New to Samsung. Stupid question.

Search This thread

bluesy_92

Jun 5, 2011
Moto G 5G
I'm a Nexus user, and have been for a while. This is my first non-Nexus Android device in a few years. Now, my understanding of Samsung is that Odin can be used to flash pretty much anything, including bootloaders. So, why is the S5 not unlocked? What is preventing Odin from being used to convert the regular S5 to the developer edition, simply by replacing the bootloaders?

Sent from my SM-G900V using XDA Free mobile app

Dennisg34

Jan 30, 2013
New Hampshire
I'm a Nexus user, and have been for a while. This is my first non-Nexus Android device in a few years. Now, my understanding of Samsung is that Odin can be used to flash pretty much anything, including bootloaders. So, why is the S5 not unlocked? What is preventing Odin from being used to convert the regular S5 to the developer edition, simply by replacing the bootloaders?

The keys.

maxpower7

May 2, 2011

Because bootloaders are device-specific. For the purposes of this discussion, the S5 retail edition and S5 dev edition are different devices. I'm in your boat - my last phone was a Nexus 5. I switched carriers for better service (boo, Sprint), and I'm happy with the S5 for the most part, but there are definitely a lot of things that I miss about the N5. Easy flashing is one of them. If the Moto X+1 launches later this month at a Nexus-ish price point like I've been hearing, I will almost certainly sell the S5 and buy one.

And yes, I realize that the Verizon X+1 will most likely have a locked bootloader as well. But it'll also have (mostly) stock Android and (probably) speedy updates. Not knocking the S5 by any means, but I'm definitely a stock Android guy.

bluesy_92

Jun 5, 2011
Moto G 5G
As much as I'd hate to admit it, because I've always run CyanogenMod, I'm not sure I'd need it. I'm kinda starting to like what they've done with TouchWiz. The camera app is amazing, ultra power saving mode, the fingerprint scanner...

I miss the customization and performance tuning, but rooted TouchWiz seems like what AOSP should've been. And if TouchWiz was more user-customizable, what custom ROMs should've been. I remember TouchWiz from the Froyo days...never thought I'd like it more than AOSP.

Last edited: