I337_NB1toNC1_KeepRoot_OTA.zip & I337UCUFNC1_100%_Stock_Rooted_ROM(4/24/2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

muniz_ri

Jun 27, 2012
Method# 1: This "Keep Root" method uses a modified version of the official NB1 to NC1 OTA Update.zip to upgrade while maintaining User Data and Root Access! The file is flashed in Safestrap and the end result is a 100% Stock, Rooted, NC1 Device. Proceed at your own risk!

**Closing my thread now that a direct rooting method is available. Thanks to @kevp75 and @loganfarrell for all of the support provided to me and others in this thread!**: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2783157

**Important Notice**: If you are currently on factory stock, unrooted NB1 or NC1 follow the instructions in Post# 3!:

Donations Welcome!

**Prerequisite** You must be on a 100% Stock NB1 system, except for root and safestrap, before proceeding with this method! The update will fail if any NB1 system files have been modified or deleted, e.g. thru Xposed, flashing Tether AddOn.zip, etc. You must first restore the stock files or flash the I337UCUFNB1_100%_Stock_Rooted_ROM. Or, instead update to NC1 by flashing the I337UCUFNC1_100%_Stock_Rooted_ROM from Post# 3 below.

Here it is: I337_NB1toNC1_KeepRoot_OTA.zip

And here: I337_NB1toNC1_KeepRoot_OTAwBL.zip (This version contains the NC1 bootloader, MK2 bootloader users will not be able to flash back to factory stock MK2 after flashing).

1. Place the I337_NB1toNC1_KeepRoot_OTA.zip in the root of your ext sdcard.
2. Make certain that you have installed the latest Safestrap-JFLTE-3.72-kk-B01.apk.
3. Boot into Safestrap recovery but Do Not Wipe!.
4. Flash the NB1toNC1_KeepRoot_OTA.zip in the "Stock Slot." Once flashing is complete press "Home" and reboot into "Download Mode".
5. Last, flash the I337_NC1_Stock_Kernel in Odin's PDA slot(AP in Odin v3.09+).

Once complete the phone will reboot then "optimize apps" before completely rebooting. Done!

Known Issue: Safestrap.apk will force close after updating to NC1 using this method, however Safestrap recovery will continue to function. Optional: To manually uninstall safestrap recovery use Es File Explorer to delete system/etc/safestrap and system/bin/e2fsck, then rename system/bin/e2fsck.bin to e2fsck (save these files if you wish to manually reinstall Safestrap at a later time).

I337UCUFNC1_100%_Stock_Rooted_TetherAddOn
Instructions:
1. After flashing and booting into I337UCUFNC1_100%_Stock_Rooted_ROM or I337_NB1toNC1_KeepRoot_OTA.zip,
2. Place the AddOn in ext sdcard.
3. Reboot into Safestrap recovery and flash the AddOn in Stock Slot (Do Not Wipe Prior to Flashing)
4. Reboot. Done!

Last edited:

muniz_ri

Jun 27, 2012
I337UCUFNC1_100%_Stock_Rooted_ROM

Method# 2: The following is not a root method in the "traditional" sense, e.g. Saferoot, Kingo. This is a workaround to our inability to root KitKat 4.4.2. However the end result is a Fully Functioning 100% Stock, Rooted, NC1 Device. Proceed at Your Own Risk!.

**Note**: The process below has been proven to work without exception when the instructions are followed to the letter. Should you run into trouble please consider re-reviewing the instructions to identify your error before requesting assistance. Thank you.

Here it is: I337UCUFNC1_100%_Stock_Rooted_ROM

And here: I337UCUFNC1_100%_Stock_Rooted_ROMwBL (This version contains the NC1 bootloader, MK2 bootloader users will not be able to go back to factory stock MK2 after flashing).

1. Place the I337UCUFNC1_100%_Stock_Rooted_ROM in the root of your ext sdcard.
*2. Download the I337_Downgrade_to_MK2 file, extract the .tar and flash in PDA slot in Odin(AP in Odin v3.09+) to obtain semi-functioning(no-wifi) MK2.
3. Use your favorite root method to root MK2, e.g. Saferoot, Kingo Root App, then install the latest Safestrap-JFLTE-3.72-kk-B01.apk.
4. Boot into Safestrap recovery, perform an "Advanced Wipe" and wipe everything except ext sdcard.
5. Flash the ROM zip in the "Stock Slot." Once complete press "Home," then reboot into "Download Mode".
6. Flash the I337_NC1_Stock_Kernel in PDA slot in Odin(AP in Odin v3.09+).

*MK2 users can skip Step# 2.

Once complete the phone will reboot and pause on the white AT&T splash screen for about 1-2 minutes before completely booting into the ROM. Done!

- It's recommended that you use Safestrap's Backup/Restore function to backup and restore User Data prior to and after flashing the ROM. Make sure and thank @loganfarrell for discovering this very useful feature.
- In general, to flash a different 4.4.2 Safestrap Custom ROM after flashing this ROM reboot into Safestrap recovery, perform an advanced wipe, and wipe everything but ext sdcard. Then flash the new ROM in the "Stock Slot" and reboot (Refer to the other ROM's dedicated thread for any additional requirements or for assistance. Please limit the discussion in this thread to the 100%_Stock_Rooted_ROM and the KeepRoot OTA zip).

Known Issues: None!

Instructions:
1. After flashing and booting into I337UCUFNC1_100%_Stock_Rooted_ROM or I337_NB1toNC1_KeepRoot_OTA.zip,
3. Reboot into Safestrap recovery and flash the AddOn in Stock Slot (Do Not Wipe Prior to Flashing)
4. Reboot. Done!

Last edited:

Rhymey

Apr 20, 2014
If I'm already on rooted NB1 would it be worth it to upgrade or should I just stick on NB1? not sure what the differences are..

lmarr28

Feb 20, 2012
I'm still running stock rooted MDL. Can I use one of these to flash up to NC1 just using CWMRecovery? I just want to make sure I don't lose my sweet MDL bootloader!

Duffmantp

Jun 26, 2011
When the hell did I miss the NC1 modem???
That's all I care about. I'm using mdl just so I can access service mode.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using xda app-developers app

ClubWDW

Apr 24, 2012
@muniz_ri Everything works fabulous. Just unclear on one thing....When I go to manually uninstall SS, I was able to delete the system/etc/safestrap folder and I saw the file system/bin/e2fsck. But I could never find the system/bin/e2fsck.bin. I tried to uninstall and reinstall Safestrap and it will load but will not give me the recovery option. Any assistance would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

slim26

Feb 24, 2012
When loading the full rom (I337UCUFNC1_100%_Stock_Rooted_ROM) does that also take care of updating the stock radio and stock recovery?

Sorry if this is already spelled out somewhere, I just don't see it.

Thanks.

prk5365

Jul 18, 2012
Appleton Wisconsin
The following is not a root method in the "traditional" sense, e.g. Saferoot, Kingo. This is a workaround to our inability to root KitKat 4.4.2. However the end result is a Fully Functioning 100% Stock, Rooted, NC1 Device. Proceed at Your Own Risk.

1. Place the ROM zip in the root of your ext sdcard.
2. Make certain that you have the latest Safestrap v3.72(NB1)apk (Download and learn more about SS from this thread:http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2448925).
3. Boot into Safestrap recovery, perform an advanced wipe and wipe everything except ext sdcard.
4. Flash the ROM zip in Stock Slot.
5. Press "Home," then reboot into Download Mode and flash the I337_NC1_Stock_Kernel in PDA slot in Odin(AP in Odin v3.09+).

Once complete the phone will reboot and pause on the white AT&T splash screen for about 1-2 minutes before completely booting into the ROM. Done!

- It's recommended that you use Safestrap's Backup function to backup user data prior to flashing the ROM. Make sure and thank @loganfarrell for discovering this useful feature.
- In general, to flash a different 4.4.2 SS Custom ROM after flashing this ROM reboot into SS recovery, perform an advanced wipe, and wipe everything but ext sdcard. Then flash the new ROM in Stock Slot and reboot (refer to the other ROM's dedicated thread for any additional requirements or for assistance).

Known Issue: Safestrap.apk will force close after updating to NC1 using this method, however safestrap recovery will continue to function. To manually uninstall safestrap use es file explorer to delete system/etc/safestrap and system/bin/e2fsck then rename system/bin/e2fsck.bin to e2fsck (save these files if you wish to manually reinstall SS at a later time).

Instructions:
4. Reboot. Done!

I have an I337UCUFNC1 Stock Unrooted
In your OP #3 Boot into Safestrap recovery.
How do you install Safestrap v3.72 when ROOT Requirement is needed?
I tried to install Safestrap Zip from recovery and it Failed and wipe my phone.
How do I root phone. Tried Saferoot, Kingo with no luck.
Can I do the I337_NB1toMK2_Downgrade to get root with my I337UCUFNC1 Stock? :confused:

ClubWDW

Apr 24, 2012
Has anyone figured out how to restore recovery if it is lost after update to NC1? Pulling out what little hair I have left....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Method# 1: This "Keep Root" method uses a modified version of the official NB1 to NC1 OTA Update.zip to upgrade while maintaining User Data and Root Access! The file is flashed in Safestrap and the end result is a 100% Stock, Rooted, NC1 Device. Proceed at your own risk!

**Closing my thread now that a direct rooting method is available. Thanks to @kevp75 and @loganfarrell for all of the support provided to me and others in this thread!**: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2783157

**Important Notice**: If you are currently on factory stock, unrooted NB1 or NC1 follow the instructions in Post# 3!:

Donations Welcome!

**Prerequisite** You must be on a 100% Stock NB1 system, except for root and safestrap, before proceeding with this method! The update will fail if any NB1 system files have been modified or deleted, e.g. thru Xposed, flashing Tether AddOn.zip, etc. You must first restore the stock files or flash the I337UCUFNB1_100%_Stock_Rooted_ROM. Or, instead update to NC1 by flashing the I337UCUFNC1_100%_Stock_Rooted_ROM from Post# 3 below.

Here it is: I337_NB1toNC1_KeepRoot_OTA.zip

And here: I337_NB1toNC1_KeepRoot_OTAwBL.zip (This version contains the NC1 bootloader, MK2 bootloader users will not be able to flash back to factory stock MK2 after flashing).

1. Place the I337_NB1toNC1_KeepRoot_OTA.zip in the root of your ext sdcard.
    2. Make certain that you have installed the latest Safestrap-JFLTE-3.72-kk-B01.apk.
    3. Boot into Safestrap recovery but Do Not Wipe!.
    4. Flash the NB1toNC1_KeepRoot_OTA.zip in the "Stock Slot." Once flashing is complete press "Home" and reboot into "Download Mode".
    5. Last, flash the I337_NC1_Stock_Kernel in Odin's PDA slot(AP in Odin v3.09+).

Once complete the phone will reboot then "optimize apps" before completely rebooting. Done!

Known Issue: Safestrap.apk will force close after updating to NC1 using this method, however Safestrap recovery will continue to function. Optional: To manually uninstall safestrap recovery use Es File Explorer to delete system/etc/safestrap and system/bin/e2fsck, then rename system/bin/e2fsck.bin to e2fsck (save these files if you wish to manually reinstall Safestrap at a later time).

Instructions:
    4. Reboot. Done!
    I337UCUFNC1_100%_Stock_Rooted_ROM

Method# 2: The following is not a root method in the "traditional" sense, e.g. Saferoot, Kingo. This is a workaround to our inability to root KitKat 4.4.2. However the end result is a Fully Functioning 100% Stock, Rooted, NC1 Device. Proceed at Your Own Risk!.

**Note**: The process below has been proven to work without exception when the instructions are followed to the letter. Should you run into trouble please consider re-reviewing the instructions to identify your error before requesting assistance. Thank you.

And here: I337UCUFNC1_100%_Stock_Rooted_ROMwBL (This version contains the NC1 bootloader, MK2 bootloader users will not be able to go back to factory stock MK2 after flashing).

1. Place the I337UCUFNC1_100%_Stock_Rooted_ROM in the root of your ext sdcard.
    *2. Download the I337_Downgrade_to_MK2 file, extract the .tar and flash in PDA slot in Odin(AP in Odin v3.09+) to obtain semi-functioning(no-wifi) MK2.
    3. Use your favorite root method to root MK2, e.g. Saferoot, Kingo Root App, then install the latest Safestrap-JFLTE-3.72-kk-B01.apk.
    4. Boot into Safestrap recovery, perform an "Advanced Wipe" and wipe everything except ext sdcard.
    5. Flash the ROM zip in the "Stock Slot." Once complete press "Home," then reboot into "Download Mode".
    6. Flash the I337_NC1_Stock_Kernel in PDA slot in Odin(AP in Odin v3.09+).

*MK2 users can skip Step# 2.

- It's recommended that you use Safestrap's Backup/Restore function to backup and restore User Data prior to and after flashing the ROM. Make sure and thank @loganfarrell for discovering this very useful feature.
    - In general, to flash a different 4.4.2 Safestrap Custom ROM after flashing this ROM reboot into Safestrap recovery, perform an advanced wipe, and wipe everything but ext sdcard. Then flash the new ROM in the "Stock Slot" and reboot (Refer to the other ROM's dedicated thread for any additional requirements or for assistance. Please limit the discussion in this thread to the 100%_Stock_Rooted_ROM and the KeepRoot OTA zip).

Known Issues: None!

Instructions:
    4. Reboot. Done!
    Extras (No need to flash, provided as a courtesy).

Flash in PDA slot in Odin (AP in Odin v3.09+)

I337_NC1_Stock_Modem

I337_NC1_Stock_Recovery
    Uploading New NC1_100%_Stock_Rooted_ROM Files

@loganfarrell. @kevp75

FYI: I was able to resolve the Safestrap force close issue on the NC1_100%_Stock_Rooted_ROM. Uploading new files.....
    @muniz_ri Nice Job My Friend! :good: Let's all hit the Thanks Button for and awesome job Here!