[XDATV] - PODCAST Thread (+MP3 Audio Podcast!)

Would you like XdaTv to be available as a podcast?

• Yes, I'd be more likely to watch it

Votes: 59 56.2%
  • Yes, YouTube is fine but podcast option would also be good

Votes: 33 31.4%
  • No, YouTube is fine we don't need a podcast too

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • I don't know what a podcast is.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • No, I don't like XdaTv so a podcast won't make any difference

Votes: 2 1.9%

• Total voters
Search This thread

meltwater

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 28, 2009
My contributions are as follows, and subject to change:

I will be providing dropbox links for any videos I do. Although as of late I have been short on content (ROM rundowns got tired after a little while) I have a few videos recorded.

Excellent, once you've PM'd me the 1st link, if you name the files to the YouTube id's [i.e. sO9NSfbi9MI.mp4], I can get the Podcast app to just look for any new files automatically in the same folder as and when you have them.

That is probably the easiest way. Once that is running smoothly, we can probably move the podcast file to a common area and then any of us can update it using the app.

Anyway, will look forward to your new videos too!

meltwater

Jan 28, 2009
Ok, the podcast is 5 videos behind, so I shall aim to grab the videos off youtube tonight and update.

Might start look into enabling the audio podcast too.

meltwater

Jan 28, 2009
Ok, all the latest videos uploaded last night.

That was until Chad posted his!!!! #@~###

Anyway, once I had all the videos in place, update took about 30 seconds...

meltwater

Jan 28, 2009
I'm away until the end of May so updates will return when I get back.

mike2nl

Jul 24, 2009
Near Utrecht
meltwater, so far i can help with my poor lua and m9 skill :p, i will help out. Don't be shy to ask me.

BTW:
sense util is nearly fixed.

meltwater

Jan 28, 2009
Back from holiday and I've updated the podcast with all the recent videos, enjoy and thanks for supporting the podcast.

Reactions: poyensa

meltwater

Jan 28, 2009
XdaTV Podcast - http://feeds.feedburner.com/XdaTv
XdaTV Audio Podcast - http://feeds.feedburner.com/XdaTvAudio

We now have an audio version of the podcast!

The audio podcast has mp3 links for all the videos from 1st May on-wards, I shall gradually add the missing ones as and when I get time to do so.

Alternatively if you are willing to do this, then let me know and I'll send you the info to do it - 29 files are needed, so should take an hour to do.

Please spread the Podcast links far and wide! The louder the voice Xda has, the more notice manufacturers will take of the development community.

Last edited:

meltwater

Jan 28, 2009
Got a PM after the last show begging for captions for viewers who can't hear the video for one reason or another. Any way that I can send you transcripts that post with the video?

Humm, I've not done anything with subtitles before, I guess they have to be time coded to sync them.
Also not sure what files, (idx/sub perhaps), work with the mp4 files. Also I don't know if the podcast format will support downloading of a subtitle file along with the subtitle file...

I guess if they just want a transcript, I can easily put a link for them to download/open up from the item details at least. Would that be any use?

I can get the podcast updater app to check for the file and add it just like the video/audio. If you want to save sending them I can get the app to check in a specified dropbox public folder of your choosing and then add the link to the notes if present.

meltwater

Jan 28, 2009
OH WAIT. Just discovered something FRIGGIN' COOL on YouTube. Apparently you can upload a transcript to youtube in either English or Japanese and it'll do what it can to sync the words. Gotta get svetius to try this.

OK no problem, let me know if I need to do anything to support it, quite happy to add anything to the podcast as long as I can automate it (otherwise I know I'll not update often enough).

Shall look forward to seeing!

meltwater

Jan 28, 2009
Problem for the podcast.... appears it is a victim of it's own success...

Drop box have informed me that the bandwidth usage is too high and have suspended the account temporarily.

Therefore we need a better hosting solution...

Stats are:
16,838 views of 66 items

Chances are without a new hosting solution I'll have to shut it down. :(

meltwater

Jan 28, 2009
If we can't host on xda we'll figure something out. Anyone have ideas just in case?

Sent from my PG86100 using XDA Premium App

Right!
The latest stats from feedburner sheds some light on why the bandwidth was so high!

46,818 views of 66 items

Ideas welcome for hosting, and I'm sure that the host details can be added to the podcast details as a reward. Wondering if getting in with Revision3 could be possible.

Something makes me think it's been noticed somewhere.

Last edited:

azrienoch

Have you seen nathanpc's unofficial xda tv app? I think it pulls from the dropbox. Actually makes a good complement, if you ask me. If that's true, you could ask him to stop, but he'd be faced with the same dilemma. It's up to you, but I think it is much better to work with him for solutions.

Sent from my GT-P1000 using XDA Premium App

meltwater

Jan 28, 2009
Have you seen nathanpc's unofficial xda tv app? I think it pulls from the dropbox. Actually makes a good complement, if you ask me. If that's true, you could ask him to stop, but he'd be faced with the same dilemma. It's up to you, but I think it is much better to work with him for solutions.

OH is that where he's been getting it from? IF that's the case then some kind of asking before hand would have been welcome. I'll look into it in any case.

I'd not been following the thread, but yes after totalling the bandwidth I believe he's moved it to his own space on Rackspace. Should mean the podcast will be unaffected now.

Last edited:

meltwater

Jan 28, 2009
Awesome, I love it when things work out by themselves.

Yep NathanPC is happy to work with me to keep the podcast running. In return I'll see what I can do to help him with his app... Hopefully win-win.

The podcast should now keep pace with the XdaTv app and therefore better with the youtube releases (rather than me finding time in the evenings to do the download/uploading etc). Will see if we can bring the audio one up to date and perhaps expand the XdaTv app features (this would be a good place to make use of the CC option if it works).

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Just found this, thanks for working on it! I'm just wondering where exactly you're at or how you maintain it, because I'm hearing that you convert and download them, then add them to the feed, am I correct? Even if there's not a way to download directly, there's got to be a way to automate the process. Let me know, I'm willing to help brainstorm ideas.
    FTP

I'd happily upload to my FTP, or any, for you in a set size and format, to save you the time. Would that be easier for you?
    My contributions are as follows, and subject to change:

I will be providing dropbox links for any videos I do. Although as of late I have been short on content (ROM rundowns got tired after a little while) I have a few videos recorded.
    Back from holiday and I've updated the podcast with all the recent videos, enjoy and thanks for supporting the podcast.
    Awesome, I love it when things work out by themselves.