[Script][A2SD]Darktremor 2.7.5.3 Beta 04 [Evo] (01/29/2011)

Search This thread

tkirton

Jul 13, 2009
Katy Texas
www.darktremor.info
Introducing...
Darktremor Apps2SD 2.7.5.3 Beta 04
Date of Release: January 29, 2011

Download Current Version

Instructions - Change Log - Commands - ROM List - Developer's Guide
Darktremor Apps2SD Fan Page ---- Darktremor Apps2SD Development Group

Are you installing Darktremor Apps2SD on your phone? Here are the instructions to help you: Facebook
Are you a developer wanting to include Darktremor Apps2SD in your latest ROM? Here is the Developer Guide: Facebook
Update on Beta 4
It seems I'm getting mixed results with these betas. I'm not sure why this is occurring, some people have been able to get this working right while others have had a hard time with it.

Currently, I'm rebuilding the entire program. This takes a while because I have to figure out how to pack all these options into the program but make it small enough to where it will run correctly.

I will say that some of the beta features are coming back out...one of them is the search for a partition code. I suspect that code may be leading me into issues with certain platforms, so I'm going back to the 2.7.5.2 method of mounting (mmcblk0p2 or mmcblk1p2).

Also, parts of the code will use Busybox Ash (the only code that won't will be starta2sd, which will still use Bash for the time being). The startup code will definitely use Busybox Ash.

Until then, here are the links to the the last two betas and the last official release:

Version 2.7.5.3 Beta 04 - http://www.darktremor.info/files/a2sd/dtapps2sd-2.7.5.3-beta04-signed.zip
Version 2.7.5.3 Beta 03 - http://www.darktremor.info/files/a2sd/dtapps2sd-2.7.5.3-beta03-signed.zip
Version 2.7.5.2-1 - http://www.darktremor.info/files/a2sd/dtapps2sd-2.7.5.2-1-signed.zip

And, if you want past versions, you can view the repository: ftp://dtuser:Darktremor1@ftp.darktremor.info (ignore the smiley face...that's XDA doing that.)
Beta 04 took longer than I expected to release. I have done major changes to the code:

1. New commands: convert-ext4 - This will convert your EXT3 partition into EXT4. Just a friendly reminder on this command: Not every rom supports EXT4, so it is possible to go into a boot loop if you switch roms. Use with caution.

2. Reworked convert-ext3 (convert-ext4 gets similar code)...now a flag file is set before the reboot (no conversion is done before the reboot). At load time, the conversion is performed. This takes longer in the reboot process and you may think your phone has locked up...wait about five minutes before doing anything with the phone.

3. Repair is rebuilt...now it uses existing commands to repair the setup (reinstall, remove, cachesd, cachepart, nocache, datasd, nodata). Definitely shrinks the code.

4. Added fix_permissions program to the package. This may help with Superuser issues when using the datasd feature. It is used in reinstall, remove, datasd and nodata.

5. a2sd install is back!!! Both a2sd install and a2sd reinstall do the exact same thing.

6. Dalvik heap code has been shrunk and now creates a file called dalvikheap. Actually, the code has been doing this all along (since about 2.7.5.2, I think), but I never put the code in to use the file.

7. Low Memory Killer code has also been shrunk and uses a file caled dtset_lowmem to set the low memory killer parameter.

8. Replaced Busybox PS function with Toolbox PS. The issue with Busybox PS is that it gives a false reading when I look for android.process.acore (which is the main program when the GUI starts up). If that is present, the program thinks you are trying to run Darktremor without any command line parameters. This was because Busybox would report the process was there when, in reality, it wasn't (validated this when my phone was boot looping.) Toolbox's PS reports the correct setting. This should fix the bootlooping issues some people are experiencing.

9. New commands: usedtbusybox and usedefaultbusybox - these commands may help in diagnosing issues that is may be related to the native Busybox on your rom. a2sd usedtbusybox will use the Busybox that is packaged with Darktremor. a2sd usedefaultbusybox will turn back on the scan behavior of the program introduced in Beta 03.

10. Support for Darktremor Apps2SD version 2.7 and earlier has been discontinued. To upgrade correctly from one of those versions, use version 2.7.5.3 Beta 03b or earlier.

11. Finally fixed stalled boot issues (or at least my tests with several roms says so.)

See the change log for additional details.

You will notice that if the program runs repair and finds a problem, it will correct the issue and reboot. You will see a second reboot when the dalvik-cache clears (this is to fix timing issues with CyanogenMod...I can't control that startup as well as I can other roms). This only happens if repair is ran or you flash a new rom (as repair will realign all data). If you are upgrading from a previous version of Darktremor, you should not see the reboots.
This is Darktremor Apps2SD, a multipurpose program that primarily allows a user to execute applications created for the Android OS on their Secure Digital card (with the proper setup...more on that later). But, Darktremor Apps2SD is all about stability. The goal is to be able for all users of the Android OS to be able to take advantage of a method to run their applications from a secure digital card.

But just because the Darktremor Apps2SD is all about stability, doesn't mean it isn't packed with features:

- Move applications (both free and paid) to the Secure Digital card.
- Move Dalvik Cache to run either from your Secure Digital card or from your cache partition and clears the cache on demand.
- Boot Loop Protection: prevents the phone from boot looping in the event the SD card could not be mounted.
- Dalvik JIT for faster performance on Roms which support it.
- User selectable sizes for the Dalvik heap sizes, allowing a user to freely optimize their system.
- Activate a swap partition on your SD card and sets how often the swap partition is utilized.
- Automatically fixes configuration issues.
- Users can check the free space on their SD card and check the installation to make sure all is setup correctly.
- Runs ZipAlign on demand...this makes your programs load faster.
- Built in help system for easy reference of commands.
- All features can also be reversed without repartitioning your Secure Digital card.
- New logging features assists in troubleshooting issues.
- Commands to set the Low Memory Killer feature at boot time. Great for those people who are the "set it and forget it" type.
- And more...

Darktremor Apps2SD is not the same as Froyo Apps2SD. Froyo Apps2SD creates a secure folder on the FAT32 section of your SD card (this is the section that you see when you mount your phone to your computer) and stores the programs there. This is nice as you don't have to do anything special with the phone, but it isn't backwards compatible with older versions of Android (Cupcake, Donut, Eclair) and, because of the way Froyo works, older programs not designed for Froyo will automatically stay on your internal storage (unless you install a program that forces the move to your SD card).

Darktremor Apps2SD takes a different approach. Based on the original CyanogenMod works, Darktremor Apps2SD uses symbolic linking to force Android into moving your applications to the SD card. Because Android will not allow anything to be ran from the FAT32 partition on your SD card (and, in Froyo, it will only allow you to run programs from a special folder), Darktremor utilizes filesystems called EXT2, EXT3 and EXT4. Each one of these filesystems is native to Linux (the operating system running Android), which allows you to run programs from them (same as, say, a computer running Ubuntu). This method is completely compatible with all versions of Android, including Froyo. In fact, you can run both the Darktremor Apps2SD and Froyo Apps2SD at the same time.

Check out the list of Roms that either have Darktremor Apps2SD installed or are compatible with Darktremor Apps2SD. Click on the link labeled ROM List at the top of this message.

Last edited:

tkirton

Jul 13, 2009
Katy Texas
www.darktremor.info
Last edited:

tkirton

Jul 13, 2009
Katy Texas
www.darktremor.info
That would probably be dependent on the program you use. I was experimenting on moving the /data/data folder to the SD card. Unfortunately, I wasn't successful with it retaining settings during the move.

I did take out the code that forces /data/data to stay on the data partition, so if you want to move the /data/data folder to, say, /system/sd/data, you can.

I have the option in Darktremor A2SD 2.7.5 Alpha (based on 2.7 Update 1. The current code is based on 2.7 Update 3r1), I will put it in again if you wish to experiment with it (though I will leave it undocumented until it is proven successful).
`

Is there any chance we may have the option to store text messages on the SD card using a system similar to Apps2SD?

Jykinturah

Jun 11, 2010
That would probably be dependent on the program you use. I was experimenting on moving the /data/data folder to the SD card. Unfortunately, I wasn't successful with it retaining settings during the move.

I did take out the code that forces /data/data to stay on the data partition, so if you want to move the /data/data folder to, say, /system/sd/data, you can.

I have the option in Darktremor A2SD 2.7.5 Alpha (based on 2.7 Update 1. The current code is based on 2.7 Update 3r1), I will put it in again if you wish to experiment with it (though I will leave it undocumented until it is proven successful).

To be honest, I am quite new with Android development. I think I will look at some documentation and such before I begin experimenting. Maybe I should do an adb pull of /data/data and look at the stuff there.

If you don't mind, I may request for it later.

tkirton

Jul 13, 2009
Katy Texas
www.darktremor.info
Normally on the Hero (the one I use), the heap size is 16mb (a2sd smallheap). DamageControl uses a heap size of 24mb (a2sd largeheap), which seems to make dalvik-cache runs faster. I included a 32mb heap setting (a2sd jumboheap) that I thought would be perfect for the added memory of the Evo.

Honestly, I'm not sure which one is better. I personally can't tell the difference between them. I would experiment between them and see...but I'm not sure you'll get a noticeable difference unless you clear your dalvik-cache.

As for running Apps2SD on the updated 1.47 rooted rom...if it is a stock rom, it won't run. This is because the stock rom by itself does not have the necessary components to launch any version of Apps2SD (CyanogenMod, Darktremor, DamageControl). Myself and another developer injected the Apps2SD functions in our stock rom and released it (it was just a stock rom...no other modifications was done). So, someone would have to inject the Apps2SD functions into the stock rom.

Hi, what is he best heap size to use?

Also, can I use apps2sd on the updated 1.47 rooted ROM based on the OTA simply by flashing?

Last edited:

dpilcher

Jun 17, 2010
Denver
Partition Size

Just received my 16G (C6) SD card and was wondering if anyone had recommendations for initial sizing of the partitions? Originally did a 50/50 split, but second guessing myself.

dpilcher

Jun 17, 2010
Denver
I have 4GB, but that's a bit excessive. Try around 1-2GB for the ext and, depending if you want a swap partition, 32MB for swap. All the rest goes to FAT32.

Thanks for the feedback. I moved to 3G, but will probably take that down to 1.5 (or almost 3 times the phone's internal system memory correct?) Don't think I will enable a swap, even though it's a C6 with protection elements on the card, don't want continual rw.

tkirton

Jul 13, 2009
Katy Texas
www.darktremor.info
I have swap on mine and I don't see any ill effects.

But you have an Evo, which has twice the memory of the Hero. You probably would benefit without a swap file.

Thanks for the feedback. I moved to 3G, but will probably take that down to 1.5 (or almost 3 times the phone's internal system memory correct?) Don't think I will enable a swap, even though it's a C6 with protection elements on the card, don't want continual rw.

pastert33

Oct 17, 2007
I'm trying to get apps2SD to work with the DC ROM and I'm not seeing this partition selection. When I click on partition, a menu opens up that says a lot about mount and unmount. Also says something about format boot, system, data,cache, sd card, sd-ext. Any help would be appreciated!

Last edited:

brownmc77

Apr 5, 2010
I have swap on mine and I don't see any ill effects.

But you have an Evo, which has twice the memory of the Hero. You probably would benefit without a swap file.

I know this is probley a stupid question but whats the benefit of this?speed? And if so, is it a big differnence? Thanks

tkirton

Jul 13, 2009
Katy Texas
www.darktremor.info
Are you trying to get Darktremor Apps2SD to work or the one already included with DamageControl.

If it is Darktremor, the GUI setup in DamageControl is not compatible. You need to use the commands via Terminal or adb shell. Type a2sd help for a list of commands and a description of what they do.

I'm trying to get apps2SD to work with the DC ROM and I'm not seeing this partition selection. When I click on partition, a menu opens up that says a lot about mount and unmount. Also says something about format boot, system, data,cache, sd card, sd-ext. Any help would be appreciated!

tkirton

Jul 13, 2009
Katy Texas
www.darktremor.info
The only benefit is that it will allow programs to stay in memory longer. It is a little faster, but not significant.

Most people don't even bother putting a swap partition.

Using a program like Autokiller, which adjusts the values of the built-in auto termination routine, would benefit you far better than swap.

I know this is probley a stupid question but whats the benefit of this?speed? And if so, is it a big differnence? Thanks

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Introducing...
    Darktremor Apps2SD 2.7.5.3 Beta 04
    Date of Release: January 29, 2011

Download Current Version

Instructions - Change Log - Commands - ROM List - Developer's Guide
    Darktremor Apps2SD Fan Page ---- Darktremor Apps2SD Development Group

Are you installing Darktremor Apps2SD on your phone? Here are the instructions to help you: Facebook
    Are you a developer wanting to include Darktremor Apps2SD in your latest ROM? Here is the Developer Guide: Facebook
    Update on Beta 4
    It seems I'm getting mixed results with these betas. I'm not sure why this is occurring, some people have been able to get this working right while others have had a hard time with it.

Currently, I'm rebuilding the entire program. This takes a while because I have to figure out how to pack all these options into the program but make it small enough to where it will run correctly.

I will say that some of the beta features are coming back out...one of them is the search for a partition code. I suspect that code may be leading me into issues with certain platforms, so I'm going back to the 2.7.5.2 method of mounting (mmcblk0p2 or mmcblk1p2).

Also, parts of the code will use Busybox Ash (the only code that won't will be starta2sd, which will still use Bash for the time being). The startup code will definitely use Busybox Ash.

Until then, here are the links to the the last two betas and the last official release:

Version 2.7.5.3 Beta 04 - http://www.darktremor.info/files/a2sd/dtapps2sd-2.7.5.3-beta04-signed.zip
    Version 2.7.5.3 Beta 03 - http://www.darktremor.info/files/a2sd/dtapps2sd-2.7.5.3-beta03-signed.zip
    Version 2.7.5.2-1 - http://www.darktremor.info/files/a2sd/dtapps2sd-2.7.5.2-1-signed.zip

And, if you want past versions, you can view the repository: ftp://dtuser:Darktremor1@ftp.darktremor.info (ignore the smiley face...that's XDA doing that.)
    Beta 04 took longer than I expected to release. I have done major changes to the code:

1. New commands: convert-ext4 - This will convert your EXT3 partition into EXT4. Just a friendly reminder on this command: Not every rom supports EXT4, so it is possible to go into a boot loop if you switch roms. Use with caution.

2. Reworked convert-ext3 (convert-ext4 gets similar code)...now a flag file is set before the reboot (no conversion is done before the reboot). At load time, the conversion is performed. This takes longer in the reboot process and you may think your phone has locked up...wait about five minutes before doing anything with the phone.

3. Repair is rebuilt...now it uses existing commands to repair the setup (reinstall, remove, cachesd, cachepart, nocache, datasd, nodata). Definitely shrinks the code.

4. Added fix_permissions program to the package. This may help with Superuser issues when using the datasd feature. It is used in reinstall, remove, datasd and nodata.

5. a2sd install is back!!! Both a2sd install and a2sd reinstall do the exact same thing.

6. Dalvik heap code has been shrunk and now creates a file called dalvikheap. Actually, the code has been doing this all along (since about 2.7.5.2, I think), but I never put the code in to use the file.

7. Low Memory Killer code has also been shrunk and uses a file caled dtset_lowmem to set the low memory killer parameter.

8. Replaced Busybox PS function with Toolbox PS. The issue with Busybox PS is that it gives a false reading when I look for android.process.acore (which is the main program when the GUI starts up). If that is present, the program thinks you are trying to run Darktremor without any command line parameters. This was because Busybox would report the process was there when, in reality, it wasn't (validated this when my phone was boot looping.) Toolbox's PS reports the correct setting. This should fix the bootlooping issues some people are experiencing.

9. New commands: usedtbusybox and usedefaultbusybox - these commands may help in diagnosing issues that is may be related to the native Busybox on your rom. a2sd usedtbusybox will use the Busybox that is packaged with Darktremor. a2sd usedefaultbusybox will turn back on the scan behavior of the program introduced in Beta 03.

10. Support for Darktremor Apps2SD version 2.7 and earlier has been discontinued. To upgrade correctly from one of those versions, use version 2.7.5.3 Beta 03b or earlier.

11. Finally fixed stalled boot issues (or at least my tests with several roms says so.)

See the change log for additional details.

You will notice that if the program runs repair and finds a problem, it will correct the issue and reboot. You will see a second reboot when the dalvik-cache clears (this is to fix timing issues with CyanogenMod...I can't control that startup as well as I can other roms). This only happens if repair is ran or you flash a new rom (as repair will realign all data). If you are upgrading from a previous version of Darktremor, you should not see the reboots.
    This is Darktremor Apps2SD, a multipurpose program that primarily allows a user to execute applications created for the Android OS on their Secure Digital card (with the proper setup...more on that later). But, Darktremor Apps2SD is all about stability. The goal is to be able for all users of the Android OS to be able to take advantage of a method to run their applications from a secure digital card.

But just because the Darktremor Apps2SD is all about stability, doesn't mean it isn't packed with features:

- Move applications (both free and paid) to the Secure Digital card.
    - Move Dalvik Cache to run either from your Secure Digital card or from your cache partition and clears the cache on demand.
    - Boot Loop Protection: prevents the phone from boot looping in the event the SD card could not be mounted.
    - Dalvik JIT for faster performance on Roms which support it.
    - User selectable sizes for the Dalvik heap sizes, allowing a user to freely optimize their system.
    - Activate a swap partition on your SD card and sets how often the swap partition is utilized.
    - Automatically fixes configuration issues.
    - Users can check the free space on their SD card and check the installation to make sure all is setup correctly.
    - Runs ZipAlign on demand...this makes your programs load faster.
    - Built in help system for easy reference of commands.
    - All features can also be reversed without repartitioning your Secure Digital card.
    - New logging features assists in troubleshooting issues.
    - Commands to set the Low Memory Killer feature at boot time. Great for those people who are the "set it and forget it" type.
    - And more...

Darktremor Apps2SD is not the same as Froyo Apps2SD. Froyo Apps2SD creates a secure folder on the FAT32 section of your SD card (this is the section that you see when you mount your phone to your computer) and stores the programs there. This is nice as you don't have to do anything special with the phone, but it isn't backwards compatible with older versions of Android (Cupcake, Donut, Eclair) and, because of the way Froyo works, older programs not designed for Froyo will automatically stay on your internal storage (unless you install a program that forces the move to your SD card).

Darktremor Apps2SD takes a different approach. Based on the original CyanogenMod works, Darktremor Apps2SD uses symbolic linking to force Android into moving your applications to the SD card. Because Android will not allow anything to be ran from the FAT32 partition on your SD card (and, in Froyo, it will only allow you to run programs from a special folder), Darktremor utilizes filesystems called EXT2, EXT3 and EXT4. Each one of these filesystems is native to Linux (the operating system running Android), which allows you to run programs from them (same as, say, a computer running Ubuntu). This method is completely compatible with all versions of Android, including Froyo. In fact, you can run both the Darktremor Apps2SD and Froyo Apps2SD at the same time.

Check out the list of Roms that either have Darktremor Apps2SD installed or are compatible with Darktremor Apps2SD. Click on the link labeled ROM List at the top of this message.
    There is no way to partition your SD card without wiping. Just copy all your files to your computer, partition, then move them all back. It's actually less of a hassle than it sounds.

Sent from my Nitrous injected EVO using xda premium
    FYI - GParted can resize the partitions while preserving data.

However the above method is more reliable.
    ive partitiond sd then flashed DT. then kept going through bootloop
    can 2 zips be flashed before rebooting. and can i recover a nandroid backup

Wipe everything, verify that your partition is there by wiping the SD-ext, then flash your rom. Let it boot up, then verify in Titanitum Backup that the EXT partition is still there. If so, then per our discussion in another thread, download Terminal Emulator and move the cache to the SD (a2sd cachesdreset). The phone will reboot and take a while to pull up your home screen (its rebuilding your cache on the SD).
    This is the common confusion that happened when Froyo was released.

Starting with Froyo, Google included an implementation of Apps2SD that uses the existing FAT32 partition on your SD card. It creates a special folder on your SD card that is normally hidden (most File Managers can see it, though). The options you are seeing regarding moving apps to SD card is from this version of Apps2SD.

This version only moves applications. Dalvik-cache is still left in internal storage and can eat away at your phone storage, even with applications on your SD card. Plus, program data is also left on internal storage, so any web browsing and additional program information will eat away at your internal storage.

The plus side on this implementation is you don't need to know anything else and you don't need to root. Plus, if the programs are compiled using at least Froyo SDK, you can choose which programs move to SD card and which ones stay (some programs will automatically move to the SD card...Angry Birds is one example).

The minus is that some report is that it is a slower implementation of Apps2SD, plus you can't move dalvik-cache or program data. Also, this implementation is only available in version 2.2 and greater (Froyo, Gingerbread). Also, unless programs were recompiled using the Froyo or Gingerbread SDK, they will not move to the SD card without using a third party program or a rom that is designed to force the move.

Classic Apps2SD (also knows as A2SD+, Apps2EXT, SD-EXT) is an implementation that has existed since Cupcake (version 1.5..it may have existed before that). This implementation uses a native Linux (EXT2, EXT3 or EXT4) partition you create on your SD card to move your applications to. The benefit to this is that since Android's kernel is Linux, there is no special instructions to get applications to run in this partition. The trick to this implementation is that it uses a well-documented Linux function called Symbolic Links. Symbolic links perform a similar function as shortcuts do in Windows. The application directory is not located in internal storage, but on the SD card. A pointer file is created to redirect any programs to reference the SD card. This function is behind the scenes...Android will always think it is saving to internal storage when it is really saving to the SD card.

The plus side to this is that some people claim operations are faster in this implementation (since it is using native Linux filesystem). Also, using the same redirections, other files can be put on the SD card (dalvik-cache [Dalvik2SD, Cache2SD] and program data [Data2SD]), freeing up more internal space. Plus, it is compatible with all versions of Android.

The minus side to this is that you would have to repartition your SD card into two partitions (EXT2 / EXT3 / EXT4, and FAT32). You will need to root your phone. Stock roms (or the original software that came on your phone) will not work with this implementation unless it is modified. Also, you will need a third-party implementation (most roms have some form of Apps2SD/Apps2EXT implementation, so this is not usually a concern). You will usually not be able to pick and choose which program to send to external storage...it's usually all or nothing.

i am new to A2SD and i have searched everywhere for help. i have A2SD enabled (verified in terminal and shows 619 MB free of 959 MB under A2SD), but many of my installed applications show that they could be moved to SD when i go into "Manage Applications" under settings. should i move them to the SD card with "Manage Applications" or one of the APP2SD programs in the Market, or do i leave it alone? is there a way to make sure apps are moving to the SD via A2SD or a way to cause my apps to move again to the SD card? lastly, is there a website where i can get some very detailed instructions on using A2SD (i.e., what zipalign is, etc.)? Thanks!
    You have to root...otherwise, the phone won't give you sufficient permissions for Darktremor Apps2SD to work

You then have a second problem. No unmodified Stock ROM can run any version of Apps2SD (other than Froyo/Gingerbread) as those ROMs will not execute boot scripts. You'll need to switch to a different ROM.

Hi all,

I am just new to android i have my nexus one with stock rom 2.2.1, and i need to use this app, shall i root first or i can use it without rooting my phone.

I hope somebody help me on this.