Question about safestrap

Search This thread

mrbracht

Oct 22, 2010
Mankato, MN
Google Pixel 6
Hello, I am new to the note 3 and safestrap.

Anyways, question I have is. Can you format out the stock rom and then install a rom in its place under the stock rom slot? Thank you in advance

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

goldy253

Sep 18, 2009
Tacoma
Yes, we'll you don't format it. Save a backup of your stock slot, then flash your custom rom to the first slot.

Galaxy Note 3

Reactions: mrbracht

mrbracht

Oct 22, 2010
Mankato, MN
Google Pixel 6
Thank you for your response. Basically what I'm wondering is if you could only have 1 rom total on your phone to save space instead of having 2 roms. I. E. Stock and rom 1.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

pball52998

Jan 1, 2014
I wouldn't suggest deleting the stock ROM..... Since its Verizon you have a locked bootloader and can't flash kernels via safeatrap (safestrap can't flash kernels anyway.) So if you delete stock slot you pretty much delete kernel if I'm right, and you can't Odin it back to stock I don't think because of the bootloader..... So yes make a big backup of the stock. If you want to take the risk of erasing and having a brick you can try it...... Safe strap can only flash touch wiz ROMs because it can't touch the kernel since the bootloader is locked.....

Sent from my Rezound using xda-developers app. CyanogenMod 11. S-off

Reactions: mrbracht

pball52998

Jan 1, 2014
Don't we all hate Verizon lol? Its like with the HTC one they locked it and you couldn't unlock it on the htcdev website, until firewater came out :cool: but no one has figured out for the Samsung yet... I do admit I've looked into the bootloader.... That things a b****...... Motorola can't be unlocked either.... Currently me and my friend are working on something for that... But.... So yeah I wouldn't suggest wiping stock, I would be gung ho for it if bootloader was unlocked and had legit twrp.... But just only flash touch wiz ROMs. I would go debloated with a whatever theme you want, kit kat themes are awesome, Google now launcher!!!! Lol XD but yeah good luck man :$

DesigningKnights

Mar 26, 2014
So, if I'm reading this correctly, if I want to avoid using a second slot, I should dirty flash the custom rom over the stock rom? Is that correct? After I've made a backup of the stock rom slot course, and then backed up that backup, and then backed up that backup.

DesigningKnights

Mar 26, 2014
Ok well, there was no answer, but I got some advice elsewhere.

The safest method I was told of that also worked well for me was the following.

1. While in safestrap recovery with slot 1 active, make a backup of data and system.

2. Change to stock active and reboot into SS recovery.

3. Backup stock to be safe in case something goes wrong

4. Wipe with a regular factory reset.

5. Restore the backup from slot 1 into the stock slot.

6. Reboot.

7. Make sure it functions, then reboot into SS again and delete your slot 1 freeing up space.

Now I'm running JellyBeans Build 6 in my stock slot with no problems, and 19Gb free.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Yes, we'll you don't format it. Save a backup of your stock slot, then flash your custom rom to the first slot.

Galaxy Note 3
    I wouldn't suggest deleting the stock ROM..... Since its Verizon you have a locked bootloader and can't flash kernels via safeatrap (safestrap can't flash kernels anyway.) So if you delete stock slot you pretty much delete kernel if I'm right, and you can't Odin it back to stock I don't think because of the bootloader..... So yes make a big backup of the stock. If you want to take the risk of erasing and having a brick you can try it...... Safe strap can only flash touch wiz ROMs because it can't touch the kernel since the bootloader is locked.....