VoipCall 0.2.1 PDA + SmartPhone (31-05-2008)

Search This thread

Rhapsody

Jan 7, 2007
Amersfoort
Development of VoipCall has been stopped.

VoipCall 0.2.1
In the VoipSMS thread people started asking for a similar program for calling. So here it is :)

It's a first trial. If you've got some suggestions; let me know.

Requirements
You need the .NET Compact Framework 2.0 to run VoipCall.

Instructions
In order to use VoipCall, it's important to configure it first.

Go to options and set the following values on the first tab (Application Settings)
Pause sign: p (lowercase, this is default, however unlikely your phone might have a different sign)
Default country code: this is a digit code which will be used when no country code is set.. For The Netherlands it's 0031. For Germany 0049 etc.

Use '#' Sign: set to true.This will add an '#' sign to the end of the number to call. This is needed by VoipBuster.

Accounts (second tab)
Add a new account by tap and hold on the list of accounts. Enter a friendly name and the number.
The number can be retrieved over here: https://myaccount.voipbuster.com/clx/accessnumbers.php?form=profile
(Login first and then go to : 'Make VOIP calls from your fixed/mobile phone)
Select your country and a city. The number displayed must be filled in on the VoipCall settings)

Done.
Now you can use VoipCall ;-)
Just select a contact or type a number in the textbox at the top. and press the call button.
Have fun!

Versions
There are two versions available;
- For PDA/PocketPC
- For SmartPhones

The SmartPhone version has some limitations. It does not support favorites and currently only 1 account. Hopefully I can change this soon.

PDA
Changelog
Version 0.2.1 (31-05-2008)
- Parenthesis in numbers will be removed in order to make calls.

Version 0.2 (22-05-2008)
- Move favorite down/up in contextmenu on favorites
- Delete all favorites
- Order favorites fixed
- Phonepad will be visible during call

Attachments

• Screenshot_2.png
    Screenshot_2.png
    14.6 KB · Views: 2,042
  • Screenshot_1.png
    Screenshot_1.png
    16.4 KB · Views: 1,737
  • Screenshot_3.png
    Screenshot_3.png
    15.1 KB · Views: 1,521
  • Screenshot_4.png
    Screenshot_4.png
    14 KB · Views: 1,344
  • VoipCall_SP.CAB
    86.6 KB · Views: 706
  • VoipCall_PDA.CAB
    120.9 KB · Views: 1,206
Last edited:

gilbnx

Dec 16, 2005
First attempt...

Hi Mathieu,
Thanks for the app! I tried it but I have few comments:

1. After configuring the app and using a country code where I'm at right now (France) it looks like the app tried to call to my own number...?

2. I saw that VoIPbuster actually has a Java app where you enter your own number and the other party's number and when you click "call" it dials back to you and then connects you to the other party. Can your app use the same method?

The reason I'm asking for (2) is because at least for me, I travel allot and I would like to redirect my call to either a local landline or other mobile phone which is different from the one I registered; doing so will be very useful...

I noticed that the app (also the XP app) using UDP to communicate with VoipBuster so I'm not sure if this is an open interface that they publish or not but it will be very useful!

Again, Thanks allot for the efforts!! Let me know if I did anything wrong and why the app initiated a dial to my own number after selecting someone from my contacts to call to...

Gil.

Rhapsody

Jan 7, 2007
Amersfoort
Hey,

Some quick answers.

1. Did you enter the correct number for the account? It must not be your number, but the service number from VoipBuster.
For France it's: 0170909535

2. I've to take a look at that app. I'm aware of its existance. Unfortunately VoipBuster is not giving away a lot of information. :) But I'll take a look at it.
Another option is to configure multiple accounts. You can switch accounts at the bottom of the main screen.

gilbnx

Dec 16, 2005
Ok, now it's clear :)
So I will have to enter the local access #. I will try that tomorrow morning...

Let me know if you have more information about phone-to-phone using two numbers (my own number and the number I want to call to) it has lots of benefits when one is abroad and using a pre-paid SIM card... if VoIPbuster will call me instead of me calling out - I will not be charged locally for the incoming call. I will only have to pay VoIPbuster charges which is much cheaper...

Thanks!

Gil.

Sushikidd

Mar 2, 2007
Rotterdam
hi Rhapsody, that was quick! :) didnt expect it so fast.. great idea and it looks like another very nice app...

ive been having some trouble with my voip calling from the internal wm6 possibility, so i cant wait to try this one :)

Rhapsody

Jan 7, 2007
Amersfoort
The VoipBuster rates for calling to your mobile number and the number you wish to call apply (plus a callsetup fee of 5ct). Costs for the calls will be settled via your VoipBuster account, so make sure you have enough credit.

Example: You are in the USA and wish to call a landline in the UK. You pay a callsetup of 5ct plus a rate of 18Ct/Min + 1Ct/Min = 19Ct/Min
It seems like you also pay for VoipBuster calling you.

Rhapsody

Jan 7, 2007
Amersfoort
I've uploaded a SmartPhone version. :)

Unfortunately I was unable to add favorites functionality as well as multiple accounts. Hopefully I can add this soon.

gilbnx

Dec 16, 2005
Rhapsody,
I've sent you an email with some additional information I've found for better automation of betamax services.

Take a look, let me know if some of these functions can be part of your client, it will be REALLY COOL if it can be implemented and make your program even more complete :)

Gil.

Rhapsody

Jan 7, 2007
Amersfoort
Thanks!

In the meantime I was also searching for some more information but without success...

I'm gonna check my mail now :)

DaMilky

Oct 20, 2007
what about?

what about freecall.com? can I use this with account in freecall.com? imho freecall much better than voipbuster. they offer more countries to call for free, and free sms as well.

Rhapsody

Jan 7, 2007
Amersfoort
what about freecall.com? can I use this with account in freecall.com? imho freecall much better than voipbuster. they offer more countries to call for free, and free sms as well.
FreeCall.com seems to be another Betamax client, so the answer is yes; you can use this app for it.

In fact; the required settings are identical to VoipBuster. (http://www.freecall.com/en/geo.html)

tipmix

Apr 6, 2008
VoipCall installation

Hi Rhapsody,

I use "VoipSMS". It's great, thank you for it.

I' ve tried to install "VoipCall", as well. Unfortunately, I can't select any provider nor can I define a new one because the "Account" tab is unaccessible, it is grey. Is it normal? My gadget is an Asus m530w smartphone with WM6 Standard OS.

I use "fring" with "Poivy" settings. It works fine. I' d like to use "VoipCall" with "Voxalot". Could you advise me the required parameters for selecting Voxalot, please?

Best regards,
tipmix

Rhapsody

Jan 7, 2007
Amersfoort
I am using Gizmo for my voip. can i configure it on voipcall 0.1
thanks
I cannot find anything about Gizmo on this issue on their website.

The only thing you need (for now) is a service number to call. This service number is a computer where you can enter the number you want to dial through the voip provider.
Gizmo is not a Betamax client so I think it's not possible.

Further I'm waiting and hoping for some help from VoipBuster itself. I've dropped a question at my contact at VoipBuster about if it would be possible to implement calling like on their website (that the service calls you and the recipient).

Rhapsody

Jan 7, 2007
Amersfoort
Hi Rhapsody,

I use "VoipSMS". It's great, thank you for it.

I' ve tried to install "VoipCall", as well. Unfortunately, I can't select any provider nor can I define a new one because the "Account" tab is unaccessible, it is grey. Is it normal? My gadget is an Asus m530w smartphone with WM6 Standard OS.

I use "fring" with "Poivy" settings. It works fine. I' d like to use "VoipCall" with "Voxalot". Could you advise me the required parameters for selecting Voxalot, please?

Best regards,
tipmix
I don't know Voxalot. (Seems like there are thousands of Voip Providers)

The only thing you need to get it to work is a service number.
I'm not sure but you could try a number from this list: http://www.sipbroker.com/sipbroker/action/pstnNumbers

I'll try to look at the account issue asap. Thanks for reporting.

agentmikeyd

Dec 2, 2007
I am confused by the overall VOIP concept??

Is it truly free, or do I still have to have Skype or a similar account?
What other software must be loaded for your progiie to work?

Thanks so much!

superflysocal

Jul 31, 2007
pardon my ignorance, but I am not sure what this program is for. If you are calling a service number or if the service is calling your phone, aren't you charged airtime on your phone anyways? Or is this really a way to get international calls cheap or free using standard local airtime?