[Q] No OS installed on HTC ONE M8! Plz HELP!

Search This thread
May 26, 2014
State College
The RUU has to be flashed in fastboot using the fastboot commands, so if you're trying to flash it in TWRP it will fail. To flash the RUU, you have to:

fastboot oem rebootRUU
fastboot flash zip <nameofzip>.zip
First time WILL fail, so then run the same command again - fastboot flash zip <nameofzip>.zip
fastboot reboot

This is ONLY for the RUU ZIP file and not a normal TWRP-flashable ZIP

I put a ROM in my sd card and managed to flash it even thought it failed, but now i got a system going on. Now i can access fastboot!!! I used your method and the RUU u gave is actually what i used!!! And it worked!!!!!!!!!! Thank you so much man!!!! I dont even know what to say!!!!!

allstarkid05

Aug 11, 2014
Htc one m8 no os installed helpp

i accidentally deleted the os system with an advanced wipe and i had just gotten the phone ! its an htc one m8. i don't know what to do its stuck on the htc one load screen and idk what to download on my sd card to install stock rom back. can someone please help. idk what to do i just want my phone to work . custom rom, stock android . idc just something to get my phone working again . nothing I'm trying is working :( help

htconem8 gpe

Mar 30, 2015
Your backup probably failed because it didn't backup correctly. It's happened to me a couple of times wirh TWRP. You should always check your backup works before deleting anything. There are stock backups available on this forum.

So what should I do next??? And what to do with that stock backups? I need your help, urgently.

---------- Post added at 08:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:37 AM ----------

Your backup probably failed because it didn't backup correctly. It's happened to me a couple of times wirh TWRP. You should always check your backup works before deleting anything. There are stock backups available on this forum.
what do you think i should do now? i need urgent help.

redpoint73

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 24, 2007
So what should I do next??? And what to do with that stock backups? I need your help, urgently..

It says right in the stock nandroid thread (Post #3) what to do with the stock nandroid files (see 2nd question under "Questions & Answers"): http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=58128936&postcount=3

But in short, unpack the nandroid file. Place the files in the correct location. Then Restore with TWRP (or Philz Recovery, if you are using that).

File location is very important, as TWRP will not recognize the nandroid unless its in exactly the right location.

Alternately, you can put a custom ROM on internal memory, or removable SD, and flash it with custom recovery.

Reactions: htconem8 gpe

htconem8 gpe

Mar 30, 2015
It says right in the stock nandroid thread (Post #3) what to do with the stock nandroid files (see 2nd question under "Questions & Answers"): http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=58128936&postcount=3

But in short, unpack the nandroid file. Place the files in the correct location. Then Restore with TWRP (or Philz Recovery, if you are using that).

File location is very important, as TWRP will not recognize the nandroid unless its in exactly the right location.

Alternately, you can put a custom ROM on internal memory, or removable SD, and flash it with custom recovery.

After backing up and restoring stock nandroid files, will I be able to flash the GPR ROM normally using adb command?

redpoint73

Oct 24, 2007
After backing up and restoring stock nandroid files, will I be able to flash the GPR ROM normally using adb command?

If your end goal is to install a GPE ROM, you don't need to restore to stock. Assuming you meet whatever hboot, firmware, and TWRP version requirements of the GPE ROM you are talking about; just flash the GPE ROM.

Restoring the stock nandroid is done with the goal of getting an OS back on the system, and bootable back to stock Sense ROM.

htconem8 gpe

Mar 30, 2015
If your end goal is to install a GPE ROM, you don't need to restore to stock. Assuming you meet whatever hboot, firmware, and TWRP version requirements of the GPE ROM you are talking about; just flash the GPE ROM.

Restoring the stock nandroid is done with the goal of getting an OS back on the system, and bootable back to stock Sense ROM.
I was trying to convert my One M8 (GSM, unlocked and S-Off) to GPE but ended in bootloop mode. I've tried flashing the RUU in recovery mode(TWRP) but it kept saying "Unable to mount '/system".

htconem8 gpe

Mar 30, 2015

I'm really lost on what's going on with this flashing procedure.

Seanie280672

Feb 27, 2012
Halesowen

your flashing it the wrong way, hence android-info fail, your trying to flash it like firmware, if its a custom rom your trying to flash then you must flash it inside a custom recovery.

which rom are you trying to flash ?

before flashing a custom rom, first learn how to fix it.

Last edited:

redpoint73

Oct 24, 2007

I think you have the flashing procedures quite mixed up.

Flashing a ROM.zip from your computer is making it more complex than it needs be. Just put the ROM on the phone, and use TWRP "Install" function to browse to the file and flash it.

RUU is not typically run from TWRP. Although I don't recognize the RUU file name off hand. Where did you get it from?

Yashiro23

Jun 11, 2015
No OS installed

Hey everybody,
I'm new android user and I recently got the HTC one M8 in which I wanted to install the google play edition RUU, I rooted the device, S-off as well and changed the CID number, I used the adb commands to flash the RUU (without taking any backups :(), when the phone restarted I was frozen with HTC logo, I could not do anything, the phone is not recognized in adb devices and I don't know what to do next, Pleeeeease help !!
P.S: i tried to install the 5.1 non rooted lollipop !!!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The RUU has to be flashed in fastboot using the fastboot commands, so if you're trying to flash it in TWRP it will fail. To flash the RUU, you have to:

fastboot oem rebootRUU
    fastboot flash zip <nameofzip>.zip
    First time WILL fail, so then run the same command again - fastboot flash zip <nameofzip>.zip
    fastboot reboot

This is ONLY for the RUU ZIP file and not a normal TWRP-flashable ZIP
    What I posed there will get you back to a working GPe M8, to go back to Sense you'll have to go through Post 2 in the RUU thread
    In case you weren't sure which file I was on about, it's these...

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2708589
    If you did want sense all you need to do is restore a stock backup and then flash firmware.

If you restore gpe ruu, just download a stock sense backup, the copy and paste the extracted folder it in the twrp folder and restore, then flash the firmware_splash.zip in RUU mode

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

You have to flash the FW package first THEN restore/flash a Sense ROM as TWRP won't mount the phone properly as the partitions are borked
    So what should I do next??? And what to do with that stock backups? I need your help, urgently..