage. Is this drain normal? uploadfromtaptalk1393810712713.jpguploadfromtaptalk1393810727081.jpg

matt_stang

Mar 27, 2009
After using this app for a few hours, I've noticed that its at the top of my battery usage. Is this drain normal? View attachment 2610283View attachment 2610284

no that is not considered normal. AFAIK it's a bug in the cm messaging app dealing with MMS wake locks. I have an idea how to solve it but it could take a few days. and I can't replicate it which makes testing very difficult. The solution for now is force closing the app.

EDIT: happy to say I pinpointed the source of the battery drain issue and am working on fixing it

Last edited:

gharrrrrr

Sep 24, 2011
Thanks @matt_stang. I too noticed it being top of battery drain list even though wake lock detector and battery setting said it wasn't keeping device awake long. It is my favorite replacement SMS app I have tries so far. Cheers.

los1223

Jul 8, 2008
Orange County, CA
Any chance of adding a secure box? I like to keep some people's text messages separate from the rest of my messages. I had to switch to Handcent because it has a secure box, but I really miss the CM customizations, like reply/mark read from notification.

matt_stang

Mar 27, 2009
Any chance of adding a secure box? I like to keep some people's text messages separate from the rest of my messages. I had to switch to Handcent because it has a secure box, but I really miss the CM customizations, like reply/mark read from notification.

Definitely have plans to add this. I also plan on adding "archiving" messages like in hangouts app.

hafatih27

May 3, 2012
definitely best messaging app on the planet! thank you so much!

for better improvement, when inserting someone's phone number (insert contact info), could you give another tick box for name? that would help me much. thanks.

Citizen_Snips

Apr 23, 2012
Google Pixel 8 Pro
Google Pixel Watch 2
That would be sooo clutch!! thank god i clicked on the themes and app thread for ****s and giggles.. this app is fantastic!

EDIT: A blacked out theme would be great too ;)

Yup he already has plans for a black themed version! I saw it on his reply to a review on the Google play store. Such an awesome app lol.

Reactions: Incredible_Culp

matt_stang

Mar 27, 2009
Reactions: Citizen_Snips

Incredible_Culp

May 13, 2010
Black theme is up on play store. I'll be updating the first post as well.

sweet, downloading now to see it :)

EDIT: Not really diggin in.. Too much color for me on the "sent" side.. and the 'block' bubble messages is too much as well lol.. Sorry, im VERY minimal.. To give you an idea of how much minimal i am, I use the stock mms app, and then download the Black Infinitum Theme, and that themes the messaging app PERFECT for my taste -- But anywho, to each his own! The idea behind this app is flawless tho! awesome job on it!

Last edited:

MrCatalyst

May 21, 2013
Oh my. Archiving messages would be perfect, since I loved it in Hangouts!

Would it be possible to add a speech bubble theme, as well as being able to hide avatars in message threads? Another mms.apk has it, which is perfect, but that one lacks archive function + hamburger menu, something I really wanted. :p

Citizen_Snips

Apr 23, 2012
Google Pixel 8 Pro
Google Pixel Watch 2
There is an option to hide avatars both in the main menu and in the thread itself. It's like the first options in settings. I don't mean to be rude, but did you even look before you posted? I use it like that. No avatars to be seen in the app at all.....

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is stock CM10 Mms with sliding conversation UI (Hangouts style). I made this because I like the interface of Hangouts but don't like the SMS integration. So, I prefer to have a dedicated SMS app and this is what came about.

Features:
    Sliding conversation UI (hangouts style)
    Pop-up reply (CM)
    Quick reply from notification (CM)
    Mark read from notification (CM)
    Display who most recent message in conversation list is from
    Breathing notification icon (enable in settings)
    Contact picture widget regular, small, or gone

This is a work in progress so feel free to report any issues. That said, I've been working on this for a while and everything should run smoothly :D

Download from play store here (easier for me to detect/fix crashes, but slower updates) or attachment below.

To install:

Copy to device and install normally.

OR

Code:
    adb install SlidingMms.apk

27bgN5dl.png
    icgMMXkl.png
    IyDlIj0l.png
    VlFKOPZl.png
    OstLjFwl.png
    zi0ktgAl.png
    OstLjFwl.png
    Lets get this thread out from the dead!!

Ill keep it alive since the build hasnt died!
    http://xdaforums.com/android/apps-games/app-stock-messaging-sliding-ui-extra-t2825144

http://xdaforums.com/nexus-4/themes-apps/wip-cm-messaging-app-hangouts-t2510685/page52#post54449925

Matt has been working extremely hard with AWESOME new features.. The current build is B14.. Which was uploaded yesterday. Love the new quick reply

This is by far the best MMS app right now imo, and ive tried almost all of them.

---> Right now, im creating an all black, clean, and elegant theme for it.. Matt has taken away the dark theme that is seen in the playstore version and edited it to his liking.. Which we cant blame him, right? Its his app lol.. But i know a lot of people, including myself, loved the black look.. So im taking it upon myself to give you guys just that... Matt has given me permission to do so, so no worries, hes a good guy

Ive been at it all night, and im coming down to little touches now.. Ill post it when finished.. should be any time now
    After using this app for a few hours, I've noticed that its at the top of my battery usage. Is this drain normal? View attachment 2610283View attachment 2610284

no that is not considered normal. AFAIK it's a bug in the cm messaging app dealing with MMS wake locks. I have an idea how to solve it but it could take a few days. and I can't replicate it which makes testing very difficult. The solution for now is force closing the app.

EDIT: happy to say I pinpointed the source of the battery drain issue and am working on fixing it
    Yeah. Would be nice to see the Emoji that the Nexus actually displays..

Latest update has Android emojis. I'll attach so you won't have to wait for the play store to update
    I know its a lot to ask, but could you add an app icon color choosing option? I have been personally pulling the apk from my device and replacing the icon myself but since its being updated so regularly (this is a good thing) its getting cumbersome. I have attached the copy of the icon I'm using in case you were interested. It's similar to the one that I made for the other custom mms.apk in this forum. Thanks even if this isn't not an option.

Keep up the great work! This app is awesome. :good:

This is sort of but not really possible. Two ways (that I know of) to do it:

1. Create a "shortcut." Basically I broadcast an intent that says I want to make a shortcut on the home screen and provide a different color icon for the launcher to use. Downside to this approach is launchers are not required to support it, so it probably won't work for everyone. Most people, maybe, but not everyone.

2. Create a widget. I can provide 1x1 widgets with any icon I choose. You simply have to add the widget to your home screen and you're good to go. The downside to this is... nothing really. Except I have to spend the time programming it :) widgets are pretty easy though and the upside is I would be able to display an optional unread count or something on the widget as well. Hell, I wouldn't even have to make a bunch of different colored icons, as I could programmatically alter an existing icon to any color I want.

Option 2 is probably the route to go, if I decide to do either. I've been thinking about changing the icon a bit as well.... but none of that is high on my todo list at the moment so you'll have to be patient or bug me about it later because I might just forget ;)

@matt_stang Do you think we could have a gray theme with the color gray that's used in the default theme? Basically the default theme without the white. Just all gray. Obviously other features you have planned are much more important, but maybe down the line at some point.

Well here's where I'm at. I have an exam in the morning. But, after that I plan to get to work. First tackling any bugs I created with the last update. Second I'll clean up some code I rushed to put in. Then I add a gray theme (I've been planning on adding it for a while, just got distracted). Then add the option to change the colors of the action bar and (for kitkat) the status bar and navigation bar. Then who knows what but I've got a lot to do!!