LG G3 D855 shutsdown on its own

Search This thread

Dredd90

Jan 4, 2012
Hello,
So I bought a G3 the day before yesterday and yesterday was my first day with it, and for that first day my phone had shutdown twice on its own. The first time was when my phone was lying on the bed and doing nothing, it had around 50% battery and was not hot or anything.
The second time was this night i don't know when, i have put my G3 on the charger and went to sleep i woke up and it had shutdown.

I didn't made factory reset when i got i from the box which i will when i come home from work and hopefully this will fix it, but does anyone have a problem like that? If is something serious i will be disappointed to return the phone.

p.s. My previous phone was galaxy s2 and had this king of problem only with custom roms and kernels, but i have not put anything on the G3 yet, except activating the developers options and had switched it to ART and the first time the phone had shutdown i thought that the art was the issue and switched it back to dalvik, the second time though was on dalvik.

dhkx

Sep 29, 2012
Hello,
So I bought a G3 the day before yesterday and yesterday was my first day with it, and for that first day my phone had shutdown twice on its own. The first time was when my phone was lying on the bed and doing nothing, it had around 50% battery and was not hot or anything.
The second time was this night i don't know when, i have put my G3 on the charger and went to sleep i woke up and it had shutdown.

I didn't made factory reset when i got i from the box which i will when i come home from work and hopefully this will fix it, but does anyone have a problem like that? If is something serious i will be disappointed to return the phone.

p.s. My previous phone was galaxy s2 and had this king of problem only with custom roms and kernels, but i have not put anything on the G3 yet, except activating the developers options and had switched it to ART and the first time the phone had shutdown i thought that the art was the issue and switched it back to dalvik, the second time though was on dalvik.

I have the exact same problem. The past few days when I go to bed and wake up in the morning, the phone has shut itself off. I haven't rooted or installed any custom roms.

Lennyuk

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 26, 2010
Suffolk, England
I would advise you both to take a factory reset, only install apps you need for a few days and see if the problem persists, if it doesn't install your apps back one by one as it may well be a particular app causing the reboots.

If you still get reboots after the reset and with no apps installed then you may have to take the phone back to swap it.

Dredd90

Jan 4, 2012
I would advise you both to take a factory reset, only install apps you need for a few days and see if the problem persists, if it doesn't install your apps back one by one as it may well be a particular app causing the reboots.

If you still get reboots after the reset and with no apps installed then you may have to take the phone back to swap it.

Yes as I said in the first post the factory format and hard reset will be the first thing that will be done as soon I am at home. About the apps i have pretty much basic apps (facebook, messenger, soundcloud, etc) all from the market except smashhit of which i have the apk and installed from the internal memory.

Except those apps I have 2 mp3s and some wallpapers and nothing else, becouse when i got my phone it was late on the evening and i had no time to do anything else. So the phone is pretty much out off the box and I was verry frustrated when the secound shutdown happened, becouse i tought the first was from the ART runtime.

Anyway today I will have more time to spend on the phone and we will see what will happend.

p.s. The phone does not reboots, just shuts off.

Last edited:

Lennyuk

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 26, 2010
Suffolk, England
Yes as I said in the first post the factory format and hard reset will be the first thing that will be done as soon I am at home. About the apps i have pretty much basic apps (facebook, messenger, soundcloud, etc) all from the market except smashhit of which i have the apk and installed from the internal memory.

Except those apps I have 2 mp3s and some wallpapers and nothing else, becouse when i got my phone it was late on the evening and i had no time to do anything else. So the phone is pretty much out off the box and I was verry frustrated when the secound shutdown happened, becouse i tought the first was from the ART runtime.

Anyway today I will have more time to spend on the phone and we will see what will happend.

p.s. The phone does not reboots, just shuts off.

Is it definitely off or is the phone just stuck on a black screen? It is quite common on some devices when something is not quite right for the kernel to be unable to wake the phone up, the phone is still technically on but stuck in deep sleep.

does holding the power button for 2 seconds turn it on? or do you have to hold it for say 7-8 seconds?

Dredd90

Jan 4, 2012
Is it definitely off or is the phone just stuck on a black screen? It is quite common on some devices when something is not quite right for the kernel to be unable to wake the phone up, the phone is still technically on but stuck in deep sleep.

does holding the power button for 2 seconds turn it on? or do you have to hold it for say 7-8 seconds?

It is definetly shut down around 2 seconds(the normal time to hold the power button to turn on) it turns on and work perfectly and does not show anything suspicious in its behavior, it's super fast, not laggy and etc, may be a little high on ram consumptions but with this havy skin i think it is normal or could not be normal idk, the ram consumptions go from about 1,2GB the lowest i have seen to up to 2,3 the highes i have seen.

Anyway about the shut off think yes defenetly 100% sure it is off, it happend again a while ago and i thoght the same thing may be it si deep asleep even i had chacked the weather 10 min ago and call myself from a friends phone and the operator said that the phone is off or i am somewhere without network covarage.

Reactions: Lennyuk

Dredd90

Jan 4, 2012
Yes if you have to remove the battery the problem is different, i just have to push the power button and it boots right away after it have shuted off by its self........

daddioj

Jul 23, 2011
Poconos
i didnt have this issue with my 855. but i did a factory reset after i got the phone just for the hell of it

Dredd90

Jan 4, 2012
So it's reset time i finally have some time to the some staff on the phone so hopefully everything will be fine. I will post if this fix or not the problem to inform the other people in this thread.

Reactions: ch8kra

sunburn18

Jul 4, 2014
So it's reset time i finally have some time to the some staff on the phone so hopefully everything will be fine. I will post if this fix or not the problem to inform the other people in this thread.

did you have any luck with the problem? I have the same issue, performed a factory reset and restored, hopefully it will fix too..

Winglet80

Jul 4, 2014
Hi all!

I have and have had the same problem and think I've pinpointed the problem to Google Search but can't 100% confirm it yet. I didn't do a factory reset when I got the phone and it shutdown during the night. I did a factory reset, made sure it got enough time to update everything properly. Problem was gone and worked fine. HOWEVER, the phone kept asking me which home screen I prefer at random times when I hit the home button. With random I mean like 4+ times per day. I searched the net and found a threat saying that a guy with a G2 solved the problem by removing Google Search updates. So I decided to do just that and get the factory version back and the questions disappeared but guess what, the phone shut down the following night.

Any takers or might this just be random? Note that it was working fine for three days with the updated Google Search and shutdown the first night after the downgrade.

Dredd90

Jan 4, 2012
So I did hard reset and so far so good the phone had not shutted down itself, and I updated everything which need to be updated (mentioning this for the guy with the upper post). So far so good I will keep you in touch if something goes bad...

Winglet80

Jul 4, 2014
So I did hard reset and so far so good the phone had not shutted down itself, and I updated everything which need to be updated (mentioning this for the guy with the upper post). So far so good I will keep you in touch if something goes bad...

Let me know if you also encounter the problem with the home screen questions! :good:

Good luck!

death__machine

May 6, 2012
Dubai
I suggest take it to your dealer and get it replaced asap. I've seen lots of returned phones(my job at XXXXXXX company ) with the same issue, and as long as the defect is reproducible the dealer will give you a new phone. If it's outa replacement period then they'll probably repair it.

Dredd90

Jan 4, 2012
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand shut down again but this time it took quite a bit time longer to shut off by its self so i tought the problem was fixed, but it's not, so i am going to the store which i buy it from to replace the device.....

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    LG Nordic officially acknowledges the problem

I have a 32gig version of the G3 and after several attemps to get LGs attention I went to the media here in Denmark. That got their attention and LG now officially acknowledges that there's an issue.

Apparently an update is a month away...

I cant post the link the to article, but go to goo.gl slash q4qsrL and check it out
    I updated the phone to 10h and it has been running 2 days 55m without any reboot or shutdown, previously running 10g auto reboot every 1-2 days and before that it would auto shutdown every day or two

Sent from my LG-D855 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
    It has been 24 hours since the update v10e and it still running just fine without any problem. I have tried to do everything that I had problem with and it has no problem at all! Hopes it will solve the problem forever
    Will update you guys daily.
    WHY LG G3 is better than the competition.

Reported issues on HTC One M8 :

1. No SIM card error
    2. Phone crashes at random ( It crashes!!You have to reset the phone. G3 will at least gracefully shut down or hibernate, but both phones seems to have this fixed in their latest updates)
    3.Camera app crashes occasionally
    4. Bluetooth connectivity issues.
    5. Dead or stuck pixels

Reported issues on Galaxy S5 :
    1. Its more likey to get water damage that the LG G3 although its supposed to be waterresistant and G3 is not. So thats a +1 for the G3 because of its premium build quality.
    2. Lag and Jitter is the most prominent in the S5 , as compared to all the other flagships.
    3. Phone Screen hibernates ( just like in some G3s) but the harware keys turn on without the screen ( supposed to be fixed, but users still have this issue)(You have to reset the phone)
    4. Camera is highly overrated, delivers ****ty focus and takes longer than expected as compared to G3 or xperia z2.
    5. Camera fails! yes, it just throws up errors at times.

Reported issues on xperia z2: ( the absolute worst)
    1.Dropped calls and proximity sensor jst turns screen on and off unnecessarily.
    2. Xperia Z2 won’t turn on ( yes this phone crashes too. But it almost refuses to turn on, at least we have a removable battery)
    3. Receiver issues during calls and overall muffled sound. ( because of the stupid waterproofing crap that is virtually useless)
    4. Overheating
    5.Wi-Fi connectivity issues and wifi drops.
    6.Several audio and hardware related issues.
    7. The phone actually sucks at 4k video and the 20mp camera also sucks and is not optimized correctly, should have been implemented in snapdragon 805.
    8. Several hardware complaints from multiple users.

Reported issues with LG G3:
    1.G3 shuts down by itself
    2.Battery life and overheating ( this is reported my morons who think the G3 was designed for gaming all day) ( this is expected from a phone with this kind of screen , moreover it has a better battery life that S5, HTC one m8 and iphone 5s. The only phone with arguably better batterylife is the xperia z2, which sucks in other ways)
    3. Phone turns on in your pocket ( this is because of the knock-to-light up screen thing, you can easily disable it if you face this issue, or place the phone in your pocket with the screen facing outwards)

Reported issues in iphone 5s :
    1) Several issues and app crashes with the early 7.1.1 iOS 7
    2)Inaccurate sensors
    3) Issues with some apps not responding to the hardware and vice versa ( fixed overtime since 5S is relatively older now)

Conclusion : LG G3 is by far the best smartphone and will be fixed with fast update roll-outs as compared to the competition , where clients are still facing issues.

HOPE THIS MAKES YOU SMILE NOW.