Android Wear Boot Animation for MotoACTV

Search This thread

wollac11

Aug 25, 2010
Cambridge
www.littlegreendude.com
Many of your likely saw the news of the LG G Watch system dump yesterday. It was pretty exciting stuff. I thought the boot animation looked really cool and I have just got hold of a MotoACTV and thought I should try and put them together. :D

I have managed to port the Android Wear boot animation from the LG G Watch system dump to the Motorola MotoACTV succesfully and I think it looks really nice. It is running at the same 30fps as it is designed to on the G Watch which looks a lot nicer than the 15fps stock animation. Obviously you still have the Moto logo on the bootloader but I may try and swap that for something neater too at some point. Anyway enough talk, below is link to a video of it in action!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DI5j4ScKt8U

I have attached the bootanimation.zip for other people who want to try it out and I'll add instructions on how to install it for those unsure a bit later on.

Update! - New version with more optimised frames for a smaller filesize and an even smoother animation on the device. Grab the replaced attachment! Also I have created a preview gif as you can see below. The video is still nice to look at to see how it actually performs during the boot but this gif gives a clearer view of the actual animation.

Update 2: - New PNG version! JPG version normally works better on this device though. See post #11

preview_new_zpsda1af1ba.gif

Attachments

• bootanimation.zip
    640.2 KB · Views: 1,010
  • png-bootanimation.zip
    431.3 KB · Views: 570
Last edited:

IgnorCZ

May 14, 2009
Nexus 4

Hi @wollac11 ... thanks so much for this amazing boot animation !!! Can you pls change the size of the animation for my N4 .. it is little bit small :( .. but i really like it ... thanks!

wollac11

Aug 25, 2010
Cambridge
www.littlegreendude.com
Hi @wollac11 ... thanks so much for this amazing boot animation !!! Can you pls change the size of the animation for my N4 .. it is little bit small :( .. but i really like it ... thanks!

No problem, glad you like it! But yeah this one is designed specifically for the MotoACTV and although it will be compatible with some other devices which support this type of boot animation it won't look good. I could potentially make it for other devices too though I just thought doing it for an existing smartwatch would be a cool thing to try first given that is what it was designed for.

The main issue is that the LG G Watch has a pretty small screen too (not as small as the ACTV) so the resolution of the source images is not that high. I may have to recreate each frame from scratch at a higher resolution to make it look good for large devices which would be very time consuming. I might be able to vectorise each fame and then scale them it I guess. There are a few other things I could potentially try to make it look okay as well.

Anyway, I have the Nexus 4 so I'll see of I can produce something for phones of that display size which still looks good. If I do, I'll post it.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: IgnorCZ

IgnorCZ

May 14, 2009
Yeah this one is designed specifically for the MotoACTV and although it will be compatible with some other devices which support this type of boot animation it won't look good. I could potentially make it for other devices too though I just thought doing it for an existing smartwatch would be a cool thing to try first

The main issue is that the LG G Watch has a pretty small screen too (not as small as the ACTV) so the resolution of the source images is not that high. I may have to recreate each frame from scratch at a higher resolution to make it look good for large devices which would be very time consuming. I might be able to vectorise each fame and then scale them it i guess. There are a few other things I could potentially do to make it look okay.

Anyway, I have the Nexus 4 so I'll see of I can produce something for phones of that display size which still looks good. If I do I'll post it.

It's up to you!! .. Now I can see how hard it can be to done this.... I like the idea of this boot animation ... but if it takes to much energy and time ... don't do it :) ....

.. anyway good job!!!!

Reactions: wollac11

wollac11

Aug 25, 2010
Cambridge
www.littlegreendude.com
@IgnorCZ Good news! I have managed to make a version for the Nexus 4! I was able to trace and vectorise every frame to create scalable SVGs of each. From which I can create PNG or JPG frames (depending on device requirements) of every resolution. That means I can make them for any device now. Also, because the Nexus 4 has greater than Android 4.1 I can use C loops in this one which means the loops of the animation work in the same way as you would see on the LG G Watch (which is better than what I did on the MotoACTV as it runs Gingerbread). It doesn't matter so much for the ACTV anyway because the boot time is so low and is pretty consistent.

See a video of it in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jior6pwamg The boot animation is attached here but I am also going to do a separate thread explaining the installation process, how I made it and taking requests for other devices (I shall be doing the N7 2013 next).

I may also make flashable zips for ease. Eventually I'll probably bundle them all together with an AROMA installer zip so you can flash it to a range of devices (choosing your resolution and Android version in the installer).

This zip is for the Nexus 4 but will work well on any device with a 1280x768 display and Android 4.1 or higher. Enjoy! :D

Attachments

• bootanimation.zip
    3.8 MB · Views: 78
Last edited:

IgnorCZ

May 14, 2009
@IgnorCZ Good news! I have managed to make a version for the Nexus 4! I was able to trace and vectorise every frame to create scalable SVGs of each. From which I can create PNG or JPG frames (depending on device requirements) of every resolution. That means I can make them for any device now. Also, because the Nexus 4 has greater than Android 4.1 I can use C loops in this one which means the loops of the animation work in the same way as you would see on the LG G Watch (which is better than what I did on the MotoACTV as it runs Gingerbread). It doesn't matter so much for the ACTV anyway because the boot time is so low and is pretty consistent.

See a video of it in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jior6pwamg The boot animation is attached here but I am also going to do a separate thread explaining the installation process, how I made it and taking requests for other devices (I shall be doing the N7 2013 next).

I may also make flashable zips for ease. Eventually I'll probably bundle them all together with an AROMA installer zip so you can flash it to a range of devices (choosing your resolution and Android version in the installer).

This zip is for the Nexus 4 but will work well on any device with a 1280x768 display and Android 4.1 or higher. Enjoy! :D

Hi you are THE MAN !!! It's absolutely beautiful!! I don't really understand what you did but it's working!!! :D Flashable zip would be cherry on top of the cake :) .... THANKS!!!

Igy

PS: out of "thanks" .. I will do it tomorrow ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: wollac11

wollac11

Aug 25, 2010
Cambridge
www.littlegreendude.com
Hi you are THE MAN !!! It's absolutely beautiful!! I don't really understand what you did but it's working!!! :D Flashable zip would be cherry on top of the cake :) .... THANKS!!!

Igy

Nice to see you enjoy it! I have actually found I can improve the animations for the Nexus 4 and 7 (and other future devices) by quite a bit through better optimising the PNG frames in the animation to reduce the boot-animations overall file-size. The result of this is that the animation looks much smoother. I will post an updated version of the bootanimation.zip in the new thread I will create later and add a link to there from here. :D

IgnorCZ

May 14, 2009
Nice to see you enjoy it! I have actually found I can improve the animations for the Nexus 4 and 7 (and other future devices) by quite a bit through better optimising the PNG frames in the animation to reduce the boot-animations overall file-size. The result of this is that the animation looks much smoother. I will post an updated version of the bootanimation.zip in the new thread I will create later and add a link to there from here. :D

Perfect!!! Best gonna be even better :) .. huge thanks :)

wollac11

Aug 25, 2010
Cambridge
www.littlegreendude.com
Perfect!!! Best gonna be even better :) .. huge thanks :)

The new optimised version for the Nexus 4 can be found on my new thread along with other devices here: http://xdaforums.com/android-wear/g...-boot-animation-devices-t2776091/post53236022

This thread will now only be for the MotoACTV version. I have also uploaded a new version of the MotoACTV version in the OP here (replacing the old attachment) which is better optimised as well although the difference is less significant than it is on other device versions as due to the resolution being so low and using jpg frames the MotoACTV version was already tiny!

wollac11

Aug 25, 2010
Cambridge
www.littlegreendude.com
Quick update

Turns out the PNG frames will work on the MotoACTV however it doesn't seem to load them as fast as JPGs for some reason despite the opposite being true for the bootanimations on most other devices and so in my experience at least, the JPG versions are better (smoother) on this device.

However I understand people's mileage may vary and some people will take a trade off in framerate for the sharper edges and so I have uploaded a PNG version. This will of course need to be renamed before dropping in /data/local or /system/media. You will also notice I have also replaced the preview gif for one with a higher framerate that more accurately represents the speed it appears on the device!

Last edited:

C--Dog

Aug 2, 2012
How do you change it?

So, how do you change the boot animation? Do we just flash the attached zip in recovery?

wollac11

Aug 25, 2010
Cambridge
www.littlegreendude.com
So, how do you change the boot animation? Do we just flash the attached zip in recovery?

Hi, no this is not a flashable zip. You push it to /data/local or /system/media with adb or using a root file explorer. If pushing to /system/media it will actually overwrite the existing animation so I suggest backing it up first. If using a root file explorer then you will also need to set the file permissions to 644.

For example: running "adb push bootanimation.zip /data/local/" should do the trick.

Last edited:
Reactions: C--Dog

jctlmm

Aug 20, 2014
Hi, no this is not a flashable zip. You push it to /data/local or /system/media with adb or using a root file explorer. If pushing to /system/media it will actually overwrite the existing animation so I suggest backing it up first. If using a root file explorer then you will also need to set the file permissions to 644.

For example: running "adb push bootanimation.zip /data/local/" should do the trick.

So, do I need to root first my MotoACTV and then copy this file as indicated? Thanks.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Many of your likely saw the news of the LG G Watch system dump yesterday. It was pretty exciting stuff. I thought the boot animation looked really cool and I have just got hold of a MotoACTV and thought I should try and put them together. :D

I have managed to port the Android Wear boot animation from the LG G Watch system dump to the Motorola MotoACTV succesfully and I think it looks really nice. It is running at the same 30fps as it is designed to on the G Watch which looks a lot nicer than the 15fps stock animation. Obviously you still have the Moto logo on the bootloader but I may try and swap that for something neater too at some point. Anyway enough talk, below is link to a video of it in action!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DI5j4ScKt8U

I have attached the bootanimation.zip for other people who want to try it out and I'll add instructions on how to install it for those unsure a bit later on.

Update! - New version with more optimised frames for a smaller filesize and an even smoother animation on the device. Grab the replaced attachment! Also I have created a preview gif as you can see below. The video is still nice to look at to see how it actually performs during the boot but this gif gives a clearer view of the actual animation.

Update 2: - New PNG version! JPG version normally works better on this device though. See post #11

preview_new_zpsda1af1ba.gif

No problem, glad you like it! But yeah this one is designed specifically for the MotoACTV and although it will be compatible with some other devices which support this type of boot animation it won't look good. I could potentially make it for other devices too though I just thought doing it for an existing smartwatch would be a cool thing to try first given that is what it was designed for.

The main issue is that the LG G Watch has a pretty small screen too (not as small as the ACTV) so the resolution of the source images is not that high. I may have to recreate each frame from scratch at a higher resolution to make it look good for large devices which would be very time consuming. I might be able to vectorise each fame and then scale them it I guess. There are a few other things I could potentially try to make it look okay as well.

Anyway, I have the Nexus 4 so I'll see of I can produce something for phones of that display size which still looks good. If I do, I'll post it.

Yeah this one is designed specifically for the MotoACTV and although it will be compatible with some other devices which support this type of boot animation it won't look good. I could potentially make it for other devices too though I just thought doing it for an existing smartwatch would be a cool thing to try first

The main issue is that the LG G Watch has a pretty small screen too (not as small as the ACTV) so the resolution of the source images is not that high. I may have to recreate each frame from scratch at a higher resolution to make it look good for large devices which would be very time consuming. I might be able to vectorise each fame and then scale them it i guess. There are a few other things I could potentially do to make it look okay.

Anyway, I have the Nexus 4 so I'll see of I can produce something for phones of that display size which still looks good. If I do I'll post it.

It's up to you!! .. Now I can see how hard it can be to done this.... I like the idea of this boot animation ... but if it takes to much energy and time ... don't do it :) ....

.. anyway good job!!!!

Igy