[Q] Camera not working on any ROM, hboot, firmware, or newest RUU WORKS on old RUU

Search This thread

thethinkman

Aug 13, 2012
Okay I've been working on this for two days with no luck. I was on CM11 to begin with, on a nightly build when I noticed that the camera was no longer working along with some wifi issues and stuff, with occasional reboots.

I "downgraded" to the SNAPSHOT build. No luck, if not worse because now wifi didn't work at all.
Flashed stock T-mobile Sense 5 rom. Everything works except camera.

Used RUU for AT&T 1.44. EVERYTHING WORKS! However, I'm on AT&T 1.44 which is extremely old.
Installed CleanROM 7.0R2. Everything works except camera.
RUU'd to 1.44 again
Installed MIUI ROM from thread. Everything works except camera.

Updated firmware and hboot to 2.18 and retried all of the above steps with same results.
Downgraded hboot to 2.15, repeated above steps.
I am S-OFF and CID 1111111. I obviously relocked bootloader for RUU but unlocked to flash recovery.

Gave up on custom roms entirely and flashed RUU for AT&T 5.18 (android 4.2.2). THE CAMERA DOESN"T WORK ON THIS EITHER. I have tried changing kernels too. Is there something I'm missing or is the ONLY solution to return to the old ICS RUU?

thethinkman

Aug 13, 2012
Current information:

*** RELOCKED ***
EVITA PVT SHIP S-OFF RL
CID-111111111
HBOOT-2.18.0000
RADIO-1.35a.32.45.27
OpenDSP-v33.1.0.45.1128
eMMC-boot
Dec 3 2013, 17:10:01:-1

Running stock 5.18 RUU with stock recovery unrooted

Last edited:

Heisenberg

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 29, 2011
Knocking on your door
OnePlus 9 Pro
"I obviously relocked bootloader for RUU"

You don't need to relock your bootloader to run an RUU when you're s-off, just thought I'd clear that up. As for your camera issues, I'm really not sure. My fiance has a similar (kinda) issue with her Evita. It won't boot any ROM that includes any variation on the 3.4 kernel, whether it's via a ROM flash or an RUU. Sometimes Bluetooth works, sometimes it doesn't. WiFi never works. There seems to be no rhyme or reason, no logical cause at all. I'm sorry I can't really be of any help, other than to say that for a select few people these things just happen.

Sent from my Evita

Reactions: thethinkman

thethinkman

Aug 13, 2012

You don't need to relock your bootloader to run an RUU when you're s-off, just thought I'd clear that up. As for your camera issues, I'm really not sure. My fiance has a similar (kinda) issue with her Evita. It won't boot any ROM that includes any variation on the 3.4 kernel, whether it's via a ROM flash or an RUU. Sometimes Bluetooth works, sometimes it doesn't. WiFi never works. There seems to be no rhyme or reason, no logical cause at all. I'm sorry I can't really be of any help, other than to say that for a select few people these things just happen.

Sent from my Evita

Ah, interesting, I will forgo that step in the future :)

Well that's really unfortunate for her and I guess for me too. It is especially frustrating because I was on CM with 4.4 for a long time with no issues with the camera. I guess I'll start exploring different RUUs to flash until I find something that is passable.

If anybody has any ideas on what else I can do to have a better experience with the phone, please let me know.

EDIT:

I'm currently ]trying to get to RUU AT&T 3.18. The RUU is a zip file though, not an exe. So I'm not entirely sure how to run it. It doesn't just flash from fastboot, I heard I can only install OEMs from stock recovery. So I ran the RUU for 1.45. Now I'm on 1.45 and fully stock with stock recovery and everything. How do I install this zip file? Booting to stock recovery just gives me an icon with a triangle that turns red after a while, there are no visible options to flash things, and it isn't connected to adb or fastboot so it doesn't seem like I can push anything through USB while it is in this mode. SO...

EDIT 2

I figured out how to work stock recovery. Disregard last edit. I still am up for a better solution than running old stock roms :\

EDIT 3

I'm going to list RUUs that seem to run the camera properly, and those that don't.

CAMERA WORKING RUUs
1.44 AT&T

NOT WORKING
2.20 AT&T
3.18 AT&T
5.18 AT&T
Cyanogenmod
Sense Roms
MIUI
Any other random ROMS I've tried
I am trying 2.20 now. My goal is to find the exact version where the camera breaks, so then maybe I will be able to pinpoint the feature that is causing the problem

EDIT: It appears that the 1.44 RUU is the only one that has a working camera on.

Last edited:

twistedddx

Oct 23, 2010
AT&T 3.18 and 5.18 RUU is exe not zip. Did you download the correct file and flash the RUU correctly? It sounds like you have downloaded the wrong file as you mention stock recovery and such which all sounds horribly wrong.
Post the filenames you are flashing.

Also AT&T says you can not skip 2.20 RUU when upgrading from older builds.
Eg 1.44 through to 3.18 requires 2.20 between.

I would try:
Install 2.20 RUU
Test camera
Install 3.18 RUU
Test camera
Install 5.18 RUU
Test Camera
Install custom ROM
Test Camera

thethinkman

Aug 13, 2012
AT&T 3.18 and 5.18 RUU is exe not zip. Did you download the correct file and flash the RUU correctly? It sounds like you have downloaded the wrong file as you mention stock recovery and such which all sounds horribly wrong.

I would try:
Install 2.20 RUU
Test camera
Install 3.18 RUU
Test camera
Install 5.18 RUU
Test Camera
Install custom ROM
Test Camera
I skipped 2.20 to get to both 3.18 and 5.18 with no problems other than the camera. The RUU flashes you to stock recovery, how is that horribly wrong?

Right now I'm on version 2.2 as we speak, and the camera doesn't work. It only works on 1.44.

http://androidruu.com/?developer=Evita I got most of the RUUs from there. The Cingular 3.18 is definitely a zip file. The 1.45 AT&T is an exe.

Here is a list of filenames of stuff I have tried.

htc_one_x_RUU_2.20.502.7_att_us_08022012.exe
HTC_One_X_RUU_5.18.502.1.exe
RUU_Evita_UL_ATT_US_1.44.502.1_Radio_0.15.3201.09_release_249105.exe
OTA_EVITA_UL_JB_45_S_Cingular_US_3.18.502.6_0.24p.32.09.06_10.130.32.34_release_3061616bcty3drvawwo01k.zip

They are all AT&T and display the AT&T boot.

I will try exactly as you said and see what happens, starting from 1.44.

Last edited:

Heisenberg

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 29, 2011
Knocking on your door
OnePlus 9 Pro
I skipped 2.20 to get to both 3.18 and 5.18 with no problems other than the camera. The RUU flashes you to stock recovery, how is that horribly wrong?

Right now I'm on version 2.2 as we speak, and the camera doesn't work. It only works on 1.44.

http://androidruu.com/?developer=Evita I got most of the RUUs from there. The Cingular 3.18 is definitely a zip file. The 1.45 AT&T is an exe.

OTA_EVITA_UL_JB_45_S_Cingular_US_3.18.502.6_0.24p.32.09.06_10.130.32.34_release_3061616bcty3drvawwo01k.zip

I think the point was that you're using the stock recovery to flash whatever zip it was you found. An RUU is never a zip file, it's always an exe, so the 3.18 file you flashed was wrong.

The 3.18 zip file you used is an OTA, it says that in the filename, and that's why it's a zip. You've just downloaded the wrong file from androidruu. The one you should have grabbed is the one with RUU in the filename, and the exe extension (see the bottom most file in attached screenshot).
yqydu4uz.jpg

Sent from my Evita

thethinkman

Aug 13, 2012
I think the point was that you're using the stock recovery to flash whatever zip it was you found. An RUU is never a zip file, it's always an exe, so the 3.18 file you flashed was wrong.

The 3.18 zip file you used is an OTA, it says that in the filename, and that's why it's a zip. You've just downloaded the wrong file from androidruu. The one you should have grabbed is the one with RUU in the filename, and the exe extension (see the bottom most file in attached screenshot).

Sent from my Evita

OHHH. Okay, I'm downloading the RUU for 3.18 now. Sorry to both of you for the confusion.

Here's my progress:
Installed 1.44 via RUU. Camera... Working!

Last edited:

twistedddx

Oct 23, 2010
I guess continuing the process from there isn't useful =(

Yea it would seem there is no hope for your device running updates at this point.
The new versions had updates to the camera and clearly your camera doesnt like them. Lots of "performance" improvements push hardware closer and closer to their limits, your camera no longer can handle being that close to the limit.

thethinkman

Aug 13, 2012
Yea it would seem there is no hope for your device running updates at this point.
The new versions had updates to the camera and clearly your camera doesnt like them. Lots of "performance" improvements push hardware closer and closer to their limits, your camera no longer can handle being that close to the limit.

It's just frustrating to me because I've been on the latest CyanogenMod for months, with working camera. You'd think that the stockish camera that's relatively low on features wouldn't be so taxing. Nor would Camera Zoom FX. Alas, I'm on 1.44 (Android 4.0.3 :( ) because that's the only version with a working camera. I wish it wasn't so laggy, and that I could use Google Now, I got accustomed to it... I haven't so far had any problems with my phone, and got it essentially at launch. At least my 2 year contract is almost over...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Sent from my Evita

I would try:
    Install 2.20 RUU
    Test camera
    Install 3.18 RUU
    Test camera
    Install 5.18 RUU
    Test Camera
    Install custom ROM
    Test Camera

yqydu4uz.jpg

Sent from my Evita