[Q] USB Tethering

Search This thread

jimmygoska

Apr 26, 2009
Hi,

I'm going to be changing my mobile provider to get a better rate and they want to charge me quite a bit more to enable 1GB of tethering per month with my unlimited data plan. I was wondering if there was a way around this? I read somewhere that custom ROMs sometimes can allow tethering without the additional plan and I also looked at Wired Tether which seems to do what I'm looking for.

I was wondering if someone might be able to shed a bit more light on the topic?

Cheers

EEwny

Mar 31, 2012
Details or this just seems like your trying to advertise an app.

Which provider do you have, which one are you going too? Only a few left that have unlimited for new users. If your on vzw are you on 4g or not?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using XDA

lippylion

May 28, 2012
Chesterfield
As they say more details required

Which provider you with for a start? The app you are highlighting will not do any more than the phone does already as all data passed through the phone is logged!

Looks like you either r find another provider or pay more, I have read through most of these forums for a few weeks now and have seen nothing that a custom rom will give you to find the loophole you are looking for.

jimmygoska

Apr 26, 2009
Which provider do you have, which one are you going too?

I'm in the UK using TalkMobile and am moving to Three.

Only a few left that have unlimited for new users.

Both providers do actually offer unlimited, 'fair usage'-free contracts. :D

Looks like you either r find another provider or pay more, I have read through most of these forums for a few weeks now and have seen nothing that a custom rom will give you to find the loophole you are looking for.

I haven't seen that explicitly written anywhere either, however, I checked and afaik Talkmobile do not allow tethering but I've been tethering for the entire duration of my contract.

SimonTS

Oct 23, 2011
Bristol
I'm in the UK using TalkMobile and am moving to Three.

Both providers do actually offer unlimited, 'fair usage'-free contracts. :D

I haven't seen that explicitly written anywhere either, however, I checked and afaik Talkmobile do not allow tethering but I've been tethering for the entire duration of my contract.

I'm currently with TalkMobile as well, only because I manged to sign up on their 12 month unlimited contract last year. I'm also looking at moving to Three. If you go on their 'One Plan' they actually state that they do support tethering, but none of their other plans do.

jimmygoska

Apr 26, 2009
I'm currently with TalkMobile as well, only because I manged to sign up on their 12 month unlimited contract last year.

That's exactly why I signed up in April last year. If you follow Quidco's offers they were offering 100 quid cashback for people to get a 12 month SIM only contract. One was 15 pounds/month with unltd internet.

If you do want to move, keep an eye on Quidco's Three offers, there can be some really good ones!

Reactions: SimonTS

SimonTS

Oct 23, 2011
Bristol
That's exactly why I signed up in April last year. If you follow Quidco's offers they were offering 100 quid cashback for people to get a 12 month SIM only contract. One was 15 pounds/month with unltd internet.

If you do want to move, keep an eye on Quidco's Three offers, there can be some really good ones!

Cheers mate, I'll keep an eye out. My plan is to go SIM-only and keep my DS running for a while, can't justify the cost involved for any of the phones which are out there right now. Three's SIM-only on the rolling contract looks like the best bet.

jimmygoska

Apr 26, 2009
Cheers mate, I'll keep an eye out. My plan is to go SIM-only and keep my DS running for a while, can't justify the cost involved for any of the phones which are out there right now. Three's SIM-only on the rolling contract looks like the best bet.

haha it's like reading my own thoughts. i really would like to get the One S but as you said I can't justify the cost of a new phone either. my friend just got the One S and has said I can root it and flash custom firmware for him since he doesn't know what he's doing. good times =P

what are your plans for tethering? do you tether?

SimonTS

Oct 23, 2011
Bristol
haha it's like reading my own thoughts. i really would like to get the One S but as you said I can't justify the cost of a new phone either. my friend just got the One S and has said I can root it and flash custom firmware for him since he doesn't know what he's doing. good times =P

what are your plans for tethering? do you tether?

I don't tether very often, but sometimes find myself in the situation with work where I need Internet immediately and tethering is the only way to do it.

Never had a problem yet doing it on TalkMobile, but I've got to be lucky with something in life :p

lippylion

May 28, 2012
Chesterfield
I'm not sure that providers can tell if you are tethering or not, been on orange fair use contract for two years and I tether twice a week with never a problem.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using XDA

Reactions: jimmygoska

jimmygoska

Apr 26, 2009
Cheers guys. In case anyone is interested, I've been using my new Three sim for 3 days now. I spoke to a Three representative yesterday and he told me that if I try and tether the tethered device will just not have network access. For the last two days though I have been using USB tethering without any problem. So no tethering package and at least USB tethering works. I haven't been able to try wifi hotspot as I'm using CoolDroid which (last time I checked) doesnt have functional wifi tethering.

Coverage is also pretty good in Southampton for anyone in the area considering changing =)

SimonTS

Oct 23, 2011
Bristol
Thanks for the info mate. Now I just need to get off my lazy backside and change service providers :cool:

As for the stuff about the signal in Southampton, it would be really useful if I still lived there, but I'll just have to test it for myself up here. At least you'll be able to get a signal while you're watching the matches at St.Marys :D

jimmygoska

Apr 26, 2009
Thanks for the info mate. Now I just need to get off my lazy backside and change service providers :cool:

As for the stuff about the signal in Southampton, it would be really useful if I still lived there, but I'll just have to test it for myself up here. At least you'll be able to get a signal while you're watching the matches at St.Marys :D

I'm afraid I'm not much of a football fan, but it will be nice to have signal on campus!

Also, I lived in Bristol until Sept and the signal there with Three isn't too bad. My family are on Three there and I had a Three sim in my work phone. =)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm currently with TalkMobile as well, only because I manged to sign up on their 12 month unlimited contract last year.

I'm not sure that providers can tell if you are tethering or not, been on orange fair use contract for two years and I tether twice a week with never a problem.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using XDA