Search This thread

lesdense

Mar 27, 2011
LG G6
Samsung Galaxy S10
Sure,
lets say this, this
or this at 3.200
Each of these options has pluses and minuses. The reviews at each of the links say as much. One of the batteries you linked to has retractable power "prongs" so the A/C adapter is built in, a great option. Another has a proprietary power cord and the third has no charge status indicators (minuses, IMO). All of them are a little heavier than others I've seen, but only by an ounce or so. They are certainly cheaper than brand name alternatives. I won't be the first to plug no-name power sources into my electronics but I appreciate the feedback from users who do.

rcboosted

Nov 13, 2010
Sure,
lets say this, this
or this at 3.200

Ah, I've went through those too. I've issues with their 5.5v output voltage. That means the phone/nook will have to dissipate that extra voltage as heat. At best, it'll heat it up more, worse, it'll be over the spec and burn something out overtime. I have no way for sure to know if that's the case, but I'm sticking with 5v output voltage. I love the extra capacity though.

bigted41

Dec 24, 2010
i go on long trips that I might not have a wall plug in (bicycle touring). I have two of these bad boys:

http://www.epowerpad.com/model/PPD130.aspx

they power the nook color and all of my phones no problem. each battery has 2 usb ports to charge and one cable to charge my laptop. It's a lot of money, but I can charge my nook color 5 times over with one of these.

d.v

Mar 4, 2011
i go on long trips that I might not have a wall plug in (bicycle touring). I have two of these bad boys:

http://www.epowerpad.com/model/PPD130.aspx

they power the nook color and all of my phones no problem. each battery has 2 usb ports to charge and one cable to charge my laptop. It's a lot of money, but I can charge my nook color 5 times over with one of these.

Pricey but thanks for the link.

Do they "fast charge" your NC like the stock charger does?

rcboosted

Nov 13, 2010
Last edited:

RASTAVIPER

May 2, 2011
Two more options just became available:

monster 6600mah
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/6600mah-rechargeable-external-battery-with-usb-cable-silver-black-59886

4000mah
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/4000mah-rechargeable-external-battery-with-usb-cable-white-59885

I JUST ordered the 2400mah this week... But some consolation, by a pure mah/dollar point of view, the 2400mah is the best:

2400mah 193.55mah/$1
4000mah 142.86mah/$1
6600mah 126.44mah/$1
And the 3000?Why u didnt check this option?
Anyway, we will wait for comments after U use it.

SCWells72

Feb 12, 2011
I picked up one of these a few years back for a trans-Atlantic flight to keep my iPhone, PSP, etc., alive as long as possible:

http://www.lenmar.com/Web/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductID=PPU2400B

It's worked quite well for me and seems to provide power to the Nook just fine by plugging its own USB cable into the battery.

I think I got it at Fry's for ~$25 at the time. I'm sure there are plenty of other options on the market now, but these general types of solutions seem to work great.

Stev3-o

May 2, 2011
What about these 8000mah, though I can only imagine using them on long distance trips.
You can finally wear that sweater with the custom made pocket for Ipad but only to hold the charger:D

Maybe able to power the Nook one and a half charge or a few good charges on the cellphone. Charge to full is about 4hrs. There's a discontinued 30 pin female to female usb converter to enable dual charging.
cablejive.com/universal-dock-converter
Couldn't find any reviews, what're your thoughts?

cgi.ebay.ca/Battery-8000mAh-Pack-USB-Cable-iPad-Apple-/160590173094?pt=US_Tablet_Accessories&hash=item2563eb93a6

yeedong.com/buy-wholesale-Gadgets-Energizer-8000mAh-Universal-Battery-Pack-w-IPad-tip---XP8000+pid_5170+country_14+currency_14.aspx

qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/view.2/app.detail/params.item.E248547.desc.dreamGEAR-iPad-8000mAh-Portable-Power-Lithium-Battery?&cookie=set

jared_c

Feb 26, 2011
One of the things to keep in mind about the fast chargers is that they do something funky with the data pins to indicate that they're not a computer. USB devices have to ask permission from the host computer to increase their power draw above the default level, which I think might be 100 mA. They're also limited to a maximum of something like 500 mA. AC adapters do something funky, like short the two data pins together, or to ground, or something along those lines to indicate that they're not a computer and you can draw as much as you like without asking permission. If that's not implemented on the aftermarket charger then the USB device, like the nook, won't draw more than 100 mA so as to stay compliant with the USB spec.

Stev3-o

May 2, 2011
Does the Nook do fast charges through the AC? I ordered an external battery travel charger+USB port for my Samsung Captivate and I'm going to short the data cable to enable fast charge.
Will this fry the Nook as some devices can't take 850mA input?

Explore3

Mar 6, 2011
Google Pixel 7
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Well, I said I'd update once I recieved my extension cable, so here it is...

I finally received my extension cable and it allows me to use my Monoprice charger with my Nook, so that's great. In the end, it wasn't needed. I ended up RMA'ing my charger back to Monoprice because the thing had a dull buzz when not being used and a high pitch noise when either charging a device or being charged. I'm happy to report that the new charger works with or without the extension cable on my Nook Color and on my EVO 4G. In the end though, I like the extension cable because it gives me more flexibility when using the charger.

Here are the links again...

Monoprice Charger
Extension Cable
I ordered the monoprice charger. Relatively small and light plus it works! I found the connection between the charger and my nook and phone were a bit of a pain to use while traveling. Therefor, I ordered the ebay cable.

On an overseas flight, I might just plug the charger in when I drop below 60%. This would slowly recharge the unit while I am using the nook. However, I am hoping that recent advances in battery life will force me to repurpose my nook battery backup charger to a battery backup phone charger.

rcboosted

Nov 13, 2010
Two more options just became available:

monster 6600mah
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/6600mah-rechargeable-external-battery-with-usb-cable-silver-black-59886

4000mah
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/4000mah-rechargeable-external-battery-with-usb-cable-white-59885

I JUST ordered the 2400mah this week... But some consolation, by a pure mah/dollar point of view, the 2400mah is the best:

2400mah 193.55mah/$1
4000mah 142.86mah/$1
6600mah 126.44mah/$1

I got my 2400mah charger. It worked with my Epic and Nook without causing touch screen issues. New lithium batteries need a few cycles for all the capacity to be realized, so I did about 5 or 6 50% discharges over the past week. So here's my test result:

At 25% batteries left in my Epic (1500mah lipo), it charges it to 100% taking 2.5 hrs. That makes it around 450ma charging current by my estimate, not counting efficiency. If I take 80% efficiency in the phone charging circuit, that makes it around 560ma charging current.

The charger has 3 leds which blinks in sequence according to capacity during charging. I'm assuming 3 led means full, 2 is at 66%, and 1 at 33%. Since you should NEVER discharge a lithium battery beyond 80% of their rated capacity, I stop discharging it soon after the last led started blinking. Which surprisingly made some interesting math. Assuming 2400mah is the true capacity of the battery in the charger:

2400mah x 80% (never discharge beyond 80%) x 80% (charger circuit efficiency) x 80% (phone charging circuit efficiency) = 1228.8mah.

which incidentally is very close to 1500mah x 75%(my phone stage of charge) =1125mah. Very close to the above! Of course all of the above are without a shred of proof, and it's backed up by flying monkeys and unicorns. But I do know this, the charger will charge my 1500mah Epic from 25% to full without damaging the cell in the charger.

There's my review.

Explore3

Mar 6, 2011
Google Pixel 7
Google Pixel 7 Pro
I got my 2400mah charger. It worked with my Epic and Nook without causing touch screen issues. New lithium batteries need a few cycles for all the capacity to be realized, so I did about 5 or 6 50% discharges over the past week. So here's my test result:

At 25% batteries left in my Epic (1500mah lipo), it charges it to 100% taking 2.5 hrs. That makes it around 450ma charging current by my estimate, not counting efficiency. If I take 80% efficiency in the phone charging circuit, that makes it around 560ma charging current.

The charger has 3 leds which blinks in sequence according to capacity during charging. I'm assuming 3 led means full, 2 is at 66%, and 1 at 33%. Since you should NEVER discharge a lithium battery beyond 80% of their rated capacity, I stop discharging it soon after the last led started blinking. Which surprisingly made some interesting math. Assuming 2400mah is the true capacity of the battery in the charger:

2400mah x 80% (never discharge beyond 80%) x 80% (charger circuit efficiency) x 80% (phone charging circuit efficiency) = 1228.8mah.

which incidentally is very close to 1500mah x 75%(my phone stage of charge) =1125mah. Very close to the above! Of course all of the above are without a shred of proof, and it's backed up by flying monkeys and unicorns. But I do know this, the charger will charge my 1500mah Epic from 25% to full without damaging the cell in the charger.

There's my review.
Given your estimated "true" capacity of your 2400mah charger at 1229mah, does it make sense to use it as a charger for the NC? The NC has a 4000mah battery will having the charger make a significant difference? Of course the same question can be asked about my purchase of the monoprice 2800mah charger.

I am going to see what my battery life is after I upgrade to the new kernel. If it does not improve, I will consider this one (after finding out the weight). I think if you used the Nook charging cable you should get "standard" charging times.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10831&cs_id=1083110&p_id=8295&seq=1&format=2
7800mAh Universal External Backup Battery for Mobile Devices, iPod, iPad, iPhone, Kindle, and more

This 7800mAh universal power bank for iPad and various other USB device’s, is an amazing solution for re-charging your devices back up to full capacity. The power bank can charge two devices at the same time, as it has two outputs. These types of battery backups were used to power the flux capacitor inside the Delorean when it was getting low on juice and it can do the same for your high end USB devices that need the same type of charging power.
The power bank is universal and works for Ipad, iPod, iPhone, and other USB devices including phones. Equipped with a one touch battery indication for turning the backup battery on or off for your convenience. Charging the battery is simple and can be charged within 5 hours under their max output, by a PC, a USB wall charger or your car charger.

* The letters on the backup battery, "PoweRocks" Is an indicator that will fuly light up when the backup battery is fully charged, and as the battery runs out of the backup battery, the lights to the letters start going out. So the if the full title, "PoweRocks" is lit up, it would indicate a full charge, while if onlythe "P" or "PoweRocks" is lit up, then the backup battery is almost out of power.

Note: USB I is a tablet charging port with 1000mah output/ 2.1 amps - and USB II as a 500mah for phone outputs. Standby time, talk time, internet use, audio playback and video playback all vary per device and usage.

rcboosted

Nov 13, 2010
Given your estimated "true" capacity of your 2400mah charger at 1229mah, does it make sense to use it as a charger for the NC? The NC has a 4000mah battery will having the charger make a significant difference? Of course the same question can be asked about my purchase of the monoprice 2800mah charger.

I tested the 2400mah charger with my nook last week, and I can get about 25% of the nook charged when hitting the last led on the charger. It seems to charge faster than using a regular usb cable and a standard iphone 120v usb adapter.

I would say bring it on your travel as a supplement charger. You can use it to charge all your USB devices and use it in emergencies. A super capacity battery powered charger will need to be plugged into the wall sometime right?

RASTAVIPER

May 2, 2011
I didnt see that somewhere.
So, how many hours more can you use nook with this battery?

Sent from Nook Color on Phiremod 6.3 @1.3Ghz

lesdense

Mar 27, 2011
LG G6
Samsung Galaxy S10
I didnt see that somewhere.
So, how many hours more can you use nook with this battery?

Sent from Nook Color on Phiremod 6.3 @1.3Ghz
This question -- how many more hours, is how I look at the value of external batteries. Sure, you might be stranded somewhere and have 2-3 hours or more to recharge your Nook with an external battery, but a much more important factor for me is how long I can extend the battery life of my Nook with an external battery. As I wrote in a similar thread some time ago, I bought an Energizer XP2000 for about $35 at an OfficeMax (they're widely available). 2000 mAh capacity, weighs about 2oz, comes with its own cord with six different ends for different devices. I plugged it into my fully-charged Nook at 10,000 ft flying out of Seattle, watched non-stop video at 70% brightness in Airplane Mode for nearly five hours to Baltimore and still had 58% battery left on my Nook (the Energizer was discharged).

Starting years ago with PDAs my strategy on trips was to use external batteries right from the start so when I got where I was going I didn't have a dead phone or PDA. If I have no other choices, at the end of a trip I want my external battery to be dead, not my internal.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    XP2000 looks great. Can I assume the XP8000 would be even better? Yeah, it weighs more but is rated 8000 mAh vs 2000 for the XP2000.

While we're on the topic the XP2000 is called a "portable charger" and the XP8000 is called an "external battery". Is there really a difference?

Yes the XP8000 would be better. Especially if your a long distance traveler. Portable charger and external battery is essentially the same thing.

here is a link to assist in selecting the right one for you.

http://www.energizerpowerpacks.com/us/downloads/ProductGuide2010.pdf
    I'm interested in a similar charger, but with 2400mah.
    http://www.dealextreme.com/p/2400ma...a-cable-for-htc-desire-g5-samsung-i9000-57905

Does it work with your android phone? A lot of after market chargers makes the touch screen unusable while charging. Does it work both while plugged into the wall and using the internal battery?
    I use this with my nook. I can't answer any questions related to workability with Android phones. That's not this forum.

While using this device to charge my nook, my nook is completely usable. It will charge my nook when the device is plugged into the wall. It will also charge my nook when it's not plugged into the wall (it is a battery, after all). In either situation, my nook is completely usable when connected to this.

I use this battery with my proprietary nook charging cable.
    Wonderful report. I'm in the market for an external battery. A couple of questions if I may.

So one of the 6 tips works with an NC? I thought the NC's cord and tip were special to enable the quick charging. Do the Energizer products support this technology?
    The micro USB tip that comes with the Energizer works fine with the Nook. I don't know about "fast charge" vs. "slow charge" and all that but it definitely works. One SUBSTANTIAL advantage of the XP2000 over the larger capacity models (of the Energizer line) is that you can use any USB-to-mini USB cable, including the one that comes with it, and plug it into either a USB power plug adapter or a USB port on a computer to charge it. The XP4000, XP8000 and XP18000 all require their own power adapter. It's included in the purchase of course but I don't like carrying around another cord. Not a deal-breaker, just a factor.
    +1 I did the same thing with my original ipod touch. I bought Just Wireless SKU 10047 at Target on clearance awhile back. It says Output 5V=1A. Does anyone have any experience with how long this one will last playing back videos and what Battery level the nook will be at if it starts at 100? I have the 4 LED's full charge and can connect it to my nook with its micro usb connection. Just have not tried to drain it yet?
    Just a heads-up. When I searched this manufacturer and model number on Amazon the product that came up, a small device external charger, had the worst reviews I've ever seen on Amazon. Ten reviews, all from different people, over a 2 1/2 year period, every one a one-star (lowest) rating with damning commentary. Maybe I found the wrong product, maybe the reviewers are wrong, but FYI.