Official MIUI V5 for ME860 and MB860

Search This thread

sheennick123456

Dec 5, 2007
MUMBAI
Now that MIUI was working, the next thing I needed was Google apps --- particularly the Play Store so I could install more apps.

I tried gapps packages from MIUI v5 ROM for Atrix 4G and epinter's CM 10.1 but they both had problems, such as the Play Store would force close.

Finally, I tried the gapps package from MIUI for Atrix HD (yeah, I know, it's a different phone) and it worked! :victory:

Or you can use this to install required gooogle appps

http://en.miui.com/thread-3998-1-1.html

sunaku

Aug 16, 2012
The main problem I'm having with this ROM is that my phone's display does not always turn on correctly after locking: the hardware buttons light up but the screen remains off. :(

When my phone gets into this state, the only workaround I found (through random experimentation) was to press the power button (to re-lock and turn off the display), wait for 5 seconds, and then press the power button again. After doing that, the screen turns on correctly and I see the MIUI lock screen. :cowboy:

Is anyone else seeing this problem? I wonder how we can report this bug to santajin (the developer of this ROM)... perhaps here? :confused:

palmbeach05

Oct 12, 2012
Motorola Atrix HD
AT&T Samsung Galaxy S III
Thanks for the tip! I found the exact bug on the Kernel issue tracker. :good:

Is it possible to flash a newer kernel (just the kernel, nothing else) on top of my existing MIUI ROM installation? :confused:

If you extract the new kernel and package it up with the existing boot.img, and combo that with the lib/module directory, then yes

Sent from my MB886 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: Foo Bar and sunaku

sheennick123456

Dec 5, 2007
MUMBAI
Nice find, thanks! I did not try it yet because I don't have a Xiaomi account. :eek:

Do the other necessary Google services APKs (such as contacts sync, backup transport, etc.) get installed when you install the Play Store from Xiaomi Market? :confused:

Yes it will automatically show you the list of dependent services that you will have to install. :good:

sunaku

Aug 16, 2012
If you extract the new kernel and package it up with the existing boot.img, and combo that with the lib/module directory, then yes

Hmm.. :confused: I don't think I understand completely. Please bear with me. :eek:

1. Download the newest kernel package (cm-10.1-20131211-UNOFFICIAL-epinter-olympus.zip) from epinter's CM 10.1 at http://www.linuxmobile.org/atrix/cm10-1
  2. Extract the lib/modules/ directory from that ZIP onto my computer
  3. Modify the MIUI V5 package (miui_me860_santajin_4.1.24_2d6ed01966_4.2.zip) by replacing its lib/modules/ directory with the stuff I extracted above in step #2
  4. Install the modified MIUI V5 package created above in step #3

Is this what you meant? Am I doing something wrong? :angel:

palmbeach05

Oct 12, 2012
Motorola Atrix HD
Hmm.. :confused: I don't think I understand completely. Please bear with me. :eek:

1. Download the newest kernel package (cm-10.1-20131211-UNOFFICIAL-epinter-olympus.zip) from epinter's CM 10.1 at http://www.linuxmobile.org/atrix/cm10-1
  2. Extract the lib/modules/ directory from that ZIP onto my computer
  3. Modify the MIUI V5 package (miui_me860_santajin_4.1.24_2d6ed01966_4.2.zip) by replacing its lib/modules/ directory with the stuff I extracted above in step #2
  4. Install the modified MIUI V5 package created above in step #3

Is this what you meant? Am I doing something wrong? :angel:

Close, very close.

You need cygwin and the unpack and pack files to decompile and recompile the boot.imgs

But as far as the package goes, you would make it similar to the kernel update packages krystian is releasing

Silvarion

Nov 14, 2013
My comments on MIUI v5

Hello everyone,

I tried this ROM on my Atrix 4G.

The bugs I found are:
  • No keyboard
    • Workaround, install any keyboard application from the play store
  • Bad battery issues - No calibration possible
    • Battery only charges up to a range between 60% and 70%. Used all tutorials for recalibration and nothing worked.
    • On shutdown, battery level is jinxed, shows Invalid Battery icon forever tested 2 batteries in two phones, MIUI giving always the same results
  • Black screen after lock - random
  • Hangs from time to time (random apparently)

I used it for about a week, I love it, but can't keep using it because of the battery issues.

If you guys have any tip to solve this, I'm all ears!

BTW, the camera functions perfectly for shots and videos. Can these drivers be used in CyanogenMod 10.1? Since this is a ROM based on CM10???

sunaku

Aug 16, 2012
Close, very close.

You need cygwin and the unpack and pack files to decompile and recompile the boot.imgs

But as far as the package goes, you would make it similar to the kernel update packages krystian is releasing

Thanks for the tip! I took one of kryistianp's Kernel update ZIPs, filled it up with /system/lib/modules from epinter's CM 10.1, and flashed the resulting ZIP onto my phone. The problem reduced but was not eliminated completely. The screen turned back on more consistently (retrying worked after waiting for 2 seconds after a wake failure) but it still happened sometimes. :cowboy:

I guess I'll just have to wait for santajin to release a new ROM version and pray that someday it would be fixed. :angel:

Hello everyone,

The bugs I found are:
  • No keyboard
    • Battery only charges up to a range between 60% and 70%. Used all tutorials for recalibration and nothing worked.
    • On shutdown, battery level is jinxed, shows Invalid Battery icon forever tested 2 batteries in two phones, MIUI giving always the same results

I used it for about a week, I love it, but can't keep using it because of the battery issues.

BTW, the camera functions perfectly for shots and videos. Can these drivers be used in CyanogenMod 10.1? Since this is a ROM based on CM10???

Ah yes sorry, I forgot to mention that there's no built-in keyboard APK. I had to download one off the Play Store on my computer, copy it to my phone, and then install it manually.

I didn't have any battery problems. Mine charges up to 100% and discharges at a rate of 10% per hour of active use with "Auto" brightness and power settings on "balance" mode.

The black screen after lock can be worked-around by (1) pressing the power button and watching the hardware keys' lights turn off, (2) waiting for 2 - 5 seconds, and (3) pressing the power button again. Now the screen should turn on correctly.

I didn't observe any hangs (random or otherwise) during use.

Hope that helps! :D MIUI rocks! :victory:

sunaku

Aug 16, 2012
Great news! The new 4.2.7 ROM seems to have fixed the black screen problem! :victory:

EDIT: Alas, I spoke too soon. :( The problem still exists because the 4.2.7 ROM still uses the same kernel version. :(

Last edited:

sunaku

Aug 16, 2012
Good news, everyone! :angel:

I was able to fix the blank screen issue by upgrading to a newer kernel, as palmbeach05 suggested.

Now my phone's screen turns on correctly every time I press the power button! :victory:

Here's how I did it under Debian GNU/Linux. :cowboy: First, extract the ROM's boot image:

Code:
$ aunpack miui_me860_santajin_4.2.7_58b76313b6_4.2.zip

$ cd miui_me860_santajin_4.2.7_58b76313b6_4.2

$ abootimg -x boot.img
writing boot image config in bootimg.cfg
extracting kernel in zImage
extracting ramdisk in initrd.img

$ cd ..

Now extract krystianp's boot image and then modify it to include the ROM's initrd.img filesystem image and finally flash the result: :fingers-crossed:

Code:
$ aunpack kernel-2014_02_10_01_49_cm10_1.zip

$ cd kernel-2014_02_10_01_49_cm10_1

$ abootimg -x boot.img

$ abootimg --create boot.img -f bootimg.cfg -k zImage -r ../miui_me860_santajin_4.2.7_58b76313b6_4.2/initrd.img
reading config file bootimg.cfg
reading kernel from zImage
reading ramdisk from ../miui_me860_santajin_4.2.7_58b76313b6_4.2/initrd.img
boot.img: updated is too big for the Boot Image (4268032 vs 4216832 bytes)

$ printf 'bootsize = 0x%x\n' 4268032 >> bootimg.cfg

$ abootimg --create boot.img -f bootimg.cfg -k zImage -r ../miui_me860_santajin_4.2.7_58b76313b6_4.2/initrd.img
Writing Boot Image boot.img

$ sudo fastboot flash boot boot.img
sending 'boot' (4168 KB)...
OKAY [  0.756s]
writing 'boot'...
OKAY [  0.927s]
finished. total time: 1.683s

$ sudo fastboot reboot
rebooting...

finished. total time: 0.004s

Congrats! You have successfully injected a newer kernel into the ROM! :victory:

For your convenience, if you lack the tools/knowledge to follow the steps shown above, I have prepared a ClockWorkMod-flashable update ZIP file containing the boot image I built above. :cool:

Enjoy!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-02-12-11-17-21.png
    Screenshot_2014-02-12-11-17-21.png
    70.1 KB · Views: 934
Last edited:

renoob

Aug 20, 2011
Portland
Hello everyone,

The bugs I found are:
  • No keyboard

The MIUI camera seems very similar to the CM 10.1 camera, and in fact in "About Phone", I see this MIUI is based off of cm-10.1-20131107.

As for the keyboard, I like this AOSP version:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2oyhk58ifgro5gn/Android ASOP LatinIME.apk

And Nemus Launcher fits the bill most excellently for an alternative launcher.
Enable it in Settings>General>Display>Preferred Launcher.

ps: @sunaku many thanks for the kernel update!

palmbeach05

Oct 12, 2012
Motorola Atrix HD

I was able to fix the blank screen issue by upgrading to a newer kernel, as palmbeach05 suggested.

Now my phone's screen turns on correctly every time I press the power button! :victory:

Here's how I did it under Debian GNU/Linux. :cowboy: First, extract the ROM's boot image:

Code:

$ abootimg -x boot.img

$ cd ..

Now extract krystianp's boot image and then modify it to include the ROM's initrd.img filesystem image and finally flash the result: :fingers-crossed:

Code:

$ abootimg -x boot.img

OKAY [  0.756s]
writing 'boot'...
OKAY [  0.927s]

$ sudo fastboot reboot
rebooting...

For your convenience, if you lack the tools/knowledge to follow the steps shown above, I have prepared a ClockWorkMod-flashable update ZIP file containing the boot image I built above. :cool:

Enjoy!

I use windows 7 and cygwin to do what you just did. Nicely done and good job. Assuming that was done with linux/ubuntu?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello XDA,

(I'm posting this link here because I don't have enough posts to reply to the [ROM] MIUI v5 3.7.19 English thread.)

I was browsing the English MIUI website today and found that the Motorola Atrix 4G was listed as a supported device! :victory:

1. Official ROM package: http://en.miui.com/download-48.html
    2. Kernel update package: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/s1am14hv1463bse/kcTzU7sneq or do it yourself instructions: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=50270128&postcount=35 :cowboy:
    3. Basic soft keyboard: http://storage.evozi.com/apk/dl/13/...ard.apk?h=2w9QQkC1civRGTlZnZ_1kw&t=1393030263 (you'll need this, or another soft keyboard APK of your choice, because this ROM does not come with a soft keyboard!)
    4. Google Apps package: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2482592 (search for "gapps core" on that page)

It's meant for the international version (ME860) but I think it should work it works on the US version (MB860) just fine.

Cheers.

Code:

$ abootimg -x boot.img

$ cd ..

Code:

$ abootimg -x boot.img

OKAY [  0.756s]
    writing 'boot'...
    OKAY [  0.927s]

$ sudo fastboot reboot
    rebooting...

Enjoy!
    I contacted santajin on his MIUI profile page about our problems and he replied! :highfive:

2014-02-13
    sunaku:
    Hi santajin! The ME860 4.2.7 (V5) ROM lacks a soft-keyboard. And I had to upgrade the 3.1 kernel to fix screen wake problems: http://xdaforums.com/ ... 270128#post50270128 Thank you! :)
    santajin:
    System partition is too small to add a build-in input method.
    For Screen wake, i will check the kernel you mentioned!
    Thanks for your support

So look forward for these problem to be fixed upstream in future releases of this ROM. :victory:
    Thanks for the tip! I found the exact bug on the Kernel issue tracker. :good:

Is it possible to flash a newer kernel (just the kernel, nothing else) on top of my existing MIUI ROM installation? :confused:

Now that MIUI was working, the next thing I needed was Google apps --- particularly the Play Store so I could install more apps.

I tried gapps packages from MIUI v5 ROM for Atrix 4G and epinter's CM 10.1 but they both had problems, such as the Play Store would force close.

Finally, I tried the gapps package from MIUI for Atrix HD (yeah, I know, it's a different phone) and it worked! :victory:

Or you can use this to install required gooogle appps

http://en.miui.com/thread-3998-1-1.html