[REF][GUIDE][05.05.12]Rooting,BL unlocking,Recovery,Kernel installation[Noob's guide]

Search This thread

vimjam

Dec 13, 2008
hmmm i've just noticed now :( anyways thanx mate.......my phone came with 0.62 update .......bought the phone 2 days ago......seems like i have to wait till the ics update......have any idea wen is the ics update rolling out for neo v??

hey try this

1. install CWM for loked bootloader
2. download RootXperia.zip
3. flash it via recovery
4.done

Reactions: ayfon

vimjam

Dec 13, 2008
Update 20/02/12 : Added alternative rooting methods in second post it works on latest firmware too , check & report for any problems

spell correction of credited persons, LINKS UPDATED

mysterio619

Aug 27, 2011
Bangalore
thanks guys finally unlocked my bootloader....
bootloader.jpg

this means its unlocked rite*in a state of confusion* ???

Last edited:

mysterio619

Aug 27, 2011
Bangalore
downgrade to 42 build

yes your bootloader is unlocked :)

thanks mate for your thread and useful work....i dont loose my DRM by this method rite??..........should i downgrade to .42 firmware if i want root access......wat is the diff b/w .62 and .42....are there any major changes regarding stability and battery life........will i be able to do a OTA update after downgrading?? *since i have unlocked bootloader*

EDIT: it was foolish of me asking this after unlocking bootloader ....please ignore it..........

Last edited:

vimjam

Dec 13, 2008
thanks mate for your thread and useful work....i dont loose my DRM by this method rite??..........should i downgrade to .42 firmware if i want root access......wat is the diff b/w .62 and .42....are there any major changes regarding stability and battery life........will i be able to do a OTA update after downgrading?? *since i have unlocked bootloader*

EDIT: it was foolish of me asking this after unlocking bootloader ....please ignore it..........

yes you didn't loose your DRM .... the latest firmware can be rooted too , flash any other stock kernels (night-elf or pwnkernel ) and then go to recovery & then flash the rootXperiazip from the second post of this thread

Madfysh

Sep 22, 2011
thanks man ill add this up...
no need, I was just pointing Gjole86 to links you already have in first post ;)
btw. do you read your PM? I sent you link about track id solution.
---------------------------
And I still see you kept link that Wurstwa55er gave you. I doubt that version of s1tool will work, as that's the older version.
since the link to setool is down (at least for me)
I found this one - hope it´s the right (free) version ;)
http://www.4shared.com/archive/368gLTKn/s1tool.html
---------------------------
hey try this

1. install CWM for loked bootloader
2. download RootXperia.zip
3. flash it via recovery
4.done
Update 20/02/12 : Added alternative rooting methods in second post it works on latest firmware too , check & report for any problems
That won't work. To install CWM you need to have root access :) So no way of rooting .62.
Only way: downgrade to .42, root, OTA to .62, and you keep root. ;)
------------------------------

should i downgrade to .42 firmware if i want root access......wat is the diff b/w .62 and .42....are there any major changes regarding stability and battery life........will i be able to do a OTA update after downgrading?? *since i have unlocked bootloader*
Since you unlocked by s1tool, and not with official method(from SE), you should be able to use SEUS or PC Companion, or even OTA(not 100% sure, but only 99% :))
So if you want root, downgrade to .42 and root. If then you want to go to .62, just do OTA update(meaning from phone, not from PC)

Last edited:

ordasi

Dec 28, 2009
Hello all

I have a question. If i unlock my sim with wotans' X unlocker, the fastboot will be enabled? Sorry for my bad english.

vikramam

Oct 10, 2009
GADAG
freeforwindowsphone.co.nr
[#2]Rooting,BL unlocking,Recovery,Kernel installation[Noob's Guide][updated 20/02/12]

:)Step by step guide for unlocking your xperia neo v’s boot loader:)
Just download the pdf from attachment and follow the steps
Download drivers here

Attachments

• s1tool.7z
    4.6 MB · Views: 66

Madfysh

Sep 22, 2011
:)Step by step guide for unlocking your xperia neo v’s boot loader:)
Just download the pdf from attachment and follow the steps
Download drivers here

What's the point of this, since we have instructions here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1409269
:rolleyes:

And also wrong instructions.. :)
No need for back button, that's for flashmode, and since we don't need flashmode here, no need for those drivers.
Also since you put fastboot drivers in that drivers pack, you didn't put .inf file for Sony Ericsson phones. :)

Drivers for BL unlocking are in s1tool.7z pack.

Last edited by a moderator:

kriko

Apr 9, 2008
I've tried to use fastboot for first time - the blue led is on, but windows is giving me headeaches. It's a fresh win7 installation with pc companion, installed Flashtool and the device is recognized, but I get an error when connecting in fastboot mode, just as in attached picture.

Why? Manual installation fails in the same way.

EDIT:
Because you have to manually rerun driver installation exe package and select your device :)
SOLVED

Attachments

• se.png
    se.png
    32.4 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:

kriko

Apr 9, 2008
Last edited:

TheQuarterMile

Apr 29, 2011
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
I've tried the new beta ICS. Now I want to go back to my backed up stock .62.
As I've understood I have to reflash old kernel and restore the backup image from CWM?

What I did:
- fastboot from a kernel with CWM
- restored .62 backup
- flashed .62 stock kernel from here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/seandroid/files/xperianeov/Kernel/Gingerbread/stockkernel/generic/

But now the phone is stuck in a reboot loop. What now?

EDIT: factory reset doesn't help. Faulty kernel?

Did you try wipe cache partition?

Reactions: kriko

kriko

Apr 9, 2008
Now I've wiped cache, dalvik cache and did a factory reset. Device still keeps rebooting.

Did I damaged it permanently?

All I did is try out the ICS beta (flashed via fastboot mode).

UPDATE: I've downloaded the bigger ftf image (160MB) and now it seems to boot normally. The difference is that this image has /system in it.

SOLVED, thanks

EDIT: but it seems that CWM backup is unusable, after restoring it, will start rebooting again. So data it's lost.

EDIT2: I had to restore .42, root it, install CWM, update to .62. At this point I've tried to restore again the CWM backup and now it's working as it was before the ICS beta test upgrade. :=)

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Thread overview
    Post 1 : process overview --26/12/11
    post 2 : Rooting , Bootloader unlocking/relocking ,CWM installation -- 20/02/12(added alternative rooting method )
    Post 3 : Kernel installation -- 26/12/11
    Post 4 : custom rom installation (SOON)

block-1.png
    [1].Rooting
    Rooting is like a main gateway which will unlock all you android's hidden abilities , it gives the user full control over your phone .Linux Super User = Android Root . Rooting is made as easy as possible , thanks to developers at XDA .

1. Rooting 4.1.b.0.431 , 4.1.B.0.587 Firmware [Thanks to MADFYSH]

Download .ftf file according to your location

4.1.b.0.431

i = international
    MT11i 4.1.B.0.431 RU, CDF-1254-9477_R1I
    MT11i 4.1.B.0.431 Iberia, CDF-1254-6304_R1I
    MT11i 4.1.B.0.431 Central Europe 1, CDF-1254-9708
    MT11i 4.1.B.0.431 India CDF-1254-8478, SI-1254-8966
    MT11i 4.1.B.0.431 NCB Nordic, CDF-1255-1755, SI-1254-9263
    MT15 4.1.B.0.431 NCB, Nordic, CDF-1247-0875 -- [ALT LINK 1]
    MT11i 4.1.B.0.431 Central Europe 3, CDF-1255-1494, SI-1254-3429 -- [ALT LINK 1] -- [ALT LINK 2]

a= american
    MT11a 4.1.B.0.431 US, CDF-1254-9468

4.1.B.0.587

i = international
    MT11i 4.1.B.0.587 NCB, Nordic, CDF-1255-1755, SI-1254-9263
    MT11i 4.1.B.0.587 India CDF-1254-8478, SI-1254-8966
    MT11i 4.1.B.0.587 Central Europe 1, CDF-1254-9708
    MT15i 4.1.B.0.587 NCB, Nordic, CDF-1247-0875 -- [ALT LINK 1]

a= american
    MT11a 4.1.B.0.587 US, CDF-1254-9468

Download Flashtool from this thread -- [ALT LINK 1]
    Help GUIDE for flashtool

Rooting

(For unlocked Bootloaders)

RootXperia.zip or SU method

This is an one click PC app for easy rooting created by Bin4ry .

Steps
    1. follow the instructions of this thread & install CWM recovery(there are two methods ,since you dont have root follow the first method i.e direct pc install)
    2.Download RootXperia.zip or Superuser-3.0.7-efghi-signed..zip & place it in your SDCard
    3. switch off your device & power it on & when you see the sony ericsson logo start pressing the volume download button repeatedly untill you see recovery options
    3. select the install zip from sd card option and select the RootXperia.zip
    4. after flashing the zip is completed reboot device & voila rooted !!!

(For locked Bootloaders)

Go to these threads , instructions are provided by madfysh ,thank him

4.1.B.0.431
    4.1.B.0.587

[2].Bootloader

Bootloaders are used to boot operating system on our device . Usually our phone's bootloader will be locked by Sony Ericsson during its production itself . Almost every custom rom we install has its own KERNEL which is responsible for overclocking the cpu & other stuff.To install custom roms which contains custom kernels we need UNLOCKED BOOTLOADERS .

Unlocking via Sony's Official website

Sony has provided a website where we get an unlock code for each IMEI no. type in that code and your bootloader will get unlocked officially . This is the easiest unlocking method possible . Wait there's more , official unlocking method does more bad than good , like
    1. will void warranty
    2. Will loose DRM & track Id related stuff
    3. No official phone updates via SEUS/PCC or OTA

If you don't care about them please go ahead and click this LINK and follow on-screen instructions on that site

RELOCK : TO relock use this LINK

There is an alternative way to avoid the above mentioned limitations , it is called SEtool

Unofficial Unlocking (S1tool)

This method overcomes all the three limitations , but you will need to do a little work manually , this method introduces us to a new word called TESTPOINT(Of all those 8 golden points , only the point which is indicated by the arrow is the TESTPOINT) .For NEO V testpoint is located deep within a slot covered by a black patch which is above our SIMCARD slot (see this picture and remove the black covering) .
    attachment.php

It is used for function-test during production. & we are going to ground that testpoint using a simple wire .instead of that pin you can use any conducting material (wire , safety pin , paper clip , but make sure its diameter is not more than that of the testpoint else it will touch other points and might brick your phone)
    attachment.php
    Ground : ground is refereed as the negative battery pin of the phone
    attachment.php

Steps
    1. download & extract SEtool from this thread , if not available [LINK 2] , [LINK 3] , [Thanks to Madfysh & Wurstwa55er]
    2. Connect test point to the ground and attach USB cable. Wait while Windows shows finding new device, disconnect test point immediately. Windows won't find appropriate drivers. select drivers manually from the archive of SEtool. Agree to install 'untrusted' drivers.
    3. Reboot your PC
    4. Run s1tool, press 'Patch semcboot' and follow tho on-screen instruction.

RELOCK : : ONLY THE RESTORE BUTTON PRESENT IN S1TOOL WILL RELOCK YOUR BOOTLOADER , other procedures will not work.Connecting TP to ground while using RESTORE button is not necessary.

EXTRA info : (thanks to DooMLord)
    attachment.php

[3].ClockWorkMod Recovery
    ClockWorkMod Recovery also known as CWM ,is a Custom recovery for android devices which is very useful for
    1. Installing custom roms ,kernels,patches , flashable zips.
    2. Backup & restoring your rom
    3. Wiping system , cache & other partitions
    4. Mounting sd-card & other partitions
    5. & more :p
    attachment.php

Steps
    1. Enable USB Debugging on device
    2. Connect your device using usb data cable
    3. download and extract CWM install.RAR
    4. Download ADB Drivers ADB drivers & install them & Run install-cwm1.cmd
    5. Follow on screen instruction

Switch off your phone , press the power button and keep pressing the volume down button when you see Sony Ericsson for the first time until you see CWM(not the logo/boot animation , the SONY ERICSSON screen which appears first) task COMPLETE
    [4].Nandroid Backup
    Nandroid backup is a backup/restore option available in your CWM . Backup you current SE rom for saftey , select backup option and let it do its work . The backuped files will be in ClockWorkMOD folder of your SD card , keep a backup of this backup in your PC in case when anything goes wrong this backup will save you

this total information has been taken from several threads thanks to the following who made it possible
    DooMLord , puppet13th ,nobodyAtall , illus4 , Qwerty123 \m/
    [5].Kernel Installation
    Kernels(boot.img) are the main base for any custom rom you install , kernels are installed using FASTBOOT feature of android ADB , there is a simple logic you need to remember before you flash any kernel

Stock Rom = Stock kernel
    MIUI Rom = MIUI Kernel

before you flash any custom rom make sure you've installed its related kernel (boot.img)

Requirements :
    1. Flashtool
    2. Download Flashtool package & Drivers
    3. CWM backup of stock rom
    4. Fastboot

Instructions : (thanks to doomlord)

Flashing Kernel (boot.img):

1. this WILL NOT WIPE ur data
    2. the custom kernel will be provided as boot.img file
    3. just copy this file to fastboot folder(folder where fastboot package is extracted)
    4. power down device and get into FASTBOOT MODE (LED notification turns BLUE)(switch off device hold menu key & plugin usb) with usb-cable connected to PC
    5. once u are in fastboot mode open command prompt and navigate to the folder containing fastboot files then just use the following command to flash custom kernel:

fastboot flash boot boot.img

6. once flashing is complete you will get a prompt on pc saying that everything is ok
    7. now just unplug ur device and u are on the custom kernel

Overclocking

1. DOWNLOAD SetCPU from XDA
    2. Select automatic detection of speeds ,and allow root access to Setcpu
    3. default speed is 1024Mhz & maximum overclocking is based on the kernel you flash

Visit this thread for list of available kernels http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1313445

maximum overclocking may harm your device
    reserveD for custom rom post
    Reserved for future use