[MOD][PORT][04-16] Android 2.3 Overscroll Glow MOD for Galaxy S I9000 (Gingerbread)

Search This thread

dhiru1602

Inactive Recognized Developer
Aug 23, 2010
Overscroll Glow MOD for Gingerbread Galaxy S I9000

Works with all Gingerbread Firmwares.!!

I know many of you are desperate to have the Overscroll Glow effect for Gingerbread similar to the one in CM7 and stock Gingerbread. I have ported the Functions and Code required for the Overscroll Glow to Gingerbread Stock firmware XXJVK and XWJVB.

Note: Few Touchwiz apps that have "Swipe to Message or Call Feature" will have the default scrolling and this MOD doesn't take effect for such Scroll Lists, since this feature is a part of Touchwiz and not Stock Android. Its hardcoded directly in the APK and they would require appropriate edits which is not a part of this MOD. All the regular Android Scrolling Lists will have Overscroll Glow.

For Developers and Themers

There is an important thing to note. Some Touchwiz applications use calls to inbuilt scrolling functions, hence it is important to preserve the old functions so that scrolling in few TW Apps works fine. I have ported these new Scrolling functions from Nexus S ROM.

1. Extract the Classes.dex from framework.jar (Use a Framework.jar with Extended Menu as a Base)
2. Use baksmali to decode the DEX file to .smali files.
3. Download the ZIP package and extract the files inside android/widget/
4. Use smali to recode the edited .smali files to a DEX file.
5. Use a file manager to add the newly created DEX file to the framework.jar
6. Copy the framework.jar to your device and reboot.

If you are having issues with improper overscroll effect, You might need to change the Resource ID's for the Overscroll PNG Images

AbsListView.smali: (line 10884 and 10892)

.line 666
.local v2, res:Landroid/content/res/Resources;
const v3, *Resource ID of overscroll_edge.png*

.line 667
.local v0, edge:Landroid/graphics/drawable/Drawable;
const v3, *Resource ID of overscroll_glow.png*

For Users [DEODEXED XXJVK, XWJVB ROM ONLY]

ClockworkMod v3
Download the OverscrollGlow_CWM3 ZIP file and flash with ClockworkMOD.
Wipe Dalvik Cache and Reboot.
Only Compatible with CMW3.

Initial boot will take sometime. So please be patient.

Changing the Glow Color

Change the png's in framework-res.apk.
overscroll_edge.png
overscroll_glow.png

Compatible with Extended Power Menu!

Odexed version of the MOD has been removed due to freeze issues encountered in some applications after applying the MOD. Strangely enough the the Deodexed version works perfectly. I have decided not to waste anymore time on the Odexed version. I recommend using Stock Deodexed Rom by [Ramad] for applying the MOD.

Version History:
04162011-Added XWJVB Version built from Stock XWJVB Framework (Tested on Stock Deodexed ROM - Ramad)
04102011-Fixed Force Close issue with Email-Accounts Option
04092011-Fixed Force Close issue with Contacts-Display Options

READ THIS BEFORE YOU USE THIS MOD
Messing with the Framework.jar may make your device unbootable. Proceed with caution and have a backup always. Stop if you don't know what you are doing.
I have made dozens of changes and modifications in the .smali files, hence I am sure there would be some bugs in it. Although I accept no responsibility for your bricked or non functional device, you may post bugs in this topic. I will see to what I can do about it.

sc20110409185522.png

You may use this MOD however you like, but please give a credit and hit the THANKS button. :)

Attachments

• OverscrollGlow_Source_04102011.zip
    138 KB · Views: 2,912
  • OverscrollGlow_XXJVB_CWM3_deodex_04162011.zip
    3.5 MB · Views: 2,368
  • OverscrollGlow_XXJVK_CWM3_deodex_04102011.zip
    3.5 MB · Views: 983
Last edited:

KyojinKun

Aug 29, 2010
Hum, thanks a lot! I was on that for weeks now, but never could make it usable. Good Job! :D

xan

Retired Recognized Developer
May 21, 2006
Crack-ow
Does this work for the browser?
(Guess not, because it has its 'own' scrolling algo... Doesnt hurt to ask though :) )

jenicekk

Nov 7, 2010
dont work on DARSKYS v10 RC3 ROM in Contacts, SMS, and Phone DIALER, only works in Settings, but GOOD JOB Thanks very much.

dhiru1602

Aug 23, 2010
dont work on DARSKYS v10 RC3 ROM in Contacts, SMS, and Phone DIALER, only works in Settings, but GOOD JOB Thanks very much.

I have clearly mentioned that in the OP. The Touchwiz Apps which have "Swipe to Message and Call Option" have the default scrolling, since they are a part of Touchwiz and not Stock Android.

Reactions: jenicekk

diamond69

Jul 24, 2008
Thanks for your great work
is there any chance for an ODEXed Version, or is it impossible because of the changes which have to be done?

XlAfbk

Aug 11, 2010
just tried to create an odex-version of this and while it boots the glow isn't visible. dhiru, maybe you could give it a try? would be highly appreciated

dhiru1602

Aug 23, 2010
snap20110409_195537.png

Gonna release the new version of lucid soon.
Thanks alot

Menu glow looks good! :)

Thanks dhiru for this... Already added in zip for SteelBlue theme

:) I love your theme's wallpapers.

Thanks for your great work
is there any chance for an ODEXed Version, or is it impossible because of the changes which have to be done?
just tried to create an odex-version of this and while it boots the glow isn't visible. dhiru, maybe you could give it a try? would be highly appreciated

I tried to create an Odex version at first, however It was the first time I was trying to mess with Odex files and the result was the phone itself was bootlooping. I have flashed Stock Deodex version of XXJVK for this purpose. Maybe someone could make a odex version. I will add in the OP.

camera app closes when i try to enter change res menu
process manager aint working at all

release final please ;)
The stock camera app doesn't use any List Scrolls and the Resolution selection isn't a scroll, so the FC is definately not due to the MOD. I have personally checked it and everything in the Camera works fine.
Which process manager are you talking about? Is it the Touchwiz Task Manager? It works fine for me.

Maybe you could do a Logcat and see to what is causing the problem.

$omator

Dec 26, 2010
tri(p) city
www.facebook.com
The stock camera app doesn't use any List Scrolls and the Resolution selection isn't a scroll, so the FC is definately not due to the MOD. I have personally checked it and everything in the Camera works fine.
Which process manager are you talking about? Is it the Touchwiz Task Manager? It works fine for me.

Maybe you could do a Logcat and see to what is causing the problem.

yes stock task manager and yes i know no scroll menu there
and it is not FC. app just freezes and closes
i am not flashing this back to test anything so no logcat
after reverting to backed up framework.odex all worked fine

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Overscroll Glow MOD for Gingerbread Galaxy S I9000

Works with all Gingerbread Firmwares.!!

I know many of you are desperate to have the Overscroll Glow effect for Gingerbread similar to the one in CM7 and stock Gingerbread. I have ported the Functions and Code required for the Overscroll Glow to Gingerbread Stock firmware XXJVK and XWJVB.

Note: Few Touchwiz apps that have "Swipe to Message or Call Feature" will have the default scrolling and this MOD doesn't take effect for such Scroll Lists, since this feature is a part of Touchwiz and not Stock Android. Its hardcoded directly in the APK and they would require appropriate edits which is not a part of this MOD. All the regular Android Scrolling Lists will have Overscroll Glow.

For Developers and Themers

There is an important thing to note. Some Touchwiz applications use calls to inbuilt scrolling functions, hence it is important to preserve the old functions so that scrolling in few TW Apps works fine. I have ported these new Scrolling functions from Nexus S ROM.

1. Extract the Classes.dex from framework.jar (Use a Framework.jar with Extended Menu as a Base)
    2. Use baksmali to decode the DEX file to .smali files.
    3. Download the ZIP package and extract the files inside android/widget/
    4. Use smali to recode the edited .smali files to a DEX file.
    5. Use a file manager to add the newly created DEX file to the framework.jar
    6. Copy the framework.jar to your device and reboot.

If you are having issues with improper overscroll effect, You might need to change the Resource ID's for the Overscroll PNG Images

AbsListView.smali: (line 10884 and 10892)

.line 666
    .local v2, res:Landroid/content/res/Resources;
    const v3, *Resource ID of overscroll_edge.png*

.line 667
    .local v0, edge:Landroid/graphics/drawable/Drawable;
    const v3, *Resource ID of overscroll_glow.png*

For Users [DEODEXED XXJVK, XWJVB ROM ONLY]

ClockworkMod v3
    Download the OverscrollGlow_CWM3 ZIP file and flash with ClockworkMOD.
    Wipe Dalvik Cache and Reboot.
    Only Compatible with CMW3.

Initial boot will take sometime. So please be patient.

Changing the Glow Color

Change the png's in framework-res.apk.
    overscroll_edge.png
    overscroll_glow.png

Compatible with Extended Power Menu!

Odexed version of the MOD has been removed due to freeze issues encountered in some applications after applying the MOD. Strangely enough the the Deodexed version works perfectly. I have decided not to waste anymore time on the Odexed version. I recommend using Stock Deodexed Rom by [Ramad] for applying the MOD.

Version History:
    04162011-Added XWJVB Version built from Stock XWJVB Framework (Tested on Stock Deodexed ROM - Ramad)
    04102011-Fixed Force Close issue with Email-Accounts Option
    04092011-Fixed Force Close issue with Contacts-Display Options

READ THIS BEFORE YOU USE THIS MOD
    Messing with the Framework.jar may make your device unbootable. Proceed with caution and have a backup always. Stop if you don't know what you are doing.
    I have made dozens of changes and modifications in the .smali files, hence I am sure there would be some bugs in it. Although I accept no responsibility for your bricked or non functional device, you may post bugs in this topic. I will see to what I can do about it.

sc20110409185522.png

You may use this MOD however you like, but please give a credit and hit the THANKS button. :)
    Does this work for the browser?
    (Guess not, because it has its 'own' scrolling algo... Doesnt hurt to ask though :) )

Nope. This MOD is only applicable to Scrolling Lists. ;)

I have clearly mentioned that in the OP. The Touchwiz Apps which have "Swipe to Message and Call Option" have the default scrolling, since they are a part of Touchwiz and not Stock Android.
    Thanks dhiru for this... Already added in zip for SteelBlue theme
    Guys you all got Bluetooth running okay?
    when i try switch it on the phone just hangs up without activating it. after 30 sec it just get back normally and Bluetooth is still off

Does it happen all the time? Did you try wiping Dalvik Cache?