Xoom uses gorilla glass

Search This thread

mowgli.je

Dec 31, 2011
could be true my xoom when flying off the roof of a car at 45mph and didnt even have a scratch on it. What a product :)

Ha...and there's me always allocating a spot inside the car for my Xoom, guess I needn't be so concerned :cool:

Agreed, great product, I have a couple of nicks on the edge of mine but the screen still looks flawless!

willysp

Apr 6, 2010
Sure it does. Gorilla glass it scratch proof and the only thing that a protector is going to protect you from is scratches. It's not going to protect the device from shattering if dropped, neither is gorilla glass.

gorilla glass makes screen protectors moot.

Not correct. It's scratch-resistant, not-scratch proof.

Plain old sand in your pocket will scratch it it. Google it - plenty of posts saying what I just said.

shah_jee

Jan 20, 2011
Tora Bora
Not sure whether I would believe in that Corning gorilla website and literally all smartphones are listed as having gorilla glass. Take the HTC wildfire, my wife dropped hers in the car park and the top screen shattered.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA App

brandogg

Jul 27, 2008
It doesn't mean it's shatter proof. Gorilla glass really is strong though, but if you drop any cell phone on pavement, don't hope for miracles. It's still glass.

integramodder

Mar 12, 2011
San Francisco
I work for corning, and when it comes to what products do and dont have gorilla, they keep it very hush hush.. Pretty much sounds like its a need to know type thing. They only put it on the website if they get the ok from the manufacture, which you can do a search on motorolas website for gorilla glass, and motorola will come out saying "x" phone has it, but yet corning hasnt updated the gorilla glass website. grrrr

A customer of mine is working with corning, says they're a good company to deal with...

willysp

Apr 6, 2010
Pretty safe to say the Xoom won't suffer from this - unless you have HUGE pockets :)

Yeah, you're right - I was thinking of my Photon when I posted that and realized later what I did!

But, my point wrt GG still valid, of course if you use your Xoom outdoors or exposed to sand.

I've just seen too many posts in the last (almost) year where people still get scratches even when being careful.

And no, I don't have huge pockets! My bad! :)

psmedley

May 5, 2011
Adelaide
Yeah, you're right - I was thinking of my Photon when I posted that and realized later what I did!

But, my point wrt GG still valid, of course if you use your Xoom outdoors or exposed to sand.

I've just seen too many posts in the last (almost) year where people still get scratches even when being careful.

And no, I don't have huge pockets! My bad! :)

lol - agree with your point - just not the bit about the pockets :)

Top Liked Posts