Microsoft Surface RT Videos (Reviews, Tips, Apps)

Search This thread

vgjfelix

Jan 13, 2012
In this video I show you that it's possible to zoom in and out of 'some' apps although it's not obvious to you if you don't know you can do it.

vgjfelix

Jan 13, 2012
In this video I show you how you can increase the speed of your browser (a little bit) and protect your tablet from harmful websites at the same time using tracking protection lists.

vgjfelix

Jan 13, 2012
Welcome to Volume 5 on my Nexus 7 'Basics' series. You'll find ten different hints, tips and tutorials in here about getting the best out of your device, the tips included in this video are:

@0:05 Prevent Auto Update
@1:04 Visually Organise Folders
@2:12 What's My Wallpaper?
@2:41 Save Power, Sacrifice Wifi
@3:44 How to Turn On/Off Auto Sync
@5:16 Bluetooth Basics
@7:30 Get a File Browser Application
@8:18 Where are my Downloads?
@9:59 Copy and Paste Basics
@11:47 Setting up a User Account

vgjfelix

Jan 13, 2012
Hey all. Been away for a few weeks because I've been putting together this

This is my full and honest review of the Microsoft Surface RT. The first and showcase Windows RT tablet computer that sees Microsoft propel itself into this new and rapidly emerging market.

My views and opinions come from three months of using the device. Of course no matter how long a video review is it can't cover everything so apologies if you think I've missed anything.

Like it or hate it, agree or disagree, share your thoughts in the comments.

I have decided at this point that I've completed my Surface RT journey so I am going to sell it. I will continue to do more videos until it is sold but I can't imagine that will take took long.

Thanks for watching and supporting my videos.

vgjfelix

vgjfelix

Jan 13, 2012
Here is volume two of my Surface RT Basics tips series. 10 tips in around 10 minutes.

@0:05 Mouse Basics
@1:50 Pin Basics
@3:13 Setting for Startscreen and Desktop
@4:21 Naming Tile Groups
@5:20 Lock Screen Notifications
@6:13 Touch Screen Right Click
@7:05 Simple Desktop Navigation
@8:12 Mult-Tasking Basics
@9:52 Swiping in and out
@11:20 Speed up and Protect Your Browsing

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi all,

I am starting a series of videos that will look at every aspect of the Surface RT tablet. I do reviews on different aspects of the device, basic tutorials to learn how to use the device and app reviews on the best, most useful and free apps.

I have previously done very successful videos on the Asus Transformer Prime (150 videos) and the Nexus 7 (100 videos) but I see this as being my biggest project to date since Windows 8 is such a radical departure from previous version that I'll be posting many videos as I learn new and interesting things. Here are a few videos just to give you a flavour of my work.

I am literally scratching the surface (every pun intended) of this device and will be kicking out a couple of videos everyday for a good few weeks. I'll be updating this thread regularly. I hope you find them useful, entertaining and informative.

Thanks in advance,

vgjfelix
    This one is a quick look at the lack of uniformity when changing settings. Why is the same option accessed by different methods.

So the Surface RT is seriously telling me that it won't support the resolution of my television so I can't watch movies on it? Very disgruntled! Help someone!

This is a quick look at two features of the internet explorer browser: Flip Ahead and Browser Favourites

Answer below

1. From your YouTube video, it looks like it stretches the square TV picture onto the monitor. Is this true? It's a pet peave of mine to see $1000's of "high resolution" new tech with better picture quality, blah blah blah and then we are all forced to watch videos and pictures with people's faces stretched giving us the impression that every show is an off-shoot of "The Biggest Loser". Is this how the HDMI out on the Surface shows pics, vids, etc?

It was definitely stretching the images because you could see on the table I had massive borders because of the 1024x768 resolution. However, on the TV which is 1360x768 it was stretching the image to fit (so probably by about 30%). I'm not that knowledgeable with monitors and resolutions to be honest; I've only just got it working for one thing. There probably will be some settings to fix this (maybe use a VGA cable, better TV than mine, quick registry edit hack) but for now I'm just glad I have it working. I will be doing more videos about this in the future when I find out more

2. Does the Surface recognize and work with ad-hoc networks? Specifically for WiFi tethering with a smart phone?

I think so yes. I am going to do a video on this soon

3. Does the Surface's IE notify smartphone networks when tethering to bring up the "You must pay $$$ for HotSpot" window? Or are there other options for browsing the internet with Windows RT?

Don't know to be honest. I would say very unlikely. It will probably treat it like any other wifi network. The key really is to limit the data usage at the source (i.e. the smartphone) so, for android, something like 3gwatchdog will watch how much data you are using.

Also be aware that I'm from the UK where I think data tariffs on phones seem to be difficult. We usually get a data allowance and we can use it however we want, tether or not.