Google Play Movies. When Download Where are they stored

Search This thread

bluh5d

Dec 9, 2010
!Cloud Hack!
When you download a google play movie. What directory are they downloaded in. I want to try to put it on sd card after that point for more space when offline. Although I know its probably not possible. That is fine. But does anyone know where its downloaded and what format ? Oh yah I know internal phone memory but where.

THanks,

bluh5d

Dec 9, 2010
!Cloud Hack!
Ok does anyone at least know the file extension will be ? If you could tell me that I could find the directory . I know it will be at root level

bluh5d

Dec 9, 2010
!Cloud Hack!
Ok I finally figured out where it is stored. So I temp unrooted my phone made purchase and then selected download for offline viewing. So in the directory there is a file

application_4jSa8szMNjs.wvm

so i brought my root back to get into that directory then where i was stumped i figured it would be wmv mp4 3gp or whatever with drm protection but no its wvm I have never heard of wvm. so anyways I moved the wvm file to a different directly. Temporarily unrooted my phone . Then went into the google play movie app and it said that the download was missing. so i know I have the proper file. Now my question is does anyone here know anything about a .wvm file ?

Reactions: spacenbeyond

oibtsnow

Oct 19, 2011
plays with?.... plays with?.... MX Player.

So...what directory did you actually find the file in?

(edit)

found it!
/sdcard/Android/data/com.google.android.videos/files/Movies/<random characters>/<video file>.wvm

I use MX Player to watch the WVM files but I am looking into others as well.

Cheers...

Reactions: dscatto

wackadroid

May 3, 2011

Cheers...

Im messing around with this right now. Do you have to be rooted to pull out the complete file? Im using AirDroid and I can see the file and im attempting DL now. I am not rooted. When I used android file transfer on my MBA i couldnt see the same file. Im hoping AirDroid allows you to pull the file and play it normally. Ill update after its finished DLing.

rabidrotty

Dec 18, 2010
Edmonton
Quick question, what would happen if I pulled a wvm file from my device and put it on some one else's device? Would it work?

burrzoo

Aug 10, 2007
Plays on Other devices, easily changed file extension

Quick question, what would happen if I pulled a wvm file from my device and put it on some one else's device? Would it work?

YES! I copied the file from my Galaxy Note 3 (rooted) to my computer, renamed it and changed the file extension from .WVM to .AVI (no conversion needed whatsoever) and it plays using VLC on my Mac. I then loaded the video onto my Husband's iPhone 5 to the VLC folder and it plays perfectly as well!

Reactions: droidblade

rabidrotty

Dec 18, 2010
Edmonton
YES! I copied the file from my Galaxy Note 3 (rooted) to my computer, renamed it and changed the file extension from .WVM to .AVI (no conversion needed whatsoever) and it plays using VLC on my Mac. I then loaded the video onto my Husband's iPhone 5 to the VLC folder and it plays perfectly as well!

Awesome thank you

Gifurama

Mar 29, 2014
Hashima

i do the same but i cant play the movie :(

g9jigar

Sep 21, 2013

Thanks.

burrzoo

Aug 10, 2007
Change file etxn from .wmv to .avi or .mp4?

Has anyone figured out a way to convert it to a less finicky file format.

Hello MrRageMan299,

Did you just try and change the file extension from .WMV to .AVI? Worked for me....

I also just tried and changed the extension from .WMV to .mp4 and it plays using the stock Samsung Video Player as well as Dolphin jetpack / browser and QuickPic app in the Play Store--> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.alensw.PicFolder&hl=en

No conversion down whatsoever....

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

(edit)

found it!
    /sdcard/Android/data/com.google.android.videos/files/Movies/<random characters>/<video file>.wvm
    Ok I finally figured out where it is stored. So I temp unrooted my phone made purchase and then selected download for offline viewing. So in the directory there is a file

application_4jSa8szMNjs.wvm

so i brought my root back to get into that directory then where i was stumped i figured it would be wmv mp4 3gp or whatever with drm protection but no its wvm I have never heard of wvm. so anyways I moved the wvm file to a different directly. Temporarily unrooted my phone . Then went into the google play movie app and it said that the download was missing. so i know I have the proper file. Now my question is does anyone here know anything about a .wvm file ?
    plays with?.... plays with?.... MX Player.

(edit)

found it!

Cheers...
    Plays on Other devices, easily changed file extension