FaceTime on Android?

Search This thread

RanEnRui

Jun 19, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Well, I'm sure I'm not the only one thinking this. As you guys can imagine, FaceTime is going to be the new craze among iPhone 4 users. As much as I hate to say it, Apple will be the ones to make voice calling finally take off.

Qik is meh, and Skype video chat is still up in the air (no pun intended).

So that begs the question, would it be possible to make a device such as the Evo emulate FaceTime (with an iPhone 4 caller). Considering it's over WiFi, I don't see how it couldn't be possible.

They claim FaceTime is supposed to be an "open" standard, though I am a bit dubious to this considering H.264/AAC is involved.

Anyhow, all licensing and networking aside, I think we can agree that it is somewhat remotely possible and also really neat of an idea.

I know it's a bit early, but are there any teams talking about/working on this? I'm a developer (and learning the Android ropes at the moment) and would love to help contribute to something like this.

Comments, thoughts, and suggestions all welcome! :)

CentroniX

Jan 5, 2007
Austin, TX
Yup, we'll see it eventually. As you said, FaceTime is an open standard and will probably be adopted on many different platforms. H.264 and AAC encoding's wont cause a problem, and will actually be beneficial due to it's compression versus quality ratio. Couple that together with the fact that the Evo already supports them out of the box, it's a no-brainer!

Mast3rpyr0

Jan 27, 2010
Columbus
Eventually most likely all devices will connect somehow. This is a question though and would be more fit for the Q&A forum

mintishhippo

Dec 30, 2008
I would love to help out with this in any way I can, I can't do code but if you need graphics for the project, just pm me.

RTessi

Feb 7, 2010
Bay Area, CA
take it for what its worth, but Engadget did a test of facetime with mifi devices and the results were piss poor... we're probably better off using qik or some system that is designed for mobile networks.

R

gbm85

Dec 29, 2006
take it for what its worth, but Engadget did a test of facetime with mifi devices and the results were piss poor... we're probably better off using qik or some system that is designed for mobile networks.

R

Guess that explains why it's WiFi-only. Typical Crapple.

mastermayhm

Nov 16, 2007
this isdump. we have fring and qik which already work over 3g and 4g were facetime is only working over wifi....and its not even performing well with that....so what im trying to understand is...what is it that you are you expecting?

ViViDboarder

Inactive Recognized Developer
Mar 25, 2010
San Francisco, CA
this isdump. we have fring and qik which already work over 3g and 4g were facetime is only working over wifi....and its not even performing well with that....so what im trying to understand is...what is it that you are you expecting?

I agree with you.

I don't think we need someone on Android to implement FaceTime... I'd rather have Fring, Qik or Skype put 2-way chat on the iPhone 4. It's not like I'm going to be in a call with someone and be like, oh, lets switch over to video so we can see each other. I'm fine with using a dedicated client and I think most iPhone users would be too.

mrono

Jun 4, 2009
I agree with you.

I don't think we need someone on Android to implement FaceTime... I'd rather have Fring, Qik or Skype put 2-way chat on the iPhone 4. It's not like I'm going to be in a call with someone and be like, oh, lets switch over to video so we can see each other. I'm fine with using a dedicated client and I think most iPhone users would be too.

agreed, most of that stuff is just a gimmick, you use it once and then nada. I personally haven't used video chat on my phone since i got it.

gthing

Feb 13, 2007
SL,UT
agreed, most of that stuff is just a gimmick, you use it once and then nada. I personally haven't used video chat on my phone since i got it.

I agree somewhat. I've used it a couple times but the lack of quality makes it a gimmick. If it was higher quality and more people could connect, I would probably use it more and think it was less gimmicky.

mrono

Jun 4, 2009
I agree somewhat. I've used it a couple times but the lack of quality makes it a gimmick. If it was higher quality and more people could connect, I would probably use it more and think it was less gimmicky.

the quality is why I haven't used it, it's like i'm broadcasting from a portal into LEGO world

tecmu

Jun 28, 2010
Yeah, so far video chatting from phone to phone is such a gimmick. However, I see some potential for video chatting from evo to computer. There isn't many video chat enabled phones out there but plenty of people with computers to video chat with. I just haven't found the right softwares for the phone and computer to use.

mastermayhm

Nov 16, 2007
fring on evo connected with skype on computer is flawless, sound and video...if you have strong 3g/4g/wifi signal

itmustbejj

Jun 2, 2010
Indianapolis
Yeah, so far video chatting from phone to phone is such a gimmick. However, I see some potential for video chatting from evo to computer. There isn't many video chat enabled phones out there but plenty of people with computers to video chat with. I just haven't found the right softwares for the phone and computer to use.
ChatRoulette for Android :) Especially since they are working on an algorithm to filter out all the wangs :)

rajnallan

Jun 19, 2010
El Dorado Hills, California 95762
Facetime application for Android

I switched from Apple to HTC EVO and I am very happy with HTC EVO. It is awesome. However if you look at the quality of video on face time it is amazing. The video and audio quality through Fring is no way comparable to facetime. Also people have connected using tethering through HTC EVO and connected two iphones with facetime. Excellent quality over 3G through HTC EVO. Summary, it will be nice to have an application like factime... Thanks

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Yea, I understand that, for sure. It just seems excessive to me. Maybe I'm paranoid. I dont understand why it would need to 'record audio' either. What needs to be recorded? And 'intercepting' phone calls sounds invasive, just the way it's worded. Intercept. Ha. Oh well, maybe I'll try it anyways. I have no information that has value to anyone else on my phone anyways.

for you or anyone else who ever worries about security on their android phone - don't be paranoid about these permissions.

the text chosen isnt' editable by the developer - if you need any type of access to the phone part of the device then "intercepting phone calls" will be required. if you need audio input for your own original application (which tango obviously is) then yes, you will technically be "Recording audio" even though teh recording is really just converting it to a bandwidth friendly codec on the fly for transmission over 3g.

think about what the application is actually doing here, keep in mind taht the developer doesnt' choose these wordings - it's either "warn the user of any type of potential privacy issue" or don't get your app published.

If you don't like that and think your data is insecure - have you read the google eula? do you know how much access google has to your data right now before you add any external apps? Let me just put it this way - you have no reason to worry about well respected apps from known publishers that are becoming very popular, such as tango.

worry about the one off memory game for your kids and stuff like that - if they ask for bizarre permissions then don't approve them.

but if your app needs to use the phone, microhphone, audio output, data connection, screen unlocking, dialer, conttacts and what not, as MANY apps for android do, then you will see the same list as you do for tango.

never worry about privacy during installs unless you're installing somethign that shouldnt' need any security approval but, oddly, does.