Dash Port Protector?

Search This thread

Jaw3000

Oct 29, 2006
Has anyone had any problems with the little plastic USB port protector on the bottom of the Dash? I've only had my Dash for a few days, charged it twice, and haven't really used it (waiting for a screen protector), and the plastic where the protector connects to the body is already beginning to split. It seems one or two more openings of the protector and it will break right off. It's nice to protect the chrome and all on the phone, but kind of gets in the way to have to open and close it every time you want to charge the phone. However, I don't like having something new I just purchased brake off so quickly and easily. Honestly, I've only opened and closed the thing about three times, so either my Dash is a dud, or by the looks of it's design, there's no way HTC could intend it to last more than a week or two for anyone because of a pretty obvious design flaw (too thin connector to withstand the opening and closing). Has anyone else noticed this?

I think I read somewhere that the Excalibur or the S620 doesn't come with the port protector (just the Dash). Is this correct? Also, has anyone unscrewed the back of their Dash yet and know whether the protector can be replaced with a new one easily if it cracks off? Anyway, nice idea, poor design! I love the phone though!

chaznet

Apr 26, 2006
Love the Dash -- hate it's connectivity ports. For headphones, you have to pull that protector loose to plug in the giant adaptor that lets you use regular headphones. While it's in there, the microphone is cut so you can't make or receive calls, or charge the phone while using headsets. They should've designed it so no protector was needed, or at the very least, incorporated a standard headphone jack which didn't require pulling back the protector. Right after I got the phone, I realized that protector was most likely something temporary, can't see it lasting long...

InnerGeek

Aug 25, 2006
Have had my S620 for a couple of weeks now and no issues with the protector other than it is just annoying. I will probably remove it as soon as I find a descent (or any) desktop cradle on the market.

A

ID64

Oct 1, 2003
I took my off right away :) Since I am using it with my custom made car holder :)

Jaw3000

Oct 29, 2006
Has anyone with the Dsh noticed the thin plastic piece that connects the protector to the phone body beginning to split? I noticed mine splitting on both sides, which leads me to believe it will split right through and brake off anytime now. And like I said, I've only opened and closed it about 3-4 times.

ID64: How did you take yours off? Did you just cut it?

.PoNeH

Oct 30, 2006
Orlando
Google Pixel 6 Pro
The bottom of mine seems to be split, but I think it comes like to make it a little looser and easier to open. I wouldn't be too worried about it. If anything, they'll send you a new one since it should be covered in the warranty.

Jaw3000

Oct 29, 2006
The bottom of mine seems to be split, but I think it comes like to make it a little looser and easier to open. I wouldn't be too worried about it. If anything, they'll send you a new one since it should be covered in the warranty.

Really? Hmm, maybe the split was intentionally done by HTC and my Dash is not breaking after all. Has anyone else noticed if your Dash/Excalibur has this split?

Last edited:

ID64

Oct 1, 2003
Has anyone with the Dsh noticed the thin plastic piece that connects the protector to the phone body beginning to split? I noticed mine splitting on both sides, which leads me to believe it will split right through and brake off anytime now. And like I said, I've only opened and closed it about 3-4 times.

ID64: How did you take yours off? Did you just cut it?

Brute physical force :) Just pull out