Build quality question

Search This thread

orangeirwin

Jan 16, 2012
Just a quick question for other TF700 owners. I originally bought a Prime and had the bad wifi issues, exchanged it for another with no improvement so I held out for the Infinity. I now have my Infinity and the screen is loose on the right hand side about 2/3 of the way down. If you press it you can feel the give and hear a popping sound. I'm just curious if this is an isolated incident or if a loose screen an issue with the Infinity. I love the tablet and honestly have no clue what I would get instead but, for $500 I expect better build quality.

BPhoenix

Aug 16, 2012
Just a quick question for other TF700 owners. I originally bought a Prime and had the bad wifi issues, exchanged it for another with no improvement so I held out for the Infinity. I now have my Infinity and the screen is loose on the right hand side about 2/3 of the way down. If you press it you can feel the give and hear a popping sound. I'm just curious if this is an isolated incident or if a loose screen an issue with the Infinity. I love the tablet and honestly have no clue what I would get instead but, for $500 I expect better build quality.

I have this issue too. Both the right hand side and left hand side, and a few additional places (7 areas in total). When I closed pad on the dock station a crack formed between one of these two weak areas where screen is loose, and all points to glass cracking exactly because the strains were not supported by chassis. And I closed it the same way I closed it a few other times before (only owned it for about a month).

If you need more description in pictures, there's a thread about defects (it lists clicking/loose screen as one of defects by the way) in this same forum.

I hope that my crack is just an isolated case. This is only my personal opinion based on experience I had, but I would keep bothering the wherever you got your tablet until they give you one without loose screen.

SuperSwagSauce

Feb 2, 2012
Ashburn, VA

Mines clicking in the exact same spot you described. Doesn't seem to be getting worse, and if it doesn't I don't think it will bother me that much. But still, for the money we're paying its inexcusable.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch.

TEmp69

Sep 4, 2011
Same clicking above the microSD slot and on the opposite side -> same location. But it does not really bother me.

Thats OK

Jul 29, 2012
Mine clicks a little right above the dock port on the bottom.
I'm not considering it a problem at this point.

okantomi

Feb 20, 2011
Boston, MA
I have this issue too. Both the right hand side and left hand side, and a few additional places (7 areas in total). When I closed pad on the dock station a crack formed between one of these two weak areas where screen is loose, and all points to glass cracking exactly because the strains were not supported by chassis. And I closed it the same way I closed it a few other times before (only owned it for about a month).

If you need more description in pictures, there's a thread about defects (it lists clicking/loose screen as one of defects by the way) in this same forum.

I hope that my crack is just an isolated case. This is only my personal opinion based on experience I had, but I would keep bothering the wherever you got your tablet until they give you one without loose screen.
In the Nexus 7 forum there were a number of complaints about the screen lifting, and most were found to be caused by screws that were over tightened below the areas of lift. The Nexus 7 back is easy to remove, and I wouldn't suggest doing this with the TF700, but they are both recent ASUS devices and there seems to be a possibility they could suffer from the same issue. By the way. it turns out that only a small % of Nexus 7 owners experienced screen lift, but some had multiple devices with this issue. Mine is flawless, as are the vast majority. I think that must be true for the TF700 as well. Mine is perfect, too.

redheadplantguy

May 10, 2011
Louisville KY
Just checked. Mine has a VERY slight, not quite popping, but like a small"tic" when pressed by SD slot. Had to listen really close to hear it. My prime was nothing but problems, Wi-Fi weak, GPS totally worthless, and camera was unacceptably bad, grainy quality pics.
My Infinity is everything prime was not. Extremely pleased with it. Only problem I've noticed is I/O lag. And hopefully, that will be fixed with jelly bean.
One other thing, mine WOULD NOT OTA update. Had to d load to micro card.
Other than that, I LOVE MY INFINITY!

ethion

Jul 19, 2010
I don't see any issues with the building quality. I have not struggled to find flaws :D. my only complaint is lag and performance. Hopefully these are fixable sw issues that the jb update will fix or someone will create a good ROM to unleash this tablet.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Hawkmo0n

Jan 19, 2012
Build quality for mine is terrific. No complaints at all at this point.

Sitting in the airport lounge right now where my TF201 didn't get a WiFi signal. TF700 has -50dB at 54Mbps.

Build quality and performance are exactly what I would expect for a premium priced tablet.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using xda app-developers app

Jotokun

Apr 23, 2011
My first one was perfect physically, but I had to return it. My second one has the popping on the left and there's noticeable give on the bottom, right above the left keyboard dock slot (that is, you can push the screen into the casing). I'm guessing its not a big deal since there are others who have reported similar things.

Druidika

Mar 26, 2011
I have the popping sound when applying pressure to the display on the right side, kind of where the speaker sits. I used to have a slight bulge / screen seperation above the microSD slot, but that completely went away after I left my Infinity lieing in the sun for a few hours (not on purpose, I just forgot about it and that thing got HOT).

BPhoenix

Aug 16, 2012
I hope this is an isolated case (though my "popping" wasn't so severe, I didn't pay attention to it either!), but just so you know, this is what happened when I normally (no extra force) closed it with my dock station.

I initially ignored the problem too. So be careful when handling it around dock station (if I'm right, it's only bending which is created by dock station that can do this, simply holding it in hand or closing dock station by holding it in middle will not cause any cracks or damage).

Attachments

• crack2.jpg
    crack2.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 118