[HARDWARE MOD] [EXTERNAL SPEAKER] Increase your Xperia Z external speaker volume Mod*

Search This thread

abhishek.hitman

Jan 14, 2011
Wolverhampton
Hi All

Yesterday while playing with my phone and after becoming a victim of the low speaker volume post dipping in water, I just found out that the external speaker's volume can be increased* on par with other competitor manufacturer phone by this method.

*Note: You WILL lose the waterproofness feature of the phone by doing this. Do this only if you're sure that you're not going to dunk your phone in the water the next time you want to show off. You have been warned.

So for this mod, all you need is a tiny sharp pin, gentle hands and patience.

I do not have any pictures to post at the moment but I guess this is a fairly simple task and anyone can perform it.

Using the sharp pin, pry out the shiny plastic frame just at the end of the external speaker. Only pry out the length of the speaker and not any longer because it's unnecessary. Then, you can find a tiny strip of micro porous membrane. This is what protects the phone from water ingress at the speaker output. Carefully peel out the membrane ensuring that it's not being damaged while you do this.

Just to confirm that this mod actually does help, you can perform your own test. Play your favourite song in Walkman, and peel and unpeel the membrane and notice the difference in sound output.

This mod will also help people who have very low volume after dipping the phone in water. Just peel the membrane a bit and then reattach it properly ensuring its properly sealed. This should solve your low volume problem. Press the frame material by applying force at the speaker area to seal the frame properly.

There you have it, it's not that the speaker is crap or the volume is too low in this phone. Things have been kept to a maintain a balance between durability and function.

Please do let me know if you like this mod and if it has helped you, hit the thanks button.

Last edited:

iDroid8

Dec 18, 2012
London
Does going too loud not damage the internals against which it was designed for? Not to mention the waterproofing being gone now.

abhishek.hitman

Jan 14, 2011
Wolverhampton
Does going too loud not damage the internals against which it was designed for? Not to mention the waterproofing being gone now.

No iDroid8, the internals are not damaged by doing this mod, you're just opening up the more obstructed sound caused due to the waterproof flaps that are present in the Xperia Z.

This mod does not do anything to the speaker itself, the speaker works as stock but the sound is improved due to the much better opening created.

And Yes, as mentioned in the mod itself, this makes you lose the waterproof feature but this mod is for people who really want a louder phone and can live without the waterproofness feature.

fards

Inactive Recognized Developer

abhishek.hitman

Jan 14, 2011
Wolverhampton
you sure that's not just a dust filter?
There was a post some time ago from someone who'd dismantled their XZ and found a small piece of polycarb protecting the speaker that affected the volume.

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=45115265&postcount=9

Possibly easier to link to the complete thread, http://xdaforums.com/xperia-z/general/xperia-z-damn-loud-mods-t2419635

I'm not sure about what's mentioned in that thread. There the backplate itself was removed. It could as well be the similar thing but I just accessed the mesh filter that we can see from outside near the speaker area. It might as well be a dust filter but then where's the water being stopped? Does it go into the mesh and then stop somewhere inside?