[Q] Getting past the "Read-only file system"

Search This thread

adanedhel728

Jan 17, 2010
Ultimately... All I'm trying to do is put my custom ringtone on the internal memory so that it still plays correctly when the sd card is connected to my computer. (Though I certainly wouldn't mind removing the obnoxious "boot_att.ogg" file as well.) But I keep getting thwarted. First by the discovery that there's no /home directory (which kind of weirds me out, but that's a whole 'nother story).

Anyway, my phone is rooted with z4root, and I'm trying to do this by two different methods. [Correction: It would be better to say that I've tried this using two different programs] I've tried using "adb shell," and I've tried using "Android Terminal Emulator". I can successfully use su in both of them (but if I can't rewrite anything, then I don't see what the difference is). Then I go to the directory on my sd card where the cell ring is and I type

cp cell\ ring.mp3 /system/media/audio/ringtones/​

And it replies

cp: /system/media/audio/ringtones/cell ring.mp3: Read-only file system​

So, I found these instructions that say to use "mount -o rw,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3" (though I think it needs to be "mtdblock7" for mine) or "mount -o rw,remount -t rootfs /" But when I do either of those, it returns

Usage: mount [-r] [-w] [-o options] [-t type] device directory​

Which I take to mean that the "mount" command isn't being used correctly (and my experience with the mount command on desktop bash is limited, so I don't have any clue how to correct it).

It's worth noting that I have the exact same results in both adb shell and Android Terminal Emulator.

So, I found another thread (I think one on XDA) that said that I need to be in recovery mode to write to /system, which kind of makes sense. But I have no clue how to do that. And Google is not helping. The only instructions I could find said to turn the phone off and hold down the camera and volume up button. Which did nothing. And it's a good thing nobody was watching because I'm sure I looked like an idiot.

So... I guess I'll have to ask, how do I get into recovery mode? But at this point, I keep coming across so many absurd things keeping me from this that I wouldn't be surprised if next I get an error.

Therefore, my question is this: Is there a way to get into recovery mode, or, alternatively, is there a way to keep my ringtone working even while my sd card is connected to my computer?

Last edited:

adanedhel728

Jan 17, 2010
I do have busybox installed. I have no idea what it does, but I installed it in an attempt to enable sideloading (which I have yet to successfully do; apparently the file isn't in the same place on the Flipside as the Captivate and I was going by a Captivate guide).

I have not yet tried Root Explorer. I know this sounds stupid since it's just four dollars, but I tend to shy away from mobile programs that cost money. (Don't know why, I've been that way since my black and white palm pilot.) But, that's just something that's weird about me, lol. I'll get Root Explorer tomorrow and come back.

marvin02

Mar 29, 2010
Indiana
Busybox is a set of command line utilities. More Info. The link in my previous post is to an installer for Busybox. Busybox provides a set of commands that can be used and many of the tutorials on modifying an android phone use them. Some don't clearly state Busybox is required.

If you are using this thread as a guide to enabling installation from unknown sources be sure to read the whole thread. In particular this post.

Reactions: adanedhel728

adanedhel728

Jan 17, 2010
Mission accomplished: Root explorer worked perfectly. I saw it in the marketplace before, but I didn't know it can change read/write privileges. (I didn't get it because I thought it was going to have the same effect as Android Terminal Emulator, just without the GUI. Obviously, I am pleasantly corrected.)

And I have a correction: I did not have BusyBox installed; I had the installer installed. But it is installed now.

Thanks also for the links; sideloading is on my to-do list, after removing AT&T bloatware.

And I have one quick question: Do you (or anybody reading) happen to know if it'll be ok if I remove that boot_att.ogg file in /system/media/audio? I don't know if AT&T designed it so that the phone will crash without it, so I thought I'd ask before removing it.

Reactions: gt7599a

marvin02

Mar 29, 2010
Indiana
. . . .

And I have one quick question: Do you (or anybody reading) happen to know if it'll be ok if I remove that boot_att.ogg file in /system/media/audio? I don't know if AT&T designed it so that the phone will crash without it, so I thought I'd ask before removing it.

I have not tried any mods of the boot sound. I would suggest that you replace the file with one that is the same name but just silence if removing it does not work.

escott888

Jul 19, 2009
Mounting file system as Read/Write

I too can affirm that the "Root explorer" app works perfectly for toggling the Read Only File System to Read Write.

I have a Samsung Captivate from AT&T that I upgraded to Froyo (2.2) using the official release from Samsung via the Kies Mini interface. First, I can say that was very worth it. Love 2.2 much better than stock 2.1

I rooted the phone with SuperOnceClick1.7 (had to have a Windoze OS to run that though) that I got from XDA developers and it worked like a charm. I then removed all the bloatware that AT&T likes to inflict upon its users by using "Titanium Backup." Finally, I added "Terminal Emulator" and verified that the su command was working and then "cd" to the "/etc" folder where the "PowerOn.wav" file is for the annoyingly loud startup sound is to delete it. When I issued the "rm" command to delete the file, got the dreaded "can't delete dueo the Read-only file system" or something very similar. Tried using the Android SDK via adb and that gave exact same results.

What to do?...Found this thread that gave great advice that "Root explorer" does work to toggle the R/O to R/W so the file could be deleted.

Thank you marvin02 for the great lead!!! :)

M

Moto Mouth

I have removed the "boot_att.ogg" file without any problems and went as far as swapping out the "bootanimation.zip" also without any problems. Now using CyanogenMod 5 boot animation but... haven't had any luck replacing the .ogg file for a custom startup sound. Tried encoding audio to the same specs as the original but keep getting this strange noise at boot time instead. Just thought I'd throw that in.

elliottdp

Mar 28, 2012
Quick question...

I just downloaded the free explorer from Speed which makes Root Explorer.

don't see any button to change read only to read/write. Is that a feature only in the paid Root Explorer?

Thanks from a Noob.

Edit: Just so if there are any other noobs asking... Yes, need to get the paid version to be able to write in system folders.
The free version is not able.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Do you have busybox installed?

Have you tried Root Explorer? It has a button to toggle read-write and read only in a folder.
    Busybox is a set of command line utilities. More Info. The link in my previous post is to an installer for Busybox. Busybox provides a set of commands that can be used and many of the tutorials on modifying an android phone use them. Some don't clearly state Busybox is required.

If you are using this thread as a guide to enabling installation from unknown sources be sure to read the whole thread. In particular this post.
    Mission accomplished: Root explorer worked perfectly. I saw it in the marketplace before, but I didn't know it can change read/write privileges. (I didn't get it because I thought it was going to have the same effect as Android Terminal Emulator, just without the GUI. Obviously, I am pleasantly corrected.)

And I have a correction: I did not have BusyBox installed; I had the installer installed. But it is installed now.

Thanks also for the links; sideloading is on my to-do list, after removing AT&T bloatware.