[ACC]Ultimate Sony Smartwatch INFO thread (MN2)

Search This thread

MOUSEY

May 23, 2006
This app called 'NotifySmartWatch'

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.portany.notifysmartwatch

is the mother or all notification app for the watch. Basically it routes ANY of your notification from your phone directly into the watch. Description in market is in Japanese but I took a dive had tested it - it works flawlessly.

With this app, you can customize which app is allowed to send notification (like WhatsApp, facebook G+, Email). But the notification message is as what you see in the notification bar in your phone.

Setting up: You would need to set the accessibility settings in your phone after installing the app - to enable the app to capture all notifications and route over. After which you also need to customize which app notifications would be filtered over from LiveView. Hope this helps!

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

dansharpy

Dec 29, 2010
This app called 'NotifySmartWatch'

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.portany.notifysmartwatch

is the mother or all notification app for the watch. Basically it routes ANY of your notification from your phone directly into the watch. Description in market is in Japanese but I took a dive had tested it - it works flawlessly.

With this app, you can customize which app is allowed to send notification (like WhatsApp, facebook G+, Email). But the notification message is as what you see in the notification bar in your phone.

Setting up: You would need to set the accessibility settings in your phone after installing the app - to enable the app to capture all notifications and route over. After which you also need to customize which app notifications would be filtered over from LiveView. Hope this helps!

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for the tip! Wouldnt of even looked at this because of it being in Japanese but just downloaded it and it looks good! I especially like being able to customise the amount and length of vibrates for each notification! Updated OP :)

Reactions: Bardamuz and segv11

wiaza100

Mar 14, 2004
2e988fb1-c594-b718.jpg

New update solve random reboots

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

Mizraim52700

Apr 6, 2009
Same here.
Updated this morning - everything went well. But after the update the watch disconnectes and reboots all the time.

I realized the following behaviour - I am able to start the watch and then it tries to sync with the phone. After a while the screen goes blank. But if I wake it up now the screen flickers twice & it reboots with the "Sony" display.
Same thing when I receive a notification - so a connection between the phone (Xperia S) and the watch is actually established.

I chatted with some guy from Sony support & he told me to contact my dealer to get a replacement (I just got it yesterday) :(
I figure I will wait a few days if there is an update and if that does not help I will get a replacement for it is still in warranty.

I have the same problem, search in YouTube the next video: Falla Sony SmartWatch después de Actualización
I can't write the link cause Im new here in XDA

Sony :mad:

Last edited:

Bertobert

May 31, 2012
1.0.3.4 solved the disconnects

The update solved the problem for me. I crossed my fingers downloaded the SmartWatch application and had liveware manager install the update. Afterwards no more disconnects and the watch works like a charm.

Hope there will be another update for all fellows where the update didn't fix the problem.

general forceps

Jan 15, 2011
'Calendar reminder' stopped working for me after the last update. 'No events'
I can capture them with 'Custom Notifier', but something has certainly changed in the firmware that prevents it from working.

I no longer see it in the Play Store either.

marko68

Mar 16, 2007
Edinburgh
Xiaomi Mi 11
After the update it was working fine.....but today after i made a recharge the smartwatch doesn't pair with the xperia s, and when i try to push the green check on smartwatch screen, nothing happens...........
Someone can help?

guiguigawa

Jan 22, 2011
After the update it was working fine.....but today after i made a recharge the smartwatch doesn't pair with the xperia s, and when i try to push the green check on smartwatch screen, nothing happens...........
Someone can help?

I have the same problem since this morning. I tried an update via SEUS and i can't check in my watch when i try to pair with my phone... I already try to reboot my phone with bluetooth desactivated and my watch shutdown.
Nothing woks. HELP!!!

lepapirriky

Oct 21, 2008
I got the watch on the 5th and as soon I as turn it on I was force to do the update, at the beginning I opt out but the watch wasn't working so I had install it.

So everything is fine, I just got my first random turn off, I had to wait like 3 minues to even turn it on, for some reason the power button wasn't doing anything when I try it.

Hopefully there will be more development on this watch since now verizon has decided to sell this watch on their store.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA

gannon82

Apr 26, 2011
Huddersfield
considering getting one of these myself i have a gsm galaxy nexus rooted has anyone got the same setup and discovered any problems ?

cheers

rEVOLVE

Nov 16, 2006
Had this a few days now, switched out the band w/ a stainless steel one for another watch i had lying around and now it looks pretty nice as it matches the ss trim.
LojSGVif
wlS7kOGs

My main problem is even after update, there are times when it seems to get stuck and if I'm not watching it, it completely drains the battery in a very short time (within an hour). When it's stuck pressing the button doesn't help, even holding down for 15 seconds. Only attaching to the charger will wake it up - i've tried it with just the cable w/o a power source and this will revive it, so it's not a case of the power completely draining.

I do have quite a few apps on it, so I'll try resetting back to stock and just adding apps one at a time.

So far I do plan on returning this if the random locking continues. I was hoping this would tide me over until Pebble arrives.

Also should add I'm using this on a rooted Razr Maxx w/GB Eclipse ROM until my Galaxy S3 arrives.

Last edited:
Reactions: ahmadallica

Bond@007

Dec 23, 2010
Libramont
Had this a few days now, switched out the band w/ a stainless steel one for another watch i had lying around and now it looks pretty nice as it matches the ss trim.
LojSGVif
wlS7kOGs

My main problem is even after update, there are times when it seems to get stuck and if I'm not watching it, it completely drains the battery in a very short time (within an hour). When it's stuck pressing the button doesn't help, even holding down for 15 seconds. Only attaching to the charger will wake it up - i've tried it with just the cable w/o a power source and this will revive it, so it's not a case of the power completely draining.

I do have quite a few apps on it, so I'll try resetting back to stock and just adding apps one at a time.

So far I do plan on returning this if the random locking continues. I was hoping this would tide me over until Pebble arrives.

Also should add I'm using this on a rooted Razr Maxx w/GB Eclipse ROM until my Galaxy S3 arrives.

Hi, i'm looking for alternative strap for sony smartwatch, what's the name - ebay link or internet link for to buy the same of you ?
Have you some idea for other alternative strap full compatible with Sony Smartwatch ?

rEVOLVE

Nov 16, 2006
BTW, that watch strap was from some old 49ers watch, but they're right, the adapter allows most regular straps to work.

A few things I've discovered:

1. The watch is not charging properly due to the poor design of the charging cable. Not only is it proprietary, so you are screwed if you lose it (costs $15 to replace from the Verizon site where i bought this from), but the cable depends on the watch's spring clip to keep it in contact for charging. Unfortunately it doesn't give it enough pressure to keep the charging contacts together - I have to actually pinch it all together in order to get it to charge. I was just assuming when the face would turn off that it was actually charging, but it wasn't.

2. The touch seems to be very inaccurate (even after confirming a full battery). Specifically, if i am attempting to access a button in the panel where 4 icons are showing, i can never reliably hit the one in the upper left hand corner. It always seems to register this as either an up swipe or left to right swipe action even though i have actually tried very carefully to hit that spot. Also the "double tap" nor the "shake to access" doesn't always register and you just end up looking like an idiot tapping on the watch or shaking your wrist.

All in all, seems a crappy execution - which is no excuse for a Version 2 model from an established company like Sony. I'll swap it this week in case i got a dud and if it still has all these problems, it's going back. If the replacement fixes all the other issues, I'll take this all back.

Reactions: segv11

segv11

Mar 19, 2012
BTW, that watch strap was from some old 49ers watch, but they're right, the adapter allows most regular straps to work.

A few things I've discovered:

1. The watch is not charging properly due to the poor design of the charging cable. Not only is it proprietary, so you are screwed if you lose it (costs $15 to replace from the Verizon site where i bought this from), but the cable depends on the watch's spring clip to keep it in contact for charging. Unfortunately it doesn't give it enough pressure to keep the charging contacts together - I have to actually pinch it all together in order to get it to charge. I was just assuming when the face would turn off that it was actually charging, but it wasn't.

2. The touch seems to be very inaccurate (even after confirming a full battery). Specifically, if i am attempting to access a button in the panel where 4 icons are showing, i can never reliably hit the one in the upper left hand corner. It always seems to register this as either an up swipe or left to right swipe action even though i have actually tried very carefully to hit that spot. Also the "double tap" nor the "shake to access" doesn't always register and you just end up looking like an idiot tapping on the watch or shaking your wrist.

All in all, seems a crappy execution - which is no excuse for a Version 2 model from an established company like Sony. I'll swap it this week in case i got a dud and if it still has all these problems, it's going back. If the replacement fixes all the other issues, I'll take this all back.

I've experienced both issues, though not as severely as you:

1) Quite a bit of fiddling is required to get the cable to sit right. I need to have the watch sitting flat on the desk, face up, and there needs to be NO twist or tension in the cable. I need to pinch the spring clip tight against the connector when I first start charging, and watch to make sure it really stays connected when I put the watch down. Once I do all this, it _does_ charge reliably.

2) Yes, the touch screen is innacurate. I can usually click on the right icon on the grid of 4 about 75% of the time. I keep my favorite apps in "widget mode" however, where this is not a big issue because my target is the whole screen...

It's better than nothing, but it's got a lot of bugs. Sony should have done better, and Pebble is going to profit because after the Sony device people will long for a smart watch that actually works.

userfriendlyme

I'm sure the pebble watch will have it's on set of issues . There is no device I no without bugs hell even our phones have em. I thought the cable was a little wonky also but I just make sure its clipped firmly. Honestly if u had the first Sony watch the liveview. You would think this charging connection was a godsend. Sony made a ton of improvements on the new smart watch it does everything its suppose to..it actually stays connected unlike there first watch its one of my used accessories.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    smartwatch-main-image-620x440.png

There seems to be a few threads regarding the new Sony Smartwatch so i thought it might be a good idea to correlate all the info into one handy thread! If you have any tips/tricks/apps or general info you think should be included then post below! If any of the info helps you dont forget the thanks button and rate the thread!!

Reviews

XDA Smartwatch Impressions Thread- HERE

XDA member review by PVTD- Very good review HERE

Apps

OFFICIAL APPS:
    • Liveware Manager- Your watch wont work without this!- MARKET LINK
    • Smartwatch- You have to have this for the smartwatch to work!!- MARKET LINK
    • Phonebook Smart Extras- Phonebook manager- MARKET LINK
    • Music Player Smart Extras- Control your music from your watch!- MARKET LINK
    • Weather Widget Smart Extras- Shows you the current weather and forecast for your current or a set location- MARKET LINK
    • Sony Smart Extras for Facebook- Keep up to date with your Facebook friends on the go- MARKET LINK
    • Messaging Smart Extras- View your text messages on your watch- MARKET LINK
    • Call Handling Smart Extras- Mute, answer or reject incoming calls- MARKET LINK
    • Find Phone Smart Extras- Make your phone ring and vibrate so you can find it easier- MARKET LINK
    • Missed Call Smart Extras- Notifies you of missed calls- MARKET LINK
    • Calendar Reminder Smart Extras- Notifies you of upcoming calendar events- MARKET LINK
    • Sony Smart Extras Twitter- Stay up to date with all things Twitter- MARKET LINK
    • Email Smart Extras- Notifies of new emails (only works on SONY phones!)- MARKET LINK
    • Slideshow Smart Extras- View a slideshow of your recent pics- MARKET LINK
    • Gmail Smart Extras- Get notified of new Gmails and view the first few lines of it- MARKET LINK
    UNOFFICIAL APPS:
    • XDA member Beowolf has made some excellent apps, see his thread HERE
    • Custom watch for Smartwatch- A replacement watch app that allows you to keep the screen on (so you can use it like a watch!) Even with dim there is a big battery drain though!- MARKET LINK
    • Notifysmartwatch- An app to send any notifications from any app to your smartwatch. Customise number and length of vibrations.- MARKET LINK Thanks to Mousey for the tip!!
    • Vibrate Alarm- An alpha app by our very own XDA member Pacosal. When set the app will display a notification to say the alarm is set. When the time comes it will vibrate every 8 seconds until you stop it.- POST HERE
    • Watchit!- This app can send notifications from any app installed on your phone to your smartwatch. Easy to set up and tweak, you choose which apps send what!- MARKET LINK
    • Spy for Smartwatch- This app is another from Pacosal. Swipe watch to start audio recording, swipe again to save file to SD. Simple and effective!- MARKET LINK

Tips
    • Double tap the strap or screen to turn the screen on
    • If you shake it hard enough the screen will turn on
    • There are currently no ways to keep the screen on or alter the timeout (other than 'Custom watch for Smartwatch')
    • You can now choose either an analogue or digital watch that stays on when the smartwatch detects motion (will use battery faster!)
    • To completely reset the watch (for instance if you're having trouble pairing/flashed a new rom etc.) Press and hold the power button for 15 seconds. When you turn it back on it should show the watch and phone with a syncing arrows in between them.
    • Process for a full reset (basically like you just got it out of the box!)
      1- Remove smartwatch app from phone by going to setting->apps->smartwatch->uninstall
      2- Unpair the smartwatch from phone by going to settings->bluetooth->smartwatch->unpair
      3- Reset smartwatch by following the above tip (hold power button for 15 secs)
      To re-pair the devices make sure liveware manager is installed on your phone, re-pair, download smartwatch app when prompted.
    Any tips you have which you think are cool, please post so i can put them here!!​

Updates / Changelogs
    05/07/2012-
    Smartwatch (watch)- 0.1.A.3.7
    Smartwatch (app)- 1.2.37

Changelog-
    • Various bug fixes

04/06/2012- SOME PEOPLE ARE STILL EXPERIENCING RANDOM REBOOTS AFTER THIS UPDATE, UPDATE AT YOUR OWN RISK!!
    Smartwatch (watch)- 0.1.A.3.4
    Smartwatch (app)- 1.2.34

Changelog-
    • Bug fixes (issues still remain for some)

30/05/2012- SOME PEOPLE ARE EXPERIENCING RANDOM REBOOTS AFTER THIS UPDATE, UPDATE AT YOUR OWN RISK!!
    Smartwatch (watch)- 0.1.A.3.3
    Smartwatch (app)- 1.2.33

Changelog-
    • New UI for the smartwatch app in liveware manager. Now seperate sections for apps, clocks, sorts apps, sort widgets, usage tips and about.
    • The 'Clocks' section has new clocks!! The standard one as before. a new digital and analogue clock which will stay visible for as long as the watch detects movement.
    • Active notifications. When the gmail, messaging icon etc. notification shows on the screen you can tap on it to go directly to that notification! (instead of having to unlock and go to new events.)
    • Usage tips section shows tips on using the smartwatch using animations.
    • Battery indicator is now always visible when charging!

Requested apps:
    1-Some sort of watch screen lock so others cant view personal messages when its not on my wrist.
    2- Watch app that starts the audio recording or video recording on my phone through the watch interface.- SEE SPY FOR SMARTWATCH ABOVE

Ill update this thread when i can and will hopefully add new apps as they become available on the market. If you think there's something missing from this thread then please let me know!! :)
    Open SmartWatch Project

Open SmartWatch Project h ttp://developer.sonymobile.com/services/open-smartwatch-project/

Copy to Sony's web

"We are now taking the next step to open up SmartWatch. Previously, you’ve been able to create apps for SmartWatch with the Sony Add-on SDK, but now we hope to see even more innovation as we’re making it possible for advanced developers to create and flash alternative firmware, by sharing technical details and instructions.

However, before you create and flash alternative firmware to SmartWatch, it’s crucial that you read through the important information below.

Limitations
    Please note that by flashing alternative firmware to SmartWatch it will no longer work as intended. You will no longer be able to use SmartConnect or any compatible SmartWatch app available on Google Play™.

Important information – read this before flashing alternative firmware
    Please note that you may void the warranty of your device and/or any warranty from your operator if you flash alternative firmware to SmartWatch. See your device’s warranty statement for details. Additionally, due to the modified device software, Sony’s repair network will likely have to replace key components before it can properly test, repair and verify your device using our repair tools and software. Consequently, if Sony performs a warranty repair, Sony will likely charge you a significant service fee for the additional costs caused by your modification of the software.

Sony can no longer guarantee the full functionality of your device, and will not be responsible for any alternative firmware being put on the device. Certain functions on your device might cease to work, and performance might not be ideal. You might also damage your device permanently. In the worst case, flashing alternative firmware may cause physical injuries or material damage, for example, due to the device overheating.

With all of the above in mind, you should only flash alternative firmware to SmartWatch if you are an advanced developer with good knowledge of the technology and risks involved. We recommend standard users not to flash alternative firmware, as it is not needed. We are proud to deliver great software experiences through our rigorously tested and official software releases.

If you are fully aware of the risks involved, and if you are an experienced developer, you can continue to the flash alternative firmware to SmartWatch by following the instructions on the pages below."

I can't wait to see the first rom to Sony smartwatch
    ok here's detailed answers for you:
    • to make the smart watch vibrate when it disconnects from your phone: it already does it automatically
    • to make your phone ring: simply use Find Phone app, that's what it's built for
    • to use Tasker as alarm & lock trigger: keep reading below:
    Requirements:
    - a mobile phone
    - a Smart Watch (duh)
    - Tasker installed on your phone
    - Smart Connect app on your phone (it's required from the smart watch to manage the connection)

Short explanation:
    Smart Connect has the built-in events to do 'something' on an event triggering, such as bluetooth connection, mobile on charge, headphone connection, and so on.
    We'll use the bluetooth connection event to make Tasker lock/unlock the phone, and saying something out loud with the Google text-to-speech engine.

1. First off, open Tasker, go to Tasks and click on the '+' button to add one
    2. give it a name ( I used "lock") and continue
    3. on the Task Edit menu, press the '+' symbol to add the task, then click on 'Display' and then on 'Keyguard'
    4. set 'Set' on and go back to Task Edit [this enables the system lock, in case you keep it disable (as it happens for me)]
    5. now add Display -> System lock, without changing anything, and go back to Tasks menu [this switches the screen off]
    6. add a new task, name it ('unlock' would be nice), add Display -> Keyguard, and set it to 'off' [if you want the lock screen to be disabled, otherwise just skip this step]
    7. enough with Tasker, now open Smart Connect app, and click on the '+' button
    8. select 'Add device' and pick your smart watch (previously paired with your smartphone) and then click on the forward arrow
    9. now click on Start Action to select Start Shortcut and then Task Shortcut
    10. here you will pick the task Unlock (whatever you named it) to assign it to the Connection event
    11. do the same for the End Action, selecting the Lock task this time, then go forward to give this event a name, and Voilà!

Should you want to add a sound alarm you can either use Misc -> Say task in tasker, after point 3., or use Media -> Play Ringtone task.

if you want to try it, then on your smart watch go to settings and deactivate bluetooth to see what happens.

I hope it will be somehow helpful :)
    Hey,

Just to update I used the new call handling PRI app and it works perfectly. Emailed the DEV too about compatibility and he responded almost immediately, great app, great DEV, recommended 5*.

P.S is anyone else just astonished with the worlds final wakeup to wearable technology? I see topics on forums speculating about apple watches and the galaxy watch etc and even before the pebble came out and I just find myself thinking my smart watch cost less than £70 and it does all of that and more. Most underated piece of technology in recent years me thinks.

Johnny

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda app-developers app
    May I ask owners how they make use of the watch and how it is more convenient than using ones mobile direct? I want one but so far not even I can justify the watch as being of any practical use. I hope I am wrong,. Another major concern is understand the watch isn't even water resistant so taking it in the rain is out of the question? Needing to charge the phone every 1-3 days is also very odd for a watch don't you think? It appears very impractical?

I wanted to reply before reading other responses & getting biased by them.

My main reason for getting this watch: Not missing calls/texts/etc. I keep my phone in my pocket, but tried in a hip pouch for a while. Sadly, it only took a little outside noise to make it close to impossible to hear my phone, and even in my pocket I can't feel the vibration.

I work as an IT guy and I'm on call 24/7, so missing calls can be reaaal bad for me.

So I have my watch set up to vibrate on Phone, SMS, email. Now I don't miss calls in a loud environment (and with 3 little kids, that's a lot of places).

As an added bonus, I like flashing the latest roms, which can reboot - or flat out hang without knowing. I get the bonus here because the watch vibrates on loss of connection letting me know my phone is rebooting or locked up.

Any other watch features - including just telling time on it! - is just an extra bonus. I like the quick pick up on calls, and the quick email reply - but they are corner cases for me.

On charging - I'm used to charging my phone every night, so it was a quick & easy step to charge the watch nightly as well. I've missed a couple days, and it's nice to know I can miss a day or possibly two with no problems.

The cable stinks, btw - but a rubber band fixed the problem. Tacky, but it works.