[Q] Project: DroidSourced

Would you participate in Project:DroidSourced?

• Yes

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Search This thread

vomer

Nov 21, 2008
Hi guys,

I have received multiple requests to support and create rom's and firmware guides for the M8 (and other phones but the M8 was the top requested).

Background: As many of you may know, I make stock based rom's and guides to simplify things for new and advanced users alike. It's all about information consolidation while keeping things up to date. I currently support the N5 and the HTC One M7.

After doing this for a few years now... I have come to realize that people really appreciate this :) unfortunately, I cannot support some devices (or only support them in a very limited manner) since I do not have the hardware to work with. My philosophy is not to post anything unless it has been tried and tested thoroughly by me - this makes sure that everything works!

All this led to idea the idea I had for Project-DroidSourced

It's pretty simple:
- The community pitches in (kickstarter-like) to collect funds for the device they want supported
- We purchase the device using the crowd sourced funds - all receipts and pictures of bought items will be shared publicly
- The purchased device is used as the testing bed for rom, firmwares, bootloader unlocks or guides (depending on what is being developed/supported)
- Finally, the device is GIVEN AWAY back to the community as a raffle/contest after a period of time (likely near the end of the device's yearly cycle).

Note:
- I am not doing this for any monetary gain myself. I do not accept "donations" for what I do - knowledge should be free and should be shared.
- This is just an idea I had seeing a large community interest from my previous work - no need to take anything negatively.

This is the first place I am sharing this idea - and the M8 will be the first device in this program if there is interest/uptake.

Feel free to ask any questions or share ideas.

Last edited:

teh roxxorz

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Nov 21, 2010
Where I think it could work, but you'd have to have like 1 master paypal account [one you create] in this scenario.
Secondly, you'd have to keep a book, xcel sheet, to basically keep tabs on the money supported, and then tell people, when you spend their funds, to what device it went to. It'd be a self kept treasury log. Additionally, perhaps use a public google drive file so it can be viewed at any time. I say view only so it isn't tampered with, but the transparency is there. Then again, that part would have to voted on as people may not want their names | contributions, even if by xda name.

Lastly, you'd have to figure a way to give it away randomly, or give the device randomly to the people's funds that went towards that particular device.

It's not a bad idea, but with the above, I think it could be managed correctly.

Last edited:

vomer

Nov 21, 2008
Where I think it could work, but you'd have to have like 1 master paypal account [one you create] in this scenario.
Secondly, you'd have to keep a book, xcel sheet, to basically keep tabs on the money supported, and then tell people, when you spend their funds, to what device it went to. It'd be a self kept treasury log.

Lastly, you'd have to figure a way to give it away randomly, or give the device randomly to the people's funds that went towards that particular device.

It's not a bad idea, but with the above, I think it could be managed correctly.

Agreed with all those comments. Each supported device would have an upper donation limit and would be it's own sub project.

A public excel sheet with donation amounts/users would also be setup. I want to keep things transparent.

I am also thinking of building a team for this so we can cover a larger range of devices :) also could lead to a ROM series

Last edited:

teh roxxorz

Nov 21, 2010
Agreed with all those comments. Each supported device would have an upper donation limit and would be it's own sub project.

A public excel sheet with donation amounts/users would also be setup. I want to keep things transparent.

I am also thinking of building a team for this so we can cover a larger range of devices :)

Well, when you say upper limit, I think it should be explicitly stated that it'd be a tiered system [regarding 'eligibility' for raffle device]. Cause i could see some quick mutinies when a guy who gave 1$ gets a device and a guy who gave 50$ didn't get anything. Again, not saying it's shady, but just to clear up front.

Regarding teams, I think that would be required, but a dev team member shouldn't be entered to win the same device they work on, cause it may same they are getting special treatment.

:silly:

vomer

Nov 21, 2008
Well, when you say upper limit, I think it should be explicitly stated that it'd be a tiered system [regarding 'eligibility' for raffle device]. Cause i could see some quick mutinies when a guy who gave 1$ gets a device and a guy who gave 50$ didn't get anything. Again, not saying it's shady, but just to clear up front.

Regarding teams, I think that would be required, but a dev team member shouldn't be entered to win the same device they work on, cause it may same they are getting special treatment.

:silly:

Yes, all great points. Noted and agreed.

What I meant by upper limit was the total amount donated (to cover the device). Users are free to donate as they see fit.

teh roxxorz

Nov 21, 2010
Yes, all great points. Noted and agreed.

What I meant by upper limit was the total amount donated (to cover the device). Users are free to donate as they see fit.

Ah well of course.

Though i think you could treat the pot as a 2 for 1:

- [some] people will donate to a specific device, which their funds will go towards it
- others will donate just blindly, not caring; they get notified prior to, to take care of the remaining funds

That way you'd be almost guaranteed every device could be funded, and all relevant parties viable to get it.

Also, i'm heading out; I'll be back later when it's not now. Take care
[ z z z z]

Jason78729

Jan 24, 2011
Austin
I think its a great idea. There's nothing more comforting than seeing your new phone now has a ROM developed by somebody you've come to trust. If I bought a phone and saw the right developers (including you) asking for money to buy a dev device to speed up the development process, I'd definitely be willing to send $10/$20 dollars to ensure my new phone has quality support. Thirty guys per phone agree in principle at $20 a piece, that's $600 that can buy the phone to start development.

I'd suggest getting flar2 to mirror his ElementalX kernel to any ROM you develop by also raising enough money for him to support the phone as well. This is just my opinion for kernel support. Many android users like kernel options, especially stable options.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app

lucas.scott

Mar 10, 2009
Nashville, TN
Or.... I'll trade my m8 for your n5. Come on. You don't want that thing anymore ;) Then everyone is happy!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

vomer

Nov 21, 2008
I think its a great idea. There's nothing more comforting than seeing your new phone now has a ROM developed by somebody you've come to trust. If I bought a phone and saw the right developers (including you) asking for money to buy a dev device to speed up the development process, I'd definitely be willing to send $10/$20 dollars to ensure my new phone has quality support. Thirty guys per phone agree in principle at $20 a piece, that's $600 that can buy the phone to start development.

I'd suggest getting flar2 to mirror his ElementalX kernel to any ROM you develop by also raising enough money for him to support the phone as well. This is just my opinion for kernel support. Many android users like kernel options, especially stable options.

Thanks for the input :) Yes, I agree that having a few developers and knowledge consolidators on board will help - but it's also up to them if they want to join.
Or.... I'll trade my m8 for your n5. Come on. You don't want that thing anymore ;) Then everyone is happy!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
But then how will I support my N5 buddies? :p
Great idea Vomer, I would support :good:

Thank you :)
A good idea but currently I have a device which you supports but I can help this team in funding ...
Thanks :) I wanted to gauge feedback first to see what people think. I do not want people to think that this is a pay for service type thing - it's more for a development device and reaching a standard of information delivery :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi guys,

I have received multiple requests to support and create rom's and firmware guides for the M8 (and other phones but the M8 was the top requested).

Background: As many of you may know, I make stock based rom's and guides to simplify things for new and advanced users alike. It's all about information consolidation while keeping things up to date. I currently support the N5 and the HTC One M7.

After doing this for a few years now... I have come to realize that people really appreciate this :) unfortunately, I cannot support some devices (or only support them in a very limited manner) since I do not have the hardware to work with. My philosophy is not to post anything unless it has been tried and tested thoroughly by me - this makes sure that everything works!

All this led to idea the idea I had for Project-DroidSourced

It's pretty simple:
    - The community pitches in (kickstarter-like) to collect funds for the device they want supported
    - We purchase the device using the crowd sourced funds - all receipts and pictures of bought items will be shared publicly
    - The purchased device is used as the testing bed for rom, firmwares, bootloader unlocks or guides (depending on what is being developed/supported)
    - Finally, the device is GIVEN AWAY back to the community as a raffle/contest after a period of time (likely near the end of the device's yearly cycle).

Note:
    - I am not doing this for any monetary gain myself. I do not accept "donations" for what I do - knowledge should be free and should be shared.
    - This is just an idea I had seeing a large community interest from my previous work - no need to take anything negatively.

This is the first place I am sharing this idea - and the M8 will be the first device in this program if there is interest/uptake.

Feel free to ask any questions or share ideas.