[APP] Sky Go for Android (UK ONLY)

Search This thread

wilde1970

Nov 13, 2010
Crewe
Wondering if anyone can show me where im going wrong...

HTC Desire running Sandvold ICS, installed gumbalds skygo_test_0.1.5, and also hidden root, using voodoo OTA root keeper

when i go to a channel it sits at loading 0/100, occasionally it flashes a message in a box, but only for a split second, so not long enough to read it.

I'm running a SGII but I expect you would need to do the same as me and flash the closest stock kernel you can find before hiding root and then using sky go. Its a pain but the only way I can get it to work.

LeeDroid

Recognized Developer
Jan 13, 2007
Newton Aycliffe
www.leedroid.co.uk
Seems Sky are trying to spoil the fun by obfuscating the code!

As Sky are probably reading this: why not just do everyone a favour and let us use this on our phones without strange restrictions and checking. The more complicated you make your checking system for certain ROMs, kernels or such, the more complicated it seems it will be to update at your side and you might end up just cutting people off should their phones get updated by their network.

TELLING PEOPLE NOT TO UPDATE THEIR PHONES IS NOT THE SOLUTION TO THIS...

It's a joke man..

Been hacking away at the apk my self, there are a hell of a lot of checks in the "soap" smalis related to device IDs and hashes, sky need to pull their heads out of their asses and sort this out

Restorer

Dec 14, 2007
It's a joke man..

Been hacking away at the apk my self, there are a hell of a lot of checks in the "soap" smalis related to device IDs and hashes, sky need to pull their heads out of their asses and sort this out

Would be great Lee if you could get involved in the "project". If you can't help us directly maybe your contacts cans?

combat goofwing

Mar 3, 2009
Google Pixel 6 Pro
It's a joke man..

glad to see your working on it lee,are you making any progress and in your opinion do you think you cant getting working on a custom rom rooted phone

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using XDA Premium HD app

LeeDroid

Recognized Developer
Jan 13, 2007
Newton Aycliffe
www.leedroid.co.uk
glad to see your working on it lee,are you making any progress and in your opinion do you think you cant getting working on a custom rom rooted phone

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using XDA Premium HD app

Where there is a will there is a way :)

Sure it can be done but the work involved will be rather extensive

Sent from my LeeDrOiD loaded s-off HTC EVO 3D

Reactions: Restorer

Mitred

Apr 7, 2011
some great work going on here
Just a thought does the SkyGo apk look for an EMEI number and thats why it wont load the video for wifi only tablets?
ive got to the error 10 using Gumbald's 1.5
I.m using a Scroll Excel chinese tablet allwinnerA10

basscowboy

Aug 13, 2010
Liverpool
I think it might be something to do with S-OFF as well.

On my wife's Desire HD, she has S-OFF and can get the Sky News channel working only, I've got ENG S-OFF and get nothing !!!

Even when I restore a stock ROM / KERNEL that's rooted......

jmnathan

Feb 21, 2012
I'm currently using the Speedmod SGS2 kernel and all channels play fine when I hide root. Let me know if anyone needs more details about this. I think this is interesting as this clearly is a non standard kernel surely?

This is on my Galaxy S2, I9100.

Last edited:

LeeDroid

Recognized Developer
Jan 13, 2007
Newton Aycliffe
www.leedroid.co.uk
I'm currently using the Speedmod SGS2 kernel and all channels play fine when I hide root. Let me know if anyone needs more details about this. I think this is interesting as this clearly is a non standard kernel surely?

This is on my Galaxy S2, I9100.

Can you "adb pull /proc/config.gz" & upload it please?

Sent from my LeeDrOiD loaded s-off HTC EVO 3D

maltloaf

Feb 6, 2004
Hereford
Can anyone describe exactly how to get this running on XXLPH ?

I'm on a CFRoot kernel ? do I need stock but rooted ? would I lose CWM ? Anyone know where I might get this ?

I've hidden root and the app runs but only sky news works, everything else sits on loading at 0%

I've tried several of the modified apk's and the standard one. I've also tried spoofing my build to 2.3.7

I see from the database that lennyuk got his all working

Sorry for the noobish questions, I'm usually really good at getting these things going.

many thanks

malty

Lennyuk

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 26, 2010
Suffolk, England
Can anyone describe exactly how to get this running on XXLPH ?

I'm on a CFRoot kernel ? do I need stock but rooted ? would I lose CWM ? Anyone know where I might get this ?

I've hidden root and the app runs but only sky news works, everything else sits on loading at 0%

I've tried several of the modified apk's and the standard one. I've also tried spoofing my build to 2.3.7

I see from the database that lennyuk got his all working

Sorry for the noobish questions, I'm usually really good at getting these things going.

many thanks

malty

Flash stock lph kernel, you will keep root. If you need recovery just Flash back to cf-root first.

Sent from my GT-I9100

Reactions: maltloaf and rozel

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So can someone with a non-compatible handset try this? Seems too simple, but I can't try it.

This is just a device and OS version workaround, not root.
    Sky Go More than 2 Devices

!!EDIT!! Some people have been finding when you create a new account when following this guide, the new account has the devices from the first account replicated into it, any modifications to the devices in the new account affect the original account, I am sorry but I think this is what is "meant" to happen when a new account is created. I dont know of any fix for this unfortunately. !!EDIT!!

Hey Guys, I made a post earlier in this thread stating I knew how to get round the 2 device restriction, several people messaged me asking me for instructions on how to do so, I didnt realise so many people had been restricted by it, however, I was at work and couldnt post a follow up then so here it is.

I am not sure where I should post this, but this thread seems a good enough place at the moment as here is where people will be looking at information about the android sky go app so here goes:

I am not sure if this should be possible via the sky system or whether its just a very unpublished "feature" but you dont have to do anything dodgy to do this, I noticed it was possible when i was setting up an additional user for my housemate.

Basically the gist of this workaround makes use of the ability to link multiple sky user accounts together, if you know how to create sky user accounts, the solution is as simple as to create some more accounts and add more devices to the other accounts. for those who dont know how to do that I have more details below.

I am not sure whether this works for people who pay for the online subscription rather than have the sky service installed in their house. I have sky installed and it works for me.
    !!EDIT!! It seems people who only have sky go subscription cannot perform the verify your sky id step and therefore cannot create additional users, not sure if this applies to everyone but quote below from skimminstones says it doesnt work for him with just a sky go subscription !!EDIT!!

Im not sure it does. You have to verify your id to be able to add additional users and i have been told by sky that as i inly have a skygo subscription and not an actual house installation then i cant verify my id. Seems its not available

Go here and login using your original Sky ID /password:
    (I dont think I can post links yet so you will have to make the link)
    https:// skyid. sky .com/signin/mysky

Go to Profile & Settings > Additional Users

Click setup an additional user.
    Follow the steps to setting up a new user, you need another email address and thats about it really.

Login on the unregistered device with the newly created sky ID/pw
    you will now be able to register 2 new devices to this account, the original account will still have the two devices registered.
    you can have 9 additional users so 10 accounts in total, meaning you actually register 20 devices, more than most people will need I would think ;)

Good luck, hope this helps those that where being restricted by two devices.

Please avoid replying to this comment in this thread, pm me replies and I will edit this post with information on peoples success with this if you would like. I dont want to hijack this thread at all as really want to see the Sky go app working on my phone.

If a mod wants me to move this somewhere else I am more than happy to do so, but I dont think XDA has a specific sky forum :S
    Wifi only tablets seem to be coming up with "unknown error" when trying to view channels. I have a Archos 70 and Hannspree Hannspad both of which are doing this. Both allow me to sign in but will not let me view any channels Sky News or paid. Also people with Nook Color and Asus Transformer TF101 seem to have the same. So how is the app picking up on this?

Interesting link - I think I know why this is happening, let me try something, I'll upload it in a bit.

EDIT: Try the 0.1.3 version. I can't test this at the moment for wi-fi only device, but the app runs without a problem on my phone.
    Hi great work guys.
    after downloading and installing the hacked sky go i no longer get the unsupported device message, i then choose a channel and it loads up to 100 percent then i get a streaming error (error:37) message. Anyone else having this problem?. Thanks again guys.

I also get the (error37) on my Orange Monte Carlo (ZTE SKATE) using all the skygo_test apks when trying to view Sky News.

Looks like this error is "live viewing general error" - has it ever worked? Could be temporary on their side.

Tried both apk 1.2 and 1.3 last night on an Acer A500 Iconia with unrooted Honeycomb 3.2 rom, still doesnt stream, just comes back with unknown error when trying to watch anything.

Right, here's an updated version that should get people further on wi-fi only devices. Not expecting any video still yet though. There's more of you than I expected!

Usual disclaimers apply: I'm not responsible if your cat runs away, your device gets bricked, Sky send you a bill for "those channels" and your wife finds out. Use this at your own risk.
    The .apk is below, please report whether it works.

According to Sky it should only work on:
    HTC Desire
    HTC Desire S
    HTC Desire HD
    HTC Incredible
    HTC Sensation
    Samsung Galaxy S
    Samsung Galaxy S II.

And it only works on Froyo (2.2) and Gingerbread (2.3), so no ICS yet using the official app.

There are also some issues with root and DRM begin not able to see some content.

credit to Sky for the app.

credit to gumbald for the upload.

SGSIIs look here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=22821145

Update:
    Can you please only post if you have something to add to the discussion, not a post saying how do i get this working on my rom.

To be helpful follow this guide:
    1) Try this APK out if the one on the first post doesnt work (Also
    thank gumbald for his hard work here while you are there):
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=22801668&postcount=555

2) Check this spreadsheet (thank lennyuk for the spreadsheet management):
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AnLqAJT56SsbdGI2QWJYV1dodFpaWWk3QnkxLWNxN0E#gid=0
    look for your device, check to see what info is available for it if its found.

3)If you cant find your device And/Or you have more up to date info fill in this Form:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dGVDOXNockJRanJZcEtmNWdEemVIdUE6MQ

4) If you have something useful to add like, "I got Sky working after flashing this rom found at this xda thread" then post here detailing what you did and what android device this worked on, otherwise keep this thread clean please.

5) If you are having issues with 2 devices only on Sky, check here for a possible solution:
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=22756430&postcount=118