Camera test

Search This thread

bwnotredame06

Jun 24, 2008
Lubbock, Texas
Question - Why does the N95 with roughly 2.5 year old hardware record better video than this newly released TP2 phone?

And we as consumers just accept this without questioning this - LOL!

the best camera i ever had on a phone was the SonyEriccsson w810i , it was only a 2 mp but the pictures were very nice, I actually still have that phone for a spare.

qazzi76

Dec 7, 2004
If you want a qwerty slider phone that is this slim then you have to accept that you cannot get a video camera into it :)

Phone is always a compromise between size and features and functions. Think about the size (the thinness of the slider part) and then compare it to the phones you say have good camera. They're a lot thicker.

Someday the technology will go further but this is what we have now.

Errrr, I beg to differ.

This class of phone should be able to handle recording fluid 30 FPS VGA video.

When you consider the actual size of the camera component in this phone you'll realise the physical thickness of the phone has nothing at all to do with it - LOL!

I'm not taking into consideration the Lens here Im talking hardware capabilities strictly hardware capabilities.

Warren17

Mar 16, 2009
Nottingham
Strangely I bought my TP2 to make calls, Text messages Receive Emails when I'm out and about a bit of web surfing and take the odd quick photo that is ok to send to my mates to embarrass them in the morning.

If i want high end images i take one of my camera's out and use that. It does a brilliant job taking photos, call quality's a little sketchy though ;)

I suppose its all about what you want from your phone, mine does what I want and so I'm happy

qazzi76

Dec 7, 2004
Strangely I bought my TP2 to make calls, Text messages Receive Emails when I'm out and about a bit of web surfing and take the odd quick photo that is ok to send to my mates to embarrass them in the morning.

If i want high end images i take one of my camera's out and use that. It does a brilliant job taking photos, call quality's a little sketchy though ;)

I suppose its all about what you want from your phone, mine does what I want and so I'm happy

Hi Warren,

I fully agree with you.

What I'm getting at is that this Class of phone (TP2) should be capable of recording fluid 640x480 30FPS video if a phone roughly 2.5years it's junior can.

That is my simple point.

T3ku

Jun 17, 2008
Gold Coast, Australia
why would htc include these kinda things if the users they target dont demand it. soo they put some very basic components in that will satisfy the basic demands of the users and keep the price a lil lower than with the high end gear in it..

at least thats what i wud say.. n honestly... if u want good pics n videos then buy a digicam they aint that expensive anymore soo we all can afford one. no point to keep on bragging :cool:

efjay

Nov 18, 2004
Simple fact is, if we continue to accept mediocre products we will continue to get them. Notwhistang the supposed "business" usage of the phone a decent camera on par with its peers should not be an unreasonable request.

bogypop

Nov 24, 2005
Piatra Neamt
This one seems better quality, could you please post some other photos at full resolution?

Any macro?

Which are your settings?

Thanks!

Here is another one in daylight and macro.
I just got the phone yesterday so I don't have many photos.
But after using Kaiser(crap), Touch Pro(defocused on right side, slow shutter), Omnia(poor dinamic range, dull colors), E90(good, slight red tint in center), I think TP2 has the best picture quality (in daylight).
The VGA recording is good also, better than Omnia, almost on par with Nokia E90 (30fps). In daylight you get 20fps mp4 800kbp.
Settings: all default, but sharpness=+2

Attachments

• IMAG0009.jpg
    IMAG0009.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 96

orbitalen

Jun 2, 2009
I'm thinking same as you!.... how can a device 3 year old have a MUCH BETTER camera????

Is this a joke????????

As a matter of fact, I've seen great pictures from the SE W800i's 2MP camera (far much better than MANY of the cameraphones of 2009), which was released 2005... Same goes for the K750i... ;) So talking about old phones with good cameras... :) But as Ratakisko said, u just can't have all the perfection in one device... :)

pepeto2001

Nov 23, 2006
But after using Kaiser(crap), Touch Pro(defocused on right side, slow shutter), Omnia(poor dinamic range, dull colors), E90(good, slight red tint in center), I think TP2 has the best picture quality (in daylight).
The VGA recording is good also, better than Omnia, almost on par with Nokia E90 (30fps). In daylight you get 20fps mp4 800kbp.

Could you please post original files?, at maximum resolution, super-fine quality..

It's dificult to see the quality on resized files, they all seem good!:)

Ratakisko

May 23, 2009
I admit that my knowledge is poor about the video stuff here and i just read that the qualcomm chips aren't the best that you can have for smooth videorecording...

The thickness i meant the lens as in many phones (like the Touch HD) have a bulge around the camera to get the lens to fit in (i presume)

Bright.Light

Jun 12, 2008

Hmm.. this is no macro photo. Can you get closer to anything to make something that resembles a real macro picture somewhat better?
Though this picture is not bad at all! (for a telephone!!)

mallman

Aug 17, 2008
OMG OMG, where'd you get the Voltron figure !!! I want one !!!

haha not to steer too far off topic but that is an original 1983 version in Mint condition baby!!! To keep on Topic here is another pic if him with some setting changed (sharpness to +2 as recommended which i believe means superfine? I don't have a "sharpness" setting that i see). ISO is set to auto, brightness is default... in fact everything is default other than my setting "superfine" setting. Lighting is relatively low in my office but to me it appears outdoor pics are far better then indoor with these settings.

vt.jpg

bwnotredame06

Jun 24, 2008
Lubbock, Texas
As a matter of fact, I've seen great pictures from the SE W800i's 2MP camera (far much better than MANY of the cameraphones of 2009), which was released 2005... Same goes for the K750i... ;) So talking about old phones with good cameras... :) But as Ratakisko said, u just can't have all the perfection in one device... :)

yes sir That's what i was saying in post #22 , the camera is amazing for cell phone.

ratchetjaw

Jan 26, 2009
haha not to steer too far off topic but that is an original 1983 version in Mint condition baby!!! To keep on Topic here is another pic if him with some setting changed (sharpness to +2 as recommended which i believe means superfine? I don't have a "sharpness" setting that i see). ISO is set to auto, brightness is default... in fact everything is default other than my setting "superfine" setting. Lighting is relatively low in my office but to me it appears outdoor pics are far better then indoor with these settings.

MOD EDIT: Removed pic from quote

Original 1983 nice lol, is your lens clear? Mine looked slightly fuzzy also but once i removed the back and wiped the lens they are crystal clear

Last edited by a moderator:

rumkokos

Mar 10, 2009

You arent by any chance saying you took THAT photo attached in your post with HTC Touch Pro 2?? Seems to me it's a digital camera shot, especially with the time signature bottom right.. Where did you set that time stamp to bi visible again? And Where did you set "marco" mode as none of the official stats say it has marco mode. Most even say it doesnt have marco mode. So whats the point of posting that picture of roses in macro mode again?

TP2 has it's camera ... well lets say that camera quality should be on videocall and not a primary cam quality. Have TP2 "outfit" touch HD screen size, Samsung M8800 Pixon 12MP camera with 3x optical zoom, omnia i8910 HD AMOLED screen, and a good battery and AcerF1 1GHz processor running WinMo 6.1 or Android 2.0 (yet to be developed), and you get a state of the art mobile phone. I'd pay a grand for that kind of phone :)

I cant seem to understand why do mobile phone producers coming up with neat looking phones being 2 steps forward and 1 step back... Why would you make a neat looking phone nice design, usefull keyboard, and give him the ****tiest camera, and 2 generations old processor?

Xperia: why making a neat looking design with so small screen, 800x480 resolution when all the phones have 480x800 and why making that screen indent so you get really annoyed touching the screen bumping those borders all the time. You just have to use stylus all the time. Why making such small resolution so u cant touch lol. And the speakers are so quiet omg...

OMNIA:
Why making it nicely designed, and giving it a fast but crappy processor that works very slowly and some crappy touch screen when u have to press everything 3 times to get it confirmed. The batery lasts 2 days. Camera rather sux as well, SE w810i-walkman makes better pics with 2.0 MP!

It's insane, i could go on for miles... Why dont they just make the freaking ultimate good phone? Why dont they make a phone that would cost 50-100€ more and ppl would buy it massively instead of making it a nice design but rest of it is... poor. Everyone wants a good cam once in a while, sure not for journalism or anything but taking a memory at a party yes why not... but not with that phone. Ok businessmen dont party... well u need to send a conference pic and send it over.. well you wont see jack sh*t with that cam. It's insane, it really is.

It's like deciding to buy a new car but you would have to accept the fact it only has 3 tires. Or, it's a neat looking muscule car without the doors. Hey buy the new AUDI R8 the ultimate race car, only problem is you only get to drive about a mile coz of 5.2 liter engine burns a lot of gas.. What the hell man i'll buy Ford T-Bird that car freaking drove and had roof and 4 tires!

Last edited:

ratchetjaw

Jan 26, 2009
You arent by any chance saying you took THAT photo attached in your post with HTC Touch Pro 2?? Seems to me it's a digital camera shot, especially with the time signature bottom right.. Where did you set that time stamp to bi visible again? And Where did you set "marco" mode as none of the official stats say it has marco mode. Most even say it doesnt have marco mode. So whats the point of posting that picture of roses in macro mode again?

TP2 has it's camera ... well lets say that camera quality should be on videocall and not a primary cam quality. Have TP2 "outfit" touch HD screen size, Samsung M8800 Pixon 12MP camera with 3x optical zoom, omnia i8910 HD AMOLED screen, and a good battery and AcerF1 1GHz processor running WinMo 6.1 or Android 2.0 (yet to be developed), and you get a state of the art mobile phone. I'd pay a grand for that kind of phone :)

I cant seem to understand why do mobile phone producers coming up with neat looking phones being 2 steps forward and 1 step back... Why would you make a neat looking phone nice design, usefull keyboard, and give him the ****tiest camera, and 2 generations old processor?

Xperia: why making a neat looking design with so small screen, 800x480 resolution when all the phones have 480x800 and why making that screen indent so you get really annoyed touching the screen bumping those borders all the time. You just have to use stylus all the time. Why making such small resolution so u cant touch lol. And the speakers are so quiet omg...

OMNIA:
Why making it nicely designed, and giving it a fast but crappy processor that works very slowly and some crappy touch screen when u have to press everything 3 times to get it confirmed. The batery lasts 2 days. Camera rather sux as well, SE w810i-walkman makes better pics with 2.0 MP!

It's insane, i could go on for miles... Why dont they just make the freaking ultimate good phone? Why dont they make a phone that would cost 50-100€ more and ppl would buy it massively instead of making it a nice design but rest of it is... poor. Everyone wants a good cam once in a while, sure not for journalism or anything but taking a memory at a party yes why not... but not with that phone. Ok businessmen dont party... well u need to send a conference pic and send it over.. well you wont see jack sh*t with that cam. It's insane, it really is.

It's like deciding to buy a new car but you would have to accept the fact it only has 3 tires. Or, it's a neat looking muscule car without the doors. Hey buy the new AUDI R8 the ultimate race car, only problem is you only get to drive about a mile coz of 5.2 liter engine burns a lot of gas.. What the hell man i'll buy Ford T-Bird that car freaking drove and had roof and 4 tires!

you add a time stamp in the settings menu

hamz22

Jul 11, 2008
Warrnambool
@ mallman

the heavy noise in that pic of voltron is normally caused by a high ISO speed setting. try setting from auto to 100 and see if picture quality improves. in most cases though, the lower the ISO speed, the more light around the subject is required to get a good shot.

khak

Jan 18, 2006
Poland
with the video recording on this device, is it possible to get 30 fps and 1000 kbp ?
What is specyfication of this device regret to video recording detailes ? is it 15 fps or 30 ?