[Keep it Civil]Tegra3 & Other Tablet Soc discussions/spec comparisons. Tablet ONLY!

Search This thread

demandarin

Apr 7, 2010
Alexandria, Va
[Keep it Civil]Tegra3 & Other Tablet Soc discussions/spec comparisons. Tablet ONLY!

Out of all the new chips coming out, Tegra3 seen as the best.

www.androidauthority.com/qualcomm-s4-vs-nvidia-kal-el-vs-ti-omap-4470-vs-samsung-exynos-4212-26636/

[UPDATE] 4/20/2012

This week Nvidia has announced its newer Tegra3+ chips to be released that will have Icera voice over LTE radios in them. They will be called T3+. This will split off into the Wayne and Gray variants by Q3. The grey is the one THST will have the LTE radio. This makes nvidia the likely candidate and replacement for all tablets and mobile phones this year That was going to use Qualcomm S4 Snapdragon chip. Also once Q4 & Q1 of 2013 arrives, Tegra4 will be rolling out ;)

QUALCOMM just officially announced it won't be able to make demand this year for the S4 chip due to manufacturing processes involving the 28nm S4 chip. So most tablets and phones that were originally going to use that chip will have to use a a different one. This is were Nvidia will likely step in and take over. I posted the link to that qualcomm news in the infinity pad thread. Its all over the major tech sites now though, so take a look if you doubt that news.

This is the link to the new Tegra3 aka T3+ that will arrive shortly.
http://www.slashgear.com/nvidia-teg...feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+slashgear+(SlashGear)

MORE NEWS. Nvidia plots mobile SoC GPU plot and easily expect to surpass Xbox360 performance by 2013-2014
http://www.anandtech.com/show/5762/...c-gpu-performance-surpassing-xbox-360-by-2014

DISCLAIMER: This is for people who like Asus/Nvidia/Tegra3 or beyond. Not for the haters of any of those to try to bash them. IF you want to debate, ok but act civil in doing so. Name calling and such isn't being civil and person or persons will be dealt with accordingly. Don't have time for childish back & forth nonsense.

Last edited:

tdrussell

Sep 13, 2010
Dallas

www.androidauthority.com/qualcomm-s4-vs-nvidia-kal-el-vs-ti-omap-4470-vs-samsung-exynos-4212-26636/

Sent from my MB860 using XDA App

I don't know, i think it may be a wash. Tegra3 seems like a more intelligent architecture, and nV seems to have nailed the implementation.

It's hard to argue the power usage of 28nm, but for some reason i don't see any roadmapped 28nm quad-cores out there, so it looks like T3 may edge out the high-clocked 28nm chips through this summer. performance/watt definitely belongs to T3 for the time being.

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington

demandarin

Apr 7, 2010
Alexandria, Va
The darker side of Teg 3:

http://semiaccurate.com/2011/11/09/tegra-3-missed-performance-goals-by-wide-margins/

The Exynos comparison wasn't even to Samsung's newest chip which is going to launch in the next Tab.

http://www.bgr.com/2011/11/30/samsung-announces-dual-core-exynos-5250-soc-clocked-at-2ghz/

The Teg 3 may be the greatest thing known to silicon but it's still early. In everything but gaming, especially video playback, Teg 2 was the least impressive of the dual-cores.

Tegra2 still won the whats new gadget award from popular science magazine, just recently. Which is their top honor. I made a thread on it. Plus tegra2 was the 1st. Dual core. It paved the way for other newer dual cores. It basically brought Android to a whole nother level.
I will read your links shortly on the Darkside of things ;-)

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
Tegra2 still won the whats new gadget award from popular science magazine, just recently. Which is their top honor. I made a thread on it. Plus tegra2 was the 1st. Dual core. It paved the way for other newer dual cores. It basically brought Android to a whole nother level.
I will read your links shortly on the Darkside of things ;-)

Popular Mechanics? Really? I totally agree Nvidia deserves props for being able to get both the first dual-cores and quad-cores to market. But first doesn't always mean best. And sometimes it just makes you a target. Technology's a marathon, not a sprint.

Here's a pretty detailed review of Exynos in the SGS2. It talks about differences between the various SoC designs.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4686/samsung-galaxy-s-2-international-review-the-best-redefined/14

tdrussell

Sep 13, 2010
Dallas
Popular Mechanics? Really? I totally agree Nvidia deserves props for being able to get both the first dual-cores and quad-cores to market. But first doesn't always mean best. And sometimes it just makes you a target. Technology's a marathon, not a sprint.

Here's a pretty detailed review of Exynos in the SGS2. It talks about differences between the various SoC designs.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4686/samsung-galaxy-s-2-international-review-the-best-redefined/14

Yeah i was like "huh?" on the popular science article. T2 certainly paved the way, but exynos blows it out of the water. however it was also much later to the game...

Tegra2 just doesn't seem that well received overall, but it was the basis for some serious market growth in android tablets.

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
Yeah i was like "huh?" on the popular science article. T2 certainly paved the way, but exynos blows it out of the water. however it was also much later to the game...

Tegra2 just doesn't seem that well received overall, but it was the basis for some serious market growth in android tablets.

The fact that until 3.2 it was the only SoC that HC ran on certainly didn't hurt Nvidia's sales.

demandarin

Apr 7, 2010
Alexandria, Va
The darker side of Teg 3:

http://semiaccurate.com/2011/11/09/tegra-3-missed-performance-goals-by-wide-margins/

The Exynos comparison wasn't even to Samsung's newest chip which is going to launch in the next Tab.

http://www.bgr.com/2011/11/30/samsung-announces-dual-core-exynos-5250-soc-clocked-at-2ghz/

The Teg 3 may be the greatest thing known to silicon but it's still early. In everything but gaming, especially video playback, Teg 2 was the least impressive of the dual-cores.

Interesting info on the Semiaccurate link BUT he is clearly biased against Nvidia. The reason is very silly also. Keep reading into the comments. All of his info is not correct/accurate..hence semi accurate..lmao his comparisons are way off as his main comparison to tegra3 is some future chip with smaller die. That chip he compares won't be here for a long time. By then the newer Nvdia chips will be out. Plus when he did this article it was on an uncompleted tegra3. Before they added the 5th core.

Do I believe Nvidia might've missed original targets n such? Sure..happens all the time. Still doesn't deny it's the best out now. That article is clearly biased though. Seems like all they trying to do is slam Nvidia. Even in comments section someone links a final Anandtech review of chip basically dismissing what the guy said from semi accurate. Article makes it seem like Tegra3 is a complete failure which we all know it's not. If it was, it wouldn't have been praised so much by basically all major reviewers n held as the most powerful tablet today.

Don't even let me get started on Nvidia's roadmap for future chipsets. Forget tegra3(kal el), kal el+, and Wayne chips. I'm jumping straight to STARKS chipset. Nothing will come close or even touch it. It'll be the equivalent to or more powerful than a PC class quad core CPU/GPU chipset over clocked to 3GHz per core. Basically 100% more powerful than Tegra2. I linked the article a couple weeks back or so.

Like my original link said though, Samsung will be the one to not be taken lightly also. Yes, this is a marathon of technology but I believe Nvidia is here for the long haul and will more than meet Everyones expectations.

nook-color

Mar 31, 2011
There should be alot of Tegra 3 devices in 2012. Smart Phones and Tablets.

Per the CEO in their Nov 10th Earnings Report Q & A

I'm more confident in the Tegra 3 at this point than I was in the Tegra 2 at this point a year ago. We have alot more design wins. We're better at it. We have alot more engineers. We are engaging with alot more customers...

... Tegra 3, is pretty unambiguous. I feel more confident today than I did on the Tegra 2 cycle. ...

Reactions: demandarin

demandarin

Apr 7, 2010
Alexandria, Va
NVIDIA has done it again. They announce the imminent release of new Tegra3 chip called the T3+ that will have Wayne & Grey variants. NVIDIA SUPER HERO CHIPS. GREY will have the new Nvdia Icera LTE radio in it. Likely replacement for qualcomm s4(due to them being unable to meet demand this year) chip. Check the OP for the updated info and link.

Rise from the dead, old thread. Nvidia strikes again!

guitar1969

Feb 1, 2012
Any chance the Asus Infinity would get it as a last minute improvement. Considering Asus is charging a premium for that tablet, I would expect it to have the latest and greatest at launch. If not, will make you wonder if you should just pass on it and look for another tablet. I know we are always chasing the technology, but it seems the only way these manufacturers can sell top of the line is to pack the latest and greatest at time of launch.

i am still scratching my head what to get instead of the prime as the top of the line tablet.

hairdewx

Feb 28, 2009
[UPDATE] 4/20/2012

This week Nvidia has announced its newer Tegra3+ chips to be released that will have Icera voice over LTE radios in them. They will be called T3+. This will split off into the Wayne and Gray variants by Q3. The grey is the one THST will have the LTE radio. This makes nvidia the likely candidate and replacement for all tablets and mobile phones this year That was going to use Qualcomm S4 Snapdragon chip. Also once Q4 & Q1 of 2013 arrives, Tegra4 will be rolling out ;)

QUALCOMM just officially announced it won't be able to make demand this year for the S4 chip due to manufacturing processes involving the 28nm S4 chip. So most tablets and phones that were originally going to use that chip will have to use a a different one. This is were Nvidia will likely step in and take over.
I posted the link to THST qualcomm news in the infinity pad thread. Its all over the major tech sites now though, so take a look if you doubt that news.

Not really true, as Nvidia is facing the same supply constraints as well, since they both use the same supply manufacturers. (such as TSMC)

And it's not like suddenly there will be no supply of S4 chips. Just not enough to meet the high demand from Apple. The supply constraints will most likely be solved by the end of this year making it temporary at best.

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
Nvidia has done what again, exactly?

Created yet another PowerPoint slide describing a wonderous future. I'd like to see less PPT slides and more actual evidence of some of what their describing being far along in the development process. Their keep talking about chips being released this year (it's already April) but there haven't been any comments from semi-accurate or AnandTech with detail or any test mules released for review. You'd expect both if a chip was being released in a few months. As they say, talk is cheap.

walie

May 30, 2007
Despite launching last year, the fact that the total number of tegra3 devices currently available can be counted on one hand is extremely telling.

Besides, tegra isn't even the fastest gpu in the mobile market. I believe the powervr series is.

Last edited:

demandarin

Apr 7, 2010
Alexandria, Va
This guy dont know what he talkiing about..lmfao

Despite launching last year, the fact that the total number of tegra3 devices can be counted on one hand is extremely telling.

Besides, tegra isn't even the fastest gpu in the mobile market. I believe the powervr series is.

GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT BEFORE YOU COME TALKIING. IM TEGRA3 KING AROUND HERE.
HTTP://pdadb.net/index.php?m=search&quick=1

TABLETS&PHONES
1) transformer prime-dec. 2011 t egra3 ap30h & t20
2)htc one x s270e(htc supreme)-april 2012 tegra3 ap33H
3)transformer 300-APRIL/MAY 2012 TEGRA3 T20
4)transformer infinity pad- may/june 2012 tegra3 T33
5)Acer 510-APRIL 2012 TEGRA3 AP30H
6)htc one xt(htc endeavor)-may 2012 tegra3 ap33h
7) Toshiba Excite 7 T AT270 / Excite 7.7 AT275- june 2012 tegra3 t33
8) Toshiba Excite 13 T AT330 / Excite 13.3 AT335- june 2012 tegra3 T33
9) Toshiba Excite 10 T AT300 / Excite 10.1 AT305- may 2012 tegra3 T33
10) ZTE T98- july 2012 tegra3 T30S
11) ZTE PF100-july 2012 tegra3 T30S
12)ZTE ERA- JULY 2012 tegra3 AP30H
13)HTC QUATTRO- MAY 2012 TEGRA3 AP30H
14) LG P880 Optimus 4X HD (LG X3)- JUNE 2012 AP30H
15) Acer Iconia Tab A700- APRIL 2012 TEGRA3 AP30H
16) Fujitsu Stylistic M532- MARCH/APRIL 2012 TEGRA3 AP30H
17)GOOGLE NEXUS TABLET MADE BY ASUS- SUMMER 2012 TEGRA3

P.S. TEGRA3 IS THE MOST POWERFUL ANDROID TABLET CHIP OUT NOW AND HAS BEEN SIMCE DECEMBER. MOST POWERFUL CPU & GPU

TEGRA3 IS THE TALK OF THE TOWN. YOU BETTER ACT LIKE YOU KNOW.

Show me another chip maker that will have this many tablets and some phones with a comparable powerful chip by july at the latest. its not samsung, its not qualcomm(THEY crippled and cant even meet s4 demand till 2013..lol), its not t.i. LIKE I SAID BEFORE, TABLET MARKET WILL BE SATURATED WITH TEGRA3

2012 IS THE YEAR OF TEGRA3

CLASS IS OVER. YOU'VE BEEN SCHOOLED ;)

Last edited:

walie

May 30, 2007
GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT BEFORE YOU COME TALKIING. IM TEGRA3 KING AROUND HERE.
HTTP://pdadb.net/index.php?m=search&quick=1

TABLETS&PHONES
1) transformer prime-dec. 2011 t egra3 ap30h & t20
2)htc one x s270e(htc supreme)-april 2012 tegra3 ap33H
3)transformer 300-APRIL/MAY 2012 TEGRA3 T20
4)transformer infinity pad- may/june 2012 tegra3 T33
5)Acer 510-APRIL 2012 TEGRA3 AP30H
6)htc one xt(htc endeavor)-may 2012 tegra3 ap33h
7) Toshiba Excite 7 T AT270 / Excite 7.7 AT275- june 2012 tegra3 t33
8) Toshiba Excite 13 T AT330 / Excite 13.3 AT335- june 2012 tegra3 T33
9) Toshiba Excite 10 T AT300 / Excite 10.1 AT305- may 2012 tegra3 T33
10) ZTE T98- july 2012 tegra3 T30S
11) ZTE PF100-july 2012 tegra3 T30S
12)ZTE ERA- JULY 2012 tegra3 AP30H
13)HTC QUATTRO- MAY 2012 TEGRA3 AP30H
14) LG P880 Optimus 4X HD (LG X3)- JUNE 2012 AP30H
15) Acer Iconia Tab A700- APRIL 2012 TEGRA3 AP30H
16) Fujitsu Stylistic M532- MARCH/APRIL 2012 TEGRA3 AP30H
17)GOOGLE NEXUS TABLET MADE BY ASUS- SUMMER 2012 TEGRA3

P.S. TEGRA3 IS THE MOST POWERFUL ANDROID TABLET CHIP OUT NOW AND HAS BEEN SIMCE DECEMBER. MOST POWERFUL CPU & GPU

TEGRA3 IS THE TALK OF THE TOWN. YOU BETTER ACT LIKE YOU KNOW.

Show me another chip maker that will have this many tablets and some phones with a comparable powerful chip by july at the latest. its not samsung, its not qualcomm(THEY crippled and cant even meet s4 demand till 2013..lol), its not t.i. LIKE I SAID BEFORE, TABLET MARKET WILL BE SATURATED WITH TEGRA3

2012 IS THE YEAR OF TEGRA3

CLASS IS OVER. YOU'VE BEEN SCHOOLED ;)

I said currently available, not in july, not in summer, none of the bolded products above are available for purchase from places like amazon or brick and mortar stores, some haven't even been officially announced yet (ie, the nexus tablet)

you need to calm down, you've regressed to a ranting, raving lunatic around here

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

[UPDATE] 4/20/2012

QUALCOMM just officially announced it won't be able to make demand this year for the S4 chip due to manufacturing processes involving the 28nm S4 chip. So most tablets and phones that were originally going to use that chip will have to use a a different one. This is were Nvidia will likely step in and take over. I posted the link to that qualcomm news in the infinity pad thread. Its all over the major tech sites now though, so take a look if you doubt that news.

This is the link to the new Tegra3 aka T3+ that will arrive shortly.
    http://www.slashgear.com/nvidia-teg...feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+slashgear+(SlashGear)

MORE NEWS. Nvidia plots mobile SoC GPU plot and easily expect to surpass Xbox360 performance by 2013-2014
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/5762/...c-gpu-performance-surpassing-xbox-360-by-2014

DISCLAIMER: This is for people who like Asus/Nvidia/Tegra3 or beyond. Not for the haters of any of those to try to bash them. IF you want to debate, ok but act civil in doing so. Name calling and such isn't being civil and person or persons will be dealt with accordingly. Don't have time for childish back & forth nonsense.
    There should be alot of Tegra 3 devices in 2012. Smart Phones and Tablets.

Per the CEO in their Nov 10th Earnings Report Q & A

I'm more confident in the Tegra 3 at this point than I was in the Tegra 2 at this point a year ago. We have alot more design wins. We're better at it. We have alot more engineers. We are engaging with alot more customers...

... Tegra 3, is pretty unambiguous. I feel more confident today than I did on the Tegra 2 cycle. ...
    I suppose I'll pop in with my unresearched uneducated garbage :D

I think it's easy to agree that Teg3 in phones is certainly shaping up badly and isn't going to take off. As mentioned, we'll see what happens with the Teg3+; certainly it would do better if they did reduce it to 32. But it still isn't going to pull as much weight as whatever Apple/Samsung are using in the phone market and also as mentioned, that is going to be the largest revenue and sales numbers for SoC's. Teg3 IMO is indeed king of the tablet market, for both power and battery consumption (disregarding the reader-tablets), the only thing really holding it back is the decision to couple it with terribly slow internal flash memory and not include the use of better RAM. Why they're putting the good RAM in the more discount tablet I'll never know.

Anything at all you buy is going to be obsolete in sixth months regardless, Teg3 took it a bit further, but I'm pretty hopeful for the next couple of generations of the Tegra line of SoC's.

For the time being this is still just fine, and not really rivaled by anything aside from other iterations from the same manufacturer. The Yoga from Lenovo I suppose, but it just seems silly to me and Lenovo lost my trust long ago. Decent company and usually decent products to a degree though, but it just feels like when I buy Lenovo, I buy more often than what is needed elsewhere (meaning replacing internal components or calling it a good enough time to upgrade). Of course I'm only referring to those tablets which will feature full keyboards, as though it's enough of the market.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using XDA Premium HD via my tethered HTC Vision
    this is my thread for Nvidia/Tegra3 news. No one asked all these other people to come in and basically bash the thread talking about how its a failure or this or that.

I am glad that you started this very informative and interesting thread, Kid.
    But I do not understand why, all of a sudden, the thread has to be a "yes men".
    You should know better that you will not get 100% of approval on your position regarding Prime and Tegra3.
    You should accept opposing points of view which are the engine for advancements.

And I also noticed that in a lot of threads that you did not start you jump into to bring your opinion. It is well accepted in general but invasive also because you want to be everywhere.

All members know, by now, that you are the best marketing agent for the Prime and its Tegra. Some disagree and the fact that you start a thread rightfully gives them the right to express their opinion. You do not like it, move on!!!!!!!!!!!!1

opinions are always welcomed along with opposing positions. The difference is when some come in ranting this opposing opinion with name calling, labels, or this or that, its unneccessary and crosses the line. I know how to keep my cool and not let it get to serious. Its some others who cant seem to keep cool about it.

As with any debate, they will be two sides or even more. both will state their piece. then both will go back in forth with arguments to validate their claim. All this is is a never ending debate. which is fine with me as long as people can act civil with a level of maturity that doesn't cross the line of normal debating. that's all there is to it. nothing more, nothing less. people don't have to be yes men, but they cant think that if they come with some opposing statement or argument that one wont be directed right back at them. Come on now. This debate hasn't reached a point to where one side has nothing more to say and accept the loss. If that time comes and its very obvious, then what can i say. Until then, the debate rages on. I would love to change the title to a more debatable topic of what chips you think are better and have facts or info to back up the claim(not sales figures Barry..lol). But the way people get heated lately, its a long shot.
    I just noticed what's underneath my avatar now...

Congratulations! You've helped quite a few people so well deserved. To those joining the party late, demandarin and I enjoy the debate. As forums go, I consider him a friend. Don't let our equal (and usually opposite) enthusiasm make you think we're flaming or disrespecting each other. He even made a guest appearance in the One X forum. ;)