[Q] Nexus 7 suddenly bricked ?

Search This thread

LuxioCR

Jun 23, 2014
Hello all, so yesterday I went on my tablet (Nexus 7 2013 WIFI ver.) and browsed the net a bit and went to sleep. I recall having around 30% battery power. This morning I wake up to an apparently flat battery (power button didn't turn on anything) so I just plugged it in and did something else. After a while, I took my tablet and started it with the power button. However, it got stuck on the Google logo and never fired up anything. I've rooted the tablet quite some time ago (months) so the cause is not from there.

Things I haven't recently done:
  • Installing an app.
  • Rooting or flashing anything.
  • Updating an app.

Things I have tried doing to fix the problem:
  • Booting into FASTBOOT then trying the recovery mode = still stuck on the Google logo.
  • Booting a custom recovery image using Wug's toolkit = frozen at the team logo (TWRP) / black screen (CWM).
  • Flash Stock + Unroot (Soft-Bricked/Bootloop) = FAILED (flash write failure).

So now I'm really stuck and desperate to make the device work again. I've been reading all day long and trying all sorts of solutions to no avail. And it seems far-fetched to me for a device like this to just instantly brick itself without any reason at all.

Can anyone help me with this case ? Or does anyone has any idea what just happened to my tablet ? :( :crying:

EDIT: I'm afraid that warranty might not work as the device was unlocked and rooted so it's the last solution for me.

Last edited:

LuxioCR

Jun 23, 2014
Bumpity bump

No one has any idea what happened to the tablet and how to fix it ? I've tried doing some more flashing but to no avail. It just refuses to flash and keeps failing to write the files.

ezas

Jan 14, 2011
I think you need to leave out on the charger for 1/2hr without doing anything with it. You are probably using what little power it has charged by trying to reboot it, etc.

I had to do that once and it did the trick.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Free mobile app

MikeNaples

Aug 10, 2013
Naples
There is no reason you should not be able to get in to recovery (power and volume down).
You could call Motorola. They have good tech support.

nexusjas

Jun 27, 2014
The exact same thing happened to me. I rooted it months ago and haven't changed a thing since then. It just froze up a few days ago. I restarted and it just gets stuck on the google screen. I can get into the bootloader, but when I try to go to recovery, the google screen comes up and won't go away. I've tried every method I can find for flashing the stock image and absolutely nothing is working. I just get stuck on the google screen.

Please update this if you find a solution!

wantabe

Mar 8, 2011
Colorado Springs
Yep. I've flashed the stock recovery multiple times to no avail. :/
If you can't get into recovery or flash any images it sounds to me like a hardware failure. Bad memory maybe? If you've tried everything then RMA to Asus before the one year warranty runs out. :(

Have you tried to see if your computer sees your N7 by typing fastboot devices if you have the sdk installed?

Last edited:

nexusjas

Jun 27, 2014
I was to slow with my update. Does your computer see your N7 with fastboot?

Yes, I can get into the bootloader just fine and I can use fastboot. I go through the flashing process and the command prompt says everything flashed successfully, but when I restart the device, it hangs on the google logo. The same thing happens when I try to boot into recovery.

wantabe

Mar 8, 2011
Colorado Springs
Yes, I can get into the bootloader just fine and I can use fastboot. I go through the flashing process and the command prompt says everything flashed successfully, but when I restart the device, it hangs on the google logo. The same thing happens when I try to boot into recovery.
If you fastboot flashed the factory image and can't boot up then it sounds like a hardware problem. Out of ideas, sorry.

nexusjas

Jun 27, 2014
If you fastboot flashed the factory image and can't boot up then it sounds like a hardware problem. Out of ideas, sorry.

I'm not sure what happened, but I just ran this little utility again (I've done it many times over the last week or so to no avail) and it actually worked. Hopefully it keeps working!

Thanks for your help!