XDA-developers ROMkitchen: cook your own ROMs

Search This thread

laurens0619

Jun 22, 2003
im trying to add manually a program. i tried with mkrom. add the files to the files2 directory, some changes in default.reg

then this in the initobj.txt:

Code:
Directory("\Program Files\CEEJ Virtual Machine\Swing"):-File("SimpleSwing.jar","\windows\files\SimpleSwing.jar")
Directory("\Program Files\CEEJ Virtual Machine\Swing"):-File("ReadMe.txt","\windows\files\ReadMe.txt")
Directory("\Windows\CEEJ"):-File("CEEJ.exe","\windows\files\CEEJ.exe")
Directory("\Windows\CEEJ\Libraries"):-File("swingall.jar","\windows\files\swingall.jar")
Directory("\Windows\CEEJ\Libraries"):-File("font.properties","\\windows\files\font.properties")
Directory("\Windows\CEEJ\Libraries\security"):-File("java.security","\windows\files\java.security")
Directory("\Windows\AppMgr"):-File("Skelmir CEEJ Virtual Machine.DAT","\windows\files\Skelmir CEEJ Virtual Machine.DAT")

But after the boot the map's are there in the windows direcyory, but the files are empty. i just deleted a bunch of files out of the files2 directory because this program is about 4 meg. but then i had serveral errors. the kitchten can remove programs. but can it add also one? because with mkrom i haven't got success.

sandyind

Jun 11, 2003
Nomad
XDA ROM Kitchen Upgrade

Guys
Terrific kitchen - makes us hungry for more !!! This is simply phenomenal. Thank you xda-developers and jeff summers. Upgraded successfully and no issues so far (about 4 minutes). Used an older version of Programme A and hence took an hour to flash the ROM. Next time I'll use the O2 version which seems so much faster.
PS: You may want to include Converter in the list of options - very useful if you happen to travel around and have to deal with different units in different places...
If only the XDA could mix cocktails, cook dinner and clean up afterwards..
Cheers
Sand

Silversurfer

Jun 5, 2003
Hi all,

Has somebody worked out how to include wmodem into the MW2003 rom?

This is what I really wait for.

Besides this the kitchen is really really cool.

Thanks to all involved of cause special thanks to Jeff Summers.

regards,

Silver

Peter Poelman

Retired Administrator
Jan 19, 2003
Amsterdam
As you can see in the Showroom Kitchen, we added the option to make installer EXE files. Kitchen operators need 'Programme A' as well as WinRAR and do a little work because we cannot distribute Programme A. The instructions are in the readme file in the How-would-you-like-your-ROM dir in the data tree.

max me up

Jul 15, 2003
Ireland
I must say I am very impressed with the skills and knowledge of Jeff and the xda-developers on this forum.

However I have a problem that applies to ALL PPC 2003/ WME2003 ROMs and that is I cannot recieve sms messages! Sending them is fine, and making/recieving phone calls is good also but I cannot recieve the messages!! Surely if there was something wrong with the radio stack (4.21) then the xda wouldnt work at all??

I look forward to replys!! Has anybody else had these experiences??

Regards,
Max

Montoi132

Jun 17, 2003
When using ROM Kitchen with WM2003 the system wide clear type is now disabled...Does anyone have an idea on how to fix this bug???

BTW...Thank you XDA Dev and Jeff for everything!!!

Thanks in advance...

-Justin

Pekkle168

Jul 19, 2003
Hi,
When choosing Wm2003, can we also add the EVB support file that microsoft left out? :( I think those files are really big 1mb+ it would be a better idea to add them into the rom so we don't have to be bothered when adding programs that uses EVB support files like the chat program inside the developers kitchen. :)

ejdmoo

Jun 15, 2003
Michigan
To re-enable cleartype, just go to settings|system|screen. It's right there. No panic. ;)

Now, can you guys include AIM in this release? AIM is actually free from here, because T-Mobile has a deal with AOL to have IM on their devices, including the pocket pc.

Now, even though it's free, I can understand if you can't include it, but then is there a way we can upload a file ourselves and put it in? (I know, complicated :))

kalex

Jun 16, 2003
xda-developers,

I just saw that u have posted the self extracting option on the webiste.

I created the archive but i have a questions.

name the resulting self-extractor _rom.exe

should i save it as self-extractor _rom.exe file? did i understand correctly?

nd place in the _
directories under the ROM files.

I'm not sure where it goes under? can u guys provide a path?

one more thing:

When i build a rom and try to click on the button that says download now, i get a pop that says "unable to find rom file to download. i looked at the code and looks like script is looking for /download/download.php file, which is not present. i fixed it by changing the reference to a button to an actual link to download the rom. DO u have a fix for this?

thanks

alex

Peter Poelman

Retired Administrator
Jan 19, 2003
Amsterdam
kalex said:
should i save it as self-extractor _rom.exe file? did i understand correctly?
call it "_rom.exe".

I'm not sure where it goes under? can u guys provide a path?

.../data/00_Base Rom/3.17.03 ENG O2-Euro/_/_rom.exe

or likewise for the other ROM.

When i build a rom and try to click on the button that says download now, i get a pop that says "unable to find rom file to download. i looked at the code and looks like script is looking for /download/download.php file, which is not present. i fixed it by changing the reference to a button to an actual link to download the rom. DO u have a fix for this?

Oops, the download directory got excluded on a file copy here. I put the download.php where it belongs. It's nicer with the script because it turns off any and all caching to make sure you never get a cached copy.

Congratulations and thank you to all the chefs of this delicacy from xda-dev's kitchen :D

Couple kinks that might need a touch-up:

When using the WM 2003 ROM adding iChat or D9 as options, although the VB Runtime gets in the ROMCode, when you try to run them the system still prompts for the eVB Runtime downloiad. It appears that the eVB runtime download for WM2003 is different than the files the ROM loads for the apps :(

Also, for WM2003, on a US xda, the Bandswitch app returns error in its config screen and doesn't seem to allow any modifications.

You guys rock, and thank you all :)

kalex

Jun 16, 2003
Xda-developers. thanks for helping me fix the problems. everything now works perfectly and i get 3 outputs of roms.

Now its time to spicy things up on my end. :twisted:

Zviratko

Jan 24, 2003
Prague, CZ
mercede.s.cz
Bootloader?

I noticed those lines in the generation log:
this bootloader seems to be V5.22 2003-05-15 17:46:55
80000000 - 80040000 -- bootloader 0 files 1 modules

the bootloader is part of ROM? I still have my old 5.15 (I think :), why is it here?

pdazealot

Jun 28, 2003
Phoenix, AZ USA
Where is WModem?

I know it's not there, but in Jeff's ROMKitchen it says it is moved to a subfolder. Waaaaahhhh!!! OK, I'll just have to wait for an updated ROM, or quit my *****ing and crank up my own unix box. What to do? What to do?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Announcing: ROMkitchen

Special Edition ROMs are soooo yesterday.... We're proud to unveil our largest project yet: ROMkitchen. Now you too can modify your ROM to contain precisely what you need. Create your personal ROM, based on the ROM you like.

Wanna see: Have a look at our showroom kitchen to see what we mean. As you can see the showroom kitchen shows the PPC2002 based 3.17.03 ROM released by O2, as well as the 4.00.05 Microsoft WM2003 test ROM. Neither of these ROMs is really present though: you need to download the scripts, include your own ROM images, and run the scripts on your own unix machine. But once you do, you and your friends can create ROMs to your heart's content.

Why didn't we just include these files and make it all work? Because we're not licensed to distribute these ROMs, that's why.

So now what?
    • Play around to see if you like it.
    • download all the files visible when logging in using FTP to xda-developers.com username 'kitchen', password 'kitchen'.
    • Put them on your own unix machine, which should be capable of executing php scripts, and which should have a 'little' memory, disk and processing power left over. (We're afraid ROMkitchen wasn't built with resource-efficiency in mind.)
    • Add your own ROM files, see the readme files in the "data/00[...]/_/cfg" directories for details.

Notes:
    • If you set up your ROMkitchen, make sure you only use it for yourself, and with ROMs you legally own. We're not responsible for abuses.
    • If you use an ftp-client which can ignore files which are newer on your side, you can regularly check for updates and always have the newest kitchen.
    • ROMkitchen does not yet support outputting self-extracting binaries a-la Jeff's exe. We're working on that.
    • ROMkitchen currently supports English language ROMs only. We're working on this too.
    • The welcome exe is back in ROMs made with it: a little too much hassle to make our own. So you'll have to go through the silly tutorial every cold-boot.
    • XDAunlock is missing still. (It will be incorporated, but most people will be making 4.00.05 ROMs, and it doesn't work on that anyway...)

How does it work?
    The ROMkitchen consists of a number of php scripts that present the form with all the options to choose from, and which copy files ready for our 'mkrom' utility to process. If you take a look you can see the raw structure of the data that is presented and inserted into the ROM. We'll find some time soon to explain, but you can already learn quite a bit if you look at the files and directories carefully.
    xda-developers u are AWESOME

I'm going to try it as soon as i get home tonight. So all that is needed at first is a 2003 or 2002 image file?

thanks

alex
    A huge THANK YOU for all the "xda-developers" and Jeff Summers ; guys, you rock !!! a ROM of our own , .....a dream, and so easy to do :D

Best site on the web, sure ! :wink:
    FuNk said:
    I don't know which rom to use from http://lumpistefan.dyndns.org/and can't work out which one to use, it comes up saying my phone version is wrong.
    mine PW10A:001
    rom PW10A:007

:?: :?: :?:

Your can use normally either PCC 2002 or WM2003. I nover tried the Beta one. But not all application listed in the kitchen works of both OS

- Could you diiscribe exactly the process you use to upgrade ?
    - What message exactly do you get and at what stage ?

Tanguy