Gen1 to Gen2 TPT Upgrade

Search This thread

wbaw

Oh okay what does the md5 in the OP mean then?

That's for the zip file.

The nandroid.md5 (or md5sum, sha1sum, sha512sum) inside the zip contains checksums for the rest of the files inside the zip - so you can make sure that it extracted & was written to the phone's sd card correctly.

The chances of anything failing are small, but it's important to check, because it is flashing some low level firmware, including the bootloaders which load everything else & allow you to tpt as well as the firmware for the radio processor. If there's some kind of data corruption in the wrong part, it could kill your phone, checking the md5s helps to make sure that everything is ok before you flash.

Last edited:
Reactions: dud3me

dud3me

Dec 9, 2010
Thanks worked great! This was surprisingly easy to root compared to my own phone, should have done it a lot earlier :D

Btw the phone reboots every time I try to change max cpu speed? And also are there nightlies for this phone and can I flash a different rom and how much memory roms for blade usually need and what kinda and does this mtd settings have enough?

Last edited:

wbaw

There are CM7 nightlies yes, it's an official cm7 device. You can flash roms using rom manager (or clockworkmod). You get a 160mb /system partition which should be enough for any custom rom.

If you increase the cpu speed too much then it'll crash/reboot, be more conservative & make sure you've found a stable speed before you set it on boot. The maximum stable speed varies between different phones.

dud3me

Dec 9, 2010
There are CM7 nightlies yes, it's an official cm7 device. You can flash roms using rom manager (or clockworkmod). You get a 160mb /system partition which should be enough for any custom rom.

If you increase the cpu speed too much then it'll crash/reboot, be more conservative & make sure you've found a stable speed before you set it on boot. The maximum stable speed varies between different phones.

I have no idea what are good values for this phone so mind sharing your min and max? Also which governor you prefer? Just Smartass v2?

wbaw

I have no idea what are good values for this phone so mind sharing your min and max? Also which governor you prefer? Just Smartass v2?

There's a wide variation between different individual phones over what the maximum speed is. My current settings are min 122mhz, max 672mhz, ondemand governor. If I set this phone any higher then it'll sometimes crash, more than 728mhz & it'll crash immediately. My last one (this is a replacement that i'm using) was stable at 748mhz. A few people have said their phones work as high as 768 or 787, other people's phones crash at below 652mhz.

dud3me

Dec 9, 2010
There's a wide variation between different individual phones over what the maximum speed is. My current settings are min 122mhz, max 672mhz, ondemand governor. If I set this phone any higher then it'll sometimes crash, more than 728mhz & it'll crash immediately. My last one (this is a replacement that i'm using) was stable at 748mhz. A few people have said their phones work as high as 768 or 787, other people's phones crash at below 652mhz.

Yeah 768 is working if I go higher than that it just crashes immediately

wbaw

Updated to v10. No need to upgrade if you've used a previous version & you're happy with what you have.

Improvements over previous version are: using latest (sept 9th) generic gen2 blade amss.mbn & using orange uk b20 gen1 oemsbl.mbn.

This means that tpt mode will require menu & vol+ to start after applying this tpt, rather than just vol+. It makes it a different key combo to fastboot mode (which is still vol+). It should help to prevent accidental tpts.

Buffalo Soldier

Aug 23, 2011
Kingston
Thank you for your work wbaw, I bought my Blade a few days ago and folowed successfully your tutorial on rooting and installing Clockworkmod, but I want to change my partition sizes before installing CM7. Can i use Gen1-to-Gen2-TPT-v10-custom.zip or some parts of it to do that? I'm on stock European 2.2 Gen2 Blade. Thanks...

Edit: Used Amphoras tutorial here (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1310713) and everything worked OK.

Last edited:

Psych0Chimp

Aug 7, 2010
Does the Upgrade+CM7.1 all-in-one use the custom partition sizes or the stock partition sizes?

Have the stock v8 been and all-in-one been updated to include the custom v10 improvements?

wbaw

Does the Upgrade+CM7.1 all-in-one use the custom partition sizes or the stock partition sizes?

It's the same partition layout as the custom gen1 to gen2 for the CM 7.1 all in one. 160mb /system, 2mb /cache, no oem

Have the stock v8 been and all-in-one been updated to include the custom v10 improvements?

No they haven't, but the improvements are minor. The CM 7.1 all in one uses the version 9 .mbn files.

The main difference for v10 is that after you've applied it you need menu & vol+ to go into tpt mode again. With the older ones it was just vol+ & power on, so there's a slightly increased risk of re-flashing accidentally if you forget to delete the image directory from your sdcard afterwards.

te0006

Aug 20, 2007
Hello, is the cm7-n257-blade-gen1-to-gen2-tpt.zip usable for one of those early Orange SF devices with an OLED screen, too?

Thanks, TE

stimpy_hoek

Jan 26, 2008
near Brno
hello,
I have 1 question (sorry for my english :) )
I have Polish OSF Gen1. I updated to GEN2 by windows method.
Then i use this instructions:
How to Flash
If you intend to keep your ROM/Data, make a nandroid backup. Be aware that depending on which firmware you go from/to, it may not fit on your new partition layout and/or your ROM may not be compatible with your new memory layout.
Make sure you have saved the three files above to your SD card. The version (gen1/gen2) of clockworkmod and your new ROM should match the Gen you are flashing to. Make sure your Blade has plenty of battery.
Boot your phone into recovery mode by turning it on with volume down held. If the words FTM appear on the screen, go to the next step. If you find yourself in clockworkmod or AmonRa, flash restore_stock_recovery.zip and reboot with volume down held. The words FTM should now appear on the screen. Note that you have now removed clockworkmod - you can restore it after flashing.
Connect your phone to your PC via USB.
Unzip the contents of the firmware package you want to flash. Start the program called “download.exe” in the root folder. When the flasher window comes up, press the start button. If the start button is not clickable, use “driverinstaller.exe” to install ZTE drivers and make sure your phone is connected and in FTM mode.
Wait a few minutes for your phone to be flashed. The screen will turn black for a while. Do not interrupt this process. A message will inform you when flashing is complete.
Disconnect your phone and remove the battery. Reinsert the battery and turn on the phone (normally, with no buttons pressed). Your phone should boot into clockworkmod recovery.
IMPORTANT: clockworkmod is now installed to your phone’s boot partition. This means that if you install a ROM at this point you will overwrite clockworkmod. You must now flash the correct version of clockworkmod (recovery-clockwork 4.0.0.5-blade-genX-update_signed.zip) from your SD card. This will install clockworkmod to the recovery partition where it belongs.
Restart your phone with volume down held. It should boot into clockworkmod. If it boots into FTM mode or does not progress pass the green android, go back to step 7 and make sure you flashed the correct version of clockworkmod.
In clockworkmod, install the ROM you downloaded previously or restore your nandroid backup. Reboot and enjoy your new firmware. If you flashed a TPT compatible firmware, then use TPT if you ever want to repartition again.

Can i use this file cm7-n257-blade-gen1-to-gen2-tpt.zip
to repartition (power and vol+ )?
I have 140MB system and I need 160MB

Thank you very much

wbaw

hello,
I have 1 question (sorry for my english :) )
I have Polish OSF Gen1. I updated to GEN2 by windows method.
Then i use this instructions:
How to Flash
If you intend to keep your ROM/Data, make a nandroid backup. Be aware that depending on which firmware you go from/to, it may not fit on your new partition layout and/or your ROM may not be compatible with your new memory layout.
Make sure you have saved the three files above to your SD card. The version (gen1/gen2) of clockworkmod and your new ROM should match the Gen you are flashing to. Make sure your Blade has plenty of battery.
Boot your phone into recovery mode by turning it on with volume down held. If the words FTM appear on the screen, go to the next step. If you find yourself in clockworkmod or AmonRa, flash restore_stock_recovery.zip and reboot with volume down held. The words FTM should now appear on the screen. Note that you have now removed clockworkmod - you can restore it after flashing.
Connect your phone to your PC via USB.
Unzip the contents of the firmware package you want to flash. Start the program called “download.exe” in the root folder. When the flasher window comes up, press the start button. If the start button is not clickable, use “driverinstaller.exe” to install ZTE drivers and make sure your phone is connected and in FTM mode.
Wait a few minutes for your phone to be flashed. The screen will turn black for a while. Do not interrupt this process. A message will inform you when flashing is complete.
Disconnect your phone and remove the battery. Reinsert the battery and turn on the phone (normally, with no buttons pressed). Your phone should boot into clockworkmod recovery.
IMPORTANT: clockworkmod is now installed to your phone’s boot partition. This means that if you install a ROM at this point you will overwrite clockworkmod. You must now flash the correct version of clockworkmod (recovery-clockwork 4.0.0.5-blade-genX-update_signed.zip) from your SD card. This will install clockworkmod to the recovery partition where it belongs.
Restart your phone with volume down held. It should boot into clockworkmod. If it boots into FTM mode or does not progress pass the green android, go back to step 7 and make sure you flashed the correct version of clockworkmod.
In clockworkmod, install the ROM you downloaded previously or restore your nandroid backup. Reboot and enjoy your new firmware. If you flashed a TPT compatible firmware, then use TPT if you ever want to repartition again.

Can i use this file cm7-n257-blade-gen1-to-gen2-tpt.zip
to repartition (power and vol+ )?
I have 140MB system and I need 160MB

Thank you very much

It depends what you flashed using that Windows method.

Some of those packages are copies of older versions of this tpt, if you flashed one of those, then yes it'll work, since you have 140mb system it's likely because that was the old size.

Other packages that you can flash with Windows are pure gen2 & need a different type of tpt, an image.bin file.

Easiest way to find out is to try. It'll either work or do nothing. After flashing you'll need to hold menu and vol+ when you power on if you want to tpt again, new safety feature.

Reactions: stimpy_hoek

rak007

Feb 8, 2011
Mumbai
I intend to do the 1 step Gen1 to gen2 TPT and install the latest CM7 nightly. I just wanted to confirm whether this makes the system partition of 160 MB or 215 MB ??
I want the system partition of 160MB.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This will convert your Gen1 phone to Gen2 & boot into ClockworkMod for you to install your rom. You will lose your data. Make any backups you want first. Gen1 nandroid backups wont restore on a Gen2 phone. Always check MD5s, one way to do it is to download AFV (Android File Verifier) from the Android Market, search for AFV.

It is for European Gen1 ZTE Blades, Orange San Franciscos, Sapo A5s & Base Luteas sold with Android 2.1 Eclair only. None of the downloads on this page will work if your phone was sold with or operator upgraded to Android 2.2 Froyo. In that case, you already have the upgraded radio firmware. This is a safer alternative to the operator 2.2 upgrades which keeps some of the good features of Gen1 (like fastboot mode, tpt mode & extra storage space), but upgrades everything necessary to run Gen2 Android 2.2 Froyo & Android 2.3 Gingerbread roms.

Custom rom version (should work well with most custom roms, more room for your apps & data)
    Download: Gen1-to-Gen2-TPT-v10-custom.zip
    File size: 16.30 MB
    MD5: 3b41b8c9dbf06cd9c33f91a728885633
    SHA1: 4d8cafd9556ade12ef105be36aacb9725ec3bb89
    Partitions: 2mb cache, 160mb system, 294mb data

Alternative version - enough space to install most gen2 stock roms
    Download: Gen1-to-Gen2-TPT-v10-stock.zip mirror
    Download size: 16.3mb
    MD5: ae0207cd88429a062d8b1770b3acd2c4
    SHA1: 2ccc4cd531d00465559a2edb56aa07ee31deabee
    Partitions: 37.5mb cache, 215mb system, 203.5mb data

CM Nightly 257 Version (Upgrades from Gen1 to Gen2 & installs latest CyanogenMod nightly build - all in one)
    Download: cm7-n257-blade-gen1-to-gen2-tpt.zip mirror
    Download size: 107.8 MB
    MD5: 813ba810ca0a596da4eb6ea7e47205a1
    SHA1: 11030dff7b48c79463185b25fc848d488fe77768

Instructions
    Copy a Gen2 rom zip file to your sd card ready to install. Check the md5sum of that against the source (you can use AFV for this).

Unzip this Gen2 TPT zip file to your sd card, it should create an image directory.

Check the nandroid.md5 file in the image directory on your sd card using AFV on your phone (long press on nandroid.md5 file, then Verify Nandroid Backup)

Power off, wait a few seconds, then power on with menu & vol+ held.

It should take a few seconds to flash the new Gen2 firmware (you should see some green text), then it should reboot into ClockworkMod recovery, use that to wipe data & then install your Gen2 rom.

Once installed, remove the image directory from your sd card, to prevent accidentally reinstalling. Once you have installed this just vol+ & power on will send you back into tpt mode if there is an image directory, even if you needed menu & vol+ before.

It is reversible using any Gen1 full TPT (links below), but this will only work on phones that have been upgraded using this method, not phones bought with Gen2 or upgraded with the windows software.

Going back to Gen1

If you upgraded to Gen2 using the above TPT, then going back to Gen1 is easy & safe (if not, sorry, out of luck here). You can install any Gen1 TPT to go back to Gen1, but make sure that it contains a Gen1 amss.mbn & amsshd.mbn use the same method described above, with the files listed below.

Here is Gen1 with stock partitions & ClockworkMod 3.0.14 (16.4mb) -
    Download: Gen2-to-Gen1-TPT-v2-stock.zip mirror
    MD5: fddc02f6f48a53910c317fbef38cf7e4
    Partitions: 42mb cache,207mb system,208mb data

Orange 'B20' Android 2.1 Stock TPT - This will reset your phone back to factory condition if you have a UK Orange San Francisco.
    Download: OUK-B20-Gen1-TPT.zip
    MD5: cf0fd68dc0fc33611c751b32ad3fb10f
    Partitions: 42mb cache,207mb system,208mb data

Safety
    Charge your phone first, make sure it's well charged before doing any TPT, but remove it from the charger before you TPT.
    Check the MD5 of any files, they're there for a reason. AFV from the android market will help you to check the files on your phone, there is a nandroid.md5 file to check.
    There is a nandroid.md5 file in the image directory, check that when it's on your phone, using AFV from Android Market.
    There is a small risk of breaking your phone with any TPT flash.
    No guarantees, no warranty, no support.
    Remove the image directory from your sd card after install, to prevent accidental wipe & re-installs in future.
    Then what should be the size of/cache for good functioning of market on any ROM

Most custom roms don't need any /cache because they redirect it to /data or a ramdisk. Clockworkmod also stores log files there, so if it's under 2mb that gives errors.

The stock /cache size for gen2 is 37.5mb, 42mb for gen1. If it's using that for market downloads then you can't download anything bigger than the space available on /cache.
    I didn't create the TPT helper, so I can't give any support for that.

The green text should be on the screen while it is flashing the rom, it should be a list of files with a percentage next to each to show how much has been flashed, that should only take a minute, then it should reboot, if you flashed a tpt with a rom included then the first boot may take a while.
    Hey wbaw I had previously updated my blade from Gen1 to Gen2 (using 140 mb system tpt). For CM7 I wanted 160 mb system partition, so I used this v9 tpt image.
    But now my phone is not getting past big green Android Logo. I cannot even enter recovery mode :(
    What could be the solution? thanks

PS: I checked md5 before flashing

Did you check the md5 on the phone, like it says in the instructions? You need to check the md5 of all the files after they're extracted to the phone's sd card in case there was any error copying. That's why I say to download & use AFV (other apps are available, or 'md5sum -c /sdcard/image/nandroid.md5' from a command line does the same.)

Did you seen some green text while it was flashing?

Do you own a microsd card reader? (if not, buy one, Poundland & other cheap shops sell them).

Assuming that it did actually flash & you're not just stuck in fastboot mode. The only thing you can do to fix it is try another TPT, or the same one again.

Use a microsd card reader to put the tpt files on your phone's sd card, safely remove it, then put the card back in the reader & check the md5sum in the image directory on your sd card. Then put it back in your phone & try again.

If you didn't get any green text, then it didn't flash & you're in fastboot mode, you just need to pull the battery out. Some sd cards seem incompatible & wont perform a tpt flash.

Finally, 140mb system is (just) enough for CM 7.1 & the latest gapps, there should be about 2mb free. That might change in the future & some other roms are bigger, that's why I made the recent versions 160mb. There is always a (small) risk of breaking your phone each time you do a TPT flash, even if you do everything right, so it should only be done if necessary.
    Maybe I was lucky not to destroy my phone when I even intent it to. appsboot.mbn didn't match but partition_zte.mbn matched in every TPT version and by trying different combination of TPTs led me solved the problem and achieved what i was wanting in doing a partition(160mb system 279mb data and 2mb cahe) in the first place. i guess noone has ever tried it in a chinese blade.