Portal Refresh Bug Report and Feature Request

Search This thread

svetius

Retired User Experience Admin
Dec 23, 2009
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2
OnePlus 9 Pro
Please report any bugs here. Mention what browser, browser version, and OS you are using, and also provide steps to recreate the problem.

Also, tell us how to improve the Portal. What new features do you want to see?

Thanks in advance. :cool:

bejank

Dec 2, 2008
Broadview Heights
www.bejank.com
I am using Google Chrome 16.0.912.63 beta-m (the latest beta version) on Windows 7. Even after logging off and logging back on, the portal sidebar still asks me to log in to access the widget. I have even tried this in an incognito browser (so that all the cookies are cleared), but it still won't show content after logging in.

the_scotsman

Assistant Forum Admin
Staff member
At the top right, the Google +1 text isn't a hyperlink, whereas all the other links next to it (FB, twitter, YT) have clickable text. Seems inconsistent.

I am using Google Chrome 16.0.912.63 beta-m (the latest beta version) on Windows 7. Even after logging off and logging back on, the portal sidebar still asks me to log in to access the widget. I have even tried this in an incognito browser (so that all the cookies are cleared), but it still won't show content after logging in.

Yea, same here. it's not even clickable.

EDIT: log out and back in, as it says in the article.

EDIT 2: Nope, still doesn't work.

Last edited:

rr5678

Dec 25, 2009
I think an improvement would be to remove the featured/popular posts thing. This may be me, but it looks a little too much like engadget now.

svetius

Retired User Experience Admin
Dec 23, 2009
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2
OnePlus 9 Pro
At the top right, the Google +1 text isn't a hyperlink, whereas all the other links next to it (FB, twitter, YT) have clickable text. Seems inconsistent.

Yea, same here. it's not even clickable.

EDIT: log out and back in, as it says in the article.

EDIT 2: Nope, still doesn't work.

Links are fixed.

Regarding the widget...try logging out, clearing browser cache, logging in. Once it works, it works. Or so it has been for me.

the_scotsman

Assistant Forum Admin
Staff member
Links are fixed.

Regarding the widget...try logging out, clearing browser cache, logging in. Once it works, it works. Or so it has been for me.

Google text still not hyperlinked for me.

Tried logging out, wiping cache and logging back in. Widget still doesn't work. This is in Chrome / W7 x64.

Also tried on IE, which I have never used for xda, so it's a fresh start. Logged in, widget still doesn't work.

Last edited:

the_scotsman

Assistant Forum Admin
Staff member
Another one (sorry :p)...

The Twitter, Facebook and Google+ links at the bottom of each post on the main portal page are just images. They're not linked to anything.

And when viewing an individual article, Google+ is missing completely from the bottom of the post.

Chrome 16 / Win7 x64 and verified on IE9.

Last edited:

TRusselo

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 20, 2011
Edmonton
1. same here, and the "log in" on the widget looks like it is supposed to be hyperlink but isnt.

2. and when loading site, when NOT logged in, there used to be a nice message to "non members" to check out and join the "world famous forums" and make sure to check out the "XDA New User Guide" that was written by some A-hole xda member.... oh wait that was me....
Want more?

On the main Portal page, clicking on "xx comments" for any of the articles only takes you to the article itself, and doesn't take you directly to the comments section of the article, as it should.
this WORKS fine for me on the ones i tried, make sure the link has /#comments BROKEN LINKS (top 2 posts) are /#respond
but tweet/+1/fb arent hyperlinked as posted above,

Last edited:

dazza9075

Jul 22, 2007
Suffolk
I get the feeling there are some very inconsistant rendering results.

The first time i logged on all i saw was adverts, there maybe the same number but they where much more in your face and apeared larger, it really did look terrible which might explain some of the comments you've had

I then reset my IE9 settings an i now cant comment on any portal posts, just doesnt let me type any more screen is there, all the buttons etc but it wont physically let me type, very odd. but on the plus side the adverts seem to have shrunk a bit. However there are some large gaps, namely below the widget that also doesnt work

There are 5 adverts on the portal, and although they appear larger and more in your face its not as bad as it was the first time i loaded the website and before i reset my browser, which to be fair, i shouldnt need to do. However when you click on the comments button for the article it brings up the list of comments and comments box (which i cant use) but also a couple of adverts right next to each other, that looks terrible, ill see if i can get a pic

oh, you might want to change the first article in the portal, the one with the pic of the new portal, your looking at the new portal, so you see what the pic is showing, except its like picture in picture, which might be a reason some folk think it looks messy, sounds silly, but youd be surprised how our minds work :)

oh an finally, will the new buttons frame be consistant through XDA, looks better if the buttons stay the same on all pages.

Last edited:

tim149

Sep 27, 2010
Good job

The new layout looks good without my addblocker but with it is a lot of white but great job :D

DeadSOL

May 8, 2011
The widget doesn't work here, either.
Also, I clicked on the "Galaxy S and Galaxy Tab Will Probably Get ICS" article at the top of the page but it is taking me to the HTC unlocked bootloaders article.

EDIT: Could you also space out the links to Forums, XDA TV, WIKI, Device DB, etc? They look a little too cramped.

Google Chrome 16 (with Adblocker installed) and Windows 7 (64 bit).

Simon_WM

Jun 28, 2009
Shipley
Am logged in on the forums, but i cant use the widget ? say i need to login ??

---------- Post added at 01:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:25 PM ----------

I think it's too much white, where is the yellow-brown XDA theme.
Same pb widget login/ social button

BTW Maybe the Donation page need a refresh too : http://xdaforums.com/donations.php

+1 for Donations revamp !

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Some suggestions/bugs from me:

• The Facebook Like button is always 52px wide, which is a problem in languages like German, where the text is "Gefällt mir" and thus gets cut off
    • The top stories module doesn't always have the correct links
    • Remove the borders around images in posts. Unneccessary clutter, I think
    • Make the padding in posts content just 1px smaller on each side, 9px, so you can insert excatly 600px wide images in posts. Right now it's 598px wide
    That's it for now.

More:

Tag view (example) is a bit messed up (sidebar is pushed down, metadata on posts is old format).
    Thanks for all of the feedback. I, and our developer, are watching this thread and are working on fixes.