ComicRack

Search This thread

Drybonz

Sep 20, 2008
Best PC comic reader software of all time now has an app in the Android market. It's a reader that syncs with the PC version. If you read digital comics you are going to want to check this out ASAP.

Reactions: Johnnie5000

atb1o1

Apr 19, 2007
Best PC comic reader software of all time now has an app in the Android market. It's a reader that syncs with the PC version. If you read digital comics you are going to want to check this out ASAP.

Tried it out yesterday. UI looks good but I don't like the way it handles folders. I prefer Komic's nested folder structure. It also takes up a lot of RAM and feels sluggish on my TF. But overall a good start and better than Perfect viewer IMO.

atb1o1

Apr 19, 2007
It destroys Komik. What do you mean by the way it handles folders? Are you using it with the desktop software?

I don't use the desktop version of ComicRack. What I mean is that ComicRack doesn't show the nested folder structure like Komik.

Just an example, on my explorer my X-Men folders are

X-Men
|_ Uncanny X-Men
__|_ Phoenix Saga
|_ House of M
__
|_Decimation

Komik will show just my X-Men folder on my "shelf" and let me drill down to the rest of the folders.

ComicRack will display all my folders in one list disregarding the nested structure. It is just my preference to keep the structure in place so it doesn't look messy and if you know how to make ComicRack behave that way I would love to know how.

Don't get me wrong, I like ComicRack. I think it does a better job displaying the comics compare to komik, plus it is only the first release. I'll be looking forward to more improvements.

satanius

Jul 27, 2011
I love this program on windows, have been using it for years, but prefer Perfectviewer on my tab for the same reason as atb1o1 - it doesn't have folder view, you can browse your files only through library. I see this trend in music players and other programs like ebook readers too, and i hate it. I keep all my files well organized in folders/subfolders and that's the way i prefer to browse them. One more thing, it doesn't display some of cbz files in library at all, and they are readable in other readers and windows version.

Drybonz

Sep 20, 2008
You can use the side bar to sort different ways and then stack in the browser. If you still can't find a sorting method that suits you go to his website and request a feature on the forum. He has been updating like crazy with new features sometimes twice a day. Also, use it with the desktop version... it's the best comic manager around.

Reactions: atb1o1

guardzero

Mar 1, 2011
Man this converted me. I was using komik mainly to read my hundreds of comic stored on my SD card, but after using comic rack for a day it just doesn't hold a candle. I do miss the stylized look of komik, but comic rack just works smoother and easier. Awesome find man.

Drybonz

Sep 20, 2008
The paid version just came out with wireless sync, and he is adding network sharing with the desktop version soon, so that you will be able to access your whole PC library from the tablet.

Are you using the series stacking in your list?

Yeah I've tried all the sorting/stacking options. very interesting exercise in over-engineering complexity. Just like my mp3 player all I want is a simple folder view, or if absolutely necessary a compiled series view based on folder/file names. No question there are some neat "eye-candy" UI options, but KomiK is far more useable.

All that aside the page turning is just too unreliable. I'll page once it'll be buttery smooth, then the next time it will do nothing with no indicator that it even took your input. Then when you get sick of waiting thinking it ignored you you page again and it flips pages twice. Generally KomiK is smoother and when it occasionally gets hung up loading a page it tells you with the little "Loading" toast message and never stacks the page turns like CR seems too.

This is is just my observations, obviously a lot of work went into this app and it sounds like it fits other peoples reading styles better than mine. I have about 12gb of comics on my sdcard at the moment so I may be to the extreme.

Tension113

Dec 29, 2010
I've been waiting for CR for awhile and have been using it since the day of release.. Comics are the main reason I have a tablet..

Although I love the app, it's not really ideal for large collections.. I haven't noticed any issues with page turning, but viewing by folder structure would really help.. It was suggested on the CR forums and he did add a sort by folder option.. but it's basically the same as sorting by series.. All the folders are lumped into one big list..

The closest I've come to being able to view things the way I'd like is using the 'genre' tag in CR for windows.. (Spider-man,X-men) So then I sort by genre and stack the series.. That way I can just go to Spider-man and only see those series without them being mixed in a giant list of other series..

Not totally ideal and will probably be annoying to maintain, but it's working for me so far..

Oh well different people like different things. Occasionally Komik seems to get hung up on some comics, but otherwise it's the best I've found. I have a comixology account, but can't stand their reader so I convert all the comics I get from them to cbz to read in Komik.

edit: ok just got an update pushed and i must say its much improved. folder view is almost good enough, but mult level would be better. paging is much improved bug would be better with finger tracking. launching is much faster than komik now. i still find komik a better design, bit now it's close. hope they keep up the improvements.

Last edited:

Matchstick

Aug 1, 2008
Are you using the series stacking in your list?

Stacking works fine as long as your naming scheme is in sync with what ComicRack is expecting, but if it isn't (and you're not synching from the Desktop version) it's problematic.

I do like comic rack (though the touch response seem a tad flakey at times) but it really could do with a way to define stacks manually within the Android App

kosmarnik

Jan 8, 2009
Tried it seems nice and all, but I have this weird bug with page turns. After a few pages, next/previous starts going random. Instead of the next/previous page I get to a random page.
Any idea why?

In the mean time PV works just fine.

Christian Troy

Sep 25, 2008
Venice (IT)
i tried it too but went back to pv again... imho it has better scaling algorithms...
comicrack is fancy but sometimes crashed and some comics did not scale very well (it looked like antialiasing was missing)

kosmarnik

Jan 8, 2009
i tried it too but went back to pv again... imho it has better scaling algorithms...
comicrack is fancy but sometimes crashed and some comics did not scale very well (it looked like antialiasing was missing)
Did you notice problem a with page turns?

I didn't notice anything wrong with scaling.
As to crashing, are you sure you have enough ram? I tried it on the Asus transformer.

sent from my hd2

Last edited:

Christian Troy

Sep 25, 2008
Venice (IT)
Yes on transformer.
I mean that some text look like not being properly antialiased, that doesn't happen with pv's default scaling algorithm.
Sometimes it crashed changing pages and sometimes library was missing and i had to restart the app several times... it has a fancy UI but i prefer pv

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    You can use the side bar to sort different ways and then stack in the browser. If you still can't find a sorting method that suits you go to his website and request a feature on the forum. He has been updating like crazy with new features sometimes twice a day. Also, use it with the desktop version... it's the best comic manager around.