Magnetic car mount QI charging

Search This thread

buljo

Dec 14, 2008
Norway
www.dsolutions.no
One thing i really found super convenient was the magnetic QI charger i had in both my car and my boat with the nexus 5.
just slap that phone on there, and it would stay put and charge at the same time..

have anybody found a way to get similar QI charging and mount for the G3? after the nexus 5 I cant live without wireless charging.

I have some neodynem magnets laying around, but i dont think the G3 would be secure enough like the nexus 5 was, maybe it would be possible to modify the rear cover with some metal plates or similar?..

Nexus 5 Magnetic QI mount http://xdaforums.com/google-nexus-5/accessories/nexus-5-universal-magnetic-qi-car-mount-t2593798
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKBqhsXZ8QE

Last edited:

flaring afro

Jul 11, 2011
Unfortunately, they are all non-magnetic.

This one has magnetic options for the devices that do not have a smooth back. I expect it to influence a market full of cheaper copies soon.

I wish the mount's usb input were at the base, or at least on the back of the holder. That would make the cable stand out less. I feel like it should be in the base for that kind of money.

Edit: This one is slightly cheaper and has a lot more features. It hasn't been released yet but might be by the time people in the US get their phones.

Edit 2: Never mind, it doesn't look like that one is going to launch. Idk why some things like the NFC feature haven't been used by another company - it can't be that difficult or expensive.

Last edited:
I wish the mount's usb input were at the base, or at least on the back of the holder. That would make the cable stand out less. I feel like it should be in the base for that kind of money.

Edit: This one is slightly cheaper and has a lot more features. It hasn't been released yet but might be by the time people in the US get their phones.

Edit 2: Never mind, it doesn't look like that one is going to launch. Idk why some things like the NFC feature haven't been used by another company - it can't be that difficult or expensive.

Its a pity it failed to meet it's kickstarter goal. he was looking for $150k though, sounds a lot for a kickstarter of that scale.

Meanwhile, I ordered one of these. I use a non QI version now and I like it, it's discrete, and doesn't really look like a mount with nothing attached. Looks like a lot of manufacturers are going for these 'microsuction' materials. Less problems than magnets.

piepie22

Jun 22, 2007
I have no problem using this one with my Nexus 5 for a long time.
- http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z09.2.9.326.r5yObR&id=19923741183&_u=45ljepd332c

The G3 though, I can't find good Hot Zone for charging.
Will try again on this weekend's drive.

Extra note from my search, do translate to English
- http://leader1935.tistory.com/509
It seems even the official charger WCD-100 still show the annoying Hot Zone message even if the phone is well placed.
Seems like i have to rid of it with G3 Tweak....

Last edited:

flaring afro

Jul 11, 2011
Its a pity it failed to meet it's kickstarter goal. he was looking for $150k though, sounds a lot for a kickstarter of that scale.

Meanwhile, I ordered one of these. I use a non QI version now and I like it, it's discrete, and doesn't really look like a mount with nothing attached. Looks like a lot of manufacturers are going for these 'microsuction' materials. Less problems than magnets.

I think part of his failure may have been too many initial features with too high a cost. The LEDs with a sensor could have been dropped. I can even see that going wrong in a car where if you don't bother to put your phone there, reaching over to the radio or the person beside you would make it light up. Also color choices must raise the cost some but just black for the start up would have been fine.

What's wrong with magnets? I always figured the suction ones might have trouble if cold, etc. I've got the InfiniApps mount and it works well, just doesn't have wireless charging. But my Note 2 is flat on the back, and the back cover is removable unlike a lot of phones these days. Not sure if the metal ones even are a metal that magnets attract.

I think part of his failure may have been too many initial features with too high a cost. The LEDs with a sensor could have been dropped. I can even see that going wrong in a car where if you don't bother to put your phone there, reaching over to the radio or the person beside you would make it light up. Also color choices must raise the cost some but just black for the start up would have been fine.

What's wrong with magnets? I always figured the suction ones might have trouble if cold, etc. I've got the InfiniApps mount and it works well, just doesn't have wireless charging. But my Note 2 is flat on the back, and the back cover is removable unlike a lot of phones these days. Not sure if the metal ones even are a metal that magnets attract.

I prototyped one for my old Note 3, and to get enough magnetic force to hold it in place, the compass/magnometer were useless and it completely screwed up useage of the sPen.

I fitted 4 12mm dia x 0.3mm thick disc magnets in the back cover to correlate with 4 countersunk magnets fixed around the perimeter of the round QI charger. this allowed me to mount it vertically and horizontally. it worked great apart from the above exceptions, and was completely hidden on the phone.

The microsuction one I have has more trouble when warm than cold, and only then when it has gained a bit of pocket fluff. Works great if you clean it regularly.

flaring afro

Jul 11, 2011
I prototyped one for my old Note 3, and to get enough magnetic force to hold it in place, the compass/magnometer were useless and it completely screwed up useage of the sPen.

I fitted 4 12mm dia x 0.3mm thick disc magnets in the back cover to correlate with 4 countersunk magnets fixed around the perimeter of the round QI charger. this allowed me to mount it vertically and horizontally. it worked great apart from the above exceptions, and was completely hidden on the phone.

The microsuction one I have has more trouble when warm than cold, and only then when it has gained a bit of pocket fluff. Works great if you clean it regularly.

You had to put magnets in the phone? I only had to put in the thin piece of metal that InfiniApps provided for mine. I can mount it both portrait and landscape and it sticks right away. Do you have a cover on yours? Maybe it's just the type of backing it had.

The G3 may have problems with the magnet types due to it's curved back though.

You had to put magnets in the phone? I only had to put in the thin piece of metal that InfiniApps provided for mine. I can mount it both portrait and landscape and it sticks right away. Do you have a cover on yours? Maybe it's just the type of backing it had.

The G3 may have problems with the magnet types due to it's curved back though.

No cover or case. I didn't want any visible external signs so the magnets were fixed inside the original battery cover. a metal plate didn't work as there is not enough force to overcome the distance without increasing the size of the magnets around the charger. Having a magnet to magnet contact always feels better when it locates.

the back of the G3 is less curved than it looks: the middle third is almost flat. The QI coil appears to take up most of it though.

If the manufacturers could standardise(Yeah, I know) and put a ferromagnetic rail down either side of a device, it would be easy. The two rails could even be used as power rails, doing away with the need for wireless power transfer completely.

buljo

Dec 14, 2008
Norway
www.dsolutions.no
Was thinking about a metal plate inside the battery cover. But really thin magnets might be better. Would love to see someone give this a go.

Sent from my LG-D855 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Top Liked Posts