VZW Radio 3.37.75 and PRI 2.03_002 Gives Best GPS to VZW Users!

Search This thread

b16daddy

Aug 31, 2007
San Jose
Okay.. I guess I will be the first one to report this..

10 minutes ago.. i had radio 3.42.50 installed with PRi 2.03_002.. PPCkitchen build 20273..

*Tomtom 7 GPS had 2 bars.. and was searching for about 45 seconds before picking up any satelite and getting a lock.. Keep in mind.. GPS reception inside my home is extremely bad regardless of Radio version .30, .40 or .50.. I normally get lock within 5 seconds on the freeway, but thats a whole different scenario..

I've just flashed the VZW Radio 3.37.. still with PRI 2.03_002.. PPCkitchen build 20273..

Tomtom GPS has 4 satelite on a cold start.. locks in about 5 seconds and now has 8 bars when locked..
this is a significant change for the better..

both test were made sitting here on my couch..

so i guess my conclusion is.. the new VZW Radio works best with this PRI 2.03_002..

Finally us VZW users get a break....

DCD Ripped 3.37.75 Radio Found here:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=421532

good luck..

VZW users, please try this and post your results..

Last edited:

paulash

Aug 18, 2007
I just tried it and got a lock under a minute, indoors. Not really that good, considering when I first installed 3.42.40 I got locks under 30 seconds indoors. Then for some reason it stopped being reliable and didn't lock as fast :p

I have PRI 1.35. Would upgrading to PRI 2.03_002 give me better results? How can I do that?

b16daddy

Aug 31, 2007
San Jose
I just tried it and got a lock under a minute, indoors. Not really that good, considering when I first installed 3.42.40 I got locks under 30 seconds indoors. Then for some reason it stopped being reliable and didn't lock as fast :p

I have PRI 1.35. Would upgrading to PRI 2.03_002 give me better results? How can I do that?

I've mentioned that the Radio 3.37.75 works with PRI 2.03_002..

Here is how to do this.. Read this whole post first!

Option 1: Safe, Fastest
Animez posted the Radio Refurbish.exe (PRI 2.03_002) in post #59
You can skip all of the Flashing the VZW Upgrade and Re-locking by running "Radio Refurbish.exe" to update your PRI.. Look in Post #61 on how to do it.. this process may require you to re-flash your custom ROM after because the PRI will not be updated in EPST after you run it..
Posted here:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=421275&page=6

I've never tried this step myself.. it is based on this post by NexVision:
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showpost.php?p=282968&postcount=33

if you try it.. please post your results..

Option 2: Safe, Longer Process
*Flash VZW MR1 Upgrade and let Customizations run(to get Radio 3.37.75 an dPRI 2.03_002)
*Unlock.. using NueSPL
*Flash Your Custom ROM..

Option 3: Highly Risky
to upgrade to the new PRI look here.. do some reading starting from Post #55... I Have posted detailed intructions on how to do this.. Important Some people like myself did:
*Flashed VZW MR1 Upgrade
*Re-Locked and Flashed back to Custom ROM
*Unlocked using NueSPL 2.47
*Flashed Radio
*Flashed Custom ROM
*Applied GPS FIX

Try not to Re-Lock and Flash back to stock ROM Beacuse it is HIGHLY RISKY.. you can really F*** up your phone..

And why did I do this? its just because I've done it many times without any problems.. maybe Im just lucky.. but there have been some reports of people messing up their devices.. so I sont recomend this last step..

Last edited:

animez

Mar 20, 2008
Knoxville, TN
Google Pixel 6
Nice find

I was using 3.42.50 radio with PRI 2.03_002 and DCD 3.2.6. I just flashed the 3.37.75 and I'm picking up 9 birds in my bedroom, where I usually get 3-4 at best. Can't wait to try this outside.:)

animez

Mar 20, 2008
Knoxville, TN
Google Pixel 6
Maybe not so good for me

While this seemed great at first, I don't think I'm getting a good (if any) lock now. Google maps and Live search are wildly inaccurate or won't lock now. I think I'm going to flash 3.42.40 as a few other thread have suggested good results with that radio. Will let ya know.

animez

Mar 20, 2008
Knoxville, TN
Google Pixel 6
3.42.40 is better for me on VZW

Well, it seems that the 3.42.40 radio is working much better for me. Haven't tested it outside, but GM & LS were much more accurate than they were with the 3.37.75 radio, locks were pretty quick too. The nine birds when I first tried 3.37.75 must have been a fluke.

iampedro

Feb 1, 2006
I've mentioned that the Radio 3.37.75 works with PRI 2.03_002..

Here is how to do this.. Read this whole post first!

Option 1: Safe, Fastest
Animez posted the Radio Refurbish.exe (PRI 2.03_002) in post #59
You can skip all of the Flashing the VZW Upgrade and Re-locking by running "Radio Refurbish.exe" to update your PRI.. Look in Post #61 on how to do it.. this process may require you to re-flash your custom ROM after because the PRI will not be updated in EPST after you run it..
Posted here:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=421275&page=6

I've never tried this step myself.. it is based on this post by NexVision:
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showpost.php?p=282968&postcount=33

if you try it.. please post your results..

*Flash VZW MR1 Upgrade and let Customizations run(to get Radio 3.37.75 an dPRI 2.03_002)
*Unlock.. using NueSPL
*Flash Your Custom ROM..

Option 3: Highly Risky
to upgrade to the new PRI look here.. do some reading starting from Post #55... I Have posted detailed intructions on how to do this.. Important Some people like myself did:
*Flashed VZW MR1 Upgrade
*Re-Locked and Flashed back to Custom ROM
*Unlocked using NueSPL 2.47
*Flashed Radio
*Flashed Custom ROM
*Applied GPS FIX

Try not to Re-Lock and Flash back to stock ROM Beacuse it is HIGHLY RISKY.. you can really F*** up your phone..

And why did I do this? its just because I've done it many times without any problems.. maybe Im just lucky.. but there have been some reports of people messing up their devices.. so I sont recomend this last step..

So are you saying that for option 2 to get the gps... I would have to use nueSPL correct... There is no way around using verizon wireless rom and getting gps?

gc14

Dec 21, 2007
Boston, MA
I'd be willing to bet my savings that it's pure coincidence...but that's good if it works for you

evanbriggs1

Aug 18, 2008
Worked just like i thought it would

*Unlock.. using NueSPL
*Flash Your Custom ROM..

took a total of 15 mins

Backed up my stuff with SPB backup
Flashed R1 Using NueSPL (let customizations go) of the SDcard
Flashed 3.2.6 (already had the radio in there 3.37.75)
Reloaded my backup, it works just like it did before the upgrade.

Im not sure what the issue was before but this worked like its supposed to.

b16daddy

Aug 31, 2007
San Jose
What advantages does this have over this solution?

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=423231

Is there something that we need to combine to improve this service?

umm.. I suppose its better.. GC is well connected and worked hard in the last month to get that FIX.. Props to him.. I just tried his QPST configuration myself..

When i created this thread last night.. I was getting about 4 Bars instant locks from Tomtom7 sitting here on my couch (after installing Radio 3.37.75 with PRI 2.03_002..) I normally get 1 or 2.. so it was a great improvement..

Today.. after applying GC's new QPST configuration.. Tomtom boots up with 6 Bars and locks instantly.. so it was an even greater improvement..

But what I was trying to confirm from this thread is.. Does the VZW Radio 3.37.75 and PRI 2.03_002 go well together like Apple & Pie.. Because I have tested all the Radios out there from my couch and BY FAR the VZW Radio gave me the most significant improvement..

So yes.. I do recommend you to apply GC's QPST configuration.. But if you could test the VZW Radio and then compare it with the other radios (.30 .40 .50)..

and post your result.. that'd be cool..

deboy_001

Aug 28, 2008
Would this work from stock (w/MR1 update) with just doing the gc gps fix? Or does one need to unlock/flash anything? Thanks

b16daddy

Aug 31, 2007
San Jose
Would this work from stock (w/MR1 update) with just doing the gc gps fix? Or does one need to unlock/flash anything? Thanks

From what I know.. you need to use a custom ROM that enables third party GPS.. the VZW Upgrade does not allow you to use any other gps software besides their VZNavgator.. hope that answers your question.. =)

BTW.. I've played around with the Upgrade and cannot find a reason to choose it over the PPCkitchen ROM.. it is much more flexible as far as customizations.. more apps.. more tweaks.. more stable.. I'd recomend you to give it a shot.. I dont know about DCD's ROMs because I haven't tried any of his lastest release.. but I just like the PPC kitchen better because it's user friendly.. Good luck..

Last edited:

Protonus

Aug 7, 2008
Webster, NY
protonus.ws
THis thread is completly moot, now that the aGPS fix / hack has been posted. NOTHING will give you a faster lock on VZW.

As such, I'd reccomend everyone run the old PRI (no reason to upgrade) and the newest radio - 3.42.50.

b16daddy

Aug 31, 2007
San Jose
THis thread is completly moot, now that the aGPS fix / hack has been posted. NOTHING will give you a faster lock on VZW.

As such, I'd reccomend everyone run the old PRI (no reason to upgrade) and the newest radio - 3.42.50.

I Didn't start this thread as a Guide nor did I say that this is the best configuration.. If you've read my first post.. you'd know that I was just trying to confirm if the VZW Radio works well with PRI 2.03..

this setup gave me the best result I've had thus far.. and I was just wonder if anyone out there would be willing to try it out and post their results..

Thanks for your concerns.. but that doesn't help me at all..